Encounter on the Southwest Chief (closed for wideeyedone)

Alexa nodded as he invited her to have a drink.

"A date sounds lovely." She rubbed her thumb on the back of his hand. They dashed down the steps of the train and onto the platform.

Alexa smiled as they stepped into the sun.

"So, my handsome stranger, where are you taking me?" Her voice was full of laughter.
 
Having never been in Albuquerque before Brian had no strategy other than to just run straight ahead off of the platform. That put them on Silver Avenue, which seemed to be in an up-and-coming downtown neighborhood. Mindful that 45 minutes was actually not much time to get somewhere, have a drink, and get back to the train, they walked as quickly as they could in the hot desert heat.

They didn't have to go far. Just two blocks from the adobe-themed Amtrak station they came to Monks Corner Taproom, a little urban brewpub that, astoundingly, was literally a commercial offshoot of a Benedictine Monastery located in the surrounding desert. True to its name the place featured beer brewed in a centuries-old tradition. They hurriedly ordered a draft each, intentionally choosing different kinds so that they could swap a bit and taste two different beers.

Somehow in the context of being in a bar Alexa looked even more appealing to Brian than she already had, if that was even possible. Paying even before they were half-way through their drinks so as to not be stalled later, sporting a big grin Brian leaned close to Alexa and said, "If I had just wandered in here off the street and saw you sitting here at the bar, you know what I would be thinking?" He laughed out loud and continued, "I bet you could guess."
 
Alexa sipped her beer. She smiled when he asked her what he would think if he saw her at a bar on her own.

"You might think that I was a girl waiting for a blind date. Sitting in a bar, waiting for some guy that wouldn't know that I like to read good books, and spend Sundays in bed. Some guy that wouldn't think it's cool that I checked in with my hotel, three times today. But I hope you would see me and think.... I have to kiss that girl. I have to kiss that girl and find out what she tastes like... and find out what sound she might make if you kissed her and tugged her hair and pushed her against a door or a wall, or the bar and kissed her some more."
 
Brian was almost sorry that he had made his quip. Earlier in the day he had hoped that they could hang out on the train, have a nice time at dinner, and keep their libidos in no more than middle gear. Alexa's response was threatening to push his back into overdrive.

Out of warm, loving memory for Grandpa Stan, Brian had studied up some on passenger train service in the U.S. and on the Southwest Chief in particular. But if someone had asked him if a person could hear the train's horn inside a building two blocks away, he would have said, "I don't know. Probably not". He was wrong. Both he and Alexa nearly jumped off their stools at the distinct sound of the Southwest's horn blaring through the city.

Brian grabbed Alexa's hand as they ran out of the Monk's Taproom. He was impressed immediately by how fast she could run; she was easily keeping up with him. Running through the front door of the station and out to the platform, they saw the conductor waiving his arms furiously. They practically leapt into the open door of Brian's sleeping car. The conductor laughed, "Don't worry; it's all for show. We blow the horn when there's 10 minutes left."

Out of breath they staggered to the lounge car - their original destination before Brain discovered the 45-minute stop and proposed a "date" - ordered a drink each, and collapsed into two adjacent chairs facing the windows and the outrageously beautiful desert scenery.
 
Alexa laughed as she slipped one of her feet out of her shoes.

"You should be very impressed that I ran like that in these heels." Alexa's hair was a little mussed and her cheeks were flushed, but she was smiling.

"That was really fun." She said laying her hand on his arm.
 
Brian joined in Alexa's laughter and laid his other hand over hers.

"I am impressed, but not just with your running ability. I am impressed with everything that I have learned about you. With or without your clothes on."
 
She lowered her eyes and felt herself blush even more. She was starting to feel a little self conscious as if she had overstepped with her salacious answer in the bar.

"I could use an iced tea...my mouth is a little dry."
 
Alexa's abrupt departure to get a drink made Brian worry that his quip about "with or without clothes" might have come off poorly. He meant it, of course, as a playful tease, but, he knew, sometimes those things backfire. He decided not to worry about it. Play the hand you're dealt.

