Claymore and Dagger Pt.2

"We're doing our best. We've all got a bigger workload lately," Ciaran muttered. "I'd better just leave her to Ma for a while..."

"... I'll take her," Sam murmured, coming to his brother to take the little cub.

"Are you sure?" Ciaran raised an eyebrow, watching his brother so easily bundle the little girl up, surprised as she seemed to settle.

"You get back to work. I need th'Rangers ready sooner rather'n later. I'll get 'er fed an' see 'er off t'Ma an' Da. They'd like t'spend some time with 'er anyway," Sam insisted quietly.
 
Sam had an easy way with babies and it seemed that Dana was no exception. She still looked upset, but her whimpering had stopped as a frazzled looking Ciaran seemed slightly relieved.

"I'll make sure he doesn't do a bad job." Fiona said softly, trying to make Ciaran relax a little bit more. "She's in good hands with us. It gives him practice for when Rho's child comes along."
 
"But aren't you two spending time together right now?"

"We have time," Sam assured him before looking to Gonari. "Do you have everythin' you need?"
 
"For now. I know where to find you if there are questions." Gonari said as she closed her journal. "We should have something ready for you to view in a few days. Fiona's dress might take a bit longer because we have to send out for the fabrics."
 
"Go on and take care of my granddaughter before I have to have a word with you as well." Gonari murmured as she kissed Sam's cheek and sent them all on their way.

Fiona offered to take Dana from Sam as they left the shop, but it seemed that he was content to hold his niece while they went to get the cub something to eat.
 
"They've wanted her for a long time," Sam murmured, thinking of Justin and Ciaran. "I'm not going t' blame myself for keeping them so busy... but I wish I could rely on someone with fewer other responsibilities t'do Ciaran's work."
 
"He'll never blame you." Fiona said as Dana squirmed and started to cry out her frustration at her hungry belly. "Nor should you feel guilty for having them do the job that they have accepted. It will just take some getting used to on everyone's part."
 
"They just need t'learn that when they're busy, the rest of us are here for them. Even me." Sam didn't seem too bothered by Dana's crying, though he picked up his pace to make it to the keep. Having looked after his youngest sisters for years, he seemed a natural at looking after a baby and he led the way to the kitchen where he neatly put together a bottle for little Dana who hadn't quite yet graduated to soft foods.
 
Dana started eating hungrily the moment that the makeshift bottle was offered. Her little paws helped to hold it, her eyes watching her uncle closely. Fiona had to chuckle at the sight of her strapping fiancee cradling such a small baby against his chest.

As Dana was finishing her meal, Julia entered the kitchens with little Brogan, pausing when she saw Sam there with Dana. "Did your brother finally admit defeat? Annie brought Bridget this morning so she could take the boys riding. It seems I have all my little loves with me right now."

The tiny prince was sleeping peacefully for the moment, his blanket loosely wrapped around him and his little hands still covered in mitts.
 
"I just took her and told him to do what he needed," Sam explained quietly, setting aside the bottle when Dana finished. "He an' Justin 'ave a lot o' work t'finish up before we're ready fer a coronation 'r setting up a winter defensive line. We'll need the Rangers most of all in th'snow."

Sam looked to Fiona. "An' Fiona's puttin' up with me cuttin' our morning t'gether short."
 
"I haven't complained yet." Fiona said with a shrug of his shoulders as Brogan appeared in the door shortly behind Julie, Bridget in his arms.

Bridget was bright and cheerful, giggling at something her grandfather had done with wild abandon. Almost one year old, the little girl was definitely a bright spot in their lives.
 
"Most handful bunch o' cousins yet," Sam commented as his father stepped in with a smile. "I suppose if you two're busy with Brogan an' Bridget, I'm stuck with Dana fer a while."
 
"Sam, if you want to spend the day with her, all you have to do is say so." Julia said with a smile. "We just came to get Bridget something to eat. Brogan ate his broth just a short time ago. Mariko, Alex, and Vincenzo are giving Kate a complete looking over so we took her to save her the stress. He's been perfect so far."
 
"If yer sure..." Sam murmured, only for Brogan to take the little cub from them.

"Haven' gotten much time with this one yet," Brogan said with a smile. With a handful of grandchildren now and more time to give them, he was looking better and better.
 
"We're sure." Julia said with a smile towards her son as Brogan moved to take Dana from his arms, Bridget so curious about her new cousin that was suddenly clinging to their grandfather's broad shoulder.

Dana's tiny little hands gripped Brogan's tunic, her little cheek pressed against his warmth. She was fed and quietly content for the moment. Julia chuckled as Bridget reached over and touched her cousin's soft fur, confused as to why she looked so different.

"How is little Brogan?" Fiona asked softly as she noticed the little cub sleeping in his grandmother's arms.

"Switching his food seems to have made him feel better enough to sleep from time to time, but he's still ill." Julia said, glancing towards Sam and Fiona. "For the moment, we're having a good day."
 
"Speaking of," Sam spoke up, "I sent out some letters to our allies, askin' fer anyone tha' migh' have some ideas of how t'help Mariko figure this out. There migh' be some people out there who 'ave seen this. I 'ad Mariko write a detailed report about it so we could be specific."
 
"Whatever happens will happen with this little one." Julia said softly as she looked down at little Brogan as he twitched slightly in his sleep, little dreams making him mobile for a moment before he settled again. "However, I hope that we can figure things out with your sister. She has worked herself to the very edge of a cliff."
 
"I know... I see it in 'er eyes. It's all too familiar." Sam glanced to Fiona before taking her hand. "But things 'ave settled fer a bit... I'll make sure it all stays quiet."
 
Fiona squeezed Sam's hand as he took her own. She knew that he had the world on his shoulders, but he was determined to keep it all together for his family. Brogan looked so much more at ease as he got Bridget settled in a chair, a meal placed in front of her that she was soon eating without complaint.

"My grandfather used to talk about a sleeping illness that effected the were. I don't know that it's been seen here in Scotland for a while, but it would make a person exhausted and sluggish. He would tease me about it when I didn't want to wake up in the mornings, but it was very real." Fiona said softly, unsure of what else she could offer to them.
 
"Any lead is worth checking on. I'll ask Mariko about it," Brogan nodded before sending them off. "Enjoy yerselves, kids."
 
Fiona nodded as Sam led her out of the kitchens. "Well, what do we do for the rest of the day?" Fiona asked, looking up at him as she gave his hand another squeeze.
 
Meeting her gaze briefly, Fiona could see he was tired from all the preparations for his taking over the throne. While he'd been sleeping fairly well, it wasn't quite enough rest for his overworked mind.

"I wouldn' mind wandering off somewhere in th' woods an' fallin' asleep fer a few months," he muttered.
 
“To my cabin then?” Fiona asked him, knowing that Will would still be gone on patrol by the time that they got there. “I will protect you from all of those that would demand your attention.”
 
Sam's simple answer was a grateful kiss and he let her lead the way into town. People along the way seemed surprised to see Sam out and about without a patrol or not in his full uniform. It wasn't odd to see the royal family in Inverness, to the point that most people really did treat them as just fellow humans and people, no more. But Sam was the black sheep, having never appeared in public since the age of thirteen without either soldiers around him on patrol, or clearly on business in uniform. It had made him a symbol of the law as much as the very enforcer, so some folk were a bit skittish of him. Seeing him in civilian clothes and clearly not on some mission made a few people pause in confusion.
 
Back
Top