Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do love the male voice choirs.

I offer this word in penitence ;)

Petalling
the way wine is rocked to roll down the edge of the glass, so the taster can see its qualities before tasting.

Actually this is so rare I can't even find a definition. I hope I didn't make it up. :eek:

Welcome DeeJay2609. I had to look pantechnicon up to find it was the name of a British van. Very nice.

Naoko, please don't apologize for having fun on this thread. Do as you wish, as long as it is civil. That is my only request. I looked for petalling and also found nothing, but I do know what you mean. If the wine runs back to the bottom of the glass in long streams, it is called "having legs", which means it's a good wine. Maybe that will help with the search.

Og, I loved the link you posted, thanks so much, it was really great to listen to this morning over coffee. I wish it were longer, though.

peat(2) - noun a bold gay woman

Welcome DeeJay2609. I had to look pantechnicon up to find it was the name of a British van. Very nice.

Og, I loved the link you posted, thanks so much, it was really great to listen to this morning over coffee. I wish it were longer, though.

These days, it is quite rare to see a Pantechnicon. Only large house-moving firms seem to have them, but they were quite a common sight when I were a lad.
Originally, the name comes from a very large wagon pulled by horses.

That was so wonderful, Og, that I had to look it up and what a find it was. Thank you so much, once again.

Gwahoddiad was originally the English hymn "I hear thy welcome voice", the words and tune of which were written in 1872 by the American Methodist minister and hymn writer Lewis Hartsough (1828–1919), during a revival meeting at Epworth, Iowa where Hartsough was Pastor. Hartsough was music editor of The Revivalist, first published in Troy, New York in 1868 and revised in 1872.

The Welsh version Gwahoddiad, written by Calvinistic Methodist minister and musician Rev. John Roberts (Ieuan Gwyllt), has become so well known in translation that many people believe it to be a traditional Welsh hymn.

"Gwahoddiad"

Mi glywaf dyner lais,
Yn galw arnaf fi,
I ddod a golchi 'meiau gyd.
Yn afon Calfari.

Byrdwn
Arglwydd, dyma fi
Ar dy alwad di,
Golch fi'n burlan yn y gwaed
(*1) A gaed ar Galfari.

Yr Iesu sy'n fy ngwadd,
I dderbyn gyda'i saint,
Ffydd, gobaith, cariad pur a hedd,
A phob rhyw nefol fraint.

Yr Iesu sy'n cryfhau,
O'm mewn Ei waith trwy ras;
Mae'n rhoddi nerth i'm henaid gwan,
I faeddu 'mhechod cas. \

Gogoniant byth am drefn,
Y cymod a'r glanhad;
Derbyniaf lesu fel yr wyf,
A chanaf am y gwaed.
(*1) alternatively: Canna f'enaid yn y gwaed

"Invitation"
I hear thy gentle voice
Calling to me
To come and wash all my sins
In the river of Calvary.

Chorus:
Lord, here I am
At thy call,
Bleach my soul in the blood
Which flowed on Calvary.

It is Jesus who invites me
To receive with his saints
Faith, hope, pure love and peace
And every heavenly privilege.

It is Jesus who strengthens
Me in his work through grace;
He gives strength to my weak soul
To beat my hateful sins.

Glory ever for ordering
The reconciliation and the expurgation;
I will receive Jesus as I am
And sing about the blood.

Og, how can I ever thank you enough for the cultural enrichment you bring to me and everyone else who reads this thread. Please excuse any misspellings in the Welsh version of the hymn, I pasted it from Wiki, it was in paragraphs instead of stanzas, and I am totally unfamiliar with what is right.

peart - adj in good spirits: LIVELY

I enjoy some of the Latin music sung by choirs but my favourite piece is this:

Eli Jenkin's Prayer by Dylan Thomas

My favorite has long been the Domine Iesu Christe, the ancient Christian prayer for the dead, from Jean Gilles' Requiem. The whole work is of surpassing beauty and was sung at the rites of the Kings of France at one time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e0xH3cggYQ

The Domine Iesu Christe begins at about 21:25:

Domine Iesu Christe, rex Gloriae,
libera animas omnium fidelium defunctorum
de poenis inferni et de profundo lacu.

(Lord Jesus Christ, King of Glory,
Free the souls of all the faithful dead
from the punishment of hell and from the deep lake.)
[One must be very careful not to omit the "o" when writing out the word "poenis"... But, hmmm. That might be a good title for a story: "De penis inferni" Non-human genre, I'm thinking.]

