The Official Authors' Hangout Valentine's Day 2019 Support Thread

You can laugh EB. I'm up to 35,000 words. The end of my Shanghai story is done, the start is done, the rest is outlined and the middle needs all the sex scenes. OMG :eek:
See, why waste energy tippy tappy typing a response? Chloe + 3500 words does not ever equal 1/3 of anything. You on drugs, girl?

Slammed up against a wall! Block, block, block all three stories.

Ah well, I have time. I keep telling myself. I hope I can finish at least one of them.:(

See, why waste energy tippy tappy typing a response? Chloe + 3500 words does not ever equal 1/3 of anything. You on drugs, girl?

41k words in, and there's a 10k lead-in and a 6,500 word conclusion and OMG there's a few sex scenes to write yet. So much for a 10k quickie. I gotta cut back on the Red Bull in the coffee again. And the ending.... (sobs). I've read about 10 books on Shanghai in the last 2 weeks.... and learnt some fascinating things.

Useless but interesting piece of information #1 - Ibsen's "A Doll's House" was really popular in China before WW2. Jiang Qing (Mao's 4th wife / the Gang of Four one) played Nora in a production of it in Shanghai in the late 1930's.

Useless but interesting piece of information #2 - the tap water in Shanghai smelt so bad wealthy Europeans used to send their laundry by ship to Kobe.

Useless but interesting piece of information #3 - And as for Han Suyin (the author of "A Many-Splendoured Thing", I always thought she was Chinese but she was actually half and half - her Dad was Chinese and her Mom was Belgian.

Ah well, I have time. I keep telling myself. I hope I can finish at least one of them.:(

That's what I thought when I was part way in and then this idea popped up into my head and 10k words later I slowed down and went whoooooo ....

It's inspiring to see the dedication and thought all of you bring to this contest. I'm REALLY starting to feel like an underachiever here!
My contest entry is complete and I'm back to "No Men to Love." Which is apparently going to be a novel whether I like it or not. These fictional characters are so PUSHY!

Try writing the ending then work backwards.

I generally write things out of order, it is how I keep the mind in the fictional world and the fingers working on the keys.

Right now, I don't see mine happening for the VDay story. I'll try, but if it doesn't make it then it's because I won't rush a story that needs more time. If it doesn't happen then it'll also be the first VDay contest I've missed.

Has anyone done an EH VDay story of a comely ghoul who literally steals hearts, ripping them from their lovers' ribcages?

I like this idea. Then you know where you are going, and as you write your story you can discipline yourself to make sure every word you write is helping you get to your wonderful ending.

I do this for all my stories. I always write the ending before I'm more than a few pages into the story.

I like this idea. Then you know where you are going, and as you write your story you can discipline yourself to make sure every word you write is helping you get to your wonderful ending.

I do this for all my stories. I always write the ending before I'm more than a few pages into the story.

I usually do that now, I right the end first, then the beginning, then outline the middle and fill in the blanks, editing the beginning and the end as I to match any adjustments to the story as I write. I find it gives me a target to aim for as I write - I know where I'm trying to get to, but I can always change it en route if I need to.

I generally write things out of order, it is how I keep the mind in the fictional world and the fingers working on the keys.

I write in order, but, often, having the ending I want in mind propels me to get a draft of the rest of it done so I can get the ending written. I usually expand in review, though, so I don't bother to do a lot of polishing the first time through.

I write in order, but, often, having the ending I want in mind propels me to get a draft of the rest of it done so I can get the ending written. I usually expand in review, though, so I don't bother to do a lot of polishing the first time through.

I think this is what I do. If I don't know the ending, then I won't write the story, but the details of how a story ends grow in depth and complexity as I write forward through the story. Normally, while a short synopsis of the ending might be the same as when I started, the layers of complexity leading to the ending are often things I didn't anticipate at the outset.

The ending I wrote to start wouldn't be the ending I wanted when I got there.

Last edited:
I think this is what I do. If I don't know the ending, then I won't write the story, but the details of how a story ends grow in depth and complexity as I write forward through the story. Normally, while a short synopsis of the ending might be the same as when I started, the layers of complexity leading to the ending are often things I didn't anticipate at the outset.

The ending I wrote to start wouldn't be the ending I wanted when I got there.

This.

Same for me. Some stories go straight through, others jump around.

