Metalheads & Writers

That's one killer selection. Love me some Overkill and Metal Church. I only know Nuclear Assault from their bassist being in S.O.D.

I'm on somewhat of a tech trip tonight. I had Death's "Symbolic", Watchtower's "Control and Resistance" (epic ear piercing scream machine!) and to cool off "Altered State" and "Polaris" by Tesseract. Normally I'm absolutely not into math metal, but these guys do have a certain something. Also, doing a fucking tentacle sex video gets them a lot of points in my book.

https://youtu.be/NejzABZAoOI

Hmm, I've got a list....

My gateway drug was Iron Maiden. From there, i chanced upon Blind Guardian, and have been seeking new sound ever since.

I listen to (in addition and among other musical sources):
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Nightwish
Edguy
Avantasia
Powerwolf
Demons and Wizards
Gamma Ray
Iron Savior
Wintersun
Rhapsody (Of Fire)

A few more out-there or minor ones are:
Pelican
Holy Grail
Unleash the Archers

Special Shout-Out to the Folk Metals across the world. Finding more Folk Metal of different styles is a major goal of mine.
TierraMystica (Andean/Incan)
Myrath (Arabian)
Tengger Cavelry (Mongolian)
Alestorm (Pirate)

Hmm, I've got a list....

My gateway drug was Iron Maiden. From there, i chanced upon Blind Guardian, and have been seeking new sound ever since.

I listen to (in addition and among other musical sources):
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Nightwish
Edguy
Avantasia
Powerwolf
Demons and Wizards
Gamma Ray
Iron Savior
Wintersun
Rhapsody (Of Fire)

A few more out-there or minor ones are:
Pelican
Holy Grail
Unleash the Archers

Special Shout-Out to the Folk Metals across the world. Finding more Folk Metal of different styles is a major goal of mine.
TierraMystica (Andean/Incan)
Myrath (Arabian)
Tengger Cavelry (Mongolian)
Alestorm (Pirate)

Now hold on a minute. You love Demons & Wizards, but don't have Iced Earth in that list? Jon Schaffer is both the guitar half of Demons and Wizards and the boss of Iced Earth. Their sound, especially the rhythm guitar work, is rather similar to D&W. Depending on the vocalist, their albums range from good (Night of the Stormrider) to unbelievably awesome (Burnt Offerings, The Dark Saga, Dystopia). Iced Earth's discography spans more than 30 years and twelve studio albums. Start with the classics I named in the brackets above and discover the rest yourself.

Have fun!
https://youtu.be/u_gw1OkNzvU

Now hold on a minute. You love Demons & Wizards, but don't have Iced Earth in that list? Jon Schaffer is both the guitar half of Demons and Wizards and the boss of Iced Earth. Their sound, especially the rhythm guitar work, is rather similar to D&W. Depending on the vocalist, their albums range from good (Night of the Stormrider) to unbelievably awesome (Burnt Offerings, The Dark Saga, Dystopia). Iced Earth's discography spans more than 30 years and twelve studio albums. Start with the classics I named in the brackets above and discover the rest yourself.

Have fun!
https://youtu.be/u_gw1OkNzvU

Believe me, I tried them, but I didn't like their style. I can't quite pin it down, but I think it was much the same reason why I passed on Sabaton.

Believe me, I tried them, but I didn't like their style. I can't quite pin it down, but I think it was much the same reason why I passed on Sabaton.

I loved Sabaton's cover of "the Beast" by twisted Sister 🌹

Classic metal album for today: Paradise Lost - Gothic

"What? You're not picking Lost Paradise? HERETIC!" Hear me out before stabbing me with pitchforks and torches. "Lost Paradise" is a fantastic death metal album full of morbid vibes and an inhuman growl second only to John Tardy's, few albums can claim to be the Patient Zero of a whole (sub)genre, in this case gothic metal. More or less symphonic songs, with a foundation in various shades of dark and deathy, crowned by a "beauty and the beast" vocal double whammy of sweet female voices and dastardly deathgrunts. Although Paradise Lost used that particular formula only twice on "Gothic" it's influence can still be heard today from the likes of Draconian, Sirenia, or Epica. Many genre stalwarts like Tristania, Theatre of Tragedy, The Sins of Thy Beloved, Within Temptation or Trail Of Tears have imploded or changed their style into something unrecognizable, without Paradise Lost, they might never had started.

