Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The landlord here at the office just gave us two days to pay the rent or he will kick us out, and the boss is out of town until Monday...

Yesterday an item of mail arrived from Italy containing my eBay purchase.

It is an original charcoal sketch by a significant 20th Century artist. I thought I was risking my money because it couldn't possibly be sold at the low price I paid for it. But the eBay seller has a 99% positive feedback rating and the one negative one was from an obvious asshole who hadn't read the description of what he was bidding for.

Today I won another artist's sketch from the same seller. If it is what he says it is - I'm stunned. I have bid on two more sketches by the same artist.

Even if I win the next two, the total cost will be slightly more than $100 US, and half of that will be post and packing.

I just hope I won't get outbid, which is why I'm not naming the artists - yet.

But the sketch I already have was cheaper than many movie poster reproductions. I'm happy.

My brother, the artist now he's retired from industry, will be very jealous.

P.S. They could, of course, be copies by another artist, or fakes. But at the price it isn't worth the effort of making a fake.

So grateful my father sounds okay now. It was a very tough year and a half.

Glad things are improving. :)

The landlord here at the office just gave us two days to pay the rent or he will kick us out, and the boss is out of town until Monday...

Ouch. Good luck.

Van update: They tell me the water pump is seizing up and that's what caused the problems. Total bill to fix (including cost of diagnosis and replacing all belts) is $1100. That sound reasonable to anyone? I know nothing about this stuff.

There are other things that need attention but this is primary. Other is that the tubes that carry fluid to the rear heater are leaking. Not in a big way right now, but it does need attention. They would charge about $675 for that; I'm thinking maybe we should wait.

And to top it off, our smoke alarm is beeping... out of battery...

Sigh.

Van update: They tell me the water pump is seizing up and that's what caused the problems. Total bill to fix (including cost of diagnosis and replacing all belts) is $1100. That sound reasonable to anyone? I know nothing about this stuff.

There are other things that need attention but this is primary. Other is that the tubes that carry fluid to the rear heater are leaking. Not in a big way right now, but it does need attention. They would charge about $675 for that; I'm thinking maybe we should wait.

And to top it off, our smoke alarm is beeping... out of battery...

Sigh.

It would be helpful if you could advise what the TYPE of van it is, with a few details of engine, etc..

It would be helpful if you could advise what the TYPE of van it is, with a few details of engine, etc..

LOL Sorry. It is a 2002 Kia Sedona, but I couldn't tell you much more than that. I don't know if it's a 4- or 6-cylinder engine, although I think it might be the latter.

The question now of course is do we put another $1100 into it after recently putting $1300 in, and knowing that at some point we'll need to put in possibly another $700 or so to deal with the coolant tubes. The Kelley Blue Book value on a van in fair condition is $1800-$2700 (depending on whether you trade it in or sell it yourself). Plus the van is in Maryland and we're in PA, and it's about a 3-hr drive to go get it.

Or, do we figure a way to trade it in for something else? I'd like to either fix it or trade it (maybe we'd have to do both), because otherwise that $1300 was practically thrown away.

LOL Sorry. It is a 2002 Kia Sedona, but I couldn't tell you much more than that. I don't know if it's a 4- or 6-cylinder engine, although I think it might be the latter.

The question now of course is do we put another $1100 into it after recently putting $1300 in, and knowing that at some point we'll need to put in possibly another $700 or so to deal with the coolant tubes. The Kelley Blue Book value on a van in fair condition is $1800-$2700 (depending on whether you trade it in or sell it yourself). Plus the van is in Maryland and we're in PA, and it's about a 3-hr drive to go get it.

Or, do we figure a way to trade it in for something else? I'd like to either fix it or trade it (maybe we'd have to do both), because otherwise that $1300 was practically thrown away.

I suspect that now might be a good time to think about swapping it.. It's gonna get expensive to keep that sort of repair up.

I suspect that now might be a good time to think about swapping it.. It's gonna get expensive to keep that sort of repair up.

I think you're right, I just don't know exactly what we can do. We're really not in a position to have a monthly car payment, and I don't know what kind of trade-in deal we could work. Guess we'll need to investigate some options.

When I returned from a few days away from home, my television set was displaying an error message stating the hard drive had failed. The internet is running very, very slowly on this computer. All things electronic hate me.

When I returned from a few days away from home, my television set was displaying an error message stating the hard drive had failed. The internet is running very, very slowly on this computer. All things electronic hate me.

Oh dear. *hug* Hope that helps a little. :rose:

I think you're right, I just don't know exactly what we can do. We're really not in a position to have a monthly car payment, and I don't know what kind of trade-in deal we could work. Guess we'll need to investigate some options.

I suggest that the best thing would be to write it all down.
Get an estimate of how much costs whatever is 'suspect' may incur (I've never heard of water to the rear heater, for example) and tot it all up. If you can get away with having a little something done every now and again, you may manage, otherwise it could be another vehicle of some sort.

Whatever it is, Good Luck with it.

I don't get it. One of your spells went wrong and you cooked the washer. :(
Now you've fried something in the TV (I did not know TVs had a Hard Drive; mine does not - as far as I know).

A Big Hug to the Good Witch. :rose:

I suggest that the best thing would be to write it all down.
Get an estimate of how much costs whatever is 'suspect' may incur (I've never heard of water to the rear heater, for example) and tot it all up. If you can get away with having a little something done every now and again, you may manage, otherwise it could be another vehicle of some sort.

Whatever it is, Good Luck with it.

That's a good idea. We've also been going over what's been done in the various tune-ups and servicings since we bought it.

For the rear heater, what the guy told me was that there are tubes that carry coolant fluid (I think; definitely some kind of fluid) to the rear heater, and the fluid is in there whether the heater is on or not. They are leaking, albeit slowly, and that does need fixing. So he's given us estimates on the water pump, the tubes, and some other more minor (comparatively) items -- spark plugs, air filter, etc.

So we're talking probably $2k to get it all fixed, give or take, and that's on top of $1300 we spent a couple of weeks ago on it. We paid about $10k when we bought in 2007. Part of me says that if this money gets the van in shape to run another few years, it'd be worth spending. But of course we probably won't know that until/unless we do it and then drive it.

Sometimes I hate cars. Or more accurately, the car sales/service industry. I will say that when I've mentioned these prices to people who know more about cars and their care than I do, no one has reacted to the prices in any way. So I take that to mean the prices are reasonable.

No, it wasn't you glynndah. :)

I don't get it. One of your spells went wrong and you cooked the washer. :(
Now you've fried something in the TV (I did not know TVs had a Hard Drive; mine does not - as far as I know).

A Big Hug to the Good Witch. :rose:
It's the hard drive connected to the satellite. I contacted the company and they're sending a new box. As for the computer, I haven't been downstairs to check on the other computer. If it's slow, too, I'll call the phone company {internet provider}. If not, well, I haven't flirted with the guys at Staples in a while...

It's the hard drive connected to the satellite. I contacted the company and they're sending a new box. As for the computer, I haven't been downstairs to check on the other computer. If it's slow, too, I'll call the phone company {internet provider}. If not, well, I haven't flirted with the guys at Staples in a while...

Give them a big ball of yarn and they'll do backflips for you.

Rats! It's both computers. Guess who's going to be randomly pushing buttons on the router tomorrow.

Rats! It's both computers. Guess who's going to be randomly pushing buttons on the router tomorrow.

Unplug it for thirty seconds, then plug it back in. Mine does the same thing, and unplugging it has the effect of rebooting the system. It might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back