Bitching about Boston


Elsie's
Dunster
Kirkland
Lowell
Hasty Pudding
Porcellian
Commonwealth Avenue
Carpenter Center
Widener
Acorn Street
Memorial Drive
John Hancock
Coop
Lampoon
The T
Red Line
Rush tickets

 
6,601 people are demanding that Rush come to Boston. Me ? I am happy that The Cult still likes Boston. :heart:
 
August 8, 2013

All roads lead to Boston, MA- And all the roads are being sprayed with poison fog

West Nile raised to moderate risk in Cambridge, Newton, Watertown and Waltham

State health officials announced this afternoon that Cambridge, Newton, Watertown
and Waltham have been upgraded from low to moderate risk for West Nile Virus.

The communities join over a dozen other towns and cities, including Boston and Brookline, that are at moderate risk for West Nile.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control, one in five people who have contracted West Nile Virus develop a fever,
headache, body aches, joint pains, vomiting, diarrhea, or rash, but can usually be cured.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...moderate_risk_in_cambridge_newton_watert.html

Farms have been replaced by condo villages- Where do the birds live, now ?

Humming birds, purple martins, and barn swallows all eat mosquitoes. Bats and swifts, too.

Bucket of minnows ?
 
Speaking of roads, The new Tornado Alley East has seen fit to send floods. The roads are wet, and some selfish horse's backside helped a truck
to nearly dive off of the highway. I suppose that they forgot that behemoths cannot respond to getting cut off, very quickly, with wet roads.

BOSTON (WHDH) -- A truck carrying beer crashed into the guardrail on Interstate 93 northbound in Boston causing road closures.

The cab of the truck broke through the guardrail and is hanging over the Leverett Connector ramp. The cab and first few feet of the trailer is hanging off the elevated highway.

State police said a preliminary investigation shows the truck hit the guardrail and rode it on the high-speed side of the road and ended up partially over the rail, hanging in the air.

I-93 North is closed at exit 28. The Leverett Connector northbound from Storrow Drive and Leverett Circle is also closed.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/10011376866834/truck-breaks-through-guardrail-on-i-93/
 
What people bought on tax free weekend-

They look like mutated Volkswagens. The new Renaults are so tiny! Are there now equal numbers of Mini Coopers ?
 
for Atmas-

Aug 17, 2013

PINKHAM NOTCH, N.H. —
A Massachusetts man and a Rhode Island woman have won the top prizes in a bicycle race to the summit of Mount Washington,
the highest peak in the Northeast.

Twenty-seven-year-old Cameron Cogburn of Cambridge, Mass., and 42-year-old Silke Wunderwald, of Hopkinton, R.I.,
were the fastest man and woman in Saturday's Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb.

Cogburn reached the summit in 50 minutes, 48 seconds.

Wunderwald finished the race in one hour, 9 minutes and 56 seconds.

More than 600 bicyclists were expected to compete.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/sports/cog...limb/-/9848968/21510042/-/c9yf5g/-/index.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtwashington/9529630413/in/photostream/

http://www.mtwashingtonautoroad.com/
 
August 20, 2013

I-93 North tunnel to close overnight

Interstate 93 northbound will be closed in Boston from 11 p.m. Tuesday to 5 a.m. Wednesday, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation said.

MassDOT spokesman Michael Verseckes said Monday that the highway will be closed to accommodate regularly scheduled maintenance
between Exit 18 — Frontage Road to Massachusetts Avenue — and the Cross Street onramp, just past Salem Street in the North End.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ntenance/Ql3jxYpQ5Vc0ECDHknFpcN/comments.html

In other news-

At Comcast Center, John Mayer professes love for the MBTA

It’s not every day that a Grammy Award-winning music artist gives a shout out to the MBTA.

John Mayer — singer, songwriter, celebrity-beau-of-the-week — performed Saturday night at the Comcast Center in Mansfield.

In the middle of his set, Mayer reminisced about his days as a student at the Berklee College of Music and his time in Boston in the late 1990s:
His old dorm room at 150 Massachusetts Avenue, strolls along Newbury Street when he couldn’t afford any of the shops’ wares, and his time
taking the T.

The Green Line, he said, was where he first came up with the idea of one of his earliest songs, which he rarely performs: “Comfortable,”
a wistful love song to an ex, came to him as he held on to the handrail on a screechy stretch of Boston’s most-beloved T line.

(Aieee! I hope that I was not caught singing Depeche Mode's Everything Counts In Large Amounts, while I was drunk off my backside!)

