Outlaws to the End (HotCider & heartofcourage)

Elizabeth turned to grab her dress, intent on coving herself up since she was playing nurse now. Ian might be disappointed, but she had to be practical about things. Once she was buttoned up again, she turned back to watch Ian stare out the window. He was certainly a dreamer. She wondered if in another time and place Ian might not have thrived as an artist or a writer.

"We'll take things as they come." She said as he swore that they were going to ride straight through to Vegas. "You know that all of our plans get derailed in some way or another."

Once the bed was out and Ian was settled back down, she smiled and turned to soak another rag in cool water. When talked turned to marriage, she dropped the rag back into the sink, looking at Ian as he asked her what her dream wedding would be. That talk seemed incredibly serious, but the more that she thought about it, the more welcome it seemed.

"Hmmmm....my ideal wedding?" She asked as she picked up the rag again and returned to Ian's side, sitting down gently to not disturb him. "I don't want a lot of people there watching us. I'd like to at least be a blonde again. As far as where...I guess I never really thought about it that much."

"Stephen insisted that we get married in a big church in Chicago so he could invite all of his business associates. I'm sure he would have picked out the dress, the flowers, everything. I always imagined something small. Maybe outdoors. Somewhere sunny and warm."

Ian smiled at her decision. “I was hopin’ you’d say that. A big weddin’ might be a little awkward, seein’ how I don’t have any family that’d come.”

“All right. Outside; sunny; I’m thinkin’ in a meadow in the late spring or early summer. It’ll be warm and there’ll be wild flowers everywhere,” he told her.

He turned his head to take in her beautiful face with his rich, dark chocolate eyes. “We haven’t been derailed yet. We’re still on our way to Vegas, and I’m gonna show you that dreams do come true—our dreams at least. You got away from your chump of a husband, got to see more of America than you’d ever imagine, and you’re now workin’ your way to Vegas with a fiancé as manly as they come.”

His smile stretched a little further at his self-praising comment. “It’s happenin’ baby. You may not see it, but I do, and I don’t mind pointin’ it out. We’ve had some short-comings but we’re both still alive, and what don’t kill you makes you stronger, right?”

It was hard sounding so confident, but it made him feel good. He never knew what sort of trouble or obstacle they’d run into, but if there was one thing that he knew was true and he was determined to make happen, it was them both reaching Vegas and getting married. At that point, Ian didn’t even think The Devil would stop him from making that dream a reality.

Elizabeth listened to his beautiful little dream of what their wedding would be like. She believed him. he had so much conviction in his voice that she knew that he would make it happen, come hell or high water. She snuggled against his side with a sigh, her tired eyes closing as he continued to talk about their future together.

It was only a few moments later that she was asleep, dreaming about a beautiful wedding on a sunny day in a field of wild flowers. Her handsome coffee eyed groom was dressed to the nines and she was in a dress that she had picked out herself. That was what should be, she thought to herself. That was the wedding of her dreams.

Ian had talked to Elizabeth until she fell asleep against his side. He turned his lips to her forehead and gave it a kiss before he exhaled a deep sigh and stared up at the ceiling of the train car until his eyes grew heavy and he had joined her in dream land. The following morning, Ian slept longer than usual, which wasn’t too unusual until when it came time for meals. His wounds, although having stopped bleeding, were aching and his body trying so desperately to recover left him feeling exhausted. Ian had lost his appetite, and at times would even refuse sips of water. All he did was sleep, and he hadn’t meant to leave his lady alone.

The trip had taken roughly two days and for those two days, Ian had barely functioned. He would at times rise to use the chamber pot, and then would be back to lying across the bed. When the train finally stopped in Denver, they weren’t able to do what Ian had wished. Even in his weak state, he tried to persuade Elizabeth to keep going, and of course, didn’t win. Ian ended up back in the hospital, lying in a bed on drugs as he continued his gradual recovery.

The bank robber was scowling up at the hospital ceiling as the steady beat of his heart monitor melded into background noise. An IV had kept him well-hydrated and he was back to eating. Regardless, like with his last hospital stay, he wanted to leave. The days he had wasted there were grating on his nerves. They needed to get to Vegas and then he needed to marry her. It had always been the pain killers that made Ian feel somewhat like his old self. Once the pain was numbed, he felt as though he could do anything, but his body had shown otherwise. He wasn’t as strong as he had been before the bank robbery. He had become so thin and light that he might have weighed less than Elizabeth.

