Ashley Madison... hacked

You seem to have a very narrow definition of morality,

That statement is probably fair. The rest of your rant isn't well informed and reeks of so much pain and hate that I simply don't feel like taking it on. You're going straight to ignore. I hope you get past whatever hurt you so badly.

Without defending or engaging anyone's opinions, I remember reading about AM a few years back, the owner was interviewed IIRC. I vaguely recall he was male, and also claimed to be happily married. His wife was presumably ok with the business or I question how happy his marriage would have been.

I don't think either gender has a lock on making money via misery.

The owner presumably had access to the database. If 1% of his clientele was female, that gave him access to 140,000 women who were up for whatever, and he probably wouldn't have had much interest in monogamy. It's possibly the sites income was a very secondary concern.

Crawling from the woodwork . . .

There's been a bit of fall-out since the AH problem kicked off:

See HERE.

As if the hacking itself was not bad, there's THIS:
"Five months after the adulterer-friendly dating website Ashley Madison was spectacularly hacked, it seems blackmailers are still trying to dig their claws into people who signed up to the site."

See HERE for more bad news.

You gotta love the crooks on the internet. Someone sends me a blackmail email, I'd laugh and send it right to the junk folder. :D:cool:

Another privacy breach, this time from AdultFriendFinder and some connected sites.

If you've ever created an AFF account, even if you requested deletion, chances are your info is in the leak. Hope you used a fake name and disposable email.

Another privacy breach, this time from AdultFriendFinder and some connected sites.

If you've ever created an AFF account, even if you requested deletion, chances are your info is in the leak. Hope you used a fake name and disposable email.

This one's larger, but apparently a little less detailed. They've been accused of storing personal data unencrypted, and storing passwords in a form an intelligent highschooler could break. In short, they're idiots.

Even if your intentions are innocent - even if you're only doing research - NEVER give real information to a site with a sexual orientation. They'll be hacked (dating sites especially have information on available and willing females after all, an irresistible bait), and the evidence is mounting that they're run by sleezeball organizations that don't understand the first thing about computer security. Once your name gets into the wild, there's no way to convince anyone, including future employers, that you weren't doing exactly what everyone else there was doing.

Just don't.

Addendum: US folk should also keep in mind that the NSA is believed to have broken SSL. Ungeeked language: that https:// you use to keep people from seeing what you're reading? If the NSA decides you're interesting it probably means nothing. Sleep well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one's larger, but apparently a little less detailed. They've been accused of storing personal data unencrypted, and storing passwords in a form an intelligent highschooler could break. In short, they're idiots.

Yep, it sounds like the data leaked was a bit less, but since it includes passwords it then unlocks a whole lot more. (And looks as if some of the passwords were plaintext? Jesus wept.*)

Even if your intentions are innocent - even if you're only doing research - NEVER give real information to a site with a sexual orientation. They'll be hacked (dating sites especially have information on available and willing females after all, an irresistible bait), and the evidence is mounting that they're run by sleezeball organizations that don't understand the first thing about computer security. Once your name gets into the wild, there's no way to convince anyone, including future employers, that you weren't doing exactly what everyone else there was doing.

Just don't.

BTW, all the people who've suggested "fixing" story contests/negative comments/etc. by requiring users to log in? This is why it's a very bad idea.

*especially if he had an AFF account.

Back