"Queen of The Known World"

The City of Platt
(The dot northwest of Virta on the map.)


"Then he has taken Vint," Lady Stella asked as she read the message that had arrived via a bird. "He controls the city ... and Virta as well."

"Virta for certain, m'lady," said the Priest who, as the local member of the Order of Vint, maintained the aviary in which the messenger pigeons lived. "A rider from Virta arrived this morning to announce that the city was entirely under the control of the Northmen ... and the bird from Vint day before last reported that this heathen, Lord Baldr--"

"Your King!" Stella interrupted. Her tone wasn't a chastising one but was more of an informative one. When the Priest only stared at her, unsure of her exact meaning let along how he was to respond, she informed him with a matter of fact tone, "Chieftain Baldr has conquered Vint. He controls the two greatest cities of the Territory. He is not going anywhere soon. Even if the High Priestess's remaining forces and all of her allies ride upon the Clans, it will be weeks ... months ... possibly years before the heathens as you call them are routed."

She flashed the wedding announcement at him, continuing, "And by then, Lord Baldr will be King Baldr ... the husband to the heir of the Known World."

"She is not ... and will not be legitimate without the High Priestess's blessing of--" the Priest began.

But Stella cut him off, "Legitimacy ... will not come from your Priestess ... who had fled Vint in fear, leaving her people to the--"

She stopped and turned away from the man, wandering toward the window of her north tower to look out upon Lake Platt. Stella had almost said to the horrors of being sacked by the Northmen. Her future lay with Baldr. She knew that, of course. And while she had had a far better relationship with the Clans of the Unnamed Untamed than many of the more northern southern Nobles, Stella had had her own problems with the closest Clan which had had a continuing habit of raiding her remote farms and villages, raping, murdering, and pillaging her helpless subjects.

But Baldr's Clan hadn't been that Clan, so while in the back of her mind those memories remained, she still knew her future lay with him. In fact, to ensure that future, she herself would lay with Baldr! Hell, to secure title to her lands and a future for her sons, Stella would put the heathen's cock in her mouth like a common War Camp whore if it became necessary.

She turned back to the Priest and told him flatly, "Legitimacy of Lady Onya's titles ... of her ascension to Queen of the Known World ... will come not from the blessing of the High Priestess ... but from the sword of King Baldr." She flashed the message at the Priest again, then commanded, "Send word that I will be in Virta in three days to celebrate the royal wedding of Lady Onya and Chieftain Baldr."

After the man turned to leave, Stella stopped him with, "And ... send another message."

She hesitated a moment, wondering whether this was the right thing to do. She had told Baldr that she was carrying Tyr's child, even though it was still too early to know whether it was true or not. She'd contemplated sleeping with a Northman of similar appearance and build to better her chances of being with child, but realizing that her Moon Period wasn't right, the act would result in nothing more than unsatisfactory sex with a stranger. No, Tyr had been inside her -- had planted his seed -- when Stella had been most fertile. Either she was carrying his child or she wasn't.

"Send a message to Tyr of the Clan Baldr," she said with hesitation. When the Priest asked the message's content, Stella hesitated further, then only said, "Inform him that ... tell him ... that the City of Platt is ... open to him ... is welcoming to him ... and him alone ... should he ever wish to ride north again."

She looked to the Priest with a face exploding in red. He knew what she was trying to say without actually saying it; and he knew that the way she'd worded it was the only real way of saying it ... without saying it.

He bowed, telling her, "I shall send both birds, m'lady."

(OOC: I ran out of time and couldn't finish the rest. I will today on lunch.)
 
Last edited:
As Baldr took her into his arms and carried her so easily to the bed, Onya's heart began pounding in anticipation.

"Are you certain Onya? I do not mind waiting, it is only three days."

"Yes," she whispered to his, finding his lips in a passionate kiss. "I don't wish to wait ... please."

Soon, their bodies were entangled, as Onya wrapped her arms and legs around her lover and Baldr pressed his muscular body -- and particularly his solidly hardened cock -- into her small, welcoming one. She was desperate to have him inside her again, but when he drew back his groin, aimed his weapon, and intruded upon her, Onya grimaced and tensed up enough to get the man's attention.

"Wait, m'lord," she begged after he'd already hesitated, apparently realizing he was hurting her. She urged him off of her, begging, "I wish to be on top, m'lord."

Baldr rolled to his back, easily pulling Onya with him. She was a bit surprised, having expected him to simply push forward with fucking her on her back. She smiled to him, leaning down to kiss him softly, then more passionately, pressing her breasts into his solid torso. When she rose up away from him, Onya smiled, then laughed nervously. She knew she wanted control, but honestly, she didn't know what she was supposed to do. She looked down between her parted thighs to find his erect shaft, then blushed so fiery red that she thought her head was going to explode. In their first night together, Onya hadn't touched Baldr's cock. He'd simply pushed it into her and moved it about until they were both happy with the result.

Onya looked to Baldr's face again, giggling before begging, "Please close your eyes, m'lord. Please." She reached up to cover his eyes, giggling. "Please ... Baldr."

She smiled as she partially uncovered his eyes to see his reaction to her calling him by his given name. She could only remember having done it once before, and she'd been naked with his depleted cock in her again. She pressed her hand over his eyes again, begging, "Please, m'lord. I can't do this if you watch me."

Onya pulled her hand back again to find Baldr's eyes closed. She pulled her hand back and, with the other, caressed the man's muscles, from his shoulders to his chest to his belly, all the time with her already well wetted pussy so close to her lover's cock that he could probably feel the warmth of it on his sensitive skin.

Finally, her lowering hands ever so slowly moved to his cock. She only barely touched him ... caressing its length ... a little ... then more ... then fully. She touched the blood vessels with the tips of her fingers, trailing them down his shaft, watching them shift under the thin layer of skin hiding them. She thought she sensed Baldr looking at her, but when she looked up his eyes were closed still ... or again. She laughed, commanding, "Keep them closed, m'lord."

Onya watched him for a moment, then looked back to the man's cock. She caressed it for a moment more, then took hold of it with one hand as she reached the other up to press against Baldr's chest. She leaned her weight forward, maneuvering him between her legs, then found her joy place with the head of his cock. She lowered her weight a bit, feeling him press at her hole.

She didn't initially yield, but playing his end against her, wetting it well, Onya finally managed to get it to penetrate her. She groaned as Baldr's cock entered her, lifting her body up, then down farther, then up, then down farther again. It felt as though Onya was taking in several additional inches of him with each new lowering of herself upon him, yet it took forever to finally have him fully inside her.

Onya let out a long, deep moan as she simply sat upon his groin, getting accustomed to Baldr being in her to his hilt. She had a hard time understanding how she'd even gotten him in her the first time. Onya had closed her own eyes at some point, she couldn't recall when; but now, as she began to very slowly move her hips to and fro, she decided to keep them shut. She was embarrassed about what she was doing -- horrified, actually -- and she just couldn't imagine watching Baldr watch her.

But soon enough, she was moving back and forth enough that much of Baldr's shaft was moving in and out of her. She was amazed at how good it felt, particularly at her clit, which was rubbing back and forth against the curly hair covered flesh at the meeting of his belly and cock. Onya continued to work her lover in and out of her, her speed increasing, the length of the strokes increasing, the speed of her heart and breathing increasing, the pleasure ... increasing.

Onya's moans had become light cries, then ... she felt it coming ... felt that magic nearing. She pushed up away from Baldr's body, rising tall, then arching back beyond tall, until she had to reach back to grasp the tops of the Chief's thighs...

And then, with a long scream, Onya's body exploded in ecstasy. She tried to continue her movements, but after only a few jerks of her body upon Baldr, she went still, with the exceptions of the gasps coming from her mouth and the trembles causing her entire body to shiver noticeably.
 
Baldr loved the way Onya took charge. He knew it would be awhile before she became used to his size and while she adjusted it would be better if she was the one who was in control. He did not mind handing over the reins so to speak. Some men always had to be in charge, be it on the battlefield, in their home on in the bed. Baldr however knew when to defer to those who were more knowledgeable. He had been told it was one of his strengths. He did not allow them to take over or rule him, but he allowed people to speak their minds and he sought out advice.

With Onya he knew that he would be seeking out her advice a lot during their rule, indeed she would probably be making most of the decisions when it came to the negotiating table or policies. He knew he was there for the military side of things and he was happy with the arrangement. In the bedroom he was also happy to wait until she had grown up a little and become accustomed to him. He did not want her to become with child straight away. He thought her too young. If she could hardly take his shaft between her legs he did not want a child trying to force it's way out. He could wait a few years. Still that did not mean they could not have fun practicing.

He marveled at her body as she began to move above him and he saw how her pain soon turned to pleasure. He hoped that soon there would be no pain at all when they did this. He was a little disappointed that she kept her eyes shut. He wanted her to see how much pleasure he was getting from her as well. Indeed the closer she came to her own release the closer he did.

As her cry of ecstasy filled the room Baldr jerked his hips up and filled her belly with his seed. He was not even sure she felt it as he convulsed underneath her, as she was so still, her hands clutching his chest and her mouth open gasping for breath. Suddenly she fell upon him and he lay back, both of them panting and covered in sweat.