Interestingly, after many more or less successful style revisions of their own, Paradise Lost and especially their guitarist Greg Mackintosh seemed to have rekindled their paasion for crusty riffs and old, foul-smelling death metal. Evidenced in both the last main PL album "The Plague Within" and Mr. Mackintosh's amazing Vallenfyre side project.

Gothic (song)
https://youtu.be/vQcAvJaJz_w

Beneath Broken Earth (2015 song)
https://youtu.be/55XlIPzY5q0

A Fragile King (Vallenfyre) - Kant, you might like this a ton. It's surprisingly "swedish" (lots of crust punk and early Dismember/Entombed vibes)
https://youtu.be/f4iOd2K1D4A

Last edited:
Classic metal album for today: Paradise Lost - Gothic

"What? You're not picking Lost Paradise? HERETIC!" Hear me out before stabbing me with pitchforks and torches. "Lost Paradise" is a fantastic death metal album full of morbid vibes and an inhuman growl second only to John Tardy's, few albums can claim to be the Patient Zero of a whole (sub)genre, in this case gothic metal. More or less symphonic songs, with a foundation in various shades of dark and deathy, crowned by a "beauty and the beast" vocal double whammy of sweet female voices and dastardly deathgrunts. Although Paradise Lost used that particular formula only twice on "Gothic" it's influence can still be heard today from the likes of Draconian, Sirenia, or Epica. Many genre stalwarts like Tristania, Theatre of Tragedy, The Sins of Thy Beloved, Within Temptation or Trail Of Tears have imploded or changed their style into something unrecognizable, without Paradise Lost, they might never had started.

Interestingly, after many more or less successful style revisions of their own, Paradise Lost and especially their guitarist Greg Mackintosh seemed to have rekindled their paasion for crusty riffs and old, foul-smelling death metal. Evidenced in both the last main PL album "The Plague Within" and Mr. Mackintosh's amazing Vallenfyre side project.

Gothic (song)
https://youtu.be/vQcAvJaJz_w

Beneath Broken Earth (2015 song)
https://youtu.be/55XlIPzY5q0

A Fragile King (Vallenfyre) - Kant, you might like this a ton. It's surprisingly "swedish" (lots of crust punk and early Dismember/Entombed vibes)
https://youtu.be/f4iOd2K1D4A

I love Paradise Lost. To me, they were/are better than My Dying Bride. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Nick Holmes appeared on Liv Kriste's "Deus ex Machina" album. Even her work in Theatre of Tragedy is noteworthy and really good. When I think of Gothic music in its purest form, Sundown' "Design 19" is hard to beat. Entwine from Finland comes really damn close.

Kudos for mentioning John Tardy's name. I love Chuck from Death. I'm not gonna disrespect him as a singer, but John Tardy will always be my #1 pick for Death Metal singer. He has a language all to his own that pioneered the style of grunts/growls/& bone chilling screams that, to me, were never matched by Chuck- evenon the Scream Bloody Gore album. If you really listen to it, it's heavily influenced by Thrash Metal unlike Obiruary's debute with Slowly We Rot. I love both bands, but Obituary is so much more - the drums, the vocal style, the erie guitar, the unbridled intensity. Guess that's why they are the band I've seen play live more than any other. Ok, now I'm in an Obituary mood.

My song picks tonight: Obituary - godly beings & Gates to Hell👠👠👠Kant🌹

What a fantastic thread to stumble across.

For me entering into heavy metal came the day my brother brought home megadeth "killing is my business.." back in 1985.

Before that I was languishing in a mix of Duran Duran, the go go's, the who, iguana bats all of these belonging to my brother or sister. I had no musical output of my own so I listened to what they had when I could.

Megadeth were an eye opener of a band, Dave's voice was totally out there and the guitars...woah! I actually discovered Metallica about 4 months after and had no idea of the connection until years later.

My pocket money had to stretch after that. First stop was the comic shop then next stop was a record store called "swordfish" on the way home. This won't go down well but I mostly brought tape over vinyl (longevity through difficulty of damage).