“I wanna get out of here,” Ian told Elizabeth, and it was something he seemed to tell her every day for every day he tried to convince her that he was better and wasn’t going to be sick anymore. “If you’re worried, we can take some medicine with us. There’s nothin’ special that these nurses do that you or I can’t do ourselves. I’m not gettin’ any healthier layin’ here all day.”

Elizabeth cared and nursed Ian to the best of her abilities. The problem was she didn't have what he needed at her disposal. He was in pain, he was listless, and he was weak. She made him eat, forcing water down him when he was stubborn. She was terrified. She thought that she might lose him on that train ride to Denver.

When they finally got off the train, she forced him back into the hospital. They had plans, that much as true, but having Ian healthy again was what was most important to her. He was grumpy and growled at her all the time, but she refused to budge. He would not be getting out of that bed until he was able to function without her help.

"I don't want to hear it, Ian." Elizabeth said as he started in on her again. "You talked me out of a hospital once already. We aren't leaving until the doctor says you can."

Elizabeth had occupied her time with books. She was reading Pride and Prejudice that day, losing herself in the love story between Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. It, at the very least, drowned out Ian's constant grumbling.

Ian had eventually given in when his girlfriend resorted to ignoring him. He sat there quietly in the hospital bed, staring across the room with a look as though he were slowly wasting away, and every now and then he’d fall asleep just to pass time, hoping that for every day that rolled by he would grow closer to recovery. She had no idea what laying in a hospital bed did to him. It made him feel useless—useless to her and a burden. After countless past speeches however, he knew that she didn’t see him that way. She was worried sick about him, and he had to learn how to appreciate it for not long ago, there wasn’t a single person on this earth that had given a damn.

His brown eyes rolled from the wall to settle on the book that she had been reading. She had been engrossed in it for a few days now and having no other entertainment, he couldn’t help but feel a little desperate.

“Whatcha’ readin’?” Ian questioned.

Elizabeth's blue gaze looked over the top of the book as Ian asked her what she was reading. She ragarded him for a moment, wondering if he was about to launch into another session of begging to leave. It looked like he was calm, she thought, as she slowly let the book lower from her face.

"Pride and Prejudice." She said softly as she pushed herself out of her seat, her new blue dress falling around her legs as she made her way to the bed. "Ever read it?"

She sat on the edge of his bed before carefully lifting her legs to lay along side him. She pressed a kiss to his cheek, giving him a smile. She was proud of how he was handling himself. She refused to let him suffer anymore when they had the time and the resources to make sure that he healed well. He had almost died, multiple times, but he had pulled through each and every time.

“No,” Ian replied. “What’s it about?”

He watched her climb into bed next to him and it had felt good to feel her soft lips against his skin again. The bank robber turned in the bed to face her with a content smile. He reached out to rest his hand upon her hip before running his fingers down the material of her dress.

“That dress makes your hair stand out like a rose against the sky.”

Speaking of hair, Ian narrowed his eyes as he noticed some gold about her roots. He lightly brushed his fingers against her scalp so that she could feel where he noticed her blonde.

“Your blonde’s comin’ back. I don’t think anyone’s noticed it yet but me.”

"It's about a woman named Elizabeth Bennett who meets a man named Mr. Darcy. At first, she thinks that he's stuffy and pompous, but then she starts to realize that there is more to him then she ever thought." Elizabeth said as she grinned at Ian, pleased to see the smile on his own grin.

She let out a sigh as she placed his hand on her hip, his warm fingers trailing down her thigh. She missed the man that she had come to love on their journey together and in that very moment, she knew that he was returning to her. The compliment that he offered her made her grin even wider. Slowly, she reached over to place the book on his bedside table, giving him her full attention.

"I miss my gold locks." She said softly as he made comment about her blonde coming back. "I know it's dangerous to look like myself, but I miss being your sunshine."

“Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, eh?” Ian chuckled at the irony.

I miss my gold locks…I know it’s dangerous to look like myself, but I miss being your sunshine.