"Mayer came to Berklee in 1997 hoping to sharpen his guitar skills but he made a course correction after his first semester.
Mayer realized that his gift for songwriting was the club key to where he wanted to go. Before the end of his second semester,
in 1998, he left Berklee to find his path into the business."

http://www.berklee.edu/bt/172/coverstory.html

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bl...for-the-mbta/Mhwy8voasoHfcmN517tPXK/blog.html
 

I can't think of anyplace else to put this:




More Seals Means More Great White Sharks In Cape Cod
by Brian Morris
NPR
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=213902183



Great white sharks are becoming a more common sight along the East Coast. Beach closures are not unusual along Cape Cod, but most beach-goers are taking the new threat in stride.


Copyright © 2013 NPR. For personal, noncommercial use only. See Terms of Use. For other uses, prior permission required.

AUDIE CORNISH, HOST:

This time of year, the beaches of Cape Cod are crowded with tourists. But another visitor, the great white shark, also patrols these waters. Sharks come to prey on seals, whose numbers have skyrocketed in recent years. So up and down the cape's Atlantic shoreline, efforts are under way to deal with the potential threat these predators pose. Brian Morris from member station WCAI reports.

BRIAN MORRIS, BYLINE: Russell Cook from Fitchburg, Massachusetts, sits at a picnic table with his family at Nauset Beach in Orleans. Cook says he doesn't mind sharing his vacation with a few sharks.

RUSSELL COOK: I think the sharks are here for a reason: because there's too many seals. The seals are protected. All they do is eat all the fish and eat all the lobsters, and the sharks are doing us all a big favor, thinning the herd. They got people looking. And if you need to get out of the water, get out of the water. I'm not going to let it deter my vacation.

MORRIS: About six feet from Cook is a large new sign that greets visitors at all Cape Cod ocean beaches. It warns that great white sharks live in these waters. As if to hammer the point home, an illustration of a fierce-looking great white dominates the sign. Some people stop to read, but most continue down to the beach. Alex Quigley from Kingston, New York, says he isn't worried.

ALEX QUIGLEY: You know, if you don't get yourself out too deep, I think you'll be fine. I mean, honestly, you know, it's not very often that people even get fatally wounded or anything.

MORRIS: Over the past winter, town officials created a unified plan for dealing with shark sightings.

VINCE GULOTTA: We close the beach pretty quickly once we can verify it and then ask questions later. Always good to err on the side of safety.

MORRIS: That's Vince Gulotta, a beach supervisor at Chatham's Lighthouse Beach. He says he also would notify lifeguards at other beaches within minutes alerting them to the closing. So far, he hasn't had to activate the plan this summer. But there have been shark sightings at two other cape beaches prompting one-hour closings.

GULOTTA: It's a new reality. We got some new neighbors. And we got to coexist with them the best we can.

MORRIS: Beachgoers are advised not to swim close to seals. But that's often a guessing game because seals tend to pop up anywhere, including just a few yards off crowded public beaches, and there's no way to tell if a shark is close behind.

GULOTTA: Normally, it's very hard to see from the beach because the great whites swim so deep that it very rarely shows its dorsal fin unless it's going in for a seal attack.

MORRIS: Originally, it was thought that sharks cruising local waters would drive away tourists. But if anything, shark fascination has been a boon for local business. Sharks have become quaint. In Chatham, a shark-themed cottage industry has sprung up along Main Street. Many stores now carry shark T-shirts and hats, inflatable sharks, shark jaw picture frames and other shark-related novelty items.

UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN: We have, like, very few shark T-shirts left. On the left-hand side, right up here, I have a couple of them.

MORRIS: Despite the shark's newfound commercial appeal, there's always the lurking possibility, however small, of a serious shark attack. Patricia Salvina from Athens, New York, is vacationing on the cape with friends. There are 13 kids in their group. That's reason enough for her to veto swimming in the waters off Chatham.

PATRICIA SALVINA: Yeah. We're not going in. Just not willing to take a chance with all these kids. Too many kids to keep an eye on. You know, they understand we don't want them to be shark meat.

(LAUGHTER)

MORRIS: Beach supervisor Vince Gulotta says much of people's fear can be traced back to that famous movie of 38 years ago.

GULOTTA: I think that ever since "Jaws" came out, there's a primordial fear in human beings of things they can't see that might be in the water beneath them, that awful feeling of vulnerability.

MORRIS: Most agree that the great white sharks aren't here to stalk humans, only seals. But a great white sometimes can't tell the difference, and no one wants to be the next victim of that kind of mistaken identity. For NPR News, I'm Brian Morris on Cape Cod.




http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=213902183
 
They have been keeping track of them. Seal count.

