Short Story / Long Story

Ezrollin

Really Experienced
Which would you rather read a short or long story When writing either present a particular challenge to the author. With a short story, you get to the erotica relatively quick with little chance for character development. Character development is what makes a story interesting,in my opinion. A long story allows for more character development but the writer has to hold the readers interest while building to the climax, literally ! Easy to say,not so easy to do. I have two short stories approved, Incognito and Ode to Alice and a longer story being edited. My idea of an excellent long story is Eliane 1-5 by flavaflave . The author titillates you with erotica building to cock swelling finale. Your input on what you expect from a story might be helpful to me or aspiring authors .

Strictly from a reader's perspective (since I'm way too new at writing), I agree that character development is what makes or breaks a story. That's probably due in part to the fact that I read only breezy, fluffy romance, and if the characters in those books aren't well fleshed-out, then what's the point?

I'm most impressed when an author is capable of bringing a character to life within the first page or two--that's book pages, not Lit pages. If you can show me who the character is without having to tell me much about her, then you've got me hooked. I'll read anything you write. Long, short, whatever.

I agree with you completely. I haven't written anything yet that allows for full character development but I do have one being edited that goes more in that direction. What about style, does it add to the story or does it matter to you ? By style , I mean that you would possibly recognize the author just by the way the story was written.

I honestly don't think many readers on Lit appreciate a good story when it comes to erotica. Sometimes I get the feeling they like to just read the sex scene and beat their meat.

There is so much more to a good story besides just the sex scenes and character development. Mood, setting, background, the plot, and don't forget the flow of the story. I may have missed a few key storytelling elements, but that's ok; I'm still learning myself. I am smart enough to know different factors go into writing a great story and no story functions well on just one or two of the elements I mentioned.

I honestly don't think many readers on Lit appreciate a good story when it comes to erotica. Sometimes I get the feeling they like to just read the sex scene and beat their meat.

There is so much more to a good story besides just the sex scenes and character development. Mood, setting, background, the plot, and don't forget the flow of the story. I may have missed a few key storytelling elements, but that's ok; I'm still learning myself. I am smart enough to know different factors go into writing a great story and no story functions well on just one or two of the elements I mentioned.

Agreed ... The first several paragraphs dictate whether I continue to read a story. For me going straight to sex in a story is like trying to seduce a woman with no foreplay, not the best approach. I'm not sure the average Literotica reader is ready for or really wants the "great american novel." I think there is a place for a good "short" story but I personally like to read or would like to write something with a little more substance.

Agreed ... The first several paragraphs dictate whether I continue to read a story. For me going straight to sex in a story is like trying to seduce a woman with no foreplay, not the best approach. I'm not sure the average Literotica reader is ready for or really wants the "great american novel." I think there is a place for a good "short" story but I personally like to read or would like to write something with a little more substance.

I kinda did that approach with "A Slut's Triangle" putting a sex scene up front for the readers knowing it was a complex story I was telling and knowing that shorter chapters meant there wasn't gonna be sex in every chapter. Shorter chapters allow me to introduce new characters, develope my main character through interaction, and move the story along with a smooth flow. I did keep the hints of sex and flirting present in the chapters between 1 & 4, but with the complexity of the storyline, putting a sex scene in each chapter meant taking away from the story I'm trying to tell the reader.

I don't think long vs short means a lot. Character development doesn't necessarily equate to great erotica; and a short stroker can be really hot without any plot or very little. All depends on how its done.

Which would you rather read a short or long story When writing either present a particular challenge to the author. With a short story, you get to the erotica relatively quick with little chance for character development. Character development is what makes a story interesting,in my opinion. A long story allows for more character development but the writer has to hold the readers interest while building to the climax, literally ! Easy to say,not so easy to do. I have two short stories approved, Incognito and Ode to Alice and a longer story being edited. My idea of an excellent long story is Eliane 1-5 by flavaflave . The author titillates you with erotica building to cock swelling finale. Your input on what you expect from a story might be helpful to me or aspiring authors .

I prefer short stories, which for Lit need to be a little longer than the usual printed short, but not a novel.

Short stories pose challenges for the author, but if it's done right then the reader gets enough characterization to empathize, enough description to feel the locale, and a plot that gets resolved in a reasonable number of words.

The Lit story needs to be a little longer than the typical printed short story so that you have time to do the characterization, get the imagery drawn and the plot resolved, and then still have space for the sexual excursions.

I imagine there are some good, long stories here, but most of the chapter stories I've seen seem to ramble, with little point other than to get some shallow, stereotyped characters fucking over and over. They're serial strokers.

There are readers for both, and for things in between. As an amateur author you get to pick your challenge.

Oh yes we do; the snag is that there are many readers (and some authors, I think) for whom a stroker is all that's needed.

For me, 3-5 pages is long enough.

Oh yes we do; the snag is that there are many readers (and some authors, I think) for whom a stroker is all that's needed.

For me, 3-5 pages is long enough.

As a reader, I rarely go past 3 Lit pages.

There are a gazillion readers on Lit. You can't appeal to all of them, but then you only need enough to make it worth while. The one series I have up is now into 13 chapters, and only 4 of those chapters even have sex in them--it would be three, but I divided one of the episodes into two chapters. The rest of the words are all about characters and plot; even the sex is only meaningful as part of the story line.

