Protection (closed)

Everything smells and looks perfect and it seems that the kids came with their healthy appetites still in tact. I notice you giving me a full plate and look to you, smiling at our little secret as I reach out and squeeze your hand tightly. I also notice the look of pride on your face at having a nice family dinner with your kids all around you.

Maria entertains Molly as we all eat, the little girl acting perfect for her step-brother and step-sister. Even Sam seems to be getting along with everyone rather nicely. It’s as good of an evening as we could have hoped for.

“So, Michaela, I’ve got a hairdresser coming on Friday before the wedding. Becky and I are going to help you get dressed. Alex is in charge of getting people seated and Sam is going to make sure everyone gets parked.” Maria is beaming at all the plans that she’s made.
 
Once dinner is finished, and all the wedding plans are discussed, which you ladies could have done without the three of us, I send you to the living room. "The guys and I will get the table cleared; then we have to move the file cabinet to the office, and then we can have dessert."

It takes us but a few minutes to clear the table and stack the dishes in the sink; and a few more minutes to move the file cabinet and desk chair to the office. Before we head back up for dessert, I close the office door and turn to Sam. Alex looks at me, a bit apprehensive.

"Sam, I just need to clear the air. I know that you and I do not have a very good history; however, since Maria has decided that you are someone she wants to include in her life, as far as I am concerned, the past shall remain there. But, since she is still my 'little girl', if you do anything to hurt her, you will be dealing with one very protective father. OK?"

As Alex takes a deep breath, Sam extends his hand to me, "Fair enough."

"OK, guys. let's get to that pecan pie before the ladies do." As we walk back into the living room, all eyes are on me and Sam, knowing that we were in the basement longer than it should have taken to move the file cabinet. Smiling, "Dessert, anyone?"
 
I give you a look as you come up from the basement, the tension in the air as you ask about dessert. Maria looks between you and Sam, her eyes questioning as Sam gives her a smile to smooth things over. I make sure that Molly delivers the first piece of pie to Alex since it was his request. She squeals as he pulls her into his lap, making sure that she has a plate of pie as well.

Handing you a mug of coffee and a piece of pie, I steal a kiss before you go to sit down. Once everyone is served, I finally take a piece for myself, sitting down to join in the conversation.

“Oh, Daddy, I meant to ask you something!” Maria says, looking over at you with a smile. “I was talking to Mom the other day and she said that she and Ray are moving back to town. She was wondering if they might be able to rent your townhouse for a while until they get a permanent house.”

I glance at you, unsure of what your relationship is like with your ex and her new husband, but from the way the kids talk, it seems to be pretty good.

“Yeah, she’s going to take over Grandpa’s grocery store. He finally decided to retire.” Alex interjects.
 
"Alex, I'll talk to you later about the townhouse; I'm sure we can work out something, but I would just prefer that you handle the details. I'll talk to a real estate friend of mine and check on the going rate and come up with an amount."

Looking around at everyone after the pie is served, "I know you are all wondering about the conversation in the basement. I told Sam that the past is in the past. However, Maria is still my little girl and if he gets out of line with her, he still has to deal with her protective father."
 
“Daddy!” Maria exclaims, her cheeks turning red as Becky and Alex start to laugh.

“Don’t be intimidated, Sam.” Becky says, looking at you with a wink. “He said the same thing to me. He was still on the police force then, so I really treated Alex like gold.”

The joke makes us all laugh, breaking the tension as the little family evening continues on without a hitch. It’s evident how much Sam cares about Maria and I’m thoroughly convinced that he really has changed from whatever happened in his past.
 
I look at you and shake my head, laughing at the look that you’re giving me. “Yes, you do, baby. I hope the kids never have to see you use them.”

Another round of laughter follows that comment as dessert is soon finished. Plans are made for the wedding in just a few days and everyone seems comfortable in their roles.
 
After a few more minutes of family fun and conversation, the party begins to break up . . . after all, the "younger ones" all have full-time jobs and need to get home. The older ones - you and me - have a 5-year old to calm down and get to bed . . . and after that we are on our own . . . and none of them need to know how we spend our evenings.

Once everyone leaves, you get Molly into the bath tub and I start loading the dishwasher.
 