Once again he was still inside her and he covered her with furs as he kissed her softly. He was drained but felt remarkably good. This was his wife even if they were not married. In his heart they were and let any man or woman try to deny it. he would kill them where they stood. Wrapping her in his arms he drifted off to slumber. Tomorrow was another big day, but perhaps he could start it off pleasantly.
 
Onya awoke just before dawn to the sound of the fire, obviously recently fed and stoked. She listened for movement, found it, then whispered, "Gree?"

Soft footsteps shuffled across the hardwood floor until the servant appeared in a gap between the canopied bed's drapes. Gree bowed her head, responding in a whisper, "Yes, m'lady. I didn't mean to wake you."

Onya checked Baldr and found him still soundly asleep. He should be. During the night, Onya had awoken, teased his cock back to life, then rolled to her belly and asked him to Take her like the bull he was. He'd fucked her to another orgasm each before they passed out in one another's arms again. She asked Gree to hand her a night gown, which she donned before gesturing Gree to the edge of the bed, saying, "I have questions."

Gree was obviously shy about nearing the couple while they were still in their bed. Gree had seen Onya naked, had bathed her, had helped her shave her joy place, and had even taught her how to make love in a sense. And she'd been in Baldr's tent while Onya lay with him. But there was just something ... wrong about being this close to her future King and Queen now. There were things that had changed, and things that had stayed the same, and things that had only seemed to change but hadn't, and ... oh, it was confusing for the teen. She knew that she felt uncomfortable being this close to the couple when they probably even still smelled of energetic sex.

"Come here!" Onya growled in whisper, giggling. "It is alright."

When Gree was close enough, Onya snatched the girl by the hand and pulled her up onto the bed. They giggled together when Baldr rolled to his back, exposing his muscular chest and stretching a leg right down the bed in between the two. Onya leaned in close and asked, "Rumor is ... you slept with a Nobleman last night. Is this true?"

Gree blushed a fiery red, dropping her eyes. After a moment, she nodded tentatively, then covered her mouth to muffle her giggles.

"Does having a title make him a better lover?"

Again Gree laughed, and after a moment answered, "He was so excited..."

Onya waited for her to finish, and when she didn't she prodded, "And...?"

"I can't!" she whispered, looking to Baldr with embarrassment. But when Onya ordered her to continue -- "Your lady commands it!" -- Gree blushed again, checked her Chieftain once more, then leaned in to Onya's ear and reported, "We never went to sleep, m'lady. We only just quit a bit ago ... so that I could tend to you."

Not meaning to do so, Onya laughed so loudly that Baldr's eyes opened suddenly. The two girls giggled, then laughed loudly at the man's reaction to finding them at the end of the bed. Onya looked to her lover and said bluntly, "Mlady Gree of the Clan Baldr spent the entire night practicing at making Horse Warriors for m'lord--"

Gree screeched in shock, burying her head into Onya's shoulder in embarrassment, even as Onya was laughing loudly and hugging her closely. She said to Baldr, "M'lord, I think Gree deserves a day off from her duties of serving me ... for her dedication to the Clan, do you not?"

Gree tried to escape the bed, but Onya's playful clutching of her made it impossible. They laughed loud and long, waiting for a response from the Chieftain. And only then did Onya send her friend and servant on her way...

...so that she could again make love to her future King and Husband.
 
Baldr had been surprised to wake up to find not only his naked wife in his bed but her teen-aged servant. He had merely raised an eyebrow at his wife waiting for an explanation and then smiled when he heard it. "Why I think that is an excellent idea. I do believe our newest lord might even want to try a few more times before his duties call to him," he smiled. "You best hurry back to him, but please tell him your lady needs you tomorrow so you will need your sleep tonight, well at least some." He chuckled as she blushed a deep red and made a hasty retreat.

Onya herself laughed as she crawled back into bed and looked at him. Suddenly she kissed him and reached for his manhood. It looked like Yol was not the only one that was going to enjoy a pleasant morning.

An hour later Baldr had dressed leaving a smiling Onya in bed and headed for his audience chamber. Once there he spent the morning in meetings, sorting out details. He also made sure that rooms were ready for the guests he was expecting today especially the Lady Stella and Lord Corol. He had been informed by rider that the Lord would be coming and by pigeon that the Lady would be. Actually Corol would probably not arrive until tomorrow but it was best to be prepared.

He took his lunch in the room and glanced outside when he heard a commotion. A carriage and a small escort of soldiers had pulled up and Tyr was there to greet it. A lovely woman stepped from it and Baldr smiled. This must be the Baroness his man had told him about. Well he had told Tyr to get her settled in her rooms and provide any food, drink or anything else she needed. A bath would already be running for her and by the looks of things she had not brought too much luggage. A sensible woman then.

The rest of the day was taken up with inspections and meetings and he was exhausted by the time he made it back to his room to bathe and change. Tonight's dinner would be special. he would meet Lady Stella for the first time and see if she was every bit as good as Tyr said she was. If she was he would have no qualms aligning himself with her or sending him off to be his representative. If the man wanted to marry her was his decision though.

He waited for Onya to arrive so they could go to dinner together.
 
(OOC: If you are following our story, there will be a new post to the thread "The Lady of the Lake" that takes place just a bit before this one, restarting that thread once more. ("Lady..." is a 1x1 thread involving Tyr and Stella that is written separately, in case you didn't already know that.) I don't have time to write that post at the moment. Tonight, I promise.)



"Lady Stella of Platt," announced the Novitiate, Urtin, who was standing at the entrance to what was now being referred to as Onya's office.

Stella entered and walked forward, eying the young woman sitting in a chair that wasn't quite a royal throne but also wasn't quite ... well, a common chair. The queen-to-be was younger than Stella had thought, not that that mattered. There had been far younger royals during the history of the Known World. She stopped about ten feet from Onya and gave a graceful and respectful curtsey before admitting, "I am very sorry ... but I am unsure of how to address you. My lady...? Or My Grace?"

Onya had already been smiling, but somehow her lips spread even wider. Despite her lover and Chief's repeated meetings with this lord and that, this meeting with Stella was Onya's first official audience since her return to Virta. "As I have not yet been crowned by the High Priest as Queen ... I would think m'lady would suffice for now ... Baroness."

Onya saw the other young woman's reaction to the use of the title that had, thus far, been denied her by the Order of Vint. "I promise you, Lady Stella ... your titles to the Barony of Platt will be put into the record after my coronation."

Stella's face lit up with delight. For days during her travel from Platt to Virta, she'd feared that this Onya might also refuse her that which she had long felt were hers. And to hear this now made her almost as happy as had her reunion with Tyr a couple of hours earlier in the elegant quarters that had been made available for her visit.

As if reading the other woman's mind, Onya asked and received answers to, "Were you happy with your room...?"

"Yes, m'lady."

"Comfortable then?"

"Very."

"And ... Lord Tyr..." It was the first time Onya had referred to the Horse Warrior turned Karant by such honor. She saw the effect of the man's name on the young woman. "He requested the honor of an audience with you."

Stella blushed a fiery red, casting her gaze downward for a moment. He had had more than just an audience with her, not that she would tell such details to a woman -- a Queen to be -- that she had only just met. When she looked back up, Stella offered only, "Yes, m'lady."

Onya's wide, knowing smile returned, and she wanted to laugh but controlled herself. Instead she only said, "Lord Baldr and I will host a dinner tonight ... for the guests of our upcoming wedding and coronation. I would be honored if you could attend."

It was just a formality, the invitation. They both knew that Stella would be there, of course. Otherwise, she'd ridden in a bouncing coach on a long, rough, poorly maintained road for nothing. Stella curtseyed again, telling Onya she'd be there, then with farewells, departed ... knowing that in just days she would finally and officially be Baroness Stella of Platt.

Urtin closed the outer door to the offices, then returned to bow before Onya, offering out a message and telling her, "A bird arrive, m'lady ... from Sevat."

Onya stood with excitement and moved forward to take the note, opening and beginning to read through it...

To Lady Onya, from your loyal servant, Lady Randianna of the Barony of Nolk...​

Onya smiled broadly, thinking, Well, that's good news already. Without having ever met the Baroness and without even being in a position of true authority over the woman, Randianna was already pledging her service to Onya. She continued reading, finding all the appropriate platitudes that could fit in the limited space of a bird's message. Then, her smile faded a bit as she read...

...while I would be honored to enjoin the Houses of Nolk and Ras Rufna, I would be amiss not to inform you that I am currently with child by my recently deceased husband.​

Well, that definitely put a damper on Onya's plans for the future of the Territory of Ras Rufna! She sent Urtin away and spent an hour or so with one of the Priests she'd found knew almost everything there was to know about the Nobility of the Known World, only to find she now had more questions than answers.

"You do not share this information with Lord Baldr," she told the Priest before sending him away.

She called in her new Chamber Maids and got ready for dinner, hoping to be able to hide the emotions she was feeling about having had her first negotiation fall apart before it had even begun.
 