Readers just looking for a stroker don't get very far into it, yet the story has loyal readers, some of whom are very complimentary.

I kinda did that approach with "A Slut's Triangle" putting a sex scene up front for the readers knowing it was a complex story I was telling and knowing that shorter chapters meant there wasn't gonna be sex in every chapter. Shorter chapters allow me to introduce new characters, develope my main character through interaction, and move the story along with a smooth flow. I did keep the hints of sex and flirting present in the chapters between 1 & 4, but with the complexity of the storyline, putting a sex scene in each chapter meant taking away from the story I'm trying to tell the reader.

I will have to read that one, it seems like I can pick up something useful from each well-written story I read. Just finished EverLux's, "Closing High School,High and found it erotic,well written and believable,with only a few minor "errors" ? Even after going over my short stories several times,I still found that I could have written something a different.

I will have to read that one, it seems like I can pick up something useful from each well-written story I read. Just finished EverLux's, "Closing High School,High and found it erotic,well written and believable,with only a few minor "errors" ? Even after going over my short stories several times,I still found that I could have written something a different.

Gah. I'm blushing.
And yes--those errors drive me nuts. I really need to fix them instead of just wincing at them.

Also, thanks! :)

I don't think long vs short means a lot. Character development doesn't necessarily equate to great erotica; and a short stroker can be really hot without any plot or very little. All depends on how its done.

I think my biggest problem with some of the stories is believability , someone doesn't go from a saint to a slut in two paragraphs. For instances, if you tried to blackmail me into sex by threatening to reveal that I had posted an erotic story on Literotica you'd still be pounding your pud . Yes, a short story can be good as long as it is believable and had the right degree of eroticism .

I don't write picture perfect sex scenes. I try to keep them on a believable real world level and convey emotion to the reader. Sure there was a sex scene, but when has sex ever really went exactly the way we wanted it to happen? Things happen, something gets said , etc. I'm sure you will be able to see that when you read my stories. And that's what I do, I write stories, not just sex scenes.

Dealing with a transvestite slut, one has to know that there are things that will enevitiably move a character from sleeping with one person to sleeping with the next, unpleasant things; drama. But, it all has some type of entertainment value that adds to the story; if it didn't the story would have been over after 2-3 chapters and quickly forgotten - with little character development.

As a reader, I rarely go past 3 Lit pages.

There are a gazillion readers on Lit. You can't appeal to all of them, but then you only need enough to make it worth while. The one series I have up is now into 13 chapters, and only 4 of those chapters even have sex in them--it would be three, but I divided one of the episodes into two chapters. The rest of the words are all about characters and plot; even the sex is only meaningful as part of the story line.

Readers just looking for a stroker don't get very far into it, yet the story has loyal readers, some of whom are very complimentary.

As you say,you can't appeal everyone. I've already come to that conclusion and is why my choice of categories will be limited when writing. I received a couple of pm's from female readers telling they enjoyed my first story. That meant a lot to me. I understand why that story would appeal more to females. it was more like a mildly erotic romance. It was loosely based on one of my personal experiences and believe me it was very erotic at the time. Would you suggest one of your stories for me to read ? I go through dozens before I find one I will finish.

Last edited:
Both short and long can be good; it depends on the story.

I distrust short stories because often that means just a single sex scene with nothing that gets me involved or makes me care about the story. But some authors can do amazing things with just a few words.

I distrust long stories because often they just turn into "chapter 23: Ted and Bob fuck Alice and Mary; chapter 24: Ted and Bob fuck Alice and Mary and Mary's cousin Jane" etc. etc. and even if the original premise was interesting, the story loses all direction. But some authors are capable of keeping a long story on track and bringing it to a satisfying conclusion.

In the end it comes down to: know what you're trying to do with the story and make it as long as it needs to be to achieve that.

again, it's horses for courses. sometimes they want a quick fix - a get-off and go. other times they'll stick around for pages and pages.

Both short and long can be good; it depends on the story.

I distrust short stories because often that means just a single sex scene with nothing that gets me involved or makes me care about the story. But some authors can do amazing things with just a few words.

I distrust long stories because often they just turn into "chapter 23: Ted and Bob fuck Alice and Mary; chapter 24: Ted and Bob fuck Alice and Mary and Mary's cousin Jane" etc. etc. and even if the original premise was interesting, the story loses all direction. But some authors are capable of keeping a long story on track and bringing it to a satisfying conclusion.

In the end it comes down to: know what you're trying to do with the story and make it as long as it needs to be to achieve that.

You analyse covers it pretty well. I think... no, I know there is basic formula for writing either a short or long story. Of course, if you write in a genre that you're comfortable with you should write a better story... just MHO.

I have to agree with that.... I have read some "short" stories that were quite good but I've read some really short ones that didn't give me a chance to warm up before they turned off the heat.

Would you suggest one of your stories for me to read ? I go through dozens before I find one I will finish.

Most of what I've written is in Incest /Taboo and I've learned that I shouldn't recommend those stories to people who don't have an interest there.

Back