Old 07-29-2018, 05:55 AM   #1
Bebop3
Really Experienced

Paying an Editor

Hi!

Have you ever paid to have your writing edited? I've been considering having a freelance professional edit something I've been working on, but I'm a bit concerned.

I've been looking into a editors on a site where they have their services and prices listed and it's astonishing how many of them have a poor grasp of the English language demonstrated in the services they offer.

Have you ever worked with a professional freelance editor? What was their fee structure like? Were you satisfied with their efforts?

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Boxlicker101
Licker of Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop3 View Post
Hi!

Have you ever paid to have your writing edited? I've been considering having a freelance professional edit something I've been working on, but I'm a bit concerned.

I've been looking into a editors on a site where they have their services and prices listed and it's astonishing how many of them have a poor grasp of the English language demonstrated in the services they offer.

Have you ever worked with a professional freelance editor? What was their fee structure like? Were you satisfied with their efforts?

Thanks!
If a person claims to be an editor and has a "poor grasp of the English language," that is somebody you definitely do not want editing your work.

I have always done my own editing and, occasionally, editing for somebody else, but there has never been any expectation of payment. I am referring here strictly to other authors on Lit.

The Rest of My Smut

Dirty old man.

Old 07-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
BentonVirtus
Virgin

During my career, I worked with offshore freelance technical writers and content editors from India, Jordan, UAE and the Philippines. Quality was highly variable, and unsurprisingly, you get what you pay for. My best results were from firms, not individuals, in India. All these engagements were for professional documentation or non-fiction content, not for fiction prose.

There are different types of editors, of course. If all you're looking for is technical editing (spelling, grammar, usage, sentence structure, etc.) then you might find a helpful resource at low cost. Of course, you might find a volunteer editor, here.

If it was me, I would take a pass on freelance sites. I might try to hook up with a sharp local journalism student, either through Fiverr, Craigslist or the opportunities office at a local university. One would likely get more attention at low cost, and at the same time, help a student build their resume.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
Bebop3
Really Experienced

Thank you, Benton. Fiverr was the site I was looking at.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
astuffedshirt_perv
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop3 View Post
Thank you, Benton. Fiverr was the site I was looking at.
i used fiverr. A lot of the editors won't touch erotica. I got one that did and s/he was wonderful.

My stories: A Stuffed Shirt Perv

Achieved Lovecraf68's coveted "That's the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard" status in Nov 2013

Old 07-29-2018, 11:40 PM   #6
BentonVirtus
Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentonVirtus View Post
I might try to hook up with a sharp local journalism student, either through ...
It occurs to me that this is a pretty good idea for a story.

Imagine a young, female journalism student who works part-time as an editor for an erotic fiction author. Over time, her interest is piqued by the author's impressive imagination and description of sexual encounters. Hi-jinks ensue.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:20 AM   #7
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentonVirtus View Post
It occurs to me that this is a pretty good idea for a story.

Imagine a young, female journalism student who works part-time as an editor for an erotic fiction author. Over time, her interest is piqued by the author's impressive imagination and description of sexual encounters. Hi-jinks ensue.
Ey, Up, Lads.
Another Plot bunny

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259