Baldr had met with his Karants on the open field in front of the city and taken several people with him. Yol was one as was Tyr and several other brave men. There were losses to be filled in his hierarchy and he was going to promote worthy people to Karants in the time honored tradition of the Clan.

The men to be promoted were put on their horses and put through several trials. All passed as he knew they would and then he presented them with a pendant from his own war chest and a spear from his own armory. These men now took up positions as his Karants. Yol and Tyr were given a stranger title never heard of in the clans before. Baldr told his Karants that a need for a new title had come about now they were in the south. The Karants would always be honored but now the needed Lords to do the jobs the warlike Karants could not do.

Yol and Tyr were the first to be given these titles and a new chain from Baldrs war chest. Afterwards as they returned to the city Baldr told Tyr of lady Stella's arrival and the rooms set aside for her. He told him to visit her and make sure she was settled in comfortably and had everything she needed. He smiled as his man grinned and sped off.

The rest of his day was much the same as it had been for the past several days. Arrangements had to be made, troops and tradesman taken care of and disputes settled. By days end he was looking forward to a meal and visiting with Onya.
 
Onya entered the dining hall with a confident stride that suddenly faltered. Within just a few steps, all eyes turned to her ... and a lot of eyes there were! Her stomach turned over anxiously as her eyes scanned and her brain calculated, coming up with at least thirty men and women, all of whom quickly or eventually performed some form of bow, curtsey, or respectful nod once she'd started forward once more.

Quickly, Onya searched the crowd for the one person she needed to see there, but Baldr was no where to be seen. Her heart began to pound rapidly in her chest, the blood surging through her ears like knuckles on the long dining table that was already covered with drink and pre-meal food snacks to tide the guests over until the main course arrived.

"M'lady," a familiar female voice sounded. Onya's panicked look faded, and she chuckled in relief at the sight of Stella. The Baroness from Platt stepped up close and took Onya's hands in her own, a knowing expression in her eyes as she whispered, "Take a breath ... relax ... or you're going to pass out."

Onya laughed again, trying to position herself so that most of the others couldn't see her behind the other woman who, unfortunately, was almost a head shorter than her own 5'9" height. She whispered, "Who are all these people? I thought ... I thought there would be--"

"They are your subjects, m'lady," Stella cut in, speaking barely above a whisper. She squeezed Onya's hands. "M'lady..." Onya's gaze was still shifting all about the room. Stella said a bit firmer, "Onya." When the queen to be looked back to her, Stella smiled widely and whispered, "They are just people ... like you ... like me. You'll be fine."

"Where's Baldr?" Onya asked, the panic still evident in her voice. When Stella turned away and nodded, Onya caught sight of her future husband standing near the head of the table, eying her. Her smile widened again, and she chuckled short, sharp, and relieved. She looked back to Stella and said with great sincerity, "You are a good friend."

Stella smiled, then curtseyed slightly -- just enough, considering she already had for this meeting -- then stepped back and whispered one final time, "Breath."

Onya drew in a breath so deep, released it, and strode through the crowd toward her Chieftain. Many of the guests greeted her with words, others with nonverbal respect, but all Onya wanted from this crowd was a gap through them to Baldr. When she reached him, she took his arm just above the elbow, grasping it so tightly that if done to her she would have squealed.

"I thought there were going to be a handful," she whispered, her face away from the crowd. She looked up to him, out at them, then back to the wall behind him again, whispering, "I don't think I can do this."
 
Baldr had bathed and then changed and headed to the dining hall. As he got closer he heard louder than normal noise coming from it and so he was not as surprised as he should have been when he walked through the door and found thirty strangers mingling in his dining hall.

As he entered, those closest to him began to bow and as news rippled through the room, those further away turned and did the same or curtsied. Not one used to this he nodded his head and made his way towards his usual table. He was trying to remember what was going on then he recalled a meeting he had had earlier in the day. Something about a formal dinner to be held welcoming the Baroness.

He should have remembered and warned Onya about it. He had told her there would be a dinner to welcome Stella but he hadn't known it would be this large. Hell he didn't know more than five people in this room.

He finally managed to grab a cup of something and a few small things to eat when someone accosted him and started asking him questions about some Count he had never heard of and what he thought of the Battle tactics of his men. He was clueless and so got the man to explain in detail all he had seen which he seemed glad to do, at length. He looked around for Onya as he did.

Suddenly she was there, holding his arm like a lost child did to it's parents. He placed his hand over hers in a comforting gesture and continued to nod at the man as if his conversation was fascinating to him. Really he was listening to her heavy breathing and feeling her shivering body.

"I thought there were going to be a handful," she whispered, "I don't think I can do this."

Baldr gave her hand another squeeze and then glanced at her before looking away. "You are the strongest woman I know," he whispered to her. "You have survived a kidnapping and stared down an army. What is a roomful of people to you?"

Then interrupting the man before him he gave him a precise, quick analysis of what was wrong with the Counts tactics and how he could be defeated and then excused himself. Still holding Onya's hand he took her up to the head table and sat her down in her chair and then waited for Stella to join them and held her chair out for her. He watched as Tyr took the seat next to her and smiled.

He gestured for the remaining guests to be seated and then held out his cup. "I know it is strange to start a meal with a toast but I will do so. Soon I am to wed my beautiful Onya and become King of the Known World. Some of you are frightened by this, a Barbarian on the throne what calamity will befall us. Is he forcing her to marry him, what hold does he have over her? Well I tell you I have no hold over Onya except maybe love and I will never force her to do anything."

He gestured for her to stand up. "Long live the Queen" he said drinking from his cup and then smiling at her as he bowed to her.
 
"You are the strongest woman I know..."
...Baldr whispered.

Onya glanced up into his eyes with a doubtful expression on her face. But he continued...
"You have survived a kidnapping and stared down an army. What is a roomful of people to you?"

He was right, of course. She glanced about the room as some overdressed windbag continued to rant on about some battle that, for all Onya knew, had happened before her birth. They're just people, she tried to convince herself. They're just nobles, like me.

But she knew that there was no Noble like her. Onya had gone from daughter of a King to hostage to student to slave to Untouched to -- if things went as planned -- Queen-to-be of the Known World. Despite the Falling Wars and the multitude of other military and political upsets that had left the land in its current condition, none of the people assembled here -- most of them twice her age and more -- had seen what Onya had seen in her short life.

Baldr cut off the rambling man with a confident analysis, then -- still holding Onya's hand -- led her to the head of the wide table, where two chairs sat side by side. The Priests who had discussed the dinner preparations -- mostly separately -- with Onya and Baldr had suggested the standard method of seating. That standard would have seen Onya sitting at one end of the table while Baldr sat at the other. It was a political statement that gave each monarch his or her due while leaving questionable which was actually the true leader.

Onya had forbidden it, stressing to the Priest, "I will sit next to my betrothed ... next to my and your King."

The Priest had tried to find a polite and diplomatic way to argue against Onya's demand, eventually setting on, "With all due respect, m'Lady ... but ... the tables ... they are not wide enough to properly seat two--"

"Then build new ones!" she'd snapped at the man, signaling to the Clan Guardsmen Baldr now had escorting her everywhere to drag the man out, telling them, "Get him an ax with which to build ... and if he fails, cut his head off with it."

Now, as she sat next to Baldr at wide tables which had not recently been constructed, Onya couldn't help but smile a bit. She imagined the Priest rushing all about the Castle and City of Vint searching for wide tables.

The rest of the guests sat, including Stella -- who winked at Onya to reassure her of her presence and support -- and Tyr, who the future Queen couldn't help but notice seemed more happy and ... relaxed since she last saw him. Onya looked back to Stella after studying Tyr and smirked devilishly, causing the Baroness to look away sharply as she blushed a fiery red.

"I know it is strange to start a meal with a toast but I will do so..."
...Baldr began.

Onya listened to her betrothed speech closely, but her gaze was on the faces -- and reactions -- from the assembled Nobles. As with Baldr, she knew only a few of the faces. But it was obvious from the expressions on each of them which was and which was not going to willingly fall into place behind the Orphan Queen and Barbarian King. And Onya had little doubt at all that the next time she and Baldr held a state dinner, some of the faces now feigning happiness to be present would be on heads standing not above proud shoulders but above spikes lining the Road to Vint.

Onya stood at her heathen Lord's gesture and toast...
"Long live the Queen."

Up and down both sides of the table, the Nobles stood and repeated the cheer. Onya sensed a lack of enthusiasm in some of the voices, though. Yet, she ignored it. She and Baldr were invaders -- conquerors -- in the minds of some of these men and women. Many Nobles who had been invited to the dinner had either shunned the invitation or sent supposedly sincere apologies for a variety of reasons. But, that didn't at all mean that those who had appeared were here to show their undying support. The delight expressed by Stella and Tyr, Yol and Gree -- the couples seated nearest she and Baldr -- couldn't be expected from all assembled.

But as Onya looked into her lover's eyes and smiled -- knowing that she was one more step closer to her childhood dream and true destiny -- Onya knew that the only person from whom she needed acceptance, loyalty, and strength was Baldr. She reached to her own glass raising it as she looked out upon the gathering, toasting, "Long live the King!"