OK, who ordered the hot pea soup, for the weekend ? *tries to breathe water* Fine weather for mosquitoes.
 
Yet, another part of Massachusetts is due to be infested with casino gambling.

As, if, the scandals with the State Lottery and problems associated with other grotesque gambling pastimes did not clue people in.

Disney was smart enough to see that gambling would not match well with wholesome family outings. (What ? Peach Alley exists ? Oh, my!)

Why screw with the The Big E Fair ?

Mor Funz ! Sept. 13 - 29, 2013 Tornado Alley East
 
*laughing* Falcon pooping on imported Italian 25 carat gold, on top of the big wig's dome.

"It’s something Benjamin Franklin might have thought up: A lightning rod hidden in a historic golden pine cone perched at the apex of the state’s most iconic building."

"But when the white tarp shrouding the top of the Massachusetts State House comes down in the next few weeks, that is exactly what will crown the hub of the Hub."

"Since the State House was completed in 1798, a gilded wooden pine cone has topped the cupola on the building’s famous dome. But oddly,
a lightning rod was never added to the building atop Beacon Hill."

"Building engineers, in an effort to modernize the building, decided to change that, embarking on a $400,000 refurbishment that will spiff up the cupola
but also serve a practical purpose. The pine cone’s cap will now be metal instead of wood, a hidden wire snaking through the dome to the ground
to protect it from electrical strikes."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...m-lightning/NYpcCGUdXM3qtz0R12V1oK/story.html
 
*sigh* I love Boston. But, I wish they would stop these bonehead antics.

Massholes at Massport, yet, again, give everyone the finger.

They do not give a shit about what part Logan played in the disaster, or the people who suffered loss and pain on this day.

Yup. 9/11 is their chosen day for setting a [fake] plane on fire, on the tarmac.

They just had to chose this day, to have a fire drill.

Thanks, NPR for the pic

I am sure that any passenger could see that sheet of flame, before they landed at Logan.

Smoke, too ?

ugh Way to give people a flashback, jerks.
 
Interesting, what you can find in the old Boston Phoenix archives

"Free speech," Van Der Meer told Lombardi, "is not a criminal act." Unfortunately, on one day in April 2003, it was.

Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office drops charges against UMass professor

A dozen or so eyewitnesses to the April 3 incident have long disputed the campus police’s version of events and insisted that Van Der Meer was innocent

Scrubbing facts out of the police report-
Both the police report and the recruiters’ statements make no mention of who initiated the argument.

April 3, 2003
The arrest of UMass Boston Africana-studies professor Tony Van Der Meer-

Massachusetts National Guard recruiter who told both Van Der Meer and Tony Naro, a student handing out anti-war leaflets
in commemoration of the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination, that they should both "be shot" like King.

Quoted-‘You should be shot in the head, you and all you peacemaker people.’"

UMass Boston police officer William Lanergan was summoned to the scene by the National Guard. Lanergan angrily screamed at Van Der Meer
to "shut the fuck up." UMass Boston police officer grabbed Van der Meer, tore Van der Meer's jacket and damaging his glasses.

- The recruiter, who was wearing fatigues and a beret, spun around and got up in Van Der Meer’s face. "He took this John Wayne stance,"
the professor says, "and said, ‘You should be shot, too.’"

By all accounts, the conversation devolved into a shouting match. Both men were yelling, standing nose to nose, pointing fingers at each other.
Van Der Meer says the guardsman even poked him in the shoulder.

Within seconds, Van Der Meer wasn’t facing the guardsman anymore. Instead, a campus police officer, who hadn’t spoken to Naro or Van Der Meer
before — inserted himself between the men, his back to the recruiter. Van Der Meer says the cop grabbed him by the collar of his green corduroy
jacket and pushed — so much so that his jacket was ripped to shreds and his glasses lens popped onto the floor.

The officer, Naro says, "was angry, red-faced. He was screaming, ‘Shut the fuck up!’" He then wrestled the professor to the ground as the recruiters left.
Dazed and trapped under the weight of the officer, Van Der Meer says, all he thought was, "Is this a nightmare?" The reaction among many who witnessed
the incident was swift. Some students cried. Others protested, chanting, "Police brutality! Police brutality," while Van Der Meer was handcuffed and hauled
off to jail. "It was mayhem," Naro concludes, "just mayhem."

Police charged Van Der Meer with assault. Accused of shoving a campus cop in the chest. "An allegation of assault and battery on a
police officer." Van Der Meer accused of using his hands to assault.