I don't listen to as many metal bands as I used to, growing up my musical tastes expanded and contracted periodically. I still make time to listen to a few though:
Iron maiden
Def leppard (not technically metal nowadays)
Pantera and off of that Down
S.O.D
Metallica
Rammstien
Mastadon
Led zepplin
Sabbath
Slipknot (when I feel like I need to be 16 again)

If I am writing then I always have music on but never loud always background noise and usually the radio. I write whatever comes to mind though usually go with fan fiction, sci-fi.

I game also though with 3 kids it can be bloody difficult. Xbox one with a ton of games untouched. Though if anyone wants a great free online game give Warframe a whirl it's a great single player and an even better online multiplayer.

Welcome, Driftwood!

Oh, I know Warframe, having sunk enough hours into it until I had acomplete Volt Prime. After I got there, I realized how insane the grind really is and shelved it. The fact thatcrafting shit often takes upwards of 72 hours (unless you spend hard cash) also was quite a downer. I loved the fighting system and the art style. Very cool. And the new area they recently teased might actually be a reason to jump back in for a weekend, although I mainly play on PS4. Microsoft have thoroughly soured me on their system, so I jumped ship for Sony.

I don't listen to metal exclusively either. Right now, I have mind.in.a.box throbbing in the background, a cool EDM/futurepop outfit from Austria.Nevertheless, I do identify as a metalhead first and foremost. Manowar and Iron Maiden were my gateway and Death Metal pushed me into the abyss with no desire to quit. But I do realize there's good music besides metal (and enough crap in metal too - I'm looking at you, faceless symphonic metal clones). Why limit myself? Cypress Hill and NWA can kick ass with the best of them. Some dubstep songs hit very hard and frankly, 80s pop like Michael Jackson, Human League, a-ha or Duran Duran are lightyears better than the Katy Perrys, Meghan Trainors or Jason Derulos of today. Usually, when asked which typesof music I hate, I tell people "German Volksmusik and Schlager", but I'm inclined to include 2000's pop in that list. There have been maybe two popsongs since 2000 which didn't make me want to throw my radio out the window. "Human" by Rag'n'Bone Man and Machinae Supremacy's cover of Britney Spears' "Gimme More".

https://youtu.be/5_mS_OZXMuI

Welcome, Driftwood!

Oh, I know Warframe, having sunk enough hours into it until I had acomplete Volt Prime. After I got there, I realized how insane the grind really is and shelved it. The fact thatcrafting shit often takes upwards of 72 hours (unless you spend hard cash) also was quite a downer. I loved the fighting system and the art style. Very cool. And the new area they recently teased might actually be a reason to jump back in for a weekend, although I mainly play on PS4. Microsoft have thoroughly soured me on their system, so I jumped ship for Sony.

I don't listen to metal exclusively either. Right now, I have mind.in.a.box throbbing in the background, a cool EDM/futurepop outfit from Austria.Nevertheless, I do identify as a metalhead first and foremost. Manowar and Iron Maiden were my gateway and Death Metal pushed me into the abyss with no desire to quit. But I do realize there's good music besides metal (and enough crap in metal too - I'm looking at you, faceless symphonic metal clones). Why limit myself? Cypress Hill and NWA can kick ass with the best of them. Some dubstep songs hit very hard and frankly, 80s pop like Michael Jackson, Human League, a-ha or Duran Duran are lightyears better than the Katy Perrys, Meghan Trainors or Jason Derulos of today. Usually, when asked which typesof music I hate, I tell people "German Volksmusik and Schlager", but I'm inclined to include 2000's pop in that list. There have been maybe two popsongs since 2000 which didn't make me want to throw my radio out the window. "Human" by Rag'n'Bone Man and Machinae Supremacy's cover of Britney Spears' "Gimme More".

https://youtu.be/5_mS_OZXMuI

Thanks for the warm welcome blind,

I am not much of a hard-core gamer now so if I find an item takes 72 hours to craft so be it. By the time I get to play again what with work and family life it will be crafted and ready to use (rhino suit upgrade in the works).
Even though Warframe is free I am still loathed to pump money into it, dislike pay to win games immensely and will avoid them if I can.