“You will always be my sunshine,” said Ian with a smile. “And you don’t need no blonde hair to be it. You just gotta be this beautiful woman in front of me.”

He continued to stroke her thigh, having missed her warmth. He missed her touch. The hospital bed had felt like an island in the middle of the ocean and his love was back on land.

“Sleep with me. I’ll feel better if you do. I don’t care what the nurse says. I want you under these blankets and in my arms as I rest.”

Elizabeth couldn't help but grin as Ian mentioned that she didn't need her blonde hair to be his sunshine. "Well, look at you getting all sappy and sentimental."

It had been a long, hard road to recovery for Ian. This situation was something that she never wanted to be put in again. While they hadn't discussed it yet, she was prepared to tell him that his bank robbing days were over. They would settle down somewhere, have a nice little life with actual careers. When the time was right, she would reach back out to her family and perhaps they could be a part of the new life that she wanted so much.

"I'll stay, but the first time the doctor says that it isn't good for your health, I'm right back in my chair over there." She finally agreed, leaning forward across the hospital bed to kiss him gently. "And I mean that, Ian. Your health and you getting better means so much more to me than our creature comforts."

Ian smiled and raised his blankets so that Elizabeth could crawl under and get comfortable against him. Once she was lying against his chest, he crossed his arms at the small of her back and kissed her succulent lips.

“Mm, I missed you,” Ian moaned. “If the doc says that you’re not good for my health, then the doc is nuts.”

He ran his hands over her body: up and down her back, rounding the curve of her bottom, and then gently squeezing her thighs. Easing his head back, Ian closed his eyes and sighed in content.

“I think I can sleep comfortably now.”

The bank robber hadn’t been lying when he said that he felt that he could sleep. She might have noticed, while getting cozy that once Ian had closed his eyes that he was out like a light and the smile that graced his lips had been a breath of fresh air.

It was after one extra week that Ian was released from the hospital. Back in his own clothes and no longer in that hospital gown, Ian dropped to his knees once he was outside and rested his forehead against the cement sidewalk.

“Thank God,” Ian breathed.

He felt like someone who had been stranded on an island in the middle of nowhere and he had just returned to civilization. His clothes that had once fit him were loose and hung from his slender frame. Closing his eyes, Ian said to Elizabeth, “I don’t ever wanna wind up in a hospital again.”

Slowly, Ian lifted his head from the sidewalk and sat back on his calves to take in the city of Denver. If it hadn’t been for the enormous rockies in the background, then he would have described Denver to be no different than all the other cities they had visited. His eyes were slightly more sensitive to the sun, having been confined to a room for so long. He squinted his eyes against the harsh glare and wasn’t too hesitant about sharing his thoughts with his lover.

“I wanna sink my teeth into the biggest and messiest burger in this city and get right back on the train.”

As the two of them stepped out of the hospital on that bright morning, Elizabeth watched as Ian dropped to his knees and kissed the ground. She let out a sigh, watching as he over exaggerated like normal. He had been moody and agitated in the hospital, but now that he was healed, she hoped that things would get better for him.

"You are such a big baby." Elizabeth teased, as she watched him lift his head from the sidewalk and look out towards the city.

Denver was truly beautiful and the mountains in the background seemed to shine purple in the sunlight. She wouldn't have minded spending some more time in the city, but Ian chimed in right then, telling her he wanted a hamburger and a train ticket.

"We'll get you the burger. Then, we're going to get you some new clothes that actually fit. After that, we're checking into a hotel. I want one night in a nice soft bed before I get back on a train." Elizabeth insisted, looking down at him with an upward tilt to her lips. "Besides, if you're really good, I might let you take me for a spin in that nice soft bed."

Elizabeth had other plans for them, which didn’t exactly disappoint him. They could use some clothes. Lord knows they wear out their outfits every chance they get. Standing, he approached her with a soft smile as she talked about wanting to sleep in a comfy bed. He ran his fingers through her red locks, inspecting how her dye was holding up.

“I needa’ get back in shape. You gonna train me?” Ian asked with a smirk. “I could barely keep up with you last time.”

Dropping his hand, he added, “We can get you some more dye. I know you don’t wanna do it, but it’s to protect you. Don’t worry; there’s gonna be a time where you won’t hafta’ hide anymore.”

