BrettJ & NRSE's Beautiful Bistro & Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning folks
Hi BrettJ SCCouple and Coacheric and NRSe. My quiet cup of coffee time.If any of the players are over 40. Preferably 45-65 then maybe both. But I have to say the coaches. Guys my age or near it get my attention. SCCouple may I ask if you guys are near Charleston? We are staying on Folly. Don't plan on letting the little ones go in too deep due to the recent numerous shark bites. But I like to swim out a bit. Been stung by a jelly and do not want to repeat that ever. I think we are going to do the water taxi and a bunch of fun stuff. But a beach day oh yeah !

Wishing all a good long weekend. Mine will be as dull as dishwater, sad to say. I'm heading out in a little bit. Woke up earlier with another nasty leg cramp.

BrettJ in Canada

T4T, we are about 2.5 hours from Charleston, but go down once or twice per year. Last year six of us went to Folly Beach, and the Ms was the only one not to get stung by a jelly fish. Plenty of shark teeth to be found at Folly, hope you guys have a good time.

My weekend began an hour ago. Now I can work on trying to retrieve some files that have mysteriously disappeared from my laptop.

While I will try not to bring it into our Bistro, I expect to be in a fairly foul mood for the next several days. I detest long weekends with a passion - gee, just what I need, another day with nothing to do. Bleahh ...

BrettJ in Canada

It's one more day I don't have to deal with over-educated, believe their shit doesn't stink, spoiled, misogynistic programmers.

Congrats on the hits Brettj.

The apple pie fries sound like a winner to me.

Has anyone ever used an apple pie like they did in American Pie? That thought never occurred to me.

I forgot to add Life Savers to my earlier list, they were a fun surprise.

T4T have fun in Charleston. Be carefully of the jellyfish, especially at Folly.

Nice game tonight to start the weekend. Go Cocks.

Never used a pie like that.

We have brought whipped cream to bed. Ice cubes, pop rocks once, chocolate. Heard about the mints before but have never tried it.

Food in and of itself was not as much fun as we thought it would be. Messy and sticky. Yea, the whole point but took away from the afterglow a bit. Still like the ice cubes tho.

Because RJ, you work outside of the home and "days off" as a concept applies to you. It does NOT for me.

Long weekends are days when places are closed, some of the staff I like on regular days in my cafes are off and I don't know / care for the others (or I'm just a face to them and not a regular) and I'm not noticing much difference in days. Fridays, Saturdays - all the same to me. Sundays are worse because the transit is sh*t on Sundays.

I'll get through it, I'm also a bit p*ssy because I can't afford to do my end-of-summer trip.

BrettJ

Author / Cranky / Sensualist

When I was the stay-at-home parent, the only long weekend that bothered me were the ones in February, the week long out of school. Damn kid expected me to entertain him LOL

Kids in parts of the US are already back. Not so, here in Canada. Tuesday is the return of kids to school, including university. They're already starting to arrive. I dread the downtown on Tuesday, little annoying sons of b*tches (I don't like a lot of today's teens)

BrettJ

Writer / Grumpy Old Man / Sensualist

Kids in parts of the US are already back. Not so, here in Canada. Tuesday is the return of kids to school, including university. They're already starting to arrive. I dread the downtown on Tuesday, little annoying sons of b*tches (I don't like a lot of today's teens)

BrettJ

Writer / Grumpy Old Man / Sensualist

Progeny returns to college classes Wednesday. The other kiddies as well.

College started last week here. The kids have are 2 weeks into it. Regular school starts next Tuesday for them. Sports started 2 weeks ago also for the actual season play, not just practice. Practice started before school even ended for summer

A lot of the time, I think other countries are ahead of us. Not so, this time.

Starting school a week or so before another holiday is asinine. Either start after - like we do -

OR

start a month or so early, like the beginning / 2nd week of August. Really, the kids today have too many holidays (as did we, but I worked) and they're unnecessary. Get them back and learning and by Labor Day, a holiday would work for family and kids. Plus, studies have shown the kids are more alert in the nicer weather, so they might learn better.

IF

people protest they need some time off / summer months - go back to letting school out in early June (it did so when I was in high school) and go back as I suggested above.

BTW, my mom worked for the school board for over 26 years, so this isn't just some doofus with a gripe. I know of whence I speak.

BrettJ

Writer / Educated but just a bit / Sensualist

A lot of the time, I think other countries are ahead of us. Not so, this time.

Starting school a week or so before another holiday is asinine. Either start after - like we do -

OR

start a month or so early, like the beginning / 2nd week of August. Really, the kids today have too many holidays (as did we, but I worked) and they're unnecessary. Get them back and learning and by Labor Day, a holiday would work for family and kids. Plus, studies have shown the kids are more alert in the nicer weather, so they might learn better.

