In a Sunburned Country Story Event: Official Support Thread

It's so good to see so many of us stepping up with ideas for stories and eager to join in, especially in a totally noncompetitive story event. Great to see some new names who haven't been seen in the Author's Hangout as well. Lovely to see you here and joining in, especially some of you who are new to Literotica. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There's more than enough help available for anything you're not sure about.

I do like the non-competitive aspect of this - there's no places, no category restrictions - just step up and write and nobody's going to judge. It should be a totally fascinating range of stories, that's for sure. Really looking forward to seeing them all in early November.

372b8a1c596d664d43011332af3d539a.jpg

HI All,

I've just come back from the top end and played with the jumping crocodiles of the Adelaide River. The crocodile signs in use since 2000 are not the big scary yellow ones anymore. For those considering doing a thriller with the wildlife of our country. :D

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/D376XK/cr...-victoria-river-northern-territory-D376XK.jpg

The image was too big for the page, lol so just a link for those interested.

For those that know me on FB I will post pics of some of the bigger jumpers once I sort through all the pics I took over the last week. :D

Last edited:
I love maps. That one reveals a lot of interesting information.

What's striking about Australia is that so much of the population lives in one relatively small portion of the continent. The US also has large, relatively uninhabited spaces, but not to the degree Australia has.
As we say it here, once you get inland fifty miles from the coast, there's pretty much five-fifths of fuck all.

Car trips can be quite long.

What's striking about Australia is that so much of the population lives in one relatively small portion of the continent. The US also has large, relatively uninhabited spaces, but not to the degree Australia has.

That's probably because the uninhabited areas are mostly desert in Australia, lol

From Wikipedia: Named deserts of Australia cover 1,371,000 square kilometres (529,000 sq mi), or 18% of the Australian mainland. However, approximately 35% of the Australian continent receives so little rain it is effectively desert.

And a map of that:

Population-density-australia-June-2016.jpg

Compared to USA (note different colour scale):
usa-population-density.png

Australia seems like a wrinkly-edged Wyoming. With sailing and occasional tennis.

Dibs. I’m using that in my story.

G'day. If anyone needs a beta reader to make sure their aussie-isms are up to scratch I'll happily take a look at them. Darwin, east coast of Queensland, Far North Queensland (FNQ) and most sports would be my areas of 'expertise'.

P.S. do we really say 'Bonza'? Must be a southern state thing :confused:

Is there an American equivalent to Paul Hogan? A comical representative of the country? I can't think of one but that might be because I'm American.

He's orange, he tweets a lot and he was recently in England.

That's a useful perspective, shows really well that so much of Australia is nearer the equator - and how big the country is. I often get the sense that folk from the northern hemisphere think Australia is quite a bit smaller than it actually is.

Oz is 32 square miles smaller than the contiguous USA - the lower 48, so it depends whether the tide is in or out.:)

The population of OZ is less than that of Texas.

Oz is 32 square miles smaller than the contiguous USA - the lower 48, so it depends whether the tide is in or out.:)

The population of OZ is less than that of Texas.

Australia has a population density of 3 people per square kilometer. That's a lot of room for people

The figure for the US is 33 people per square kilometer -- 11 times as many, and that includes Alaska, the largest and least densely populated state by far.

But even that number isn't that high. The UK has 265 people per square kilometer -- over 8 times that of the US, and almost 90 times Australia.

Singapore has 8188 people per square kilometer.

There's lots and lots of space in Australia.

There's lots and lots of space in Australia.
Lots and lots of nothing, too.

To answer your other question about the great American cliches (the equivalent of Paul Hogan):
- loud, obnoxious American tourists in Hawaiian shirts, usually Californians,
- Texans wearing hats with the brims turned up at the side so they can sit three abreast in a pick-up truck,
- large, obnoxious American tourists in... wait, that's all we see here, being bussed around from cruise ships, looking for kangaroos and koalas.
There's a reason behind the drop-bear mythology, the way it's developed - it's to make the place quieter ;).

Is there an American equivalent to Paul Hogan? A comical representative of the country? I can't think of one but that might be because I'm American.

Lots and lots of nothing, too.

To answer your other question about the great American cliches (the equivalent of Paul Hogan):
- loud, obnoxious American tourists in Hawaiian shirts, usually Californians,
- Texans wearing hats with the brims turned up at the side so they can sit three abreast in a pick-up truck,
- large, obnoxious American tourists in... wait, that's all we see here, being bussed around from cruise ships, looking for kangaroos and koalas.
There's a reason behind the drop-bear mythology, the way it's developed - it's to make the place quieter ;).

Would Clint Eastwood do? He may not be intentionally comical, but he does seem to fit the stereotypes

Yeah, Clint might have worked in a post-WWII sense when the stereotypical American wasn't quite as buffoonish. But these days you'd need someone bigger, louder, more opinionated. Chris Farley might stand is as the American stereotype if he was still around. John Goodman could play the character, but I don't think that's who he actually is. Roseanne Barr maybe?

As much as I hate to say it, I think EB was right in his suggestion. The best pop-culutre representation of the stereotypical American buffoon is the one we elected to lead us. :eek:

Back