He smiled and pressed a slow, lingering kiss to her lips. A few couples walking by wrinkled their noses at their open behavior, but as usual, neither Ian and he knew neither Elizabeth cared.

“You get tired of red, you can pick something else. Although, I really do think you look good in red. You’re like my candy apple sunshine.”

Ian grinned playfully at her and the new title he had affectionately given her. Tightening his belt, Ian slung an arm behind her and said, “Let’s go before I hafta’ loosen this belt.”

They were getting too randy—as usual. She was a woman he would never grow tired of. Absolutely beautiful in every aspect. He walked with her, side-by-side, held snuggly against his body. He figured that she wanted them to look somewhat decent when they go out for burgers, so they walked along the sidewalk, window shopping for some nice clothes. He wasn’t going for the suit and tie business this time. He wanted something casual. Something he didn’t feel ashamed about getting messy in—for now. In Vegas, he was certain that they would shop again.

A red plaid shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the crook of his elbows, a brown leather belt, and some blue jeans. Ian was back to looking like a handsome country boy, and it felt good for he hadn’t worn such clothes since the day they first met. He left the top button of his shirt undone to show the tops of his collar bones. His time in the hospital had given him some shadow on his face, making him appear slightly more rugged than usual. He stood before Elizabeth with his hands on his hips as though waiting her approval.

“I’ll be able to fill this out a little better in a month or so.”

Elizabeth grinned as Ian rose and came towards her, running his hand through her hair. "Well, I'm not so sure you can keep up with me now either, but I'll let you have a shot."

She was a little disappointed when he talked about the hair dye, but she knew that he had a point. She needed to hide for the time being. If she were caught now, their nice little life would be over and she would be back in a gilded prison. The idea was made all the more pleasant as Ian pressed a slow kiss against her lips, a sigh leaving her lips as he showed the whole world just how much he loved her.

"As long as I get to be your sunshine again some time soon, I really don't care what color we choose." She said as he wrapped his arm around her.

Her head threw back and she laughed as he threatened to loosen his belt right then and there. Ian was a man that very well might do that. He held her tightly as they walked, her head resting against his shoulder. He truly was the love of her life. She had never met a more honest and loving man as Ian Darcy before. She would have done anything for him and she knew that he would have done the same for her.

Once they had found a spot for shopping, she allowed Ian to pick out his own clothing. She looked through the racks for something for herself. She had her eye out for another yellow sundress, one like Ian had first picked out for her when they had started their journey. When he was dressed, she turned from her search and gave him a grin as she looked him over from head to toes.

"Well, don't you look handsome." She said as she reached to straighten his collar. "Don't worry, Ian. I'll make sure that you fill it out. All the good food that you can handle."

Don’t worry, Ian. I’ll make sure that you fill it out. All the good food that you can handle.

Woo wee don’t say that. You might encourage me to exceed your expectations,” Ian then turned his head to the side to hide the blush that warmed his cheeks and the humorous smile. “I’m not sure you’d love me then. I’d be more than you can handle.”

His hands were on her hips as she straightened his collar, his fingers affectionately giving them a light squeeze before he curiously asked, “Now what are you gonna wear, sweet girl? I know…”

Ian leaned between her arms until his bristly cheek touched her soft one and whispered naughtily in her ear, “How about some lace and garters?”

"Are you blushing, Mr. Darcy? I never thought I'd see the day when little ole me made you blush." Elizabeth murmured as his fingers settled against her hips in the most familiar way, squeezing them until the blush appeared on her own cheek.

Then he was leaning forward, his bristled cheek pressing against her own as his deep voice whispered against her ear a scandalous suggestion. "If you bought them, I'd wear them for you tonight."

She couldn't believe that those words had actually left her mouth but her blue eyes looked deeply into his coffee colored gaze and she gave him a knowing and slightly sly grin. "But only if you buy me a pretty dress to wear in the mean time as well."

If you bought them, I’d wear them for you tonight.

Ian’s brows shot upwards and eyes widened with a gleam of excitement as he reared back to gaze the beauty in her pretty blues. She shouldn’t had said that. Her lover was looking a little too excited.

“You mean it?” Ian asked. An irresistible smile stretched on his face. He could already imagine the shopping spree he was going to be on.

But only if you buy me a pretty dress to wear in the meantime as well.