I’m always amazed how dirty a little girl can get when playing with other little girls and outside. Molly seems to have dirt and grime everywhere and it takes me time to scrub her clean. Once that’s finished, I wrangle her into pajamas and get her settled into bed to listen to a bed time story.
 
Dishwasher loaded and running, kitchen cleaned up . . . settle back into the couch and turn on the TV (NCIS rerun, that I have seen before, still better than Dancing with the Stars), I can hear you reading to Molly. Been a long day . . . really good day with the kids and all . . . half-way asleep when you finally come down and settle in beside me.

"Guess everything turned our alright?"
 
“She’s asking questions about our “vacation”. I say as I prop my feet up in your lap, wiggling my toes as I ask you for foot rub. “She asked if she could go too and I told her that she had to stay with Maria, but we would take her on a vacation really soon.”

I let out a moan of pleasure as you work the tension out of my feet and ankles, your thumbs pressing on my arch until I’m putty in your hands.
 
"I have a feeling I'll get to know these feet and ankles really well over the next few months." As my thumbs find the knots in your feet, I can see your whole body relax on the couch. Once the news comes on, I stand up and reach for you.

"Busy day tomorrow, babe. Molly back to preschool, I work in the morning for 4 hours, and the phone company is coming out between 2 and 4 to do all the phone/internet/TV hookups in the basement. Think we can both use a good night's sleep."
 
“I think I’m going to try and see the doctor tomorrow. To make sure everything is alright.” I say as I take your hand and kiss your cheek as you pull me to my feet.

“Thank you for being good to Sam tonight. It really meant a lot to Maria.” I say as we go upstairs and start to dress for bed. “And Becky was talking about her and Alex maybe making things a little more serious. I think they want to get an apartment together.”

Glancing at you, I can see that you’re playing cool to the idea of your son living with his girlfriend, but I think it would be good for the two of them. “So, tell me about your ex. Do you guys get along?” I ask as I pull one of your oversized shirts over my head.
 
"Guess I can't really say too much about Alex and Becky since I moved in with you and Molly so soon after we started dating. It's pretty obvious they really care about each other, so if Alex asks, I'll give him my OK."

"Damn, tonight really brought up a lot of 'stuff', didn't it? As far as my ex and I, we have always done what we had to do to get along for the sake of the kids. As I told you, I was not around much when the kids were growing up; I regret that, but it happened . . . and she finally decided she couldn't live that way anymore. That's why I want Alex to handle any arrangements as far as them renting my condo in the city."

"I can pick up Molly after work, so you can schedule your doctor's appointment whenever is convenient." Crawling into bed, I watch my shirt slowly cover your naked body . . . damn, what did I do to deserve this?
 
“Well, I guess I’ll have to thank her.” I say as I finish dressing and slip beneath the sheets next to you with a smile. “Because if she hadn’t divorced you, I wouldn’t be sleeping next to you tonight.”

Leaning across the bed, I kiss you and sigh with contentment. “And I love you, Alan Davidson. You, and Alex, and Maria, and Molly, and our new little “nugget”.”
 
"Love you so much, Michaela . . . we've got a good family, don't we?" Returning your kiss and holding you close as we snuggle close together and start to drift off . . as usual, another busy day tomorrow.

Fortunately, no interruptions during the night until the alarm goes off at 6:30 in the morning. Getting the coffee started, I turn around to find a sleepy-eyed 5-year old standing in the kitchen door. "I want some cereal and I don't want to go to school today."

"Well, Molly, I have to go to work, so I'm going to take you to school and i will pick you up on my way home."
 
“Please, Papa?” Molly asks, her lower lip poking out and quivering as she watches you move around the kitchen, making her cereal. “I promise to be good today.”

Sighing as I wake up and look at the bedside clock. It use to be so much easier to wake up in the morning, but I guess that’s a small price to pay for the baby that’s growing inside of me. Pushing myself off the bed, I pull on my robe and go to Molly’s room, pulling a dress and some shoes out of her closet before I go downstairs to get her dressed.

“Hurry up, Molly. Alan can’t be late for work.” I say as I wrangle her out of her pajamas and into her school clothes. “Do you want me to pack you a lunch today?”