Again, the crowd -- still standing -- repeated the words and lifted their glasses. And again the enthusiasm was lacking in certain mouths and expressions. What Onya found ironic, though, was that the faces that showed hesitance in saluting Baldr weren't necessarily the ones who had shown it saluting her and vice versa. As they all drank together and sat, Onya couldn't help but wonder what was going through the minds of the land owners before her.

At the command of a Priest standing near, the large staff of servants suddenly appeared from seemingly every direction, their hands full of platters, bowls, and pitchers. Soon, there were as many peasants in the room as there were Nobles, the former tending to the latter as the discussion and laughter typical of such dinners filled the room with noise. On a mezzanine above them, a five piece band made an effort to fill the room with joyous music without disturbing the conversations below.



Over the course of the dinner, Onya shifted her attention so often from Baldr to Stella to Gree to the guests and back that she almost felt dizzy at times. Of course, that might have been due to the wine, which she'd been drinking a bit too much of out of nervousness. After the main course had been cleared, the first of many desserts came out. It was a Southern pudding made of goats milk, a tree nut called cacao, and a wild root called Marsh Mallow. One of the unfamiliar Noble males made a comment about the dessert, claiming it had originated in his lands. Another Noble disagreed, and a playful back and forth about the origins of the ingredients ensued.

"My Lord Baldr!" one of the arguing Nobles called down the table to Baldr. With a respectful nod and tone he said, "You have heard the evidence and claims put forth by myself and my fellow Lords and Ladies. And it is obvious that we are not going to come to agreement on the issue. Perhaps m'lord would honor us with his declaration of who is most likely the truth teller at the table."

There was laughter, finger pointing, counter claims, and more solicitations of Baldr to declare a winner in the argument. But before he could make a declaration, Onya laid a soft hand upon the back of the assemblage's judge, asking, "If I may, m'lord?"

She waited for his approval, then stood ... a bit unsteadily she realized suddenly. To cover for her slight intoxication, Onya pressed the ends of her fingertips to the table, hoping no one would notice. The last thing she wanted was for these Noble men and women with whom she'd only just made acquaintance to think she was a drunkard.

"I believe that Lord Baldr..." Onya looked to the man and nodded with respect before looking back down the table and continuing, "...would agree with me when I say that claims are easy to make ... but it is proof that will settle this argument. There-fore ... I put forth a challenge."

She turned to walk around behind Baldr, letting her hand play over him in an intimate way before coming out from behind his chair to slowly pace about the room as she continued, "Before the Falling Wars resulted in the sacking and theft of uncountable volumes of knowledge from the Great Library of Virta, the greatest mystery of all time ... the origin of the Marsh Mallow pudding had been protected within its great collections."

There was a giggle, and when Onya turned to look for its source she realized that it had been Stella. Onya laughed herself, continuing, "Laugh if you will, but the great treasures of the Known World ... knowledge and history and yes, the recipe for Marsh Mallow pudding ... were collected and protected by the Priests of the Order of Vint for generations--"

There was laughter and cheers of agreement about the table. Onya laughed again as she reached and turned about the end of the table. She continued with a tone reminiscent of Baldr about to send his troops into battle, "Therefore...! I issue a challenge--"

She looked to Baldr, smiling, "--in the name of the King of the Known World and future Protector of the Great Library of Virta! Find ... that recipe! Return it to Virta, where it will be protected for generations to come..."

The assemblage about the table was getting into the challenge now, with raised glasses and supporting cheers of Onya. She looked again to Baldr, blushing at the realization that she'd taken this a bit farther than she would have if she hadn't already had three glasses of wine.

"And...!" she continued, raising her volume above the noise continuing up and down the table, "...a challenge would not be a challenge ... if there was not a reward at the end of it ... for the victor."

By now, Onya was again at her own chair. She laid one hand on Baldr's arm and lifted her glass -- which had been refilled while she strode -- with the other. She contemplated a reward -- seeing how she hadn't realized she was going to offer one until just seconds ago -- and declared, "Find and return the knowledge and treasures stolen from the Great Library of Virta ... find the dishonorable rabble who pillaged the greatest collection of all time..."

Onya knew very well that the dishonorable rabble about whom she spoke in some cases included these very Nobles or, at least, their recent ancestors. The pillaged works of the Great Library had been of little value to the original sackers of the buildings and had been sold to those who could appreciate it, including the Nobles now sitting before Onya. That loot, particularly the treasured volumes and art work of the Library, now filled the private and public chambers of Houses across the Known World. Would those seated here give it up to fulfill the challenge or please their Queen and King? Or would those about them steal the stolen and return it for reward?

Onya continued, "...and I promise you compensation for each and every item recovered. And...!" She smiled broadly, lofting her glass higher before the assemblage. "Find the original recipe for this humble but treasured dessert ... bring it to your King..." Onya turned to toast Baldr before looking back to the others to continue, "And from then to the end of time ... the Marsh Mallow pudding will carry the name of your Noble House throughout the kitchens of the Known World..."

There was some more laughter and cheers, but it wasn't nearly the result Onya had been hoping for. So she raised her glass higher and declared, "And a County in the territories from which those three ingredients come will be yours!"

The reaction was stunning. Some of the Nobles looked shock, while others stood and held their drinks aloft, cheering the challenge. Onya only smiled, drank from her glass, and dropped back into her seat to look to Baldr for his reaction. Then she looked to Stella, whose face was filled with joy, a result of the young Queen's coming out before the Nobles who had previously scared her so deeply.

"Did I just give away three Counties..." she asked leaning closer to the woman who had so quickly become one of her only two friends, "...for a dessert that I, myself, don't even like?"

Stella laughed, patting her hand and laughing, "I have a great turkey sauce that came from my gran-mama. Will that get me an island in the Inner Sea."

The two laughed loudly before Onya turned back to Baldr, smiled to him, then leaned in close to him and whispered, "I need you between my legs, my King."
 
Baldr smiled as Onya seemed to take heart from his words and as he made his speech he kept glancing at her to make sure she was ready to face the crowd. He finally ended it with his toast and sat down and was surprised when she stood up.

She reached to her own glass raising it as she looked out upon the gathering, toasting, "Long live the King!"

He smiled and tipped his cup to her as he drank but noted the people only mumbling the words or saying them behind grimaced faces. They would be the ones he would have to watch or convince he was not here to raid their lands.

"My Lord Baldr!" one of the arguing Nobles called down the table to Baldr. With a respectful nod and tone he said, "You have heard the evidence and claims put forth by myself and my fellow Lords and Ladies. And it is obvious that we are not going to come to agreement on the issue. Perhaps m'lord would honor us with his declaration of who is most likely the truth teller at the table."

It took him a moment to realize what the man was talking about, then as he recalled some of the conversations that had been going on around him, he guessed it had something to do with the dessert he had been served. Truly he did not really care overly much about it, but these nobles seemed to. He racked his brains to come up with an answer and just as he was about to try and formulate an answer Onya came to his rescue.

Onya laid a soft hand upon the back of the assemblage's judge, asking, "If I may, m'lord?". Baldr nodded and she continued.

"I believe that Lord Baldr..." Onya looked to the man and nodded with respect before looking back down the table and continuing, "...would agree with me when I say that claims are easy to make ... but it is proof that will settle this argument. There-fore ... I put forth a challenge."

Baldr wondered just what sort of challenge his soon to be wife would come up with.It would be hard for any one Noble to come up with proof that they or rather their ancestors had created the recipe for the dish. Just how was she going to have them prove such a thing?

She turned to walk around behind Baldr, letting her hand play over him in an intimate way before coming out from behind his chair to slowly pace about the room as she continued, "Before the Falling Wars resulted in the sacking and theft of uncountable volumes of knowledge from the Great Library of Virta, the greatest mystery of all time ... the origin of the Marsh Mallow pudding had been protected within its great collections."

There was a giggle, and when Onya turned to look for its source she realized that it had been Stella. Onya laughed herself, continuing, "Laugh if you will, but the great treasures of the Known World ... knowledge and history and yes, the recipe for Marsh Mallow pudding ... were collected and protected by the Priests of the Order of Vint for generations--"

There was laughter and cheers of agreement about the table. Onya laughed again as she reached and turned about the end of the table. She continued with a tone reminiscent of Baldr about to send his troops into battle, "Therefore...! I issue a challenge--"

She looked to Baldr, smiling, "--in the name of the King of the Known World and future Protector of the Great Library of Virta! Find ... that recipe! Return it to Virta, where it will be protected for generations to come..."

Baldr was impressed. He was sure Onya was making this up as she went along and that she was rather drunk to boot, yet she had everyone here in the palm of her hand, including those that had only just recently been rather cold towards her. He was once again amazed at her ability to turn a crowds mentality around.

The assemblage about the table was getting into the challenge now, with raised glasses and supporting cheers of Onya. She looked again to Baldr, blushing at the realization that she'd taken this a bit farther than she would have if she hadn't already had three glasses of wine.