(US invasion of Iraq is not supported by everyone. See- Yellow Cake scandal- see massive fuck ups See- outing of CIA agent by GOP)

Van Der Meer sees his experience as fodder for a book on free-speech issues in wartime. His ordeal, after all, is just one
example of the kind of repression that those who voice dissent now face. As he puts it, "As long as Bush is in power, as
[long as] the Patriot Act exists, free speech is still very much in jeopardy."

Van der Meer's experience ?

Barring any new arrests of Van Der Meer, the charges against him will be officially dismissed in February. On the flip side, of course,
is the fact that if the professor is arrested for any reason during this two-month probation, Procopio says, "the charges remain intact
and the case gets put back on track for trial."

So, a protester is defended and the defender gets assaulted by a police officer, false charges and a false arrest. The guardsman who
threatened Naro and who initiated the incident never faces any disciplinary action.

Van Der Meer, who did nothing wrong, is threatened with jail time.

Recruiter for the Massachusetts National Guard has an attitude- Yells out, "Fucking communist!" at the student, before the confrontation.

Student Life Services verified that the Black Student Center had reserved a table where the National Guard was recruiting.

Naro had a right to be there. He had a slip of paper from Student Life Services, showing that students had a table.

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/top/features/documents/03044184.asp

Who decided that free speech and witnesses, did not count in the court of law ?

Three UMass police officers and the three National Guard recruiters perjured themselves. Life went on for them, as usual. No consequences.

Consequences for Van Der Meer ?

The day after his arrest, the gravity of the situation hit him. He couldn’t think. He couldn’t counsel students. On campus, colleagues expressed regrets.
At home, activists inundated him with e-mails expressing outrage over his arrest. And then, there were the taunting phone calls.

Phone calls proclaiming support for "Bush and the boys." One person called Van Der Meer five times — each time, the person left a tape of a clip from
the movie Full Metal Jacket, during which a soldier talks about his weapon as having no regard for "the niggers, spics, and Jews."

By late April, Van Der, Meer had had enough. He took a leave of absence for the rest of the academic year. "Suddenly, I was in the same league as the
Dixie Chicks and Danny Glover," he says. "It was too much."
 
September 17, 2013

Keurig cranks up for opening of Burlington Mall store that aims to be a shrine to single-serve joe

At the store, shoppers will be able to interact with Keurig brewers and beverages from Keurig K-Cup, KeurigVue, and Keurig Rivo systems.

There will also be a “Pick-a-Pack” wall that will “make it possible for consumers to purchase a variety of beverages to brew at home without committing
to a full box of one flavor,” the release said. “Available in three-count, six-count, or 12-count boxes, shoppers can mix-and-match their Keurig Brewed
K-Cup or Vue packs to fulfill all their flavor cravings.”

According to Keurig, the wall will feature nearly 200 varieties of Keurig Brewed coffees, teas, hot cocoas, specialty, and Brew Over Ice beverages.

http://www.boston.com/business/news...e-serve-joe/85Hm9OAp1Z6ip8l755XsqN/story.html
 
Huzzah! Beacon Hill found a clue, and thanks to bipartisan support, a bill became law.

17 year old teens will not be held in jails, with adult populations. They will be able to continue their educations, ect.

Sadly, they will still be tried as adults, if they are involved with some crimes.

Thank you, Greater Boston news program
 
Watching "Greater Boston'"

Revisiting the Washington Navy Yard massacre-

{gsgs comment- The list of media coverage fuck-ups, is disheartening. Same trick as the Boston Marathon bombing reporting-
They named the wrong person ? Again ?}
 
Boston Chronicle

564 people dead- Hurricaine of 1938

September 21, 1938 East Coast demolished. All the way to Quebec.

186 mph at Blue Hills

Ship reports was all they had, to let them know what might happen.

On September 21, 1938, one of the most destructive and powerful storms ever to strike southern New England devastated the region,
with sustained winds reaching 121 miles per hour, tides surging more than 15 feet, and rainfall up to 17 inches in some areas. 564 people
lost their lives and hundreds were injured.

Worcester Tornado June 9, 1953

" Look! The birds are flying funny." "Then I saw the wall of the tornado."

"looked like 1945 Hiroshima"

http://www.wcvb.com/chronicle

http://www.wcvb.com/chronicle/frida...er/-/12523032/21889248/-/9mevqez/-/index.html

http://www.worcesterma.gov/city-clerk/history/general/1953-worcester-tornado

Lightning can cause damage to your brain- Avoid getting hit!

http://struckbylightning.org/
 
20 year old scofflaw kills, after being given a break

http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x1442570389/Seabrook-woman-in-fatal-crash-drove-without-license

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130924-NEWS-309240381

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/poli...nse/-/9848876/22078538/-/4v5db2z/-/index.html

Hampton police confirmed that Hess, driving a 2002 Honda Civic, was stopped on Ocean Boulevard at 12:45 a.m. Saturday for
crossing the Neil R. Underwood Bridge at a high rate of speed in the same area where the crash happened eight hours later.

