Your one that got away...

J

jackflash81

Guest
This isn't necessarily 'Playground' material, but seeing as the people on the Playground are the most AWESOME on Lit, I thought I would put it here....hope peeps don't mind!

I was chatting with one of the lovely ladies from Lit this evening, and I happened to mention a good friend of mine, whom I have always been very fond of.

My mum told me, after I broke up with my first long term girlfriend, that everyone will always have 'one that got away'. A person in your life that you really would have like to have been more than friends with, but circumstances didn't allow.

For me, I have a lovely friend, who is female.

I met her at a wedding about 7 months after my 5 year relationship had come to an end. I can honestly say it is the only time I have experienced love at first site. She is beautiful, and a lovely person.

I asked her for a drink that night, and we went, and got on great. I was always scared that it was too soon for me, and I didn't want to ruin it too early.

Over time we became great friends, very close. We even shared a bed when I went to visit her at Uni, but nothing happened.

It also seemed that it was never the right time, she had boyfriends come and go, and I had the odd fling. We both went travelling to different places etc.. and it never worked out.

I still thought a lot of her, but got to a position where I was worried that should it develop, and not work out, I would lose her from my life. I hated that thought, so I never acted on it at all.

Now, we are still friends, but nothing more. I often wonder what if, but know that the moment has passed, and she will always be my one that got away.
 
I worked with her for 3 years. She had a wonderful smile, dark brown eyes and legs that went on forever. She had a wonderful sense of humor. We had common interests and agreed on life in general. We instinctively knew what the other was thinking and could even finish each other's sentences.

Unfortunately, we were both ministers and both married. If I ever had a soul mate, it was her. She eventually moved, divorced and re-married. My biggest regret is that I didn't have the courage to leave my life behind and find happiness with her.

She's the one who got away, and still haunts me.
 
I keep the leash very short, they don't ever get away (fun bump)
 
I met him here.
The "soul mate" thing that Michael mentioned above....yeah, that. From Day One.
(okay, not from Day One, actually. he had to work pretty hard to get me to give him a second look lol.)
There wasn't anything I could do about him leaving.
I miss his sorry smartass like crazy.
 
Last edited:
touchstones

to the ones that got away - i sure had mine - at least our lives were enriched in passing. that's what happens with a touchstone - you hold it only for a moment. thank you. thank you. thank you.

and, yeah, ...still miss you, too
 
Last edited:
I was with him on and off for four years. I had to let him go, because he used me up and I deserved more.

I was right. There was better out there, but that first love was meaningful even if a little one-sided.
 
I took his virginity at age 16.

We remained fuck buddies off & on for many, many years.
We then lost touch.
Reunited again, we took up as FB again, then hubby came along.
Jealousy. Banned from talking to him again.

We never would have made it as partners, just FB.
But I miss him.
 
I was infatuated with his younger brother who was in the same class in high school. It was a school crush that put us in the same places many times. One of those times I met his older brother and it was like a everything clicked. He was an older, more nature version of what I thought I wanted in my school friend. The first night we met we spent the whole night snuggled on my friend's couch talking, making out....talking more....from then on we inseparable and ended up in bed together anytime we ended up in the same space for over 5 years. We never dated ...he went to university 3 provinces over. By the time I was done university and he was home I was with someone.
Eventually he moved across the country...coincidentally we're in the same city again....and wouldn't you know....in two weeks I've invited him and his s/o over for a bbq. Should be interesting since neither of our partners knows of our past.
 
Last edited:
I ran into mine a few years ago at a school reunion. He was a couple of years older than me but happened to be in town the same weekend as our reunion and dropped by the bar we were at.

He has a beautiful wife, three great kids and still looks as fantastic as he did in school, if not better. I sat and spoke with his wife and him for nearly 2 hours. He told his wife about how he had a huge crush on me in high school and how I broke his heart. We all had a big laugh, but inside I still felt a little remorse. His wife was one of the sweetest women I have ever met and looks like she should be on a magazine cover. Never once did she seem put off by us talking and I could see her being a best friend in different circumstances. He deserves a wife like that. :)

What a dumb little girl I was back then.
 
Mine was my first girlfriend in college. We hit it off right from the start and were great friends from the word go. My being naive meant that I didn't know how relationships worked in the slightest. I always knew that I wanted to start as friends, become great friends, then evolve into lovers and so forth. I figured at the time that was how it was supposed to work (and in retrospect, I guess I still do).

She'd had a series of boyfriends and one in particular I didn't understand due to him being somewhat of a hillbilly (IMO). He moved away and she and I spent more time together. We started doing more and more together and I realized how hard I was falling for her. One night we were teasing each other and she sucked on my finger. I, of course, did absolutely nothing as I was an idiot. This happens a few more times before we try to drive from school over to a midnight showing of Raiders, but get rained out. This was monsoon level rain too, which made it physically impossible to drive in.

So we turn around and head back. Make it back to campus just fine and wind up hanging in my room. We eventually start teasing each other but this time when I run my finger down her nose and brush her lips I pull it away as she tries to suck on it. Her eyes were closed as I did this. I did it a couple more times and leaned in closer to her. Each time my finger dropped, it gently tugged her face towards mine. I brushed her lips a final time with my finger and as she moved forward, so did I and we finally kissed. Which turned into an all night makeout session.