"And...!" she continued, raising her volume above the noise continuing up and down the table, "...a challenge would not be a challenge ... if there was not a reward at the end of it ... for the victor."

By now, Onya was again at her own chair. She laid one hand on Baldr's arm and lifted her glass -- which had been refilled while she strode -- with the other. She contemplated a reward -- seeing how she hadn't realized she was going to offer one until just seconds ago -- and declared, "Find and return the knowledge and treasures stolen from the Great Library of Virta ... find the dishonorable rabble who pillaged the greatest collection of all time..."

Onya continued, "...and I promise you compensation for each and every item recovered. And...!" She smiled broadly, lofting her glass higher before the assemblage. "Find the original recipe for this humble but treasured dessert ... bring it to your King..." Onya turned to toast Baldr before looking back to the others to continue, "And from then to the end of time ... the Marsh Mallow pudding will carry the name of your Noble House throughout the kitchens of the Known World..."

There was some more laughter and cheers, but it wasn't nearly the result Onya had been hoping for. So she raised her glass higher and declared, "And a County in the territories from which those three ingredients come will be yours!"

Baldr looked stunned at her. She had just given up lands in three counties at a whim, yet she had probably just bought the loyalty of everyone there. Indeed if anyone of them had the book containing the recipe in their collection he could expect it very shortly. He would also expect that other books would soon be making their way to him. If a recipe was worth three counties what would be the worth of other collections? Of course that would be up to the Priests to decide and he hoped to not give out any more lands, especially ones he did not own yet. Still if they were important enough he supposed he would have to deal with that when it came along.


Onya turned back to Baldr, smiled to him, then leaned in close to him and whispered, "I need you between my legs, my King."

Baldr's smile widened and he leaned towards her. "My feelings exactly my Queen. However we must stay for a little longer before we can slip away."

For the next hour the talk was all about the Queens challenge and where people thought the recipe might be located. Finally Baldr and Onya announced their department and adjourned back to their rooms. As soon as they were alone together Baldr had her out of her clothes and on the bed as he divested himself of his own.

He proceeded to get her sufficiently wet and then gently enter her, taking his time. As he began to make love to her he smiled down at her. "For someone that wished to wait until we were married my dear we are doing this an awful lot, not that I am complaining," he chuckled.
 
"My feelings exactly my Queen. However we must stay for a little longer before we can slip away."

Onya feigned a childish pouty lower lip, not caring whether or not anyone saw her do so. After the excitement of her impromptu challenge setting and the rush she'd gotten from the reaction of the others, she had suddenly found herself burning with desire for her lover.

The conversations continued onward, but all the teenage queen to be could think about was getting naked with the powerful Northern Chieftain who so very well rocked her world and -- sometimes -- made her sorry she'd remained an Untouched for all those years.

"M'lady," a soft voice interrupted as the discussion turned to the Frenkish Emperor's recent military forays to the west and south, into the lands that some of these nobles' Houses had once controlled before the Falling Wars. She turned to find the very welcomed face of her Urtin, her personal Novitiate. "She is here, m'lady."

Onya nodded to the young man, then turned to Baldr and excused herself without explanation. Ten minutes later, she returned, sat, and patted Baldr's hand as she smiled, telling him only, "Forgive me, m'lord."

They returned to the conversations, to which Onya sometimes commented yet held little interest. Most of them were about military situations or political situations that would most likely be solved by military means. This was Baldr's area of expertise, and -- if there was to bloodshed involved -- Onya was perfectly fine with leaving such details to her warrior lover.



Finally alone in their bed chamber, Baldr told Onya as he fondled her hole to wetness...
"For someone that wished to wait until we were married my dear we are doing this an awful lot, not that I am complaining," he chuckled.

She laughed loudly, grasping at his cock to urge him forth as the alcohol continued to spur on her already fire hot lust for him. "And we will continue to do it an awful lot, m'love ... maybe even right through our marriage ceremony."

As she felt his mighty cock intrude upon her, Onya moaned, slowed his approach just a moment, then urged him on, saying about the ceremony's guests, "Give'em something to consider beyond armies and boundaries ... and pudding!"



Onya awoke with the harsh light of the morning sun in her eyes, the strong arm of her lover under her neck, and a fierce pounding in her head. She'd never drank enough wine to awake hungover before, and the throbbing inside her skull was simply unbelievable. She rose quietly, only causing Baldr to stir a bit, before donning a thin robe and padding her way down the bed chamber's private hallway to its equally private garderobe. She sat upon the open, cold stone and peed, wiped with a cotton cloth that she then tossed into a bucket of dirty clothes, then padded her way back to the bedroom, her eyes half closed as the pain within her head continued.

Onya returned to the bed in her chambers, sitting on her knees next to Baldr, studying him. She didn't remember much about their night of sex, but the swelling of flesh between her thighs told her he had pummeled her pussy long and hard before one or the other of them had finally surrendered?

There was a soft knock at the door, to which Onya whispered, "Come."

The Chamber Maid entered, asked Onya about her needs for the morning, then hurried off to gather the requested food, water, and firewood. Onya turned her attention back to Baldr ... then smiling devilishly, reached under the bedding -- the most comfortable and expensive under which they'd ever slept together -- and found his cock. Ever so gently, she caressed the underside of it, causing it to stiffen long and hard before the rest of him had even began to stir. When Baldr's eyes finally fluttered open, Onya giggle and threw back the bedding. Her lover's cock was, by now, standing at an angle over his curly mass of pubic hair.

"Wakey, wakey," she told him as she saw a chill from the sudden exposure explode his flesh with goose bumps. Quickly, Onya laid upon Baldr, pressing her lips to his mouth, her bosom to his chest, and her opened groin to his rock hard cock. As she began rocking her lower body to cause her wet labia to wet his shaft, Onya whispered, "I know it probably doesn't mean much since I don't remember hardly any of it ... but last night was unbelievable."

She kissed him passionately, then laughed loudly and leapt out of the bed, telling him, "I couldn't get you inside me now if I wanted, so ... don't want, m'love. Besides ... we have matters of State to discuss."

She threw the blankets back over Baldr, then padded across to retrieve a long, warm robe, contemplating that phrase -- matters of State -- and her use of it. It was remarkable for Onya to recall that just months ago, she'd been this man's slave. And now, at his side, she was making decisions that would -- eventually and hopefully -- affect the rule of the entirety of the Known World and all the people within it. How did this happen?

"Last evening when I left dinner," she began, moving back to the bed to knee walk her way up close to Baldr. "I met with someone you may remember ... First Captain Ellanora of the City of Vint Darkness."

She studied Baldr's reaction for a moment, then continued, "She travelled north under the watchful eye of both Clan Horsemen and Lord Corol's cavalry to speak with you. I asked why she hadn't announced her visit before hand ... send a bird or a rider, to which she told me there were, in her words, security issues with which she needed to talk to you ... in private."

The Chamber Maid knocked again, then entered -- accompanied by two other servants -- to deliver all Onya had asked for. Once the three were gone again, Onya said to Baldr with a tone of reminiscence, "Captain Ellanora expressed her regrets to me that she couldn't tell me more ... that she needed to speak to you specifically ... then--"

She drew a sudden, sharp breath as the emotions took hold of her. Onya's eyes glazed a bit before she finished, "Then ... she told me she had news about ... about Aliza's body. I--" The first sob escaped, followed by the first tear, as she slid into Baldr's arms, desperate for comfort. She finished, "I couldn't ... I couldn't ask. Please, m'love."

Onya began crying against the man's muscular chest, though she didn't honestly know why. Her history with Aliza was an odd one: kidnapped by, then released by the Darkness officer, Onya was also certain beyond doubt that the woman had also been Baldr's lover during her safe keeping in Vint. Onya didn't know how to think of Aliza. All she knew was that after all this time, she'd been entirely unable to get out of her head the sight of seeing a sword emerge from her savior's chest that night in Vint. It had been and remained to this day the most horrific thing she'd ever witnessed.
 
Baldr awoke with Onya playing with his member and it standing up tall and proud. He was just about to grab her and resume the antics of th night before when she scooted away from him and informed him in no uncertain terms that they would not be doing so. He growled at her and filed that away. He would pay her back for that some day, maybe the next time she drank a bit too much. Still that was also information that was worth knowing as well.

As she got dressed in her long robe he looked at her and he hardly shrunk. God she was beautiful even though she had just woken up. However as she began to talk his erection began to ease, especially at her news.

It seemed her departure the previous night had been so she could meet with the Lady who had led the troops at Vint Captain Ellanora. He respected the woman and under other circumstances would have been proud to have met her. Still such was a warriors life and he held no grudges. It seemed she had news of Aliza and he had sat up. Not only did he want to know what had happened to her but he knew Onya did as well.

She had been a valued member of his forces and at the same time she had become his lover, yet they both knew it would end as soon as Onya was saved. She had died saving the her despite a prophecy telling her not to go. Baldr was determined to give her a burial fit for a warrior and had been ashamed at not being able to retrieve her.

"Do not worry my love,I will meet with her and we will bring her home so we may mourn properly and she may be honored as the true warrior she was."