Libera eas de ore lionem;
Ne absorbeat eas Tartarus;
Ne cadant in obscurum

(Free them from the lion's mouth;
May Hell not absorb them;
May they not fall into shadow.)

Sed signifer sanctus Michael
representet eas in lucem sanctam,
quam olim Abrahe promisisti et semini eius.

(But may the holy standard-bearer Michael
lead them into holy light,
as thou did promise of old to Abraham and to his seed.)
[At last! A legitimate, non-erotic use of "seed"!]

The choir is French, and you may have fun trying to pick out the Latin words when they're sung with French vowels.

I'm also fond of the Sanctus from the Berlioz Te Deum, but I haven't been able to find a copy on-line. Not a free one, that is.

Last edited:

Naoko, please don't apologize for having fun on this thread. Do as you wish, as long as it is civil. That is my only request. I looked for petalling and also found nothing, but I do know what you mean. If the wine runs back to the bottom of the glass in long streams, it is called "having legs", which means it's a good wine. Maybe that will help with the search.

I have to say that I never imagined I would find a model of graceful ladylike behaviours in Literotica's Authors' Hangout. I hope one day I can be like you, Allard.

Pétanque (from the Occitan Petanca)
A kind of boules. Here's a picture of some people playing pétanque in Nice, lucky things.

350px-Petanque_on_a_beach_of_Nice.jpg

A kind of boules. Here's a picture of some people playing pétanque in Nice, lucky things.

Locally we have a couple of Petanque teams linked to pubs. They can't play well until they have sunk several pints - then they are almost unbeatable.

A few years ago they nearly ended our Twinning Association with our French twins. The best of the two Petanque teams went to the twin town to play the best the French had, including the French Town's Mayor and Police Chief. They filled a coach and loaded it with a couple of barrels of Kentish beer.

They lost the first match but by the second (of five) they had sunk enough beer. They won the next four by embarrassing margins that became larger and larger as the French team drank English beer. The Police Chief had to carry the Mayor to the Town Hall for the formal dinner.

The initial reception by the French wives was icy, but they warmed up as the meal progressed with many toasts made in French wine. By the end of the evening the formal dinner had become a contest to see who could sing the rudest Rugby songs in English or French.

The Twinning between the two towns was back to the normal cordial relationships after the French Ladies Tennis Club were adjudged the performers of the rudest song (with actions) about cuckolding their men with various zoological partners that I can't mention on Literotica.

The Twin towns are still friends even when the French beat the English, in England, at cricket. This time the French had brought ample supplies of Calvados and the cricket match didn't start until after a heavy lunch.

The rude singing contest was re-staged. The English Ladies Hockey team were close runners up as the French Ladies Tennis Club won again with improved choreography.

I have to say that I never imagined I would find a model of graceful ladylike behaviours in Literotica's Authors' Hangout. I hope one day I can be like you, Allard.

Locally we have a couple of Petanque teams linked to pubs. They can't play well until they have sunk several pints - then they are almost unbeatable.

A few years ago they nearly ended our Twinning Association with our French twins. The best of the two Petanque teams went to the twin town to play the best the French had, including the French Town's Mayor and Police Chief. They filled a coach and loaded it with a couple of barrels of Kentish beer.

They lost the first match but by the second (of five) they had sunk enough beer. They won the next four by embarrassing margins that became larger and larger as the French team drank English beer. The Police Chief had to carry the Mayor to the Town Hall for the formal dinner.

The initial reception by the French wives was icy, but they warmed up as the meal progressed with many toasts made in French wine. By the end of the evening the formal dinner had become a contest to see who could sing the rudest Rugby songs in English or French.

The Twinning between the two towns was back to the normal cordial relationships after the French Ladies Tennis Club were adjudged the performers of the rudest song (with actions) about cuckolding their men with various zoological partners that I can't mention on Literotica.

The Twin towns are still friends even when the French beat the English, in England, at cricket. This time the French had brought ample supplies of Calvados and the cricket match didn't start until after a heavy lunch.

The rude singing contest was re-staged. The English Ladies Hockey team were close runners up as the French Ladies Tennis Club won again with improved choreography.

We played in Antibes and Menton last summer, and fairly well embarassed our Occitan opposition. We have some familiarity with the game, since it's a common summer pastime here in Quebec, and that may have helped. We're convinced, however, that it was the Irish whisky that did the trick for us. The Bushmills also went a long ways towards easing the embarassment of our gracious hosts.

I think the game you are describing is called bocce by the Italians, who play it over here. I have seen it played a couple of times at Italian celebrations. I would love to watch it played in Nice, someday.

