Will I turn into my mother?

I took my mother on a trip to Canada a few years ago right before our Thanksgiving to go to the falls and up to Toronto. At the falls there was a cute drive through holiday lights display full of moose and bears, totally delightful.

After driving through, my mother said that they must, "do it for the tourists". When I asked her what she was talking about, she said, "Oh you know, since they don't celebrate Christmas here."

My mouth hung open in shock before blurting out, "You don't think that there are Christians in Canada!?!"

I should have been howling in laughter, I did later when sharing the story, but in the moment I was really concerned. She did laugh about it when I carefully explained Christmas was celebrated all over the world, not just in the states.

So the reason I am sharing this story is because it was THE moment that my mother turned into my grandmother, grandma said all kinds of batty things over the years, but that was the first time I had ever heard my mother say something that made me look at her and see grandma. I did not directly point it out to my mom it was something grandma would have said, I think she knew it and was quietly trying to deal.

Anyone else afraid of the day it happens to us?

I took my mother on a trip to Canada a few years ago right before our Thanksgiving to go to the falls and up to Toronto. At the falls there was a cute drive through holiday lights display full of moose and bears, totally delightful.

After driving through, my mother said that they must, "do it for the tourists". When I asked her what she was talking about, she said, "Oh you know, since they don't celebrate Christmas here."

My mouth hung open in shock before blurting out, "You don't think that there are Christians in Canada!?!"

I should have been howling in laughter, I did later when sharing the story, but in the moment I was really concerned. She did laugh about it when I carefully explained Christmas was celebrated all over the world, not just in the states.

So the reason I am sharing this story is because it was THE moment that my mother turned into my grandmother, grandma said all kinds of batty things over the years, but that was the first time I had ever heard my mother say something that made me look at her and see grandma. I did not directly point it out to my mom it was something grandma would have said, I think she knew it and was quietly trying to deal.

Anyone else afraid of the day it happens to us?

Of course!
I feel it happening sometimes. I quietly try to deal. :)

I definitely say things and then think "that could have been my mother saying that".

More worrying when I hear my father's words coming out of my mouth though... :confused:

My Mom believes anything an everything's that's "reported" on Fox News, regardless of whether it's a news show or a editorial show. I'm pretty sure Fox News has informed all listeners that the Muslims are taking over Europe and all of North America ... so why would they possibly celebrate Christmas. :cool:

:D

Just a different day and different time that when she grew up listening to good old Walter C. ;)

I've told my wife she can shoot me when I start sounding and acting like my dad. She gave me the same option towards her.

Of course!
I feel it happening sometimes. I quietly try to deal. :)

I catch myself saying things to my kids I heard her say a million times, but I don't have the feeling that I am becoming her....yet. We are very different people, I still hold hope that I can fight it off for a very long time. :)

I purposely say batty things to amuse people so I have a completely different concern that as I get older my kids may just think I am being funny, not that I am actually confused about the world and need help for things to be explained to me.

My Mom believes anything an everything's that's "reported" on Fox News, regardless of whether it's a news show or a editorial show. I'm pretty sure Fox News has informed all listeners that the Muslims are taking over Europe and all of North America ... so why would they possibly celebrate Christmas. :cool:

Just a different day and different time that when she grew up listening to good old Walter C. ;)

I do try to challenge my mom when she spouts things she hears on the news, she is a Fox News watcher too, Trump supporter. :/

A Trump supporter too?!? :eek: Now I really do feel sorry for you. :cool:

When she tells me how great he will be for America it makes me want to be able to yell, "You're a stupidhead!" and run to my room. (Something my 4 year old did the other day when he found out I was going to a hockey game with his older brother and he could not come.)

Back