Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the UK, Complan is the most sold pabulum, intended for those who have significant digestive complications.

th

The original Complan was bland and insipid. Now it comes in a range of flavours.

The older version was gruel, or if you had a Jewish mother, Chicken Soup.

My old Aunt used to practically live on it.
It was bloody horrible. (Remember Slippery Elm Food?)

Gosh, are we moving on from the Ps? How exciting!

I have actually come in here to post a picture of one of our (three) rose bushes: the Molyneux <snerk>. (It's a David Austin rose, they are close to Wolverhampton which has a football stadium with this misleadingly romantic sounding name.) I rushed out in the rain this morning to make sure I got the picture as the rose suddenly came into full bloom and I don't want to miss it. I'll try to get a better one with the pot - and perhaps even our fat pregnant cat - included.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo1376.jpg
    Photo1376.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 33
Yes, Parcheesi was one of my favorite games as a child and the reason I posted it, really.

Naoko, this next one I almost missed proves Piglet is related to Dumbo, how fun is that?

pachyderm - noun any of various nonruminant hoofed mammals that mostly have a thick skin and include the elephant, rhinoceros, and pig

There, see what comes of doing things in haste. I read this earlier and meant to respond. At the time I was cooking the breakfast sausages, baking a baguette, drying Piglet's swimsuit with the hairdryer so she could wear it to school because her class is first up for swimming lessons, and so I had to leave this and nearly forgot to reply.

I have always suspected this to be the case, as she eats like an elephant and her favourite good night song is the Mummy Elephant song (Baby Mine).

:rose:

Gosh, are we moving on from the Ps? How exciting!

I have actually come in here to post a picture of one of our (three) rose bushes: the Molyneux <snerk>. (It's a David Austin rose, they are close to Wolverhampton which has a football stadium with this misleadingly romantic sounding name.) I rushed out in the rain this morning to make sure I got the picture as the rose suddenly came into full bloom and I don't want to miss it. I'll try to get a better one with the pot - and perhaps even our fat pregnant cat - included.

Please may I have a cutting ?
:)

Thanks for the additional information on pabulum, Og, that is good to know.

Nice picture, Naoko, well done, indeed. I hope to post a few more in a day or two. I have had to spend my days weeding. It seems I grow weeds better than any kind of flowers. LOL

I am starting off the Os with;

oyez - v imper used by a court or public crier to gain attention before a proclamation pl oyesses

Thanks for the additional information on pabulum, Og, that is good to know.

Nice picture, Naoko, well done, indeed. I hope to post a few more in a day or two. I have had to spend my days weeding. It seems I grow weeds better than any kind of flowers. LOL

oyez - v imper used by a court or public crier to gain attention before a proclamation pl oyesses

There are those who claim it is a contraction of "Oh Yes" (O Yeas (as in All men))
meaning to get attention of the crowd.

The shouted Oyez! was used by the
Town Crier to attract attention. It means, in Norman French, "Hear ye!" (plural you) and is a command to stop what you are doing and listen.

It is related to the same verb as the legal term "Oyer et Terminer" - To Listen and To Stop.

Oyer is the infinitive. Oyez is the imperative 2nd person plural = You (all) (must) listen.

Last edited:
Please may I have a cutting ?

A kitten! Of course! I will put it in the post as soon as it appears.

Is odalisque allowed? One of my favourite books Scheherazade Goes West is all about odalisques. An odalisque is a female slave or concubine in an Ottoman seraglio. I would put pictures but I want to put this close up of the Molyneux.

This is the first time I've 'compressed' a file that was too much memory, as opposed to too big in centimetres, let's hope it works!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo1381.jpg
    Photo1381.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 30
flews - the loose lips and jowls of a dog loke a bulldog

Gosh, that's a good one.

(BTW, Allard goes backwards through the alphabet; we have just started on 'O', although she very graciously welcomes all rare and delicate words especially from new posters.)

Welcome back, robertreams. I favor the second word you posted, attar, very nice.

Beautiful compressed file photo of a most lovely rose, Miss Naoko, I am bit jealous of the flower and the picture.

Og, thanks for the additional information and the next entry in my dictionary says;

oyer and terminer - noun 1. a commission authorizing a British judge to hear and determine a criminal case at the assizes 2. a high criminal court in some U.S. States (which is news to me)

Welcome back, robertreams. I favor the second word you posted, attar, very nice.

Beautiful compressed file photo of a most lovely rose, Miss Naoko, I am bit jealous of the flower and the picture.

Og, thanks for the additional information and the next entry in my dictionary says;

oyer and terminer - noun 1. a commission authorizing a British judge to hear and determine a criminal case at the assizes 2. a high criminal court in some U.S. States (which is news to me)

It's the authority (from the Crown) vested in a judge to try certain crimes, particularly treason or felony.