My music tastes are, well not eclectic but has a tendency to veer into guitar driven bands and artists. Foo fighters, counting crows, Cadillac three, Ryan adams too. With all that there is still room for rum the jewels, cypress hill, neck even Taylor swift (my kids are brainwashing me into liking her)

I admit I'm not an "exclusive" Metal head either. I listen to all kinds of stuff ranging from Waylon Jennings, Alice In Chains, The Bee Gees, The Doors, Kiss, Judas Priest, The Eagles, AC/DC, Kenny G, Beastie Boys, Newfound Road, Blondie, Cinderella, Slayer, Venom,KMFDM, Rammstein, Anathema, Entwine, Obituary, Samael,Bethlehem, Sundown, Pantera, and anything in between with a kick ass beat👠👠👠Kant🌹 My roots are 60's & 70's classic rock and roll, but Metal in general has a special place in my soul.

Okay then, pants down time. How old are you, Kant? Some time next week, I'll turn 42 (already?). 1992 doesn't feel that far off though.

I admit I'm not an "exclusive" Metal head either. I listen to all kinds of stuff ranging from Waylon Jennings, Alice In Chains, The Bee Gees, The Doors, Kiss, Judas Priest, The Eagles, AC/DC, Kenny G, Beastie Boys, Newfound Road, Blondie, Cinderella, Slayer, Venom,KMFDM, Rammstein, Anathema, Entwine, Obituary, Samael,Bethlehem, Sundown, Pantera, and anything in between with a kick ass beat👠👠👠Kant🌹 My roots are 60's & 70's classic rock and roll, but Metal in general has a special place in my soul.

I was 16 when I heard pearl jams ten album, Alice in chains and soundgarden followed swiftly after that. I think I felt more at home in the grunge scene than in a metal mosh pit.

Okay then, pants down time. How old are you, Kant? Some time next week, I'll turn 42 (already?). 1992 doesn't feel that far off though.

Hahaha.... now, you know how hard it is to get a girl to tell her age💋Let's just say most people don't believe me even after I show them my driver's license since I am 12-15 years older than I look.🌹
Let's just say- I graduated before "grunge" music left the underground, back when it was dubbed as "alternative" music.

Last edited:
I admit I'm not an "exclusive" Metal head either.

I always find it weird that some fans are like "I only listen to metal, everything else sucks" or sometimes even "I only listen to these three bands, everything else sucks".

Because the bands they listen to... I guarantee, the musicians in those bands listen to all kinds of different stuff. I mean, Judas Priest started out playing blues and named themselves after a Bob Dylan song!

Australian radio/TV has a music clips show called "Rage". They often get guest bands to choose a playlist for the night; I'm too old to stay up watching like I used to, but it's still interesting to see what these artists are listening to.

For example, here's a playlist chosen by Mastodon a couple of years back. Lots of metal but also Björk, Bowie, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Gary Numan...

Hahaha.... now, you know how hard it is to get a girl to tell her age💋Let's just say most people don't believe me even after I show them my driver's license since I am 12-15 years older than I look.🌹
Let's just say- I graduated before "grunge" music left the underground, back when it was dubbed as "alternative" music.

I knew this was gonna happen :) I thought my rogue-ish charms would be enough to drop yer pants. Obviously not.

And to be frank, I wasn't hugely into grunge. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam had their moments (Badmotorfinger, baby!), but Nirvana never was my jam. Why idolize Kurt Cobain when there were guys like Nick Holmes or Dan Swanö around? Besides, it killed off too many good bands (or made bandx change their style, hello Queensryche!). I know, Cobaon was a hero, martyr, icon to many, I found him to be a false messiah. :)

FIGHT!

Where does everyone find new metal music? I live in the US, and radio is a poor option. I never hear anything new anymore. It's just my playlist of old MP3s on random being heard over and over again.

Any tips?

I always find it weird that some fans are like "I only listen to metal, everything else sucks" or sometimes even "I only listen to these three bands, everything else sucks".

Because the bands they listen to... I guarantee, the musicians in those bands listen to all kinds of different stuff. I mean, Judas Priest started out playing blues and named themselves after a Bob Dylan song!

Australian radio/TV has a music clips show called "Rage". They often get guest bands to choose a playlist for the night; I'm too old to stay up watching like I used to, but it's still interesting to see what these artists are listening to.