While waiting for Alexa's return Brian noticed another passenger toting a laptop. That jarred his memory. He had almost forgotten that the Southwest Chief has Wifi, at least in the sleeper compartments. There is even log-in and password info in the room. He was struck by a sudden thought that caused him to laugh out loud.

When Alexa returned with her iced tea he playfully grabbed her hand. "Hey...I just realized. We could have a real "date" tonight. We have Wifi in our rooms and I brought my laptop along. So...we could have dinner in the dining car, then retire to one of our rooms and watch a movie, courtesy of Netflix. And, I still have lots of bourbon left; we could drink to our hearts' content."

Brian paused, not wanting to come off too much like a horny teenager, "So, Alexa, what do say? Want to be my date tonight?"
 
Alexa couldn't help but smile when he invited her to dinner and a movie. She smoothed her hair and tucked it behind her ear.

"I would love to be your date tonight." She took a few sips of tea. "As long as thee movie isn't too scary. I won't be able to sleep after."
 
Brian smiled at Alexa's comment. Little did she know that he never watched scary movies. He was probably more of wimp about that than she was. Not wanting to show his hand, however, he just said, "Don't worry. If the movie scares you I'll just hold you in my arms so that you will feel safe."
 
Alexa kissed him ever so softly, just brushing her lips against his.

"And if the movie doesn't scare me, will you still hold me in your arms?" She asked softly with just a hint of laughter in her voice.
 
And if the movie doesn't scare me, will you still hold me in your arms?

Brian had never been much for public display of affection, but he couldn't resist following up Alexa's soft kiss and provocative tease. He returned her kiss, ever so softly and unobtrusively, but being careful to end up with his lips close enough to whisper in her ear.

"Oh, in any event I will definitely hold you. The only open question is: how and where will I hold you."
 
"I think we should watch the movie in my room. It will be a new locale for us." She whispered back against his cheek.

She laid her hand over his again and held it.

"Do you have a movie in mind? I have Netflix and Amazon." She offered a little laugh. "That may tell you more about me than you want to know."
 
I think we should watch the movie in my room. It will be a new locale for us.

Brian smiled at Alexa's not-so-subtle reference to the previous evening's activities.

He squeezed her hand that was laying on top of his. "OK. Your room it is. As for the movie, gosh, there are so many to choose from with both Neflix and Amazon. " He paused, a big grin crossing his face. "Of course, under the circumstances, I think an R-rating would be in order."

Jason started to laugh. "Oh, Jessica. How will we ever have the patience and self-restraint to get through dinner?"
 
Alexa smiled.

"R rated it is." She looked at him with a devilish grin. "What actresses would make your celebrity crush list? Maybe we can find a movie with one of them in it." She offered playfully.

"As for dinner, I can be a very patient girl."
 
Brian not only was enjoying their repartee, it was stoking his libido as well. She was teasing him - no, taunting him - and enjoying every moment.

Alexa's question about his "crush actress" may not have been an intentional challenge, but Brian realized that there was a potential pitfall for him. Naming a favorite, hot actress might open him up to a charge of not being very genuine in his apparent attraction for Alexa. A way out presented itself to him.

Taking her hand even more firmly than before, he leaned in and whispered in her ear, "My crush actress at the moment is anyone who reminds me of you."

Leaning back and speaking in a normal tone even though others might here, he continued, "So, I think we should both retire to our own rooms, freshen up, and claim the early dinner seating."
 
Alexa blushed when he said his crush would be an actress that looked like her. She nodded when he proposed that they freshen up. She kissed his cheek.

"Pick me up for dinner?" She asked, wanting the feel of their date night to continue. She headed back to her room. She took a few minutes primping but then opened her laptop.

She checked her sister's wedding website to see if there were any updates. Her sister was very wound up, she giggled as she read a few of the posts. Her sister was devastated that they were having to change the signature cocktails at the pre wedding party. She rolled her eyes.

She was even more grateful that she would have fun memories of Brian and hopes for the future to think about when she was embroiled in wedding hoopla.
 