Her last statement seemed to nearly fall on deaf ears as Ian glanced about the store. He didn’t know why he was glancing around when they weren’t even in a lingerie store, but as her request caught up to his enthusiastic mind, he turned back around to face her.

“What? Oh, a dress. Of course.”

Ian immediately started sifting through the nearest dress rack he saw. She had put him on a mission, and he had to try to force himself to remain on point. Unfortunately, fantasies of Elizabeth in erotic wear kept invading his mind. But after a few more racks, Ian found a dress that had been what she had predicted. It was a light, airy, yellow dress that he held by the hangar and draped the rest over his arm. He narrowed his eyes as he studied it critically.

“Hm…” And then glancing from the dress to Elizabeth, he had to ask. “I’m not trynna’ pick the same colors too much, but I always thought that yellow looks good on you. What do you think? You’re not tired of it are ya?”

"I mean it." Elizabeth said as she watched Ian's eyes light up in a way that she'd never seen before.

She smiled as a look came to his dark eyes like he was a kid in a candy store. As she had watched over him during his recovery she never thought that she would see that look in his eyes ever again. There he was though, bright, alert, and the man that she loved so completely. She wanted to wrap him in her arms and hold him tight, kissing him until neither of them could breathe. Instead, she turned towards the rack of clothing that he was pawing through on the search for a pretty dress.

Tears came to her eyes as he pulled out a flowing yellow dress, his eyes looking over it critically before he finally turned towards her. She sucked in a breath, looking at him with a soft smile on her lips as she thought about all that they had been through in such a short amount of time. Even through it all, he still remembered what made her smile.

"No. I'll never get tired of it." She said softly, leaning in to press her lips against his scratchy cheek. "And I'll never get tired of you."

She meant it. Every single word. Ian meant more to her than anything else in her life and she would never tire of his moody, loving, tempestuous nature. She reached up and wiped a tear out of her eye as she looked back at the dress with a smile on her lips.

"Well, let's get this on and paid for so we can go looking for some garters." She murmured, trying not to be too sentimental in the moment.

The dress had been somewhat sentimental. He noticed it when Elizabeth's eyes seemed to glitter over with tears. For a moment, Ian was a little confused, but as she told him that she would never tire of his selections or anything that he would do, he understood. She kissed his rough cheek and he passed the dress over to her.

"Puttin' it on just to take it off again," Ian playfully muttered.

He stayed behind when Elizabeth went to put it on. When she later emerged, he gazed at her and how the yellow dress seemed to contrast well with her ruby locks. She looked just like a sunshine, a poppy in a golden field. Even though she would never agree with him since she was set that she was only his sunshine as a blonde, Ian reassured her, "Blonde, red, brown, or black; it doesn't matter what color your hair is, doll. You'll always be my beautiful ray of sunshine."

He held his hand out to her to receive her and pulled her close. He ran his eyes over her dress, getting a closer look and then graced her with a satisfied smile. He seemed to keep his calm and patient composure for a minute and then said quickly with excitement, "All right, let's go!"

Her lover searched what nearly seemed tirelessly for his current condition, searching every sidewalk and corner for a lingerie store until its name read fancifully in French, L'allumeuse du cotton. With a light sheen of sweat on his brow, Ian smiled joyfully up at the sign, his chest rising and falling with his unconditioned breaths.

"Found it. Geez, I'm so out of shape. That..." he breathed, "was barely a mile. I feel like an old man."

He took a moment to sit on the bench that was conveniently outside the shop. Resting his head back, he closed his eyes as he recalled the last time he tried to keep up with Elizabeth in the bedroom and how pathetic he had felt. Well, they both discovered some new tricks she could do with her mouth but he still felt like half a man. Opening his eyes, the excitement that had filled him just a moment ago seemed to have been extinguished. What was the point of going panty shopping? Why had he been so excited when he knew he wasn't in the right kind of shape? Lately, his and Elizabeth's last few romps hadn't gone the way he wanted. Every time he lost steam, he felt like an old race horse.

"On second thought, as much as I'd love to see you in anything in that store, let's just save our money and get some burgers instead," Ian suggested.

It was hard to turn down the temptations that pawed at him from the store window, but he wasn't feeling like himself. He wasn't ever going to be satisfied until he was 100%.

