Which category to choose

Morning (evening?) all!

I am soon ready to submit the first chapter of my story! It's a big milestone for me, so I have been researching a little.

It appears that the category you choose for your story is crucial when it comes to advertising your work. And I want readers as much as the next guy.

My story will be a Fantasy novel with a strong BDSM component. A lot of sex, yes, but the story will take center stage.

So, I was thinking I should publish it as Fantasy.

But, wouldn't the BDSM crowd usually go to the BDSM section to read? Wouldn't it be better to publish in the BDSM category and give the story a fantasyish name like 'The Dragon Unicorn Wizard Quest Story'?

But, and there is another but: I am writing a novel. What about the Novel category? Is that a viable option?

And suggestions?

Morning (evening?) all!

I am soon ready to submit the first chapter of my story! It's a big milestone for me, so I have been researching a little.

It appears that the category you choose for your story is crucial when it comes to advertising your work. And I want readers as much as the next guy.

My story will be a Fantasy novel with a strong BDSM component. A lot of sex, yes, but the story will take center stage.

So, I was thinking I should publish it as Fantasy.

But, wouldn't the BDSM crowd usually go to the BDSM section to read? Wouldn't it be better to publish in the BDSM category and give the story a fantasyish name like 'The Dragon Unicorn Wizard Quest Story'?

But, and there is another but: I am writing a novel. What about the Novel category? Is that a viable option?

And suggestions?

Probably either Fantasy or BDSM would be workable. If you're posting it in Fantasy perhaps leave a note at the start of the story to give some idea of the content, although Fantasy readers tend to be fairly cosmopolitan.

Novels is a pretty quiet category, probably because it's not very helpful for readers trying to find specific types of content.

Probably either Fantasy or BDSM would be workable. If you're posting it in Fantasy perhaps leave a note at the start of the story to give some idea of the content, although Fantasy readers tend to be fairly cosmopolitan.

Novels is a pretty quiet category, probably because it's not very helpful for readers trying to find specific types of content.

Thank you!

Perhaps all those kinky Drow Priestesses have acclimatized them? ;-)

For me, BDSM should be staged exclusively in the real world. Like, something that you can actually experience in real life.

Even when I do alternative timeline settings (for example settings where we have our world almost exactly as it is now, but where slavery is allowed) - I still post it in fantasy.

It may be my own thing, but something tells me that many fantasy things like medieval age or elves and magical beasts will be not appreciated by the BDSM readership.

To reach out for your BDSM readers, make sure you get your tags right and maybe work on your title and description so that your bondage and submission themes are explicitly there. That way you will reach out to those readers.

For me, BDSM should be staged exclusively in the real world. Like, something that you can actually experience in real life.

Even when I do alternative timeline settings (for example settings where we have our world almost exactly as it is now, but where slavery is allowed) - I still post it in fantasy.

It may be my own thing, but something tells me that many fantasy things like medieval age or elves and magical beasts will be not appreciated by the BDSM readership.

To reach out for your BDSM readers, make sure you get your tags right and maybe work on your title and description so that your bondage and submission themes are explicitly there. That way you will reach out to those readers.

Well, you have convinced me now!:)

I will put it into the Fantasy category, and tag and label it as a story where the male hero may not necessarily get everything his own way. :D

Bonus question: How long does it usually take from submission to publication?

usually 2-3 days.
But over the past month I've seen 2 threads already about posting taking more than a week.
It may have to do with category, I'm not sure. Like, for example, non-con category needing more time to check.:cattail:

usually 2-3 days.
But over the past month I've seen 2 threads already about posting taking more than a week.
It may have to do with category, I'm not sure. Like, for example, non-con category needing more time to check.:cattail:

Thank you!

I was hoping to get it out at the very start of 2017. We will just have to wait and see.

I have finished about 7 of the 20 or so scenes I want of the first chapter.

Bonus question: How long does it usually take from submission to publication?

The only person who can really answer that is Laurel who reviews ALL new submissions.

But - my views on it:

A non-contest story takes longer when a themed contest is accepting stories as Winter Holidays is now - last day today. Contest stories take priority.

New author's stories take longer because they have to be checked more carefully.

Any stories that get close to the edge of the rules on age, bestiality, non-consent, particularly from new authors also take longer.

Copy and paste bare text into the submissions box is faster than Word files.

Minimal use of the permitted HTML coding - bold, italics - is faster than extensive use.

The only person who can really answer that is Laurel who reviews ALL new submissions.

But - my views on it:

A non-contest story takes longer when a themed contest is accepting stories as Winter Holidays is now - last day today. Contest stories take priority.

New author's stories take longer because they have to be checked more carefully.

Any stories that get close to the edge of the rules on age, bestiality, non-consent, particularly from new authors also take longer.

Copy and paste bare text into the submissions box is faster than Word files.

Minimal use of the permitted HTML coding - bold, italics - is faster than extensive use.

Thank you!

Apart from being a new author, I should have nothing to worry about. I would never consider writing in anything but raw text!:D

The holidays may not be when Laurel has the most time for this, but if I submit before Christmas I ought to be all right. Still 13 scenes to write, though...

Back