We were together for a few months before something happened (I honestly don't recall what) and she mentioned that she was torn between wanting to stay with me and wanting to see her boyfriend in the Carolinas. So I made the call for her and broke things off entirely. In my 19-yo mind, it made sense for me to just cut her off entirely so that she could go be with him since that's what she wanted. That one's stayed with me, obviously, for a long time and I do always wonder what happened to her. For what it's worth, I hope she wound up happy.
 
I'm very lucky as I married the one and only love of my life. :heart:

L:rose:
 
Later, when I really needed one, she taught me what true friendship and caring is all about. No one has ever hurt me more deeply, or made me feel more honestly loved.
 
My one who got away was actually from the 3rd grade. I had a mad crush on him, and we sat next to each other in class. He and another boy would compete every day to make me laugh, and I found out later they would talk about who "won" that day by making me laugh the hardest. My 8 year old self didn't realize this was an elementary school version of flirting, so I kept my crush a secret. (I was incredibly shy, especially with boys. Still am, actually.)

Because I was so shy, and because flirting was still essentially mystery to us both, my crush and I never quite connected romantically (well, as "romantic" as two third graders are anyway). We went through high school together, and I only found out in my 30s that I was his very first crush. A mutual friend of mine saw him at a party, and he told her. She passed on to him that he was my very first crush as well, which also shocked him.

Of course I'm now married, as is he, I believe, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for him. I sometimes wonder how my confidence with boys through school would have improved if I had a "boyfriend" in 3rd grade. As it was, I didn't date anyone until college.

C'est la vie.
 
got away

Girl i grew up with i had a crush on her but was the shy person in our class so it never really moved beyond friends for a long time. Then junior year i learn she has a crush on me as well i tell her how i felt and we started dating and soon she was coming to my house and we would make out and such sadly i couldn't keep her happy and she moved on.
 
I ask myself the question everyday. I thought she was mine forever. You know what they say: Love always finds a way. We were meant to be together, the ties that bind, all that stuff. Jessica, if you're out there and can read this, please know that every damn day I ask myself how I let you get away. I mean seriously, woman, how the fuck did you chew through ALL of that rope? Jesus H. Fuck, woman.

Miss you, girl. :heart:
 
I ask myself the question everyday. I thought she was mine forever. You know what they say: Love always finds a way. We were meant to be together, the ties that bind, all that stuff. Jessica, if you're out there and can read this, please know that every damn day I ask myself how I let you get away. I mean seriously, woman, how the fuck did you chew through ALL of that rope? Jesus H. Fuck, woman.

Miss you, girl. :heart:

You forgot the cage.:rolleyes:
 
Mine that got away was a young lady who said she didn't want to lose my friendship if things didn't work out, and then a few years later said she was sorry that we hadn't had that physical relationship.
We are still platonic best friends
 
I couldn't tell you anything about him, because he got away without my ever meeting him, I believe.
 
Bumping this thread because I love the stories here, and want more. :)
 
I met him here.
The "soul mate" thing that Michael mentioned above....yeah, that. From Day One.
(okay, not from Day One, actually. he had to work pretty hard to get me to give him a second look lol.)
There wasn't anything I could do about him leaving.
I miss his sorry smartass like crazy.

(((honey))) yeah, i just hugged you. :eek: ;)
and i don't have one who got away...
 
Out of sheer loneliness I joined a dating website. I began talking with a nice gentleman. We shared much in common. After several weeks of online chats we shared numbers. I was so choked up and nervous when he first called. After my initial shyness we talked and laughed for hours.

I remember hanging up and just holding my phone. I felt giddy. We had talked and flirted and he really liked me. And I him. The following week we texts constantly. We spoke on the phone every day. He made me laugh. He made me feel sexy again. He shared his world with me. We decided to meet. He met me at a local woodland preserve. We strolled. Shared a beautiful lunch. And we kissed. We kissed a lot. For the first time in a very long time I felt aroused. Sexy. I wanted this man.we did not venture beyond kissing. He was very much a gentleman. ...our second date was to his fave restaurant. More kissing and cuddling. Lots if talking.

Later that night when he called our conversation ventured to sex. He told me how desirable he found me. I could hear in his voice how turned on he was. I was too. I've never ever had phone sex but we came very close. We made plans to meet the following day. I knew if he asked I would share his bed. I was awake for hours thinking what it would be like. After years of going through the motions. To be with a man I wanted to touch me. I had such a battle raging inside me. A very strict upbringing. Morals I had been taught. Emotions that rivaled any storm. If I could just have one more kiss. But I also had a wedding ring on my finger...

I called him the following day and broke the date. I tried to explain that I just could not do it. He was single. I don't think he understood. I know I hurt him. I was ashamed of myself for letting it get that far. He tried to email, text and call. But I did not respond . until I heard from him no more.

A year has passed now. I can still hear his laughter. And feel his hand at the small of my back. I think what if he was the one. I'm still living in a marriage with no passion. I'm sure he has since moved on. I will always smile when I remember him. And cry sometimes too. I closed my online dating account...no matter what I won't forget those few weeks.

:(
 
Back
Top