Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Flood Alert has been issued for my town for the high tides tonight and tomorrow.

The local fishermen are not impressed. The wind is in the wrong direction - offshore, and the 'normal' tide levels for those two tides aren't very high. They think, because of low air pressure and a surge down the North Sea, that the tides might be half a metre above what they should be, but that would be lower than a high Spring tide.

Unless the wind changes direction significantly, which it is forecast to do, and blows from the North consistently for at least 8-10 hours, according to them there is no danger. Even if it does, they expect nothing but spray across the coastal road.

Do I believe the local professionals or the Environment Agency?

If the Alert is raised to a Warning, I might be worried for some of my town.

But one thing I do know. My windows were professionally cleaned on Monday. They'll be covered in salt by tomorrow night. :rolleyes:

The company I work for was subpoenaed yesterday. We aren't the defendants or anything. There was an incident that lead to our work being needed, and now I guess everyone involved before and after is being called in to testify.

I suspect that the jet stream has a lot to answer for lately.
'Brighter Weather' cried the met office blokes.
So, my question is: "Why's it so bloody wet then ?"

These minutes a storm called "Bodil" is hitting Copenhagen.

The airport is closed, no trains, a lot of people are stranded on their way home from work.

I hope I don't loose power tonight - but if I do I'm prepared.

The airport is closed, no trains, a lot of people are stranded on their way home from work.

Scotland and the East Coast of the UK have taken a real pounding, according to the news. Bridges closed, aircraft grounded and even rail network in chaos.
But if it comes to loosing power, I have three paraffin (storm) lamps and a box of candles.
All I need now it to remember where I put the matches. . .
:rose:

High tide with storm surge expected here in two hours' time.

But local knowledge suggests that there will be nothing spectacular with only salt spray, not flooding.

Scotland and the East Coast of the UK have taken a real pounding, according to the news. Bridges closed, aircraft grounded and even rail network in chaos.
But if it comes to loosing power, I have three paraffin (storm) lamps and a box of candles.

But local knowledge suggests that there will be nothing spectacular with only salt spray, not flooding.

To all my UK/European friends, please do keep safe. Keeping you in good thoughts.

To all my UK/European friends, please do keep safe. Keeping you in good thoughts.

Thank you for your thoughts, John. :)

The worst part of the storm is over in Copenhagen, although some cities in Denmark are
still effected by it.

I didn't loose power/energy, but the streetlights are out. I can still hear the wind howling from
time to time outside, but nothing compared to just an hour ago.

HP: I have an extra box of matches if you need any. :D:kiss:

Ogg: I hope you and your family get through this safe and sound. :rose::rose:

(And now I think it's time for a drink - Cheers!) :cool:

Thousands Moved as Flooding Hits English Coastal Areas

By Rodney Jefferson and Nicholas Brautlecht
December 5, 2013
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-05/high-winds-batter-scotland-as-hamburg-braces-for-storm.html

Thousands of people were moved from English coastal areas last night, and the River Thames flood barrier protecting London was closed after warnings of the worst tidal surge in 60 years.

The Environment Agency said people were at risk of being swept into the sea and were removed from high-risk areas in places such as Great Yarmouth on the east coast. Late last night, 64 severe flood warnings had been issued for England and Wales, the agency said on its website. Forty-four of the alerts, which mean there could be danger to life, were in the Anglian region, the most easterly in England.

“In some areas, sea levels could be higher than those during the devastating floods of 1953,” the agency said on its website. “However, flood defenses built since then mean that many parts of the country are much better protected.”

The storm hit Scotland earlier yesterday, killing a truck driver and paralyzing the rail network before heading south and across the North Sea to the Netherlands, Denmark and Germany.

The low pressure system, dubbed Xaver, reached hurricane force with wind speeds of more than 140 kilometers (87 miles) an hour, according to the German Weather Service. Xaver traversed southern parts of the North Sea before reaching land on the northern German and Danish coast yesterday afternoon.

Vessel traffic in the port of Hamburg came to a standstill, Martin Boness, the port authority’s spokesman said. The city closed some of its flood gates ahead of high tide to protect citizens from a repeat of the devastation in 1962, when the North Sea Flood claimed more than 300 lives.

Two Die
In Scotland, winds reached 142 miles an hour on mountain peaks and heavy rain battered morning commuters. A truck driver died after his vehicle was blown on top of two cars west of Edinburgh, the BBC reported, citing Police Scotland.

Fallen trees blocked roads and rail lines, and authorities urged all high-sided vehicles to avoid traveling or to pull over until the storm subsided. In Nottinghamshire in central England, a man died after being hit by a tree, the BBC said.

More than 100,000 properties throughout the U.K. were hit by power cuts, the Press Association reported.

The airport in Hamburg canceled more than 120 takeoffs and landings. Edinburgh and Glasgow airports were still experiencing cancellations and delays yesterday after the storm had passed to other parts of the country.

Deutsche Bahn AG canceled most cross-border train connections scheduled to run through northern Germany last night and early this morning, it said on its website. Cancellations included services to Copenhagen, Amsterdam and Prague via Hamburg and Hanover.

Extreme flooding prompted the closing of locks at both ends of the Kiel Canal, the world’s busiest artificial waterway, the Brunsbuettel-based branch of federal waterways and shipping administration WSV said on its website. The canal links the North Sea to Baltic through the state of Schleswig-Holstein.

The Environment Agency in a three-day forecast reported a “high likelihood of severe coastal flooding” along northeast and east coastal regions from last night into today, when severe flooding was seen as likely to occur in the southeast county of Kent. No flooding danger was forecast for tomorrow.

The only disturbance for the Og household last night was our elderly cat falling off a pile of books...

The only disturbance for the Og household last night was our elderly cat falling off a pile of books...

It was a small pile. She just turned over in her sleep.

The worst case flooding scenario for Kent last night was 3,000 homes flooded. The actual number was 40.

But if the afternoon's strong Northerly wind had continued during the night and had been accompanied by heavy rain - that would have been the worst case.

It was only tidal flooding, not tidal flooding worsened by an on-shore gale and heavy run-off on land. Heavy rain and a higher than normal tide is dangerous because the tide blocks the outlets for inland surface water.

Just learned my Godmother was moved to end of life care. :(

Sorry, John. My condolences.

We just found out today that my husband's nephew's wife lost their baby today. This would have been their second child (they have an 18mo girl), and she was actually due on 12/10. I feel so bad for them.

Just learned my Godmother was moved to end of life care. :(

Sorry, John. My condolences.

We just found out today that my husband's nephew's wife lost their baby today. This would have been their second child (they have an 18mo girl), and she was actually due on 12/10. I feel so bad for them.

It's been a heck of a week. I lost an uncle and a surrogate grandmother. The world lost Nelson Mandela. I had a good cry last night and today was much better than the last two days.

Anonymous strikes again...

This morning I found a new set of PCs on my chapters of Wedding Bondage. They were all similar. Anonymous didn't like them. So why read more than one chapter and comment?

Presumably a different anonymous on Caroline's Lamia:

Well that was just weird. I guess I should have expected it. You truly have one of the strangest "bios" on this site.

I take that as a compliment. :D

I found a couple of really nice Christmas cards today.
Not the usual Victorian Crymble crap,
but a well executed drawing of the Winterman; and one of a Dragon.
If I knew how to reduce the image size, I'd upload the things.
:)

Was just told that my godmother passed away this evening. Still on the bus home, but I'm going to make a cup of tea as soon as I walk in the door. :(

Sympathy, John.

Clear Blue skies in this morning's dawn.
It's a bit cool, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back