Old Yesterday, 12:15 AM   #1
BeginningAuthor
Experienced

Number of views

Hi everyone,

I have recently (last weekend) published my first story here in the Romance category. The ratings are around 4.45 and after a week there has been 5100 views.

I'm not getting any comments (good or bad) so I cannot tell how well the story is actually doing. How it compares against others and what I should change in my writing/style/etc. in order to make subsequent stories better.

Any hints on how I can determine what people do or don't like about my story and how I can improve?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
See all my published stories:
https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Let me know what you think about them.

Old Yesterday, 12:31 AM   #2
vanmyers86
Experienced

Congrats on your first story! That's always a leap of faith, so good on you for putting yourself out there.

I read it and will PM you.

Van

Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM   #3
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeginningAuthor View Post
Hi everyone,

I have recently (last weekend) published my first story here in the Romance category. The ratings are around 4.45 and after a week there has been 5100 views.

I'm not getting any comments (good or bad) so I cannot tell how well the story is actually doing. How it compares against others and what I should change in my writing/style/etc. in order to make subsequent stories better.

Any hints on how I can determine what people do or don't like about my story and how I can improve?
Not much, except write your next story, and don't try to second guess reader reactions. If you want more considered feedback (from writers here) start a thread in the Feedback Forum.

Expect around one vote per by hundred views, one comment per thousand - unless your story is very very good or very very bad ; then you'll get more comments. Right now, you're in the middle of the bell curve.

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

E-books and print books available from: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/A_A_Cain

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM   #4
TarnishedPenny
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue66 View Post
Not much, except write your next story, and don't try to second guess reader reactions. If you want more considered feedback (from writers here) start a thread in the Feedback Forum.

Expect around one vote per by hundred views, one comment per thousand - unless your story is very very good or very very bad ; then you'll get more comments. Right now, you're in the middle of the bell curve.
Agreed, but with one caveat. Your story is in Romance, where most readers are sane and polite.

If it's just a question of getting comments, Loving Wives has a reputation of bringing buckets of shrieking, personal and nasty invective down on authors, regardless of the merits of the story. As well, the inclusion of some acts is almost guaranteed to bring immediate negative comments, in particular gay male sex anywhere outside of Gay Male and any form of incest in a story anywhere but in Incest/Taboo.

Congratulations on your start. I do hope there is more to follow.

All my stories

My latest story: House of Feathers Ch 24: An Unexpected Proposal

Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM   #5
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Hi everyone,

If you want feedback, post a request in the Feedback Forum with a link to your story. That's a better way of getting meaningful, in depth responses, usually from other authors.

ElectricBlue66's estimate of average comments per views is significantly higher than mine. My stories average far fewer than 1 comment per 1,000 views. So it's not unusual that you would have few to no comments for a story with 5000+ views.

In terms of what's "normal," you have to keep in mind that story readership varies greatly by category. Many incest stories receive far more than 5000 views in a day, and some have over 100,000 views within a week. 5000 views in a little over a week sounds pretty good for a story published in the romance category.

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #6
Voboy
Literotica Guru

I almost never get comments unless a story strikes some sort of chord, which isn’t something I can predict. Maybe others can, but not I. I take what I get and am grateful when the comments happen.

The key, to me, has always been to write what I like and not post anything I wouldn’t want to read myself. That way, the comments don’t really matter. Nor the votes, if you think about it.

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM   #7
Ada Stuart
Virgin

Comments

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I see that you have received at least one comment :-)

I remember your story. I liked it really well so I'm anxiously wanting for ch 2 (I added you to my Favorite list so I'll know when it's available :-)). You write well and very fluently, although I'm not usually fond of reading stories in 1.person - but that's just my opinion so don't put too much weight on that.

As for the numbers of comments, I don't get many either, but I've found that it helps to ask for comments at the end of each chapter. Still, the Romance category is a lot "safer" than many other categories, and you do get more comments there than in Novels & Novellas.

Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #8
eroticstoryspinner
Experienced

Something I have just discovered is I have been getting a lot of email feedback that has been going into SPAM. So you might want to update your spam filters. I have also created a dedicated email address for LIT

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #9
BeginningAuthor
Experienced

Thank you everyone

It is nice to receive the positive thoughts, comments, and the constructive criticism I have received here and through PM. I am making a list and will check it twice in the future before posting additional works. I have already finished with the 2nd little piece of this story and have submitted it for publication here on Lit. It will probably will read about the same and have the same issues, but moving forward I will improve.

For some reason, but I didn't see the Feedback group until it was mentioned to some of your replies. I'll use that going forward for general feedback.

I will continue to write what I want to read going forward, this is one of the things I like so much about this site - except for a few topics, the audience here is receptive to a large variety of story topics.

Thanks for letting me join your community and I hope you notice my writing improving posting by posting.

All comments and thoughts are always wanted and sometimes welcomed.

Thanks again.

See all my published stories:
https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Let me know what you think about them.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #10
PoisonPen33
Virgin

I commented on your story, however I did it from mobile so I don't know if it went through, didn't go through, or if it did go through but there's a delay on comments being posted?

I like the second person point-of-view. It's very rare to see that in any story, and your use of it...just works. Very "you are there."

Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM   #11
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonPen33 View Post
I commented on your story, however I did it from mobile so I don't know if it went through, didn't go through, or if it did go through but there's a delay on comments being posted?

I like the second person point-of-view. It's very rare to see that in any story, and your use of it...just works. Very "you are there."
It's actually first person. The narrator uses "I" to describe himself and his point of view, although the story is addressed to another person described using "you." That's first person POV, not second person.

First person: I love you. Or I love him.
Third person: She loves him.
SEcond person: You love him.