disable anon comments

How do I disable anon comments?

Letting trolls run free is definitely a long term issue on this site. It inspires authors to become trolls. What a pathetic system. I guess the people that run this place just don't give a fuck about their authors.

TILT! This Web site does show it cares about this because it DOES let you turn off anon comments (go to your Submissions page, click on Options under Main, and it give you the option of not accepting anonymous comments).

No other Web site I post stories to gives me this option. Also, no other Web site I post stories to gives me control over leaving an individual comment on my stories or just erasing it.

Think you need to rethink your ire and not be so quick to fire from the hip.
 
I agree it's a good read. Doesn't have anything to do with your knee-jerk reaction to the Web site that gives you more power over this than any other Web site I've posted to, though. Your thread is just over-the-top off base.

That said, my option would be not to allow any anonymous voting. Anonymous comments don't bother me, because they are overwhelmingly positive for most authors, I think--and because you can just zap any comments you don't want to have appended to your stories. This is an extraordinary power the Web site is giving to authors.
 
Last edited:
So you got a nasty comment. You can erase it. The Web site, contrary to your over-the-top OP allows you to do that--and no other Web site I post to does.

But then you need to remember that you put me on ignore. That means you didn't read my post, doesn't it?
 
Well from your comments it doesn't sound like you read the troll essay otherwise you wouldn't have come up with the response you did. Besides I just got a nasty comment from Licketysplit. A poster Troll that is used to trash accounts. So what the Troll essay says remains the same. Disabling anon comments does fuck all. Every word of that essay makes total sense. Read it! Literotica get your shit together and make this site author friendly.

I read the essay, but it seemed to me it was just guessing at what kind of people are "trolls." The author may be correct, or not, but it's not like they offered proof. And I disagree with the claim/guess that "most" trolls are writers.

No site is going to be completely author friendly. It's been that way even before the internet. When people can be anonymous, a large number of them will, unfortunately, take that opportunity to be vitriolic.

Even requiring a username will not dissuade dedicated "trolls." At least here, you do have some control, such as disabling voting or anonymous comments. Plus you can delete comments. I know a lot of people leave them up no matter what, but you don't have to. If someone trolls you, you can delete it and I think you should. No one is obligated to leave up trollish comments to prove they can take it, or are bigger than the commenter, or anything like that. It's your story, your account, do what you like.

If someone seems to be targeting you, send a PM to Laurel with specifics. I think she's as responsive to that stuff as she can be.
 
sld, you have highlighted an internet-wide problem; the Troll.
Now, if I understand it right, a Troll may be defined as one who is deliberately abusive to no easily-understood end, other than being abusive for its own sake.

If I read a story and think it's junk, I generally do not comment, nor do I score it. When I do, I do it as "anon" more times than not. That said, I usually sign it 'HP' so as to assure the author that I'm no troll.

So please do not paste me with the same trollish brush you seem to assume is the weapon of we Anonymous contributors/ commenters.
 
And again, none of her stories have comments. She either is quick to delete them or no one bothers to post them.

Back from another vacation? :rolleyes:
 
You mean not only did the OP understand the author had power over comments on Literotica, but also that the OP actually already was exercising that power?

Terrific. That's certainly grounds for having a tantrum about it. :rolleyes:
 
...what was asshole-ish or fuckwadish about sr71plt's initial response? He might not have couched it in super-gentle or friendly terms, but there was nothing insulting or confrontational about it. Regardless of whether or not I agree with him (and I do, on that particular point), responding to a differing view with this level of rage doesn't exactly help you present your own points.
 
Trolling/cyberbullying is the price we pay for anonymity on the internet. It's a small price, really, compared to the alternative.

That doesn't make it any less irritating, though.
 
Maybe my own personal troll was SusanJParker, your number 1 author because I refused her advances, cause she's older than dirt. It seemed the messages were in her style of writing. Hmmm I wonder.

Of course SusanJParker is a male from Boston named Freddie (who probably isn't all that old), posting under half a dozen other aliases, who is so busy writing he probably doesn't have time to stalk anyone. :rolleyes:

Or did you do something to set Freddie off?
 
Oops that was SusanJillParker. Not Freddie afterall.

Trust me (others can tell you too). SusanJillParker is a man named Freddie, who originally posted here as BOSTONFICTIONWRITER. (Or don't trust me and live in ignorance on the issue). If you rile him (which I could see you doing), he will bite. But I don't think he'll take the time to stalk.
 
Back
Top