These days it's implicit, but in the 14th century, it was important, since justice was administered by the local Lord, except in some cases.

obambulate -- to walk about; to wander hither and thither

Somewhat surprisingly, this word, which I've never heard or seen used, is considered "rare" and not archaic or obsolete.

obambulate -- to walk about; to wander hither and thither
That's a nice one. :)

(BTW you can have an piccie avatar now that you have over 100 posts, if you want to.)

Osculate
(of a curve or surface) Touch (another curve or surface) so as to have a common tangent at the point of contact.
Kiss.
:kiss:

peccatogenic n., attributing disasters, including bad weather and famine, to human misconduct.

The word appears to be a derivative of the word peccadillo.

peccatogenic n., attributing disasters, including bad weather and famine, to human misconduct.

I like that! And it reminds me of a quote I sometimes offer people.

'Tis human to err; but it takes a computer to make a complete b@llsup of things.

On sin

The words are related, but neither derives from the other. They both come from the Latin verb peccare, which means to make a mistake, to go wrong, to offend, and is often translated as to sin. A closely related Latin noun, peccatum appears (in the accusative plural) in the phrase Agnus dei, qui tollis peccata mundi (Oh, Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world).

I can't find peccatogenic in my dictionaries, one of which is the OED. I would check my American Heritage Dictionary, but I'm in my basement study and the dictionary is upstairs on the first floor—where a bridal shower for my daughter is in progress. I'm afraid my man parts would turn black and fall off if I were to expose myself to such concentrated estrogen fumes.

I would've guessed the word to mean caused, or brought about, by sin.

The word peccadillo comes to us through Spanish as a diminutive of their word peccado, sin. Peccadillo could be translated as cute little sin.

Other related words are peccavi, I have sinned (literally), impeccable, originally not capable of sinning, but now according to the highest standard, and peccable, capable of sinning.

Last edited:
Very nice explanation, Carlus, and much appreciated.

Welcome, ControllingKink, that is a nice rare word.

And thanks to my regular posters for keeping this thread interesting.

oxytone - adj having an acute accent on the last syllable

Other related words are peccavi, I have sinned (literally), ...[/i]

An admission of guilt or sin.

[From Latin peccavi (I have sinned), from peccare (to err).]

The story goes that in 1843, after annexing the Indian province of Sind, British General Sir Charles Napier sent home a one word telegram, "Peccavi" implying "I have Sind." Although apocryphal, it's still a great story.

Contranym

Interesting word about words: a contranym is a word that means one thing as well as its opposite.

Examples:

cleave means both to adhere to as well as split away from.

sanction means both to allow and forbid.

oversight is both the attention you give to something to make no mistakes occur, as well as the mistakes that occur anyway.

And these days literally means both literally and figuratively.

Any more?

obequitation -- to act of riding about

This word was in Samuel Johnson's Dictionary (1755). Modern dictionaries consider it obsolete.

Thank you for the kind welcoming words, Allard and Naoko.

Interesting word about words: a contranym is a word that means one thing as well as its opposite.

Examples:

cleave means both to adhere to as well as split away from.

sanction means both to allow and forbid.

oversight is both the attention you give to something to make no mistakes occur, as well as the mistakes that occur anyway.

And these days literally means both literally and figuratively.

Any more?

And then there are word pairs like ravel and unravel, or flammable and inflammable. Here, words that should mean opposite things turn out to mean the same thing. Is there a word for that?

An admission of guilt or sin.

[From Latin peccavi (I have sinned), from peccare (to err).]

The story goes that in 1843, after annexing the Indian province of Sind, British General Sir Charles Napier sent home a one word telegram, "Peccavi" implying "I have Sind." Although apocryphal, it's still a great story.

I was able to send a similar message once! When I was working with my Dad's company and he was bidding for a contract in Sind. I wrote 'Have you sinned?' in Latin, LOL.

Any more?

Interesting one.

obequitation -- to act of riding about

This word was in Samuel Johnson's Dictionary (1755). Modern dictionaries consider it obsolete.

Thank you for the kind welcoming words, Allard and Naoko.

:) another nice one.

I better obequite off now and get the breakfast croissants. I am enjoying rare peace and quiet as Piglet is still at cub camp, tackling knotty problems in a literal rather than literate way under the supervision of Akela and her husband the District Commissioner.

Great to see you, Doc, and thanks for the thought provoking question. I will have to see what comes up, as this thread progresses towards A.

I feel compelled to add this entry, even though it is not seldom-used, it does fit in with the current topic;

oxymoron - noun a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back