The trick now is to visualize some VDay endings, then track how they got there. Or concoct ANY endings, then give their setups and plots appropriate VDay turns and twists.

* The naked couple playing four-handed harpsichord: what VDay game turn brought them there? (It began so innocently.)
* The cheerleader pinning lipstick-kissed jockstraps to the dorm door as trophies: how many teams were at that VDay party?
* Mom nicely cowgirling on sonny's cock: what VDay cards did they exchange, and where are dad and sis? (Cue the cliffhanger.)
* The ghoul tying another shrunken human heart to her VDay tree... well, that can end many episodes. (They converse, too.)

I'll post those ideas on my greaseboard and see if they animate in time for the contest. Or y'all can run with them.
_____

PS: I just found this (previously unknown to me):
Valentine's Day is the day that St. Valentine was beaten with clubs and tortured to death for performing secret marriages against the Emperor's wishes. The Emperor Claudius II banned all marriages because soldiers didn't want to leave their families to fight in wars.​
So I guess males should stay single and beat off on VDay. But then the florist, candy, and card industries would collapse! Oh, the humanity...

Last edited:

Only one problem, I seem to have lost the end of my first one. The characters just don't seem into doing what I want them too. They keep going off on tangents and their thinking becomes muddled and foolish.

My other two lay in anguish. I know where they are going and the characters seem willing, but the words just don't seem to come out of my fingers through the keyboard and into Word.

It's only the 9th, so I might have time for the other two. Maybe. One can only hope.

Done!

Bring on the hearts and flowers and unicorn farts! V-day is right around the corner.

My submission will even have a bestiality reference, for that oh-so-elusive “edgy” crowd. Question: how’s the readership in Toys/Masturbation? It’s not my bailiwick.

Done!

Bring on the hearts and flowers and unicorn farts! V-day is right around the corner.

My submission will even have a bestiality reference, for that oh-so-elusive “edgy” crowd. Question: how’s the readership in Toys/Masturbation? It’s not my bailiwick.

Pretty much self satisfied. :D Sorry, I could not resist..

I've posted a story or three there and it's a pretty relaxed crowd. Fair numbers and good votes.

Only one problem, I seem to have lost the end of my first one. The characters just don't seem into doing what I want them too. They keep going off on tangents and their thinking becomes muddled and foolish.

My other two lay in anguish. I know where they are going and the characters seem willing, but the words just don't seem to come out of my fingers through the keyboard and into Word.

It's only the 9th, so I might have time for the other two. Maybe. One can only hope.

I too am in a funk, hopefully it will pass!

Sometimes I just get an image in my head involving the two characters, not necessarily the end, so I write that. It can make it rather difficult to go back and piece things in but sometimes that’s the fun part! Often when I skip over dull bits (I call these “Doctor episodes”...if you’ve seen Star Trek Voyager you’ll know what I mean) then when they’re the only part left and I have to write them, neat things can happen.

Example: my VDay story spans Wed night to Sun night. The parts I have left to write are Fri afternoon and Sun morning. The rest is pretty much done.

I’m sure nonlinear writing isn’t for everyone but if you’re stuck, give it a try.

Is this where I whine again that I can't or won't actually write up any of the VDay ideas I've posted?

<whine>
It's a guilt thing. I'm guilty of not writing stuff I should and I won't let myself write other stuff till I do, but I'm blocked there so nothing happens. It's a sort of moral constipation. Where is the moral Ex-Lax when needed?
</whine>

I would be very angry at the voices in my head if I had any. They would tell me what and when to write.

I could go Ogg-ish and write each idea as a 50- to 150-word vignette. Slap a few of those into a story, 750 words minimum.. Repeat with the next few. Expect to receive 2.6 vote scores. Sure, I *say* votes don't matter to me. But I'm an unreliable narrator at best.

VDay obsession has not yet hit me. Do I need a magnet?

It’s okay not to be obsessed with Vday. It’s a made-up holiday.

Look at it this way: if Vday stories were easy to do, they wouldn’t need to make a contest to get us to write ‘em.

Welp,

It’s happened again. A demanding plot bunny has hopped out, not to be denied. This one’s going to involve the ACTUAL St Valentine. Like, Ancient Rome.

So I’m doing Chloe-level research now, which is fun even though it detracts from, y’know, actual work I should be doing...

Back