Beyond Time (closed)

"What else can I tell you, Miss Dylan? This is the twelfth century you're here because the piano was carved from a particular tree as a gift to me after I was knighted and its magicks brought you."

He sighed, "What else?"
 
Dylan stared at Ashien for a long moment before she simply turned and left the room. She hurried down the long stairs and corridors until she was standing at the great wooden front door. She was going to see if what he said was correct. She pushed open the door and stepped out into the night, her eyes trailing on the darkness beyond. What had been city before was now darkened buildings with the occasional call of a horse or cow.

“Oh.” She murmured as her dark eyes looked out over the darkness, looking for anything familiar.
 
The only familiar things were the manor itself and its huge expanse of land, but now, it was enclosed by fencing, and the buildings of the city were entirely different in architecture. Many of them somewhat Tudorian style. Ashien came to stand beside Dylan quietly. "... Lord Jennings once brought me something he called a 'photograph' of this view in his time... I couldn't believe it would change so much while Darkwood remained the same."
 
Never in a million years did she expect to see the world beyond the front door to look so completely different. It was surprising, shocking Dylan to the very core. She expected to see the world just the same but it was then that she knew that everything that Ashien had been saying was very true. Had she really been in a relationship with Ashien at some point in the past? Was she the mysterious Dylandra of Darkwood Manor? What about John?
 
"Miss Dylan..." Van said quietly as he stepped out, and then she felt the nudge of the great tiger Ballas against her hand. He seemed naturally drawn to women. "Miss, if you'd like to go, I can send you back now. But it will only work for a short time, else you'll be trapped here til the next full moon."

"You're welcome to visit if you decide," Ashien told her kindly.
 
Dylan glanced down at Ballas as he nudged her hand, rubbing his great body against hers as Van told her that it was time to go back. If she waited it wouldn’t be until the next full moon that she would be able to return. She didn’t know what to do. It wasn’t like she could just leave John.

“If I stayed, John would miss me.” She said softly, looking up towards Van as he asked her what she wanted to do.
 
"There's nothing keeping you here, Miss Dylan," Ashien told her. He wasn't certain of why she seemed to be hesitating. "If you like, you can simply forget what you saw, there's no obligation." He seemed to want to see her again, though...
 
“How can I forget all of this?” Dylan asked Ashien softly, turning her dark gaze towards his. “It isn’t like this is something that happens every day.”

Her fingers fiddled with the engagement ring on her hand and she wondered if she could keep John in the dark of what had happened. He was still asleep in their bedroom, waiting to see if she would return before the morning broke.
 
"No, I suppose it doesn't. But you need to get back to your own time before it's too late. Time passes here just as it does there, so you'll be missing for a month.
 
“I suppose you’re right.” She said softly, looking at Van as Ashien insisted that she needed to go back. “Van, can you take me home?”

She wasn’t really sure how the piano had worked and after the initial shock had worn off, she was left with a nagging interest into the magical piece of furniture.

“But…well, perhaps it wouldn’t be too forward to ask to come back in a month?” She had asked him softly, hoping that he didn’t say no.
 
"Not at all, Miss Dylan," Ashien smiled gently, honestly glad. "My home in this time is always open to you. Perhaps, even, sometime you'd allow me to paint you."

With a final farewell, Van guided Dylan to the piano and he took her hand in his own, setting it against the piano as the odd thing began to play the notes of Moonlight Sonata. And slowly but surely, the room lit with the return of electric lights, but it was so slow that it wasn't sure when they'd actually reappeared.
 
Dylan was still in a daze when she realized that they had returned to her own time. She glanced around at the dimly burning electric lights and she let out a long sigh. Glancing towards Van, she was quick to pull her hand free and she hurried to find John. She breathed a long sigh of relief as she pushed open the door to their room and heard the soft sounds of his deep breathing.

None of this made sense, but she was sure that she had just been in the past. She had just met Ashien Ghis. Her head was still spinning as she crawled into bed beside John, sighing as his strong arm wrapped about her waist and she snuggled up against his warm chest. It was going to be a long and sleepless night, she thought to herself.
 
The next morning, she woke to hearing John's angry voice in the hallway, talking on the phone. She caught the name of his boss, and it soon became quite clear that he was being fired. His new boss hated him and had jumped on the excuse of him living further away to 'let him go'.

John finally returned to her after a long silence and he curled up beside her in angry, miserable silence.
 