She shakes her head, still pouting as she eats her cereal. “It’s pizza day at school. Are you sure you want pizza?” She nods her head and I look over her to you, giving you a small smile and a shrug of my shoulders.
 
Damn, it's hard not to give in to a look like that, but I know that you want to try to get in and see the doctor today. "School today, Molly. I'm sure your friends will be excited to see you snce you haven't been for a few days. Mommy has some things she wants to do today, so we are all going to have a busy day. And after we gt home, the guys are going to come hook up the TV in the family room so you can start watching your cartoons on teh new TV down there."

Still not smiling, she does give in and let you help her get dressed. By the time we get to school she is listing all her friends she gets to see and everything she will have to tell them. Taking her in, I let the office know that I will be picking her up at 1:30.
 
I take the time to enjoy a quiet house and take a long, hot shower. Dressing comfortably, I send you a text message before I head to the doctor to let you know how long I’ll be gone. After I’m finished, I’ll drop by and see you at work. Then we can pick up Molly together and have a late lunch.

The trip to the doctor is a whirlwind and I’m giving the news that our test was correct. A little one will be seen in a little over eight months. I get prescriptions for the pharmacy and an ultrasound to make sure that everything is alright. With photos in tow, I make my way to your work and smile when I see you helping out some customers.

“Hey, baby.” I say, kissing your cheek when you’ve finished with them. “I’ve got something for you.” I press the ultrasound photos into your hand and give you a wide smile.
 
"Good looking kid you got there, young lady. Do you know who the father is?" Time for me to check out, so I lead you over to the lighting section and look for a ceiling light/fan combination for the family room. Surprisingly quickly, we find one we both like and get on our way to pick up Molly and take her out for lunch.

She is excited to see both of us and as soon as we are in the car, starts her constant chatter about who she ws this morning, what they did and what they talked about.

Once we get home, I start in on the light in the basement and await the arrival of the phone guy to come do this thing so that we will have internet/phone/TV in the basement. Once again, Molly is a bit out of sorts, but the basement right now is not the place for an inquisitive 'little person'.
 
“Mommy! I want to help Papa!” Molly insists, pouting and stamping around as I make her an afternoon snack.

“Molly, you can’t go down there right now. There’s lots of dangerous things around and we don’t want you getting hurt. If you’re hurt, you can’t be in the wedding.” The explanation seems to sate her for a moment and she soon retreats into the living room for cartoons.

When the phone guy shows up, I let him in and direct him down into the basement, closing the door to keep a curious little miss out of your hair.
 
Once the technician arrives, he gets right to work; I've had just enough experience that I left him enough room to and from each connection that his work is relatively easy, only takes him a couple of hours to get all the necessary connections completed and tested.

Still a little time before we eat, so I bring your computer down to the office and get us hooked up there. Molly is finally into the family room and decides that cartoons on the new TV are "cool".

Once she is totally absorbed, I can retreat to the upstairs and find you resting in the living room, TV off, enjoying the quiet. "Hi, Babe, how you feeling today? Can you believe everything that has transpired in the last few months?" Don't really wait for an answer as I lean over the couch from the back and kiss you.
 
“Just tired, baby. Everything just takes it out of me lately.” I say as I tip my head backwards and kiss you, smiling as you lean over the couch. “I would complain about the last few months, but there are no complaints to be had.”

Pulling you back down for another kiss, I sigh as our lips meet and we leisurely explore one another. Sighing as the kiss breaks, I look into your eyes and decide that I’m most definitely in love with you.

“Think I have time for a nap?” I ask, not even really knowing what time it is.
 
"You've got an hour or so; I'll let Molly help me with some scrambled eggs and bacon in a little while. She will enjoy being 'helpful' in the kitchen." Grabbing a blanket off the back of the couch, I wait for you to lie down on the couch and cover you. Another quick kiss, and a quick exploring hand under the blanket and I leave you to close your eyes for a bit.
 
Molly comes bounding up the stairs when you call her to come and help with dinner. She’s so excited as she helps you crack the eggs and pulls out slices of bread for toast. She thinks it’s funny that we’re eating breakfast for dinner.

“Papa…is Mommy okay?” She asks, looking towards the living room from time to time, concerned that I’m sleeping while the both of you are busy cooking.
 
Back
Top