Elizabeth laughed softly as she took the dress back into the dressing room and put it on. It fit beautifully and certainly made her feel beautiful. When she emerged, she saw the look in Ian's eyes and actually blushed. Yes, she blushed at the way that he looked her body up and down. Ian had a way about him that made her feel warm and fuzzy inside and she wondered if this wasn't what being in love was like.

"Thank you, Ian." She said softly as he murmured that it didn't matter what color her hair was, that she would always be his sunshine.

Taking his hand, she let him pull her closer, his eyes running over the peaks and valleys of the dress again until he grinned at her with that satisfied smile. He was near to bursting with excitement as he drug her out onto the street, searching up and down the street for the one store that would carry the lingerie that she had promised to wear for him.

Ian was huffing and puffing by the time that they found a store and he looked like the wind had certainly been taken out of his sails. She could see the change come over him as they sat on a bench outside the store, her hand still holding his tightly. She was worried about him, but she knew making a comment about his weakness would only make him upset and angry.

"Food would be good." She said softly, squeezing his hand as she saw all the self doubt and loathing in his eyes. "But...I don't know. Would you mind if I went in to just have a look around?"

Ian felt Elizabeth squeeze his hand and knew why she was doing it. Without words, he knew that she was concerned about him. He didn’t wish to discuss it or have her continue to worry about him.

But…I don’t know. Would you mind if I went in to just have a look around?

He was a little hesitant to answer. He had made such a big commotion searching for the store, it seemed only fair that he allowed her to have a look inside. He, however, wouldn’t have been able to follow her even if she dragged him. Staring at all that underwear just made him angry.

“Sure, go ahead. I’m gonna go find us a burger place and then I’ll come back here and get you,” Ian informed as he rose off the bench and without meeting her eyes once started down the street. He needed to walk to cool his head and to stop thinking about how unfit he was.

You’ll get it back, he tried to encourage himself.

He never liked exposing Elizabeth to his dark moods. It made him feel like a rain cloud on her sunny day. He was done bank robbing, and his focus was to conserve the loot they had and start over with his woman. He was a free man. Ian Darcy was only alive in the heart of Elizabeth Darrow. The thought put a somewhat content smile on his face.

"Alright." Elizabeth said as his little plan unfolded and he stood off the bench to go in search of a burger place.

He wouldn't even look at her as he walked down the street, the defeated nature of his thoughts showing in the way he carried himself. His dark moods were a part of him that she simply accepted. She couldn't have the lovable Ian without the dark Ian as well. She just wished that he wouldn't be so hard on himself. He had been to hell and back and perhaps she was being inconsiderate to try and push him into something that he obviously wasn't ready for. Suddenly the idea of going into the store to look at panties didn't seem so appealing anymore.

A long, drawn out sigh escaped her lips as she stood and forced herself to go inside. The little bell above the door tinkled cheerfully as she pushed it open. A petite woman behind the counter looked in her direction and Elizabeth was quick to tell her that she was just looking. The thought of buying had long since been squashed by Ian's sudden change in mood.

Inside that store there was every manner of underwear that Elizabeth could imagine. Some things were sensible and others put a blush on her Catholic cheeks. She tried to imagine what Ian would say about each piece that she had shown an interest in. Perhaps he would like it. Perhaps she could get his engine running again.

"It's just a waste of money." She said to herself with a quiet sigh, glancing out the window every so often to see if Ian had returned just yet.

In the back of the lingerie store, a man in a brown suit was seated before a set of three mirrors that presented a reflection at three different angles. He had one leg foured over his other and his chin resting comfortably as well as anxiously in his palm. There came a ruffle of the red changing room curtain and stepping out unabashed of any eyes but her own man stepped a brunette in black silk panties with pink ribbons and a bra of similar material with two bows hiding her nipples. Her lover’s chin slowly lifted from his hand in awe as he gazed upon his girl who twirled her finger about one of the bows on her hip and blushed coyly.

“Do you like it?” she asked softly.

Her man dropped his foot upon the floor with a thump, stood from his chair, and playfully went to crowd her. Grasping her wrist and running a hand across the smooth silk of her backside, he smiled lecherously as he backed her toward the mirrors and replied, “Like it? I love it. You can’t keep me away.”