Speaking of rugby, I want to confess I know little or nothing about the game. I watched Invictus the other day and my curiosity was heightened. I remembered watching a brutal movie when I was young called This Sporting Life, which was about Rugby, and I added it to my movie queue. Are there any more movies that explain a bit more about the rules out there? Is women's rugby less brutal?

peak(1) - vi 1. to grow thin or sickly 2. to dwindle away

My grandmother used to say she felt "peaked", pronounced peek - ed, and I guess this is the word she was using, although I never thought about it, before finding it in my dictionary.

I think the game you are describing is called bocce by the Italians, who play it over here. I have seen it played a couple of times at Italian celebrations. I would love to watch it played in Nice, someday.

Speaking of rugby, I want to confess I know little or nothing about the game. I watched Invictus the other day and my curiosity was heightened. I remembered watching a brutal movie when I was young called This Sporting Life, which was about Rugby, and I added it to my movie queue. Are there any more movies that explain a bit more about the rules out there? Is women's rugby less brutal?

My grandmother used to say she felt "peaked", pronounced peek - ed, and I guess this is the word she was using, although I never thought about it, before finding it in my dictionary.

I'm sure it is bocce, as when we were on holiday in Turkey it was being offered as a gentle sport for more elderly holiday-makers and it was called bocce.

LOL, they have a ludicrous scrumdown at one point in Invictus with too few people in the scrum. But I really enjoyed the film, it brought back memories of watching that amazing tournament - so emotionally significant to those of us who care about rugby and anti-racist politics. OK, just me! No, I'm joking. It was deeply moving to see Nelson Mandela embrace the sport to the extent of turning up in a Springboks shirt. He is a very wise man. Rugby is like religion for Afrikaans people.

ROFL, women's rugby is just as brutal as men's. You wouldn't believe it of me now, tootling about on my kitten heels, but in my time I was notorious for a vicious hand-off - that's when you run down at the opposition with the ball tucked under your arm and as they come up to tackle you, you shove your hand in their face. I picked up my one black eye playing rugby, it was dreadfully embarrassing as people tried to take care of me on buses and stuff, and the only person who would ask where I'd got it was a police officer in the queue at the bagel bakery. When I told him he laughed his head off.

A very nice butch lady once said when I suggested she come along to see me play rugby, "No, I don't believe in blood sports."

I always thought you were dangerous; now I know.
May the good Lord protect men from women who can run and get violent.
[ snigger ]

When I played schoolboy rugby in Australia our hooker was a karate black belt from a SE Asian Karate school.

His hand-offs were to be feared.

Me? I just ran through or over the opposition. No subtlety. Just weight and power.

But Australian Rugby was slightly less violent than Australian Rules.

My old Grannie used to talk of "being a bit Peaky" when feeling unwell.

I always thought you were dangerous; now I know.
May the good Lord protect men from women who can run and get violent.
[ snigger ]

What, even when they make them cups of tea and leave cakes for them in naked parties? ;)
Don't worry, I reserve my handoffs for the Piglet now. I often say that playing rugby was the best training I got for parenting. Running after someone and tackling them at the knees to bring them down remains a useful skill.
:D

Naoko, thanks for the tips and the laughs. I can your piglet becoming a rugby player in the future. This Sporting Life got here today in the mail, so I will be watching it tonight and making a full report in the morning.

I have to add this next one, because I still own one from my teenage years that I got at an Army/Navy surplus store and it is still useful while shoveling snow;

pea jacket - noun a heavy woolen double-breasted jacket worn chiefly by sailors

Naoko, thanks for the tips and the laughs. I can your piglet becoming a rugby player in the future. This Sporting Life got here today in the mail, so I will be watching it tonight and making a full report in the morning.

I have to add this next one, because I still own one from my teenage years that I got at an Army/Navy surplus store and it is still useful while shoveling snow;

pea jacket - noun a heavy woolen double-breasted jacket worn chiefly by sailors

I love pea jackets! Oh, alright, I just love clothes. I bought the sweetest pair of kitten heel slingbacks yesterday.

Piglet isn't much interested in rugby and says she wants to play cricket. The rules for cricket are so silly that they produce tea-towels with them on, full of things like, the two batsmen are in until they're out. Cricket has delightful fielding position names like silly point and leg side.

Rugby is just thirty muscular men or women grappling with each other in the mud :p. I had to give up watching with my French gay guy pal because he would be so distracted when they went down in the scrum. In rugby they have names for positions like hooker. I hooked for a bit ;) but I'm too small for the scrum, and I wasn't very good at throwing the ball in to the lineout.

