Blast from a forgotten past

Holliday, I’m not sure what you object to. Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough that I was talking about the past and not current New Orleans. I was very pleased with the city when I visited it and I saw nothing that didn’t deserve to be preserved. Also I agree very much that we are all products of our past, which is why I believe that society changes slowly. However, to me there is no doubt that the history of the American South and of Russia, as well as many other places has been tragic. Further I feel there are much in the history of many places, maybe most places outside of the American South and Russia where people tried to preserve a past that didn’t deserve to be preserved. In fact I believe that most of the tragic events of the past few centuries were due to people trying to preserve a past that didn’t deserve to be preserved. I did not single out New Orleans.

Moonlight and Roses,

I understood your views the first time.
 
Holliday, what do you object to?
Moonlight and Roses,

MR. Please forgive my delay in responding to your question. In order to answer you, it would drag into the conversation points of debate on political issues, which is inappropriate for this board and this thread.

Without breaching that, you say there are cultures that should never be or have been preserved. I disagree with that, and base my stand on WHO should decide which cultures are worthy of preserving?

It is my feeling that ALL cultures should be preserved in their truest form. Otherwise, we would all speak alike, dress alike, look alike, think alike, and so on. That, in my opinion, is a dangerous concept.

I disagree with you. It's nothing personal. Simply a difference of opinion. No harm, no foul.

Having said that, I'm glad that your expectations of NO were exceeded during your visit. I find it odd that you would visit a place that you didn't think you would enjoy to begin with. I don't think I would enjoy visiting Antarctica, therefore I have never made plans to go there. Just sayin'. :rose:
 
Thank you for replying Holliday and I didn’t think there was any delay at all. I feel your reply is very thought out and I now understand you so much better. In writing about Romanism in regard to the American South and Russia I wrote about “the attempt to preserve a past that didn’t deserve to be preserve.” I certainly didn’t mean that nothing at all in those cultures deserved to be preserved. In my opinion all cultures, societies and nations have certain positives and negatives. There is no perfection. And I feel that way about the American South. The people of the south contributed much of good to the world. I also would not like everyone to speak, dress, look and think alike. So I am very much in favor of diversity. Further, I don’t feel that it is a “difference of opinion” between us only a misunderstanding.

Holliday, I like you and I appreciated your comments to the topic “The Male Form.” You show intelligence and caring in your posts and I miss hearing from you. I certainly don’t expect anyone to comment all of the time, but once in a while to offer your opinion would be nice. This also goes for others.

As to why I visited New Orleans I guess the simplest way to answer that is that I wanted to give it a chance and I am glad I did. Much of what I enjoyed about my visit there is what I saw of the past that had been preserved and deserves to be preserved. Thank you for the rose.

Tom, Moonlight and Roses,
 
They tell me the climate has changed drastically. There was an influx of West Coast infiltrators since 2005, buying up property. A lot of the old people left, or died. Crime is no longer contained, but has spread, making much of the area, even some outlying ones, more inner city than old charm. Traditions, the language, and simple things like cuisine have changed. You can hardly hear anyone still speaking anything that resembles french anymore. The younger generations have no time or desire to keep the old ways alive. Such a pity.

Your Chanel is not the woman I spoke of. Your physical description doesn't match and while many dancer changed stage names more often than they changed g-strings, the name doesn't match either. This girl may have been less than 5' tall because I am 5'4" and I was far taller than she was.

On a personal note, may I respectfully ask that you refrain in the future from referring to me as 'bro'? You can refer to me as anything of the feminine persuasion you like, but please, never 'bro'. Perhaps your mistake was in assuming that a woman (even in the company of a man) wouldn't attend the dance clubs in the Quarter?
Many apologies about the "bro" thing. So sad to hear of what sounds like a general decline in the whole area.
 
Many apologies about the "bro" thing. So sad to hear of what sounds like a general decline in the whole area.

Apology accepted and appreciated, sir. Now, don't forget to let me know when you post. I'm looking forward to reading your work. :rose:
 
Back
Top