The brunette squealed with laughter and pushed him back. “Honey, we’re in the store. There’s people.”

The man turned his head to regard the clerk and then the lone red-head before glancing back to his girl.

“I don’t see nobody.”

She pushed him away again with a flirtatious giggle and as he collapsed back into his chair, she waved her finger at him and said, “Don’t be rude. This outfit isn’t that great.”

“Are you kidding? I wish you dressed like this every night. What fella’ doesn’t like a gal in lingerie?”

The brunette turned and peeked naughtily over her shoulder at him. “I’m going to pick something else. Something better; and I’m not going to let you see it until tonight. So no peeking.”

“Oh come on baby, you’re killing me here!”

Meanwhile, Ian was surveying an old saloon-like bar called “The Denver Den.” He had received a few friendly greetings from the staff and some patrons walking in and out that had made him so far like the place. He liked it even better when he saw a small local band on stage, playing some soft country.

Walking over to the host, Ian offered a friendly smile of his own and asked, “Say, you think you grill a fine burger?”

The host chuckled and grinned. “Only the best burgers in town!”

“You’ll see me again then.”

“Feel free to come on back any time!”

The saloon made his smile linger on his face. The mood the lingerie store had put him in had moved on. He was excited to show Elizabeth the saloon. Dang…how long had it been? Ian glanced up at the sun as though he could guess the time, and normally he guessed right. Usually when he left his girl alone, he found himself returning to her with a raised fist. She always seemed to attract some horny bastard, and he was hoping that that wasn’t going to be the case this time. He was in no shape to fight, but he knew he was always in shape to defend his girl.

When Ian returned to the lingerie store, he stood outside with a scowl on his face and hands balled into fists as though he was expecting some dirt bag to step out with his hands on his woman. He glared up and down the sidewalk, and gradually relaxed when he suspected that such scum wasn’t around. He would have to apologize to her for taking a while.

Elizabeth glanced over at the slight commotion coming from the back of the store. She saw two people, a man and a woman, and the woman was dressed in an almost obscene pair of underwear. Trying her hardest not to stare, she glanced back at the rack of garments in front of her, their words and playful tone reaching her ears. It made her sad. She wanted to be sharing a moment like that with Ian instead of standing alone in front of a bunch of undergarments.

She wanted to be the one being felt up in that dressing room. She wanted to be the one with a man who looked at her as if she hung the sun and moon. Instead, he had stormed away to save her from his dark and dreary mood. He couldn't help the fact that he'd been laid up in a hospital for weeks. She couldn't give him back the strength that he was so sorely missing.

"Rough day?" The lady behind the counter asked, startling her out of her thoughts as she suddenly appeared beside her.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that." Elizabeth said softly, her eyes never straying from the rack in front of her.

She wanted to cry. It was silly, she knew, but she felt like all of her hopes for that day had been dashed the moment that Ian walked away from her to find a burger joint. Food had a greater calling than sex and dammit, she wanted to feel needed.

"Is that your fella outside?" The lady asked, motioning towards the front window where Ian was waiting almost impatiently.

"Guess I better get going then, huh?" Elizabeth murmured, letting out a long sigh as she finally turned from shopping, pausing when the woman placed her hand on her forearm.

"Pick out something for yourself, dear. I'm not letting you walk out of here with that long look on your face. A man as fine as him deserves to see something cheerful." The woman said, pulling Elizabeth back towards the rack and making her look again. "This right here is simple, useful, and guaranteed to get his blood pumping."

A black, silk nightie was pulled off the rack for Elizabeth to look at. It didn't have the frills and ribbons of some of the other things in the store and she had to admit that it was very pretty. Still, she didn't think Ian would appreciate her spending their money on something like that. After all, he hadn't even wanted to go into the store with her.

"I don't know..." Elizabeth said as the woman turned with the nightie in her hands and walked back to the counter, placing it in a pretty little bag and handing it towards her.

"On the house, dear." She was stunned by those words and her hands shook slightly as she reached for the bag. "Now, don't keep a man like him waiting."

"Thank you." Elizabeth said softly as she gave the woman a smile and turned to leave the store, the bell jingling behind her as her eyes locked onto Ian's. "So, did you find a place to eat?"

Back