For example, here's a playlist chosen by Mastodon a couple of years back. Lots of metal but also Björk, Bowie, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Gary Numan...

Besides, only listening to Extremely Disgusting Torturegrind makes it very hard to woo girls. In contrast to my mates, who were a) in their "hail metal, kill the posers" macho phase and b) desperate singles, I always got the girls because I could bust out Roxette and Simply Red when the need arose. :) And as a Dungeons and Dragons player since age 14, I enjoy my fantasy movie scores and ambient folk songs to play in between Bathory's hero epics. :)

Why limit yourself?

Where does everyone find new metal music? I live in the US, and radio is a poor option. I never hear anything new anymore. It's just my playlist of old MP3s on random being heard over and over again.

Any tips?

Word of mouth is my biggest source for new music. Just chatting with various people on a thread like this is enough to have me surfing YouTube hours on end.

One recent discovery music wise for me was a song called "Deth rides a Harley" by Lions of the Abyss. That discovery led to me checking out MollyHatchet's song "One last ride". 🌹

Last edited:

Any tips?

My wife and I recently bought a TechniSat internet radio receiver, basically a WiFi box which can get digital radio and internet radio streams. My go-to metal radio station, which got me a lot of cool random discoveries, is Aardshok Radio, named after the legendary Dutch metal mag and festival. They play anything, from hard rock straight through to the extreme stuff.

https://pinguinradio.com/player/aardschok-radio

The page doesn't want to play nice with my mobile browser (no track info), but it's a start.

I'm subscribed to a lot of record labels on YouTube, mainly Nuclear Blast, Century Media, Napalm, Roadrunner, Cyclone Empire and AFM. That covers a whole lot of the spectrum from the well-known to the obscure.

Every few months, I'll grab a copy of either Rock Hard or Metal Hammer magazine and scour their review sections for stuff I could like. Having Youtube open and checking out interesting bands is very bad for my wallet :)

And last, but by no means least, I'll have to echo Kantarii: Word of mouth helps a ton. This thread alone has been both very entertaining and informative. I consider myself pretty well informed, but I still find tons of new music just by exchanging ideas with like-minded people.

Last edited:
We haven't had one last night, so let me pick up the slack.

Classic metal album for last night: At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Another landmark album responsible for kickstarting a whole movement. I'm not that well-versed in the Gothenburg chronicles of who influenced who, but this album, with its merciless tempo, yet highly technical, precise and very melodic guitar work holds the blueprints to what bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork, Nightrage, Gates of Ishtar and even the mighty Carcass would play. And even twenty years later, the impact of "Slaughter..." can be felt in the works of many metalcore bands like As I Lay Dying or Unearth, marrying massive brutality with finely honed, Iron-Maiden-esque twin guitars.

https://youtu.be/614OdhFLUUU

Well, since I'm on it:

Classic metal album for tonight: King Diamond - Them/Conspiracy

Well, I cheated somewhat, as these are two separate albums, but "Conspiracy" picks up where "Them" left off, story-wise and you shouldn't listen to one without the other.

It's no secret that I love King Diamond. His unique vocal style certainly is an acquired taste, but there are few storytellers and showmen like him in all of Rock. He took the best bits of horror literature, Kiss and Alice Cooper, blended it with a baroque style of heavy metal and ended up with an utterly unique sound. For me, the double dose of "Them" and "Conspiracy" marks the zenith of his craft, a sprawling tale of a haunted house, crazy grandma, blood sacrifices and a brother's unhealthy attraction to his dead sister. Not that his later works are noticably worse, but here both the King and his backing band are firing on all cylinders. For all fans of the theatrical and the macabre, this is a must-hear.

Them (album)
https://youtu.be/2yUlNlxlBJ8

Conspiracy (album)
https://youtu.be/myNwysNheTE

Note to self: You've written more for this thread than for any of your stories, dude. Priorities?

Last edited:
Gonna throw my Metal picks in for the night:
Dio - Holy Diver
Dio - Last in line

RJD at his best, although my favorite song will always be "Heaven and Hell". It was always a treat surfing YouTube to find great live performances to the iconic song🌹RIP Ronnie

Back