When asked to produce a license, she told police she didn’t have one. She was issued a summons for a speeding violation and
for operating a motor vehicle without a license , and ordered to wait for a friend to drive her car away.

Later that same morning at around 8:30 a.m., Hess was traveling southbound over the bridge when she veered into a group of
bicyclists in the northbound lane. [Hess's vehicle crossed the centerline.] Two were killed, and two were injured.

Was the killer drunk ? Was the killer texting ? Do not fucking tweet when you are driving a car! How fucked up, do you have to be,
to not notice 1,500 bicyclists ? 100 mile bike ride, and the riders were killed after riding 15 miles. Did not have a license.
 
Little Miss "I Do Not Need a License to Drive"-

Charged in crash that killed two bicyclists

Bail set at $50,000 cash

The young woman who hit four bicyclists with her car at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, killing two, was charged with two counts of negligent homicide
Tuesday, as well as two counts of second-degree assault for the other injured bicyclists. She was driving a friend’s vehicle at the time of the
crash.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130924/NEWS/130929879/-1/WAP01

"Witnesses are still being interviewed, investigators “ended up with a lot more witnesses than you’d imagine” because a large bicycling event
involving about 1,500 riders was going on at the time."
-Rockingham County Attorney Jim Reams
 
The Saga of Little Miss "I Do Not Need a License to Drive" (continued)

A second person has been arrested in connection with the death of bicyclists on Saturday
September 25, 2013

A woman gave drugs and the car keys to an unlicensed driver- This woman was arrested on warrants charging her with felony sale
of a controlled/narcotic drug and a violation-level offense of allowing an improper person to operate a motor vehicle.

Saturday's accident was witnessed by David Kelley, a retired major with the state police, according to the police affidavit.

Kelley told police that he was approaching the bridge heading northbound on Route 1A and saw a Honda Civic crest the top of the bridge
"at a speed that he believed was unreasonable for the conditions of the road," the affidavit said.

"I thought I would see cruisers following behind," Kelley told police, indicating that he thought the driver could be involved in a pursuit.

Hess told Kelley she had "taken her eyes off of the road for a few seconds," according to a Hampton police affidavit.

He then saw Hess cross the double yellow centerline of the bridge as she was heading southbound. Kelley told police that the group of
bicyclists were riding in a single file line on the far right side of the northbound lane when the car hit them.

"Mr. Kelley stated that he observed multiple bicyclists tossed from their bicycles as a result of the collision," the affidavit said.

The car then continued traveling in the northbound lane and then crossed back into the southbound lane before crashing into roadway
delineators in the breakdown lane and coming to rest on top of a sign at the Seabrook line, Kelley told police.

"Mr. Kelley stated that he observed the female operator of the vehicle and observed her with her eyes open and her head up,"
the affidavit said.

David Kelley, a retired State Police major who witnessed the accident, said in an affidavit that Hess admitted immediately after the crash
to "taking her eyes off the road for a few seconds."

Little Miss "I Do Not Need a License to Drive" was unable to enter pleas, as the charges are all felonies. She is due back in court
for a probable cause hearing Oct. 8.

The second woman was expected to appear in superior court this morning in connection with her June arrest. She was being held on
$10,000 bail Wednesday night. Police said she will now appear for arraignment in 10th Circuit Court on the latest set of charges.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130925-NEWS-130929837

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130925/NEWS03/130929469

http://www.newhampshire.com/article/20130925/NEWS03/130929469&template=newhampshire1406

Why did the female drug dealer give the car back to Little Miss "I Do Not Need a License to Drive," after she had been caught speeding ?
 
The winter that the turkeys were scared off by a huge white hawk. (It had speckles, like an osprey. But, it was bigger.)
Now, the deer are nosing around in the spot that the turkeys liked, before the hawk came around. (Hawk was taller than the turkeys.)

Two fawns and a mother deer, out in plain daylight. Just last year, the hoof prints were as small as the dish of a tablespoon.

Masshole bear from Athol, caught this week. *juvenile snerk* We only get black bears. (Are they following the deer ? More herds in the Blue Hills.)
 
Two nights in a row, the coyotes and their "sweet music." Such racket of howling, yipping and barking. They are late, this time.
 
Back
Top