Collar comfort.

missmixalot

Really Experienced
Attending an event for a weekend so spending two days wearing nothing but a collar. I have a leather one and wonderibg if there is any treatment to make it softer. The event is in two weeks.

Attending an event for a weekend so spending two days wearing nothing but a collar. I have a leather one and wonderibg if there is any treatment to make it softer. The event is in two weeks.

Is it lined?
My cuffs were made for me and lined in... sheepskin, felt? I'm not sure what, but they were super soft, and not hot.

Thank you

You are welcome.
Just happens to be in my wheelhouse.

I'm assuming you are new to leather care so please forgive me if you already know this.

If you just have one or two pieces I would start with the horseman's one step. It's relatively inexpensive and will last you a while - it's also one step.

The Obenaufs and liquid oils will both need the leather to be soaped before hand. I prefer a glycerine based saddle soap, but Murphy's Oil Soap is good too.

Last edited:
I agree with cfurhrer completely.

Neatsfoot oil is my go to for soften stiff leather into a workable state, and is not a skin irritant. Just make sure you get PURE neatsfoot oil. Others may have additional preservatives or chemicals added that you might react to.

As for liners, I'm rather partial to fleece. It breathes, doesn't absorb sweat, and is very soft as well as resilient. But everyone is different.

I agree with cfurhrer completely.

Neatsfoot oil is my go to for soften stiff leather into a workable state, and is not a skin irritant. Just make sure you get PURE neatsfoot oil. Others may have additional preservatives or chemicals added that you might react to.

As for liners, I'm rather partial to fleece. It breathes, doesn't absorb sweat, and is very soft as well as resilient. But everyone is different.

Fleece. That's it. :heart:
Very soft.

You are welcome.
Just happens to be in my wheelhouse.

I'm assuming you are new to leather care so please forgive me if you already know this.

If you just have one or two pieces I would start with the horseman's one step. It's relatively inexpensive and will last you a while - it's also one step.

The Obenaufs and liquid oils will both need the leather to be soaped before hand. I prefer a glycerine based saddle soap, but Murphy's Oil Soap is good too.

I have had a few collars around my neck but this is for a weekend exrience so I will be collared for an extended period and Sir has wants a black leather collar for me. I would like to make it soft and comfortable.

Interesting.. don't do such things now (at least with men) but the discomfort used to be part of the ride :)

Interesting.. don't do such things now (at least with men) but the discomfort used to be part of the ride :)

I like to be comfortable in my discomfort. I have used posture collars and even a metal one but they were for short periods of time. This is for two dsys

I like to be comfortable in my discomfort. I have used posture collars and even a metal one but they were for short periods of time. This is for two dsys

Like many things on Lit , there is no 'right' or 'wrong', a bit of chafing might be seen as a bonus by some, especially for a short period of a few days .. but each to their own :)
I look forward to the 'trip report' :)

Like many things on Lit , there is no 'right' or 'wrong', a bit of chafing might be seen as a bonus by some, especially for a short period of a few days .. but each to their own :)
I look forward to the 'trip report' :)

I may not post a trip report but you can always pm me and I might share with you. You serm nice ;)

Wearing it a lot seems to have softened mine up a bit, although I do take it off to shower; leather + water = eep! There may be leather softening methods you can look in to.

sissy has several leather collars, uses neatsfoot oil on the inside carefully, they have spikes on the inside and do not want to damage them.

Seems oiling is the best solution.

Yes oil is one of the best. It is often used for unbroken leather wear as in shoes/slippers and needs a couple of days to week at most.

You can use masking tapes on corners that are sharp or use some sandpapering and polish/dye to give it clean look.

The edges (flat right angle) are the culprits for chaffing ... you can also brush it (brush it continuously like long polish) after applying wax - that will help round the edges.

Yes oil is one of the best. It is often used for unbroken leather wear as in shoes/slippers and needs a couple of days to week at most.

You can use masking tapes on corners that are sharp or use some sandpapering and polish/dye to give it clean look.

The edges (flat right angle) are the culprits for chaffing ... you can also brush it (brush it continuously like long polish) after applying wax - that will help round the edges.
Thank you. Sounds good advice.

Back