Baldr arose and dressed then partook of the food that had been brought in. Then giving his beloved a hug and kiss he asked which rooms she had been set up in and strode forth to speak with her.
 
As the future bride of the man whose forces had so overwhelming defeated her slipped into a warm tub of water tended to by three servants, Ellanora -- still wearing the full uniform in which she'd arrived half a day earlier --knelt in the back corner of the less than luxurious quarters she'd been put up in for the evening. Centuries earlier, the predecessors to what would become the Darkness had perfected a way to kneel for extended periods of time without allowing the body to stiffen or suffer numbness, as well as allowing the person enter REM sleep just enough to allow the brain to rejuvenate without leaving the body it served without some awareness of its surroundings.

After meeting with Onya, she had knelt there through the night in silence. She rose only once, spooking the two Northern Guards watching her, to move to piss pot to relieve herself without concern of the male attention. She had had a bit of fun with the two guards once in the night, though. One had drifted off, leaning against the wall near the door: while the attention of the other had shifted to some female voices out side the window somewhere below the window. Ellanora silently rolled from her kneeling position right into a sitting position on the nearby bed without his noticing, and when he did turn to see her gone, he not only freaked out -- causing his partner to also come unglued for a moment -- but afterward the guard asked the supervising Karant, located in a Guard Room down the hall, if he could bind the woman instead of simply giving her free roam.

Now, though, at the sound of what could only be Lord Baldr's steps coming down the passage, Ellanora stood slowly -- smirking at the two replacement guards who'd been warned about her -- and awaited the arrival of her new master. When he arrived, the Karant who had led the Chieftain and four more Horse Warriors into the room told Baldr, "She was carrying many hidden weapons, but she is disarmed and not a threat now, m'lord."

Ellanora's smile widened at Baldr's reaction. He obviously knew better. She reached slowly one hand to the inside sleeve of her other arm, removed a razor, and dropped it to the wooden floor; then repeated the same move to the other arm. All of the guards leveled their weapons toward her as she did, her gaze never leaving Baldr's. She lifted one foot from the floor, jerked at the sole of her boot, and a little but solidly made vial of liquid fell to bounce and roll. She didn't have to tell Baldr it was poison. He knew.

"May I speak with you in private, m'lord?" she asked, nodding respectfully before adding with a great deal of meaning between the two of them, "About Aliza ... of the Clan Baldr."

The reaction of the men after Baldr excused them varied, from fear for their Lord to shock at the ease with which he sent them away. The Karant practically begged to remain, though in whispwr, hoping to hide his concern from Ellanora. And through it all, Baldr showed no worry. Ellanora wondered whether his confidence came from his faith in his ability to easily defend himself against one lone female; or from his certainty that she would not dishonor her Darkness name by attempting to assassinate him.

Once they were alone, Ellanora said with a matter of fact tone, "I am unable to return to her clan the body of Aliza of Virta ... for there is no body to retrurn, m'lord."

She gave Baldr a moment to wonder what had happened to his former lover's corpse before saying, "Aliza lives, m'lord."
 
Baldr had walked into the room with Ellanora and had seen the looks on the guards faces. He had then heard the assurances of one of his newer Karants and it was all he could do to keep the smile off his face. Disarming a Darkness warrior was like trying to disarm a snake. It was not possible. A fact she proved when she easily produced two razors and a hidden vial of poison. He could not hide a smirk and waved everyone away.

When she requested to speak with him alone there was an uproar but he glared them down and then nodded sending them all from the room. He doubted even now if she was fully disarmed but it did not matter. If she was here to kill him she would not do it in this manner.

When she told him about Aliza he reached forward and grabbed her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes. "Do not toy with me about this. That woman means a lot to both me and my queen. If this proves to be a falsehood you will pray to be dead." Letting her go he drew in a calming breath and then began again. "Tell me everything."
 
Ellanora had expected to be picking herself up off the floor after sharing the news about Aliza. When he released her and demanded more, she told him, "She was found during the search for Lady Onya. She was seriously injured but alive. The Guardsman whose sword was found still in her was dead beside her ... throat cut by a razor also laying near Aliza. Even dying, she was more dangerous than most of the people I've even known."

She smiled a bit, secretly proud of the former Darkness assassin. She continued, "A Darkness Officer knew her importance and had her taken to a Surgeon. The sword penetrated her fully from back to front but missed vital organs and major arteries. She survived. She survives."

Ellanora waited for Baldr to either ask questions or tell her to continue. She knew what he truly wanted to know. "When the High Priestess left Vint for Suva, she took Aliza with her. A bird arrived at Vint two days ago ... the reason for my coming here to see you, m'lord."

She reached up into her hair, fishing about until her fingers exited holding a small piece of paper. She offered it out to Baldr, then -- as he looked at it -- she asked, "I was told you can read Southern ... and that you would understand both the words ... and the meaning."

The note had been written by Aliza, but Baldr's former lover must have been concerned that he might not recognize her hand writing from the few times she'd actually put ink to paper while with the Clan. So, to ensure that he knew it was from her, the note began with a recollection of something he had said to her after one of their nights of extreme pleasure, something only he would know.

"I have been directed to tell you that Aliza's health is improving," Ellanora stated in an official tone, continuing, "and that -- with some possible loss of movement in her left arm -- she is expected to eventually make a satisfactory recovery."

By now Ellanora knew that Baldr's mind was fully on the implications of Aliza's note. Knowing that his mind would be running wild with thoughts she continued, "She will be neither harmed nor tried as a traitor to the Order and Territory of Vint ... which would, of course, result in her execution..."

She paused until she caught his gaze, finishing, "...so long as the forces of Clan Baldr and its allies ... including the forces of Lord Corol of Ras Rufna evacuate all lands traditionally part of the Territory of Vint that are nearer to the City of Vint than to the City of Virta. If you, Lord Baldr, agree to honor these terms, the High Priestess will cede to the control of Clan Baldr the lands traditionally part of the City of Virta and further north, all the way to and including the Barony of Platt."

She hesitated a moment before adding, "And ... she will give her blessing to your union with Lady Onya. In the eyes of the Order of Vint ... Lady Onya will be Queen of the Known World."

Ending with the comment about his future wife and queen must have only added to the confusion running through his head, Ellanora thought ... considering that the note he was holding informed him -- in Aliza's handwriting -- that she was, in fact, carrying his child...


(OOC for the readers of our thread: I know what you're thinking, it wasn't long ago enough for Aliza to know without doubt that she's pregnant ... but just go with it. She knows.)
 
"A Darkness Officer knew her importance and had her taken to a Surgeon. The sword penetrated her fully from back to front but missed vital organs and major arteries. She survived. She survives."

Baldr nodded and smiled. That was the Aliza he knew and loved. Yes he could freely admit he loved the woman and was shocked that these Southerners limited themselves to one woman. He could not understand the concept himself even though his own father had done the same. Well he had only married one woman. Many women had shared his bed with his wife or without. She had finally accepted that there was just some things she could not do for him and that he needed.

Still he needed to know more about her injuries, and about her whereabouts but he knew the woman would not be here without this information. "Thank you for telling me this, but that can not be the extent of your knowledge. Continue with your story."

"When the High Priestess left Vint for Suva, she took Aliza with her. A bird arrived at Vint two days ago ... the reason for my coming here to see you, m'lord."

She reached up into her hair, fishing about until her fingers exited holding a small piece of paper. She offered it out to Baldr, then -- as he looked at it -- she asked, "I was told you can read Southern ... and that you would understand both the words ... and the meaning."

Baldr read the note and saw that Aliza had made sure he knew it was from her and in such a way that he would know it had not been coerced in any way. it had both shocking and good news. He smiled at it and knew he had to get her back immediately.

"I have been directed to tell you that Aliza's health is improving," Ellanora stated in an official tone, continuing, "and that -- with some possible loss of movement in her left arm -- she is expected to eventually make a satisfactory recovery."

He frowned at that. She would not be happy at that loss of movement. She prided herself on her ability as a warrior and any physical ailment was going to hit her hard. Still depending on the injury his medicine men and women might be able to fix it. He had noticed since coming south they knew techniques that had been lost to these people. Maybe they could make her whole again or at least better.

"She will be neither harmed nor tried as a traitor to the Order and Territory of Vint ... which would, of course, result in her execution..."

He knew full well the Priestess would not risk that. he would launch a full scale invasion to rescue her and finish what he started and it would be the Priestess that would be dying by his hands.

She paused until she caught his gaze, finishing, "...so long as the forces of Clan Baldr and its allies ... including the forces of Lord Corol of Ras Rufna evacuate all lands traditionally part of the Territory of Vint that are nearer to the City of Vint than to the City of Virta. If you, Lord Baldr, agree to honor these terms, the High Priestess will cede to the control of Clan Baldr the lands traditionally part of the City of Virta and further north, all the way to and including the Barony of Platt."

She hesitated a moment before adding, "And ... she will give her blessing to your union with Lady Onya. In the eyes of the Order of Vint ... Lady Onya will be Queen of the Known World."