Dylan rolled over on the bed, staring at John’s spot for a long moment as she listened to his angry voice just outside the door. She let out a long sigh, knowing that he was arguing with the boss that he hated with a passion. It was unfortunate, but it was good that he was finally free of the job that had given him so much grief in the past.

She looked towards the door when he entered the room again, angry and silent as he curled up beside her beneath the covers. She turned and curled up next to him, pressing her lips against his cheek.

“I’m sorry, John.” She said softly, her hand resting on his chest in a comforting gesture. “Look at the Brightside. You don’t ever have to deal with him again.”
 
"Fucking asshole..." he muttered. If John didn't get a good job soon, he knew they'd have to postpone their wedding because they'd be unable to pay for it. "And I was up for a transfer to a better place nearby... maybe they'll still take me..." he sighed as his temper simmered.

"We might have to be pretty frugal for a while, baby."
 
Dylan was quiet for a long moment as John declared that they would have to push back their wedding even further now. She let out a sigh and looked over at her lover, her hand taking his and squeezing it tightly.

“I’ll take some commissions to get money flowing. Perhaps I’ll sell some of the art that I’ve already done.” She said softly, offering him options for what they could do to get things back onto a level field again.
 
"I don't want you to have to sell your stuff yet, love. What about that gallery show in November?" John asked softly. "You need it all then. Don't worry, I'll figure something out." He kissed her cheek and hugged her closer. As much as he didn't understand art, he did understand things that were important to her future as an artist.
 
Dylan held John tightly as he talked about the gallery show in November. He might not have understand what she was doing for a living, but he had always been incredibly supportive of her. She leaned in and kissed him gently, letting the kiss turn passionate in the matter of a few moments. When it broke, she smiled at her love and gently ran her fingers through his hair.

“I think I know something that might cheer you up.” She said softly, pulling herself from his arms and standing beside the bed, slowly stripping from her clothing until she stood nude before him. “Catch me if you can, John.”

With that, she turn and hurried from the room, her laughter filling the room as she left.
 
John was quick to bolt after her, leaping from the bed and on her heels like a great big cat chasing its prey out in the wild, but he played her little game for a bit, getting very close to catching her to the point she felt his breath on her neck a couple times, but he didn't capture her until they finally entered a small private library room.

John's hands caught her waist and he spun them round, making her trip over herself and fall to land on top of him before he rolled and trapped her beneath him, kissing her with ferocity and wild abandon. She'd ignited the flame and now it would consume her.
 
Dylan laughed wildly as John caught her waist and spun her around. It wasn’t too much longer before she found herself trapped beneath her fiancée, his lips pressing intimately to hers as he kissed with such heat and passion. She whimpered as she felt a fire burning in her belly, his body pressing her down against the soft rug before the crackling fire that someone had built in the room.

Her eyes fluttered close and she felt herself drifting. John was an amazing lover, one that was incredibly generous. She knew him so incredibly intimately that when she felt his hands trailing up her something just felt wrong. She opened her eyes and found herself looking into the face of the man that she had met last night. She gasped, her eyes widening slightly as that darkly handsome face came into view.

“John?” She whispered softly, so incredibly confused.
 
Before she knew it, she was looking up at John again and he fixed her with a concerned gaze. "What's wrong, baby?" He placed his hands gently on her cheeks. "What's going on?" He remembered this happening last time and he wouldn't take anything but the truth now. He noticed how it seemed like... she was registering a different person than himself. Or maybe she saw something chilling. He wasn't sure.
 
“I just…I thought I saw something.” She said softly, sighing as his hands rested on her cheeks. “I’m alright.”

She lifted her head from the rug and pressed her lips once more against his, wanting him to continue the passion filled loving that he had started.
 
"No, Dylan, what's going on?" John said after their kiss broke. "What'd you see? This happened last time too and I'm not taking 'something' for an answer." He sat up with her, cradling her close.
 
“I saw the man from a painting upstairs.” She said after a long moment, knowing that John was going to think that she was crazy. “It’s just a new house, baby. Not a big deal.”

Dylan nuzzled against John’s neck, sighing softly as his arms held her close. She kissed and nibbled at his throat, hoping to get him away from the topic at hand.
 
"But I'm worried about you," he whispered as she began to distract him. "You've been a little off since we got here..." But she won him over as his lips descended to her shoulder and he laid her back down on the cool wooden floor. He always loved and hated how she could distract him like this.
 
Back
Top