There will be a major European tournament this Saturday in the rugby if you're able to catch any of it. The Six Nations is winding up to what we call Super Saturday when the last three games all get played on the one day. England are coming to Cardiff for the deciding match, which will see whether they or Wales get the championship. Everyone is very excited here! and the railway workers have gone on strike.

Cricket is not silly.
It is an intellectual game* requiring an appreciation of the wider world.
[* or games; the subtleties of the one-day or limited-over game are not the same as for a Test Match]
The positions on the field are purely historical apart from Leg & Off sides.
They are no more silly than 'hooker' (or, come to that, 'blind' side).
I recommend you get Piglet a decent cricket bat. Hand-Eye coordination is a real requirement and takes lots of practice.

At least Rugby does not require much by way of protective gear (compared to other field sports).

:)

Cricket is not silly.
It is an intellectual game* requiring an appreciation of the wider world.
[* or games; the subtleties of the one-day or limited-over game are not the same as for a Test Match]
The positions on the field are purely historical apart from Leg & Off sides.
They are no more silly than 'hooker' (or, come to that, 'blind' side).
I recommend you get Piglet a decent cricket bat. Hand-Eye coordination is a real requirement and takes lots of practice.

At least Rugby does not require much by way of protective gear (compared to other field sports).

:)

It's true that they wear beautiful white flannels and cricket blazers to play cricket, rather than sturdy cotton jerseys resistant to being torn off the bodies of the players. ;)

It's true that they wear beautiful white flannels and cricket blazers to play cricket, rather than sturdy cotton jerseys resistant to being torn off the bodies of the players. ;)
On the subject of clothing may I throw my hat in the ring with:

Jerkin
Garment
A jerkin is a man's short close-fitting jacket, made usually of light-colored leather, and often without sleeves, worn over the doublet in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

Naoko, This Sporting Life was more about a failed romance than rugby, unfortunately. It was wonderful to see Richard Harris and Rachel Roberts when they were so young, though. I resorted to Wiki to learn that we are talking Rugby League and not Rugby Union here. I have no cable or regular TV in my mountain home, but I will keep track of the standings online.

Handley, I am also clueless in regards to cricket. I will check it out on Wiki and see what it is all about, too. This California girl never was introduced to rugby or cricket.

peachblow - noun a glaze the color of peach blooms used on a Chinese porcelain

Naoko, This Sporting Life was more about a failed romance than rugby, unfortunately. It was wonderful to see Richard Harris and Rachel Roberts when they were so young, though. I resorted to Wiki to learn that we are talking Rugby League and not Rugby Union here. I have no cable or regular TV in my mountain home, but I will keep track of the standings online.

Handley, I am also clueless in regards to cricket. I will check it out on Wiki and see what it is all about, too. This California girl never was introduced to rugby or cricket.

peachblow - noun a glaze the color of peach blooms used on a Chinese porcelain

Oh dear! I haven't seen This Sporting Life so I didn't realise. You can get all the information on tomorrow's upcoming action here. (I hope the link works - Og couldn't link to women's rugby from here because they suspected him of wanting to link into an erotica site for nefarious purposes! LOL. Poor Og. I had to tell him that there are people who would do such a thing, indeed the only annoying PM I ever had was from someone pretending to an interest in rugby but with other interests in mind. :rolleyes: Mad fool, by the time I'd run out of words on the coaching structure of the home nations, he must have been bored out of his box.)

Peachblow is a lovely one.

Nefarius Purpus was a minor character in the Asterix novels, LOL. I wanted to do Panacea - the name of a beauteous maiden who captures Obelix's heart in the books, but someone has already nabbed her.

Naoko, thanks for the rugby link. I wanted to watch This Sporting Life again, no matter what. My parents were avid movie-goers and took my older brother and I along, sometimes. This movie was one I endured and did not like very much as a girl, and now I can see why. Of course, in 1963, I was eleven years old and that year was marred with Kennedy's assassination. The movies of the 60s could be dark and depressing, as well as in black and white. I suppose the filmmakers were trying to make us reflect on uncomfortable subjects.

peacemaker - noun one who makes peace, esp. by reconciling parties at variance

And the other kind;

peacemaker - noun The Colt Single Action Army, also known as the Model P, Peacemaker, M1873, Single Action Army, SAA, and Colt 45, a single action revolver with a revolving cylinder holding six metallic cartridges

It was designed for the U.S. government service revolver trials of 1872 by Colt's Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company, today Colt's Manufacturing Company, and was adopted as the standard military service revolver until 1892.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back