Brian returned to his room, deciding to shower before their "dinner date". As he watched some scenery roll by he realized that the "distraction" of Alexa had resulted in a very different trip than he had imagined. He had planned to really get into being on the Amtrak, reliving the stories that he had heard from his beloved Grandpa Stan. He had planned to take note of all of the stops, see how closely the train met its schedule, and spend hours looking out the window at the great expanse of America that the Southwest Chief covered. Given the alternative that was Alexa, however, Brian was certainly not sorry that his original plan had failed.

One certainly did not "dress for dinner" on the Southwest Chief - maybe in Grandpa Stan's younger days - but certainly not now. He decided to just return to the clothes that he was wearing previously, knowing that he would want to change into something even more casual for their movie night.

Given that he still had nearly a half hour before dinner, Brian laid back in the seat and closed his eyes for some quick rest. One thought kept rolling through his mind: What movie would Alexa suggest? It would definitely be fun to see.
 
Alexa straightened up her sleeping car and tucked her luggage under the bed. She set up her laptop and arranged the pillows. She had asked the steward for a few extra pillows.

She chided herself to bring down her level of excitement, but she felt her heart fluttering.
 
Brian appeared at Alexa's door at the appointed time. Though casually dressed Alexa still looked looked red hot to him. He made no attempt to hide his head-to-toe perusal of her body. Not one for public displays of affection, he did not take her hand as they walked to the dining car, but he did lay his hand lightly on the small of her back as they walked.

As per the previous evening there was nothing fancy or particularly memorable about the dining car meal. Unlike Grandpa Stan's days on the railroad, this was only about one step up from airline food. But, no matter. Both Brian and Alexa knew that the "date" part of their evening was really watching the movie in her room, snuggled up around her laptop screen, anticipating the sexual encounter that would surely follow.

As they ate their desserts Brian slid his foot over so that he could lightly tease Alexa's leg. Grinning from ear-to-ear he said, "So, Alexa, what's next?" Trying not to laugh he continued, "I mean, what movie have you chosen."
 
Alexa found herself thinking about the way his hand had rested on the small of her back as they had walked to the dining car. She was licking the last of the chocolate off of her spoon when he rubbed his foot against her calf.

"I have my laptop set up, and I have a few movies in mind. I wasn't sure what you had seen, or what you might like." Alexa bit her lip. She was a little nervous that the movie choice might derail the evening if it wasn't the right one.
 
Brian could see that Alexa was a bit nervous. It didn't take a genius to guess that she was afraid that her movie choices might not suit him. He wanted to assure her that her choices would be fine. He decided to make a little game of it.

Laughing lightly he said, "Don't worry, Alexa. I'm pretty easy when it comes to movie choices. But, let's have some fun." He grabbed a paper napkin and a pen and slid it over to her. "Write down 3 - 5 movies that you have in mind, but don't tell me which ones are your favorites. I'll rank them 1 - 5 (5 being high) in terms of my preferences. You do the same either in your head or on another napkin. Then, we'll compare notes."

Brian laughed more loudly, "It's kind of like computerized match-making, except that neither of us can lose!
 
Alexa smiled and took a pen out of her bag. She wrote down three movies.

Love Actually

Feast of Love

and

Vertigo

She handed the napkin to Brian.
 
Brian didn't have to think long about what his #3 choice would be: Vertigo. True, it might well be the best movie on the list, certainly it was the most acclaimed. But, the Alfred Hitchcock classic was not the best stimulus for a romantic/sexual encounter. Ranking the other two choices was a bit tougher. He had seen Love Actually and really liked it, but not Feast of Love. The title, though, was certainly intriguing. He wasn't sure which of the two remaining choices was "hotter", but, clearly he and Alexa didn't need much to spur them on, so that might not be the deciding factor. He decided to take a chance.

Brian paused long enough to let the suspense build a little, then took the napkin that Alexa gave to him and scrawled in his rankings

Love Actually - 2

Feast of Love - 1

and

Vertigo - 3
 
Alexa smiled widely.

"Feast of Love, it is. I haven't seen it, but it is on my to see list." Alexa winced a little bit. "I keep a list of movies I want to see and books that I want to read. It is a bit nerdy, I know."

Alexa laid her hand over his. "Should we head to the theater?" Alexa's voice was light and flirtatious.
 
Back
Top