Baldr laughed long and hard. "I am afraid your Priestess is not bargaining from a position of power. Already the people of Vint are unhappy with her, even more so than with me. She abandoned them in their hour of need and ran back to her temple in which she cowers. They already look not to her, but the High priest here in Virta for guidance and he will bless mine and Onya's wedding."

He let that sink in before he continued. "Gathered here are nobles from most of the Northern parts of the Southern Kingdom, all ready to swear allegiance to the Queen and once messengers are sent out that she has returned, how many of the Southern Lords will do the same especially when it is known that the Order of Vint has acknowledged her?"

He wanted to glare at the woman but he knew it was not her fault. She was but following orders and he was impressed with her. She was a capable soildier and a loyal one. "You are welcome to stay for the wedding, in fact I would like you to stay and witness it, but when you return to your mistress I have a warning for her. She best not try to use Aliza as a bargaining chip and her best bet would be to return her unharmed to me immediately. I will not be giving in to her demands and soon Virta will be under our rule as will the whole of the known world as is the right of my Queen. She will either acknowledge that right, which is hers by birth which she herself knows, or she will be destroyed as anyone who opposes us will be."

His voice had been level and composed but more threatening because of it. What he was saying was a certainty in his eyes. Already he could see them ruling the entire known world, it was but a matter of time.
 
"I am afraid your Priestess is not bargaining from a position of power..."
...Baldr began responding.

Ellanora listened to the man, knowing that he believed he had the upper hand in the conflict between his Clan and allies and the High Priestess and her own supporters. And, the Darkness Officer thought, he very well might. But at the same time, she knew that the leader of the Order of Vint would never -- could never -- simply surrender to the invaders. The High Priestess would gather more support, from all about the Known World, until finally she had the forces necessary to push the Northmen all the way back to the Unnamed Untamed.

At least, that was her hope.

Ellanora only knew that who ever eventually won, thousands -- even tens of thousands -- of soldiers and civilians both would die before one side or the other finally surrendered.

Baldr mentioned the imminent blessing from the High Priest, asking about the nobility...
"...how many of the Southern Lords will do the same especially when it is known that the Order of Vint has acknowledged her?"

"That the High Priest of Virta has acknowledged her, m'lord," Ellanora reminded Baldr. "A Priest that you elevated to a false position of authority." She gave him a respectful nod as she continued, "Please, Lord Baldr ... with all due respect to your position and power ... for every Nobleman who declares fealty to the Clan Baldr ... to Queen Onya ... there will be two who come to the aid of the High Priestess. They will not honor the High Priest's acknowledgment of Lady Onya's titles."

Ellanora could have continued her attempt to convince Baldr that he was making a mistake, at least in her and the High Priestess's minds. But it would likely have been wasted words.

"You are welcome to stay for the wedding..."
...he went on, ignoring Ellanora's threats.

She listened to Baldr's invitation, as well as his own threat about using Aliza as a bargaining chip. When he finished, Ellanora again nodded respectfully before telling him, "Again, with all due respect, m'lord ... I think it would be more appropriate for me to leave for Vint now. I will take your message to the Order and have it sent immediately to the High Priestess. If you would permit, I will continue to function as an emissary between Vint and Virta ... between the High Priestess and Lady Onya. And if you prefer, I will keep the news concerning Aliza between the two of us, m'lord."
 
Baldr thought about detaining the woman and maybe holding her as the High Priestess did Aliza, but he knew that would be futile. One, he doubted that woman cared whether Ellanora lived or died. She would probably only care about the inconvenience it cost her that she might have to send another emissary.

Two was the fact that Ellanora was not a big enough figure to trade back for Aliza. Oh she was a very capable soldier and a commander, but in the grand scheme of things she was not worth as much as a woman who was loved by both the King and Queen of the Known World and who was carrying Baldr's child.

"Then you may return to Vint, but remember what I have said. I expect word that Aliza is on her way back to us shortly Ellanora. You may not believe this but personally I would prefer not to fight. I do not like the way you Southerners conduct war, it is too bloody and wasteful. You call us Barbarians yet I was able to conquer the whole of the lands you call the Unnamed, Untamed and yet most of the population is still alive as are the fighting men." He stared at her and then shook his head.

"If I have to go to war and fight the way you in the South do, thousands will die, and then who will we rule, for make no mistake I do not loose. I united the North when they said it could not be done. I took both Virta and Vint when they said that was impossible and that was with just my men." Looking at her grimly he spoke softly but with great menace.

"Bring Aliza back home Ellanora. Convince your High Priestess it is in her best interest to do so. She is of my Clan and we never abandon our own. As a Darkness officer I think you understand that."

He stood watching her for several more seconds to make sure she had received the message then he waved her off. "A pity you will not stay, but go if you must, but think on my words. I look forward to your reply. Make it swift."

With that Baldr walked off and made his way back towards his rooms. The only decision now was whether or not to tell Onya about Aliza.
 
By the time Baldr had finished with Ellanora, Onya was deep into the preparations for her wedding. Gree was there, of course, despite her new station. The slave had become a Servant, then a Freeman, then a Citizen, with each new station offering greater freedoms and independence. And soon, when she married Yol -- himself now a Count -- Gree would become a Noble, a Lady of standing as Onya was now.

Stella was there as well, which was a great relief to Onya. The Baroness of Platt had lived at Court her entire life, not just the first handful of years as Onya had before being taken hostage, then enslaved. Stella stepped in and, essentially, ran the entire operation, directing servants and seamstesses and caterers and more.

Onya was kept busy, body and mind, all the way to sundown, at which point she was ready to collapse from exhaustion, again both of body and mind.

"M'lady, Lord Baldr wishes to speak with you," Stella said after all but she had departed. Onya, dressed in elegant undergarments looked about for her dress and someone to help her into it, causing Stella to say with humor, "With respect, I'm sure he's seen you in less, m'lady."

They laughed together a moment, then Stella curtseyed at the door to her future King and said, "She is ready for you, m'lord."

Onya stood un the middle of the room, tall and straight. Her bosom thrusted out proudly, her hour glass figure and wide hips highlighted by the tight fitting garment. After giving Baldr a moment to appreciate her, she quickly asked, "Aliza...?"
 
Baldr had thought long and hard on what to say to Onya about Aliza, but on entering the room those thoughts flew from his head and instead he just got long and hard himself. He stood looking at her, soaking in her beauty and then finally shook himself and smiled sheepishly.

"Forgive me my dear. Your beauty stunned me for a moment. I just hope it does not do so tomorrow. I would hate to miss my cues and not end up marrying you."

He smiled at he and then it fled from his face as he remembered why he was here. "I have some good news and some bad news and I think you should sit down my love," he said guiding her to the bed. "The good news is that despite all odds Aliza is alive and well. It seems getting run through by a sword is not enough to kill our favorite warrior," he smiled.

He let that news sink in before he hit her with the bad news. "I am afraid though that the High Priestess is demanding that we retreat from the lands surrounding Vint and send Corol home before she will release her. If we do so however she has promised to recognize our marriage and your claim to the throne."

He sighed. "I may have been a little rash. I sent Ellanora away with a message telling the High Priestess that if she harms one hair on Aliza's head she will not be safe anywhere in this world. I also demanded her return immediately." He looked at her and then down at the ground. "Perhaps I should have agreed to her demands. After all once they had declared you Queen they would be officially under your rule anyway would they not," he asked her. "Perhaps I should stop Ellanora from leaving and tell her I have changed my mind."
 
"...Aliza is alive and well..."

Onya's heart skipped a beat at the news. The image of her captor and savior being skewered hadn't left her eyes, despite all the other occurrences of the past days. As if reading her mind, Baldr continued...
"...It seems getting run through by a sword is not enough to kill our favorite warrior."

She sunk into Baldr's arms as he continued onward, telling her of the High Priestess's demands concerning Vint and, particularly, Onya's claim to the throne of the Known World.

"I may have been a little rash..."
...he continued, causing Onya to kiss him on the cheek before standing and pacing slowly across the floor as she considered his words.

"Perhaps I should have agreed to her demands. After all once they had declared you Queen they would be officially under your rule anyway would they not?"
"

Baldr had a good point: all souls everywhere would become Onya's subjects once she was crowned. But, would they all follow her? Really? The title of Queen of the Known World sounded all encompassing, but -- despite her age and lack of adult experience in Southern Courts, Onya wasn't a naïve fool. She knew that having the High Priestess declare her the legitimate ruler of the world wasn't going to suddenly cause each and every man and woman to bow at her feet. Was the Frenkish Emperor going to bow in respect and pay homage to the little slave girl from the Unnamed Untamed? Unlikely. What about the former Senators of the Yallan Senate, many of whom -- particularly in the Deep South -- had declared themselves Barons, Princes, and Kings? Again, unlikely.

However, the High Priestess's declaration would certainly go a long way to rein in those Southern leaders who typically followed the word of the Order's supreme leader. And it was those leaders that Onya knew she would need on her side to then rein in such people as the Emperor and Yallan royalty.

"Perhaps I should stop Ellanora from leaving and tell her I have changed my mind."