IF

people protest they need some time off / summer months - go back to letting school out in early June (it did so when I was in high school) and go back as I suggested above.

BTW, my mom worked for the school board for over 26 years, so this isn't just some doofus with a gripe. I know of whence I speak.

BrettJ

Writer / Educated but just a bit / Sensualist

Here in NY, the school schedule is a modified harvest one. Instead of having the kids off in October and November, they are off in February, which was changed in the 70s during the Oil Crisis, so schools could save money on heating oil.

I'd wonder if that actually works RJ - especially with the past few years, where the months of October and November have been chilly.

I read a whole article just a few months ago that debunked the myth that the summer months off were a result of "farmers" wanting their kids home in those months. It's also not true for Daylight Savings Time (enough with that already!) How many kids today "farm"? How many would even work on a family farm for little / no pay? I think one thing they could do is modify the summer schedule. I have a friend who teaches in Japan. Although I think that country OVERDOES schooling, they're closer than the US or Canada to the right track.

We also need to weigh the fact that in most homes now, both parents work. The "stay at home" mom is almost done and over with.

BrettJ

Author / Discussions in the Bistro - good / Sensualist

Classes started back here 3 weeks ago. They get the regular holidays off. First week of April off for spring break. Almost 2 weeks at Christmas and sçhool out in very early June. For myself I see the school as an extension of what is taught at home. Education as well as manners begins at home. I have had more than one teacher tell me that children reared by grandparents are usually well mannered because its how we where taught growing up. I would homeschool but my Grandson loves and needs the social interaction of friends his age. We try and plan our vacations around his schedule.

I'd wonder if that actually works RJ - especially with the past few years, where the months of October and November have been chilly.

I read a whole article just a few months ago that debunked the myth that the summer months off were a result of "farmers" wanting their kids home in those months. It's also not true for Daylight Savings Time (enough with that already!) How many kids today "farm"? How many would even work on a family farm for little / no pay? I think one thing they could do is modify the summer schedule. I have a friend who teaches in Japan. Although I think that country OVERDOES schooling, they're closer than the US or Canada to the right track.

We also need to weigh the fact that in most homes now, both parents work. The "stay at home" mom is almost done and over with.

BrettJ

Author / Discussions in the Bistro - good / Sensualist

We were lucky: She had a well-paying and benefited job, and I had the patience and stomach to handle a child.

Classes started back here 3 weeks ago. They get the regular holidays off. First week of April off for spring break. Almost 2 weeks at Christmas and sçhool out in very early June. For myself I see the school as an extension of what is taught at home. Education as well as manners begins at home. I have had more than one teacher tell me that children reared by grandparents are usually well mannered because its how we where taught growing up. I would homeschool but my Grandson loves and needs the social interaction of friends his age. We try and plan our vacations around his schedule.

My son had 3 of the 4 grandparents be very involved in his life. My mother taught him some Polish. My in-laws taught him how to "life and work" in the country - chores on the weekend and days he was out there.

Agree with you in some ways T4T but I have seen some major examples of idiot grandparents - one today on the bus, with equally IDIOT daughter and bratty kid. The mom needed to teach this kid NOT to be a brat, instead, she just allowed it while Gran sat there scratching lottery tickets. I was almost cringing, so grateful when the white trash got off.

I believe manners are the responsibility of both family AND society. Had an incident yesterday in my "group" that needed to be dealt with - and was, by me.

I believe kids need social interaction and that home schooling is a fine line. I also STRONGLY believe kids and parents need time away from each other - A LOT of time. School is one thing that provides that.

BrettJ

Author / Opinionated / Sensualist

Home feels nice after a long day ! I work all weekend so no Labor Day partying for me. Two shifts next week then I'm Florida bound. Birthday party Monday and that I'm really looking forward to ! Hope you all have a safe and fun holiday weekend.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. My birthday is still a while off, a bit over two months.

BrettJ

Author / Scorpio / Sensualist

It is well past midnight here, so the Labor Day weekend has started in Ontario. I have zero plans. Writing and trying to stay cool, I suppose. If I can return to a good pace, I may complete enough to send in a "packet" to my publisher. I also have a few things to discuss with them.

Anyone out and about?

BrettJ

Author / Still Alert / Sensualist

My, the new place had been busy. Hello to all you Bistro goers.

College football had begun. I'll be spending the day on the LSU campus for the first game of the season.

Hope y'all's weekend goes well.

Not too busy today, but I'm assuming folks have begun with their long weekend plans. Hope you all enjoy.

BrettJ

Author / Staying Home / Sensualist

Doing some home repairs and baking.

Cajun, that game should be a piece of cake, the way a first game should be.

Brettj, hope you get plenty of writing done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back