The Last Thing You Thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna see the costume...and I wish I could've joined the festivities. New job is time consuming. *sigh*

*wraps him in a warm, tight, hug*

Have missed you round here...and will try to get a picture up later on...just for you ;)

Yes, a Blackhawk combination with 6 1/4" barrel. Sorry. I know that to gun enthusiasts, me calling it a 'cowboy pistol' is probably maddening.

Last edited:
Yes, a Blackhawk combination with 6 1/4" barrel. Sorry. I know that to gun enthusiasts, me calling it a 'cowboy pistol' is probably maddening.

Luckily, I'm not really an enthusiast. I think most people who buy retro anything (cars, guns, furniture, etc.) are wasting money. I'm looking at a possible Blackhawk purchase next summer. You talk highly of yours frequently.

Luckily, I'm not really an enthusiast. I think most people who buy retro anything (cars, guns, furniture, etc.) are wasting money. I'm looking at a possible Blackhawk purchase next summer. You talk highly of yours frequently.

I do like it, very much. I've never owned a Ruger that I didn't love, and that includes my Mark III Hunter model 22 pistol and a 10/22 rifle.

But I think you have to consider why you want the type of gun you want. I like revolvers, as I said. There just isn't anything more reliable, in my opinion. There is never a failure to feed, or stovepipe. It doesn't matter if they are dirty from firing them, they still work, every time. I like that.

But they do have their drawbacks. Number of rounds you have, and reloading time are two. Not to mention that with a single action, its a slower rate of fire. I rather like that too, as it means I have to take my time and make the shot matter. I always shoot revolvers single action anyhow, as I like how it makes my accuracy better. I like to shoot for the challenge of trying to best myself with accuracy over my previous attempts.

So having said that, I'd approach it just like you did with your car shopping. You are the kind of guy who likes what he likes for a certain reason. You know what you're reasons are. Unless spending the money is a problem, I don't think you'd be disappointed. And there is always more money. There are always more guns, for that matter. If you didn't like it, you probably wouldn't have any trouble selling it on Craig's List or somewhere. And then you could get something else, if you preferred.

The only thing I might have changed about my decision would have been to go with a stainless finish, just to make it easier to clean. I have zero regrets about getting the Blackhawk for my own birthday present. :)

I do like it, very much. I've never owned a Ruger that I didn't love, and that includes my Mark III Hunter model 22 pistol and a 10/22 rifle.

But I think you have to consider why you want the type of gun you want. I like revolvers, as I said. There just isn't anything more reliable, in my opinion. There is never a failure to feed, or stovepipe. It doesn't matter if they are dirty from firing them, they still work, every time. I like that.

But they do have their drawbacks. Number of rounds you have, and reloading time are two. Not to mention that with a single action, its a slower rate of fire. I rather like that too, as it means I have to take my time and make the shot matter. I always shoot revolvers single action anyhow, as I like how it makes my accuracy better. I like to shoot for the challenge of trying to best myself with accuracy over my previous attempts.

So having said that, I'd approach it just like you did with your car shopping. You are the kind of guy who likes what he likes for a certain reason. You know what you're reasons are. Unless spending the money is a problem, I don't think you'd be disappointed. And there is always more money. There are always more guns, for that matter. If you didn't like it, you probably wouldn't have any trouble selling it on Craig's List or somewhere. And then you could get something else, if you preferred.

The only thing I might have changed about my decision would have been to go with a stainless finish, just to make it easier to clean. I have zero regrets about getting the Blackhawk for my own birthday present. :)

Well, presently, I own a Glock 23C in .40. It's a very clean gun as far as automatics go and I shoot very well with it. To be honest, having grown up around pistols, I'm not certain that there is anything on the market as reliable and accurate as a Glock automatic.

I would like a Revolver for target shooting. I'm definitely going double-action, not single action, and Ruger is at the top of my list. I'd prefer to go no-larger than .357. We'll see. I'm still in the early phases of shopping.

Ruger makes a series of revolvers called Redhawk that are the more modern double action variety with a swing out cylinder. But half the fun is in the selection process. :)

Ruger makes a series of revolvers called Redhawk that are the more modern double action variety with a swing out cylinder. But half the fun is in the selection process. :)

Very highly reviewed revolvers and certainly up there. I'm also looking at a variety from Taurus and Smith and Wesson.

I've noticed, however, that revolver prices right now are (in my opinion) mostly unreasonable. This might delay my purchase or derail it entirely. Quite frankly, for the cost of a Smith and Wesson Revolver that interests me I could purchase almost 3 Glock Automatics.

Very highly reviewed revolvers and certainly up there. I'm also looking at a variety from Taurus and Smith and Wesson.

I've noticed, however, that revolver prices right now are (in my opinion) mostly unreasonable. This might delay my purchase or derail it entirely. Quite frankly, for the cost of a Smith and Wesson Revolver that interests me I could purchase almost 3 Glock Automatics.

I have to agree. My Blackhawk wasn't too bad at $502.00 but I got it from a guy who only marked it up $25 over his price. It was suggested retail at upwards of 600. If you really want a shock, have a look at a Colt Python or some high end Dan Wesson revolver. Just a bit steep for me.

-wraps herself up... and settles in for a long night-

Yea, I used to love this holiday.

I may not be a party kid who dresses up and parties, but I enjoy seeing what some of the others come up with. And hopefully you will.

I'm thinking you need a pick-me-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back