"Yes," Onya said without hesitation, even before she herself had realized she was speaking. She saw Baldr's reaction and moved back to stand just before him at his seat on the bed's edge, saying quickly, "I mean--"

She hesitated as she looked down into the big man's eyes, the roundness of her bosom was just inches from the mouth that had so often spent such quality time pleasuring it. She said in a tone that was one part diplomatic, one part innocent justification, and one part open flirtation, "The High Priest can declare me legitimate. And each time you conquer a city, the population will fall in line behind me ... their legitimate Queen. But ... how many cities can you conquer for me before the last fierce Northern Horseman is you, m'love?"
 
Last edited:
(OOC: For those following our story, I accidentally post my previous reply before it was ready. I deleted the last paragraphs that began with She leaned to kiss him... and replaced it with the following. If you don't recall this line about kissing, then you have come to our story after the correction and this is all unnecessary jabber to you. :))

"I think we should take the High Priestess's offer," Onya said with a feigned tone of confidence. "With some alterations ... and conditions."

She turned from Baldr, beginning to again pace the floor slowly. Onya had on occasion shown such strength and determination since coming South. Yet here, with only her lover and future king, she felt again like a child ... a child asking for more porridge for her grumbling tummy or, now with a better standing in the world, more soft pillows for her massive bed. She peeked at Baldr often as she talked, trying to gauge his reactions: she knew what she wanted but she didn't know how to ask for it, not from him.

"We will maintain a presence in Vint," she began with a firm voice. We will be allowed an Embassy ... with troops for the Ambassador's protection ... and free travel." She thought for a moment, adding, "Corol will be allowed the same privilege." More thought. The Southern Fishing docks ... we will be allowed to build our own docks there ... for our own ships, merchant and military."

So far, Onya hadn't mentioned Aliza. This wasn't an accidental omission. Onya's mind had been filled with thoughts about the woman who was former Darkness, former Clan, and she was certain former lover to her current lover. There was something wrong ... something unspoken about the High Priestess's care for Aliza. Oh, Onya didn't know everything there was to know about the Darkness and the organization's place within the Order of Vint. But one thing Onya was certain of was that if Aliza had indeed been captured, Ellanora -- with the High Priestess standing right at her side -- would have taken Aliza to the gallows and hung her by the neck ... and the body would still be hanging there, rotting, being eaten upon by the carrion and insect life until there was nothing left but a skeleton to remind the populace of what betrayal looked like.

"Aliza should continue to be cared for," she finally said about the woman who had both captured and freed her." She turned and met Baldr's eyes as she continued, "M'lord, I saw the sword enter ... and exit her body." Despite her mixed emotions about Aliza, Onya's eyes glazed over again as she continued, "She needs rest. She should not be moved so soon. They claim she is well and good ... but ... I do not think she should travel so soon."

She returned to stand over Baldr, her bosom again in his face as she smiled to him, leaned to kiss him, then finished, "She will be safe in the High Priestess's hands. Aliza will not be harmed. Trust me, m'love."

She leaned to kiss him again, then again more passionately as she reached a hand down between his thighs to search for and find her treasure. As she fondled him toward stiffness, she said, "Make love to me, m'lord."

She rose to height again, then turned her back to him to show him the criss crossed strings holding herself together...
 
Baldyr nodded as Onya talked. He was glad he had a woman like her. She was the cool to his fire. They would be a good match, she to rule with wisdom and he to rule with passion when required. Oh that was not to say that he was not wise and she not passionate but his normal response when confronted with a situation was to go straight ahead at it. It was the clan way. He had come to appreciate Onya's way of thinking however and was glad that he had her beside him.

Listening to her reasoning and the conditions she wanted to impose on the High priestess he smiled. It was much better than the deal he had proposed and one he was sure she would go for, after all she would be the Queen so how could she deny her. he was a little disappointed that she was not requesting that Aliza be returned straight away, but perhaps it would be for the best. Still he would want her back within a few months. He would have to tell Onya about her condition as well.

There was no way he would keep it from her and he would not have her find it out from anyone else. As she invited him to make love to her he stood up and kissed her. "One moment my love." He walked to the outer door and spoke to the guard telling him to send several guards to detain the lady Ellanora, telling her that Baldr had changed his mind and that both he and Onya would speak to her after the wedding.

He returned to Onya and embraced her then kissed her. As he started to untie her dress he smiled. "Now let me see if I can fulfill the wishes of my queen," he said as he bent down and started to suckle on her nipple.

Two hours later, dressed in loose fitting garments they sat at the small table in their room and enjoyed a small supper together. Baldr smiled at her and waited till the end of the meal before he brought up the subject of Aliza. "I know you have your suspicions my dear and so I will tell you. Yes she did become my lover while we were searching for you. If you were to ask me do I still love her I would tell you yes. As much as you, no. You are the love of my life and complete me, but I do love her. I do not know if you can understand that. You have grown up in our culture but maybe you have to be a part of it to truly understand it." He shook his head and then looked at her again. "There is one more thing. There was a note that Ellanora gave me that was supposed to have been from Aliza. I think it is the real thing. In it she claims she is with child."

He looked at Onya and waited for her response.
 
Onya studied Baldr with a steady gaze and a slight smile as they ate from a wide and varied assortment of foods. There were, of course, the usual Southern treats: freshly cooked meats, thick soups, six different root crops each of which had its own unique flavor; four alcoholic beverages from ales to wines to a strong liqueur with a bright color that made Onya's nose wrinkle when she sipped at it; a pitcher of water from the spring that rose in the middle of the Castle; a huge bowl of fruits and vegetables -- some dried, some skinned, some sliced, some pickled -- from areas all about the coast line of the Inner Sea; and more.

But the greatest treat of all for Onya was the platter of Northern food. A trader who often traveled between Virta and the Unnamed Untamed had come to the castle the day before, wishing to pay homage to Onya and Baldr. Onya had had the platter secretly prepared for Baldr, including dried elk and caribou from the steppe, smoked fish from Frost Bay, and Ice Root, which to Onya's knowledge was the only edible root plant capable of surviving in the harsh lands west of Sipriot, where her former Chieftain had taken her once on a trade mission. (Onya had found herself amazed with the lengthy and labor intensive process involved in making the sweet root edible; while Borona himself had found himself amazed with the two youngest daughters of the local Chieftain, two girls for whom Onya's former master would trade 300 horses.)

The conversation over dinner covered a great many topics, but -- as she'd expected and actually hoped -- it eventually turned to Baldr, Aliza, and the relationship that Onya had suspected had once existed between the two of them. About Aliza, Baldr said...
"...yes she did become my lover while we were searching for you.

The confession didn't hit Onya as hard as she'd expected, likely because she'd reached a point at which she was certain the two had been spending time together naked; and because she'd told herself that it was Baldr's right as a Northern Chieftain to have more than one lover and, as an extension, more than one wife. The latter was off the table, of course. Onya had convinced Baldr early in their pre-coital relationship that the Southern Lords would not accept her as their Queen if she was just one of the Chieftain's many wives. But Onya had reluctantly accepted that if the Horse Warrior decided to take additional lovers that she would not raise a ruckus.

Onya smiled as Baldr swore his greater love for her, his different love for her, as should be. She understood what he was telling her and appreciated it, which was even more important. He made an obvious observation...
"You have grown up in our culture but maybe you have to be a part of it to truly understand it."

It was true. Onya's adult years had been spent in the Unnamed Untamed, where a Chieftain was expected to take more than one wife, even having children by more than one of them. And that should have prepared her for what he told her next about Aliza...

"...she claims she is with child."

Onya's heart skipped a beat, and she literally felt the blood rush from her face. She tried to maintain her gaze on Baldr but found herself needing to look away. Aliza was with child...? Aliza was carrying a child ... Baldr's child? What did this mean? She stood, taking her flagon of ale with her and turned to look into the roaring flames of the fire place as she contemplated the implications. Her mind ran rampant with thoughts about lust, love, lineage, inheritances, and more.

Finally, without turning to see Baldr's face, she asked over her shoulder, "Will this child..." She drew a sudden breath, realizing how deeply this revelation was affecting her. She turned to look at him, then asked, "Will you claim this child? Will he ... it ... come to live in our home?"

She tried to conceal the emotion behind the questions, but failed. She was concerned about what this illegitimate child would mean in the House of...

The House of what?

Baldr was of the Clan Baldr, and in Southern eyes his titles, possession, and power of the House of Baldr. But Onya was of the House of Meretheni, and the Southern Lords most likely willing to pay homage to her would do so only if she, her titles, her possessions, and her power were of the House of Meretheni. And Onya's power was the Clan Baldr ... her power -- her might came from the House of Baldr.

It had been a constant thought in Onya's mind, though she hadn't had a serious discussion about it with Baldr that hadn't ended with the two of them wrestling in bed naked making challenges such as First to make the other happy claims title to all. And now, added to the mix, was this child growing inside Aliza.

"What does this mean...?" Onya asked, fighting hard to keep her eyes from glistening over. "What does this mean ... to us?"
 
Back
Top