Sailing?

Bebop3

Really Experienced
Does anyone know how far a 30' cabin cruiser can travel without refueling?

Thanks!

Indeterminate, sorry.

It depends on a lot of things - hull shape and condition, size and type of motor, size of fuel tanks (not all are the same), weather and water conditions, speed, type and condition of props, etc.

A quick look online gives answers from 150nm to ten times that.

crusing

alldepends on hull design, engine HP, gassor diesel and at what speed you cruse. then add in sea conditions, wind and weather

giphy.gif

Will you have the engine running?

I apologize for butchering the nomenclature. It should be (I guess) 'boating' instead of sailing. Engine the whole time. No sails.

Thanks!

My dad used to take me sailing, I would guess forever. If you are going to motor, until you run out of fuel. That is like me asking how far I can drive my car before it runs out of gas. My car is about 16 feet long.

You can get from here to there. But of course once you get there you will be here.

Boats are very thirsty beasts when on plane if a power boat.

A 30 ft boat would have a very large engine, either diesel or gas. My 19' fishing boat with a 200hp engine burns through 8 US gallons/hour at 33MPH. A very large boat would probably cruise a bit slower than that but burn far more fuel.

If you get the particulars on the boat and engine(s) and google performance tests you can probably find something close.

Thanks!

On a river, going downstream - a long way, going upstream a lot less across an ocean a 5 HP seagull will go forever on a gallon - an old lifeboat with twin catapillars maybe gallons to the NM - my dad had a 9hp Renault that went forever - very slowly (but we sailed too)
Thats all of This kids nautical knowledge on engines - I can rig a sail blindfolded though!!

Google: cabin cruiser range

Find: Boating Magazine: Comparing Cruisers

Examples:
28 Feet: Bayliner 285 SB...

Class Advantage: Many stay within a beam of 8 feet 6 inches, and a 28-foot cruiser is still small enough to tow with a full-size vehicle.

Specs
LOA: 28'7" Beam: 9'11" Displacement (lb.): 8,056 Fuel Capacity: 89 gal. Max Horsepower: 380 Range at Cruising Speed: 142 nm Berths: 6

Price: $96,305 (with MerCruiser 350 Mag)

32 Feet: Cobalt 323...

Class Advantage: While actual sleeping capacity isn’t much more than on a 28-footer, a larger cockpit and cabin provide more daytime fun for a larger crew.

Specs
LOA: 32'10" (w/o swim platform) Beam: 10'7" Displacement (lb.): 12,300 Fuel Capacity: 174 gal. Max Horsepower: 860 Range at Cruising Speed: 217 nm Berths: 2

Price: $266,577 (with twin MerCruiser 496 Mag MPI)
So the 28 footer's cruising range is 142 nm and the 32 footer's is 217 nm. Go slower to go further.

Keep in mind that a boat is a hole in the water into which one shovels money. So said my father-in-law, commodore at a yacht club. Driving between San Jose and Sacramento is much faster and cheaper than boating that route. I think his stinkpot made it without refueling. Took forever.

Also, you don't sail a cabin cruiser. You only sail, sail boats.
Propel propel propel your craft
Gently down liquid solution
Ecstatically ecstatically ecstatically ecstatically
Existence is but an illusion

Propel propel propel your craft
Gently down liquid solution
Ecstatically ecstatically ecstatically ecstatically
Existence is but an illusion

A rowboat is not a rowboat without oars
Put a motor on the back of a rowboat and it becomes a motorboat
Make the motorboat 28ft long and add a superstructure and it's a cabin cruiser
Add a mast along with a sail to a cruiser and it becomes a sailboat

Make the rowboat pointy at both ends and it's a canoe

My 41' Tiara has 3208 435 hp caterpillar engines. 528 gallons of diesel at 90% of eligible fuel supply yields 325 mile range at 24 mph - that is 500 rpms off the pins.

My 41' Tiara has 3208 435 hp caterpillar engines. 528 gallons of diesel at 90% of eligible fuel supply yields 325 mile range at 24 mph - that is 500 rpms off the pins.

Do you need a new friend? Platonic, of course :).

Sure - as long as you bring a couple of females with ya! :)

That could be a challenge. My wife and I could bring BBQ and libations?

Seriously though, I had a contracting gig where I was instrumenting two Yanmar diesels on a fairly small Navy boat. They were 6HYs if I recall correctly. It was thrilling listening to them and feeling them. I'll bet those Cats are inspiring too.

If pplwatching is there, count me in, too! Today is the perfect day to be on the water. Instead, I'm sitting kiddie-pool side sipping on a Loaded Corona and listening to Bennie and the Jets.

Put a model sail boat in and enjoy your time with your sprouts. It goes by so fast.

Back