The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of Bamboo fly rods from the late 30's that i got from my Grandfather. One of them i still use but I've changed the reel out as the original was worn out.

I have a Hardy 7ft split-cane trout rod made in 1948, which was my Father-in-Laws. One day, I'll be able to afford to send it back to Hardy for a service. Last time I checked is was about $700, give or take.

You know, I've never had trouble with a Daiwa reel before. It's the first time in 50 odd years it's happened to me. I wish I could lay my hands on the parts list and drawings. . . .

Well, even a Daiwa is pushing it at 50. Maybe you just need to bite the bullet and get a new one. They're amazingly smooth.

I have one of those, too, but from the '60s, a gift from my father on my day of Confirmation.

Mine is from 1969. I was a small child and gramps gave me an old pole he had about the place. It was probably ten years old even then.

You sound like a friend of mine who only fishes in his swimming pool. :D

I only fish in my father's ponds. The fish are feisty and fun and incredibly delicious.

Nothing like low fishing pressure to keep the quality high.

I remember being at college, wishing I had a fish sandwich so fresh you could feel it wiggle in your mouth. That Saturday, I drove home, spent the entire morning catching small fish, filleting them, battering and frying them to make one sandwich. I was just about to sink my anxious teeth into the first bite when my father came in from the lots. His eyes big, his belly rumbling, he asked, "Where's mine?"

I gave over my hard-won sandwich and drove back to school.

Sigh.

See? That's what happens when you live in a homogenous community. I want a super fresh fish sandwich? I go down the street to our local Chinese market where they have live fish in tanks. I have the guy net, scale and fillet one, take it home and sandwich it up. Not as much fun, that's true, but it's so close I can't even catch a fish from the ocean and get it back that fresh. Amazing, really . . .

See? That's what happens when you live in a homogenous community. I want a super fresh fish sandwich? I go down the street to our local Chinese market where they have live fish in tanks. I have the guy net, scale and fillet one, take it home and sandwich it up. Not as much fun, that's true, but it's so close I can't even catch a fish from the ocean and get it back that fresh. Amazing, really . . .

But it still doesn't taste as good as that which we work for ourselves.

Reading the last few posts is making me debate whether or not I want to take up fishing again. The last time I went fishing, it sucked.

Reading the last few posts is making me debate whether or not I want to take up fishing again. The last time I went fishing, it sucked.

Well, I think it's a very peaceful couple of hours. It doesn't cost a lot and occasionally I actually catch something; rather to my surprise.

You might want to get some local advice for where you are.

Anyone who can't catch fish in the Seattle area is doing something wrong. Salmon in the Sound, perch under the docks, rockfish, wolf eel and don't even start on the fresh water possibilities. I wish I lived there . . . .

Anyone who can't catch fish in the Seattle area is doing something wrong. Salmon in the Sound, perch under the docks, rockfish, wolf eel and don't even start on the fresh water possibilities. I wish I lived there . . . .

Bear, you have two great trout lakes close by, Big Bear Lake and Silverwood. Not to mention three great bass lakes south toward San Diego. The latter three also have great populations of bream, catfish, and crappie.

I lived at Big Bear Lake for several years. If you want some fishing tips, give me a yell. Both on trout and black bass. The lake is full of bass, as no one fishes for them much.

I prefer to do my trout fishing near the family "compound"- two streams near where my father and his big family grew up. the trout are always large and my wife and Spawn tell me that they are tasty - I can't stand eating fish.

My relaxing place to fish in the park, no pressure, cast and sit and read and eat, has been co-opted by the mean ladies that want to take advantage of NY's law that allows women to be topless. They don't like me being there, oogling their bewbies while I catch-and-release. (Okay, well maybe they don't run me off, but some are crabby, thinking I'm there just because they think I really don't fish, the older ones tell them that where they are used to be a great place for kids to fish - those kids now in their late 40s, early 50s)

I prefer to do my trout fishing near the family "compound"- two streams near where my father and his big family grew up. the trout are always large and my wife and Spawn tell me that they are tasty - I can't stand eating fish.

My relaxing place to fish in the park, no pressure, cast and sit and read and eat, has been co-opted by the mean ladies that want to take advantage of NY's law that allows women to be topless. They don't like me being there, oogling their bewbies while I catch-and-release. (Okay, well maybe they don't run me off, but some are crabby, thinking I'm there just because they think I really don't fish, the older ones tell them that where they are used to be a great place for kids to fish - those kids now in their late 40s, early 50s)

Oh yeah, bare boodies and fishing. Add a few beers and I would be a happy camper, crabby stares or not.

There is a clothing optional beach down along the gulf south of where I live. It's also a great place to catch bull redfish in the spring and fall. I haven't been in several years. Another month and I see a roadtrip in the making. :D

Oh yeah, bare boodies and fishing. Add a few beers and I would be a happy camper, crabby stares or not.

There is a clothing optional beach down along the gulf south of where I live. It's also a great place to catch bull redfish in the spring and fall. I haven't been in several years. Another month and I see a roadtrip in the making. :D

This park is one of the few places in the city where the "No Alcohol" and "Open Container" laws are strictly enforced, meaning if a cop smells beer on your breath, you WILL receive a ticket. Though the topless place is far from the children play areas, the police still consider it under the same rules as if it was close to the swings, jungle gyms, etc.

Last week, I went to read - it used to be my reading place as a teen as well, sitting on a blanket in the groves of ash and pine and ignoring the world - and was actually welcomed by those cranky womens. Seems they believe a reader will read and not lear, but a man with a pole will..LOL

All we get locally is a load of big heavy boats (60ft long 7ft wide, steel) cruising past just as the water settles.
Sometimes it really is not funny.
And as for Captain Birdseye . . . . .

Actually, Big Bear Lake is a weekend expedition as are the bass lakes in SDCo. My best fishing bet is to take the gear down to Belmont Shore and surf cast. It's amazing how big some of the fish are that show up in the surf!

Actually, Big Bear Lake is a weekend expedition as are the bass lakes in SDCo. My best fishing bet is to take the gear down to Belmont Shore and surf cast. It's amazing how big some of the fish are that show up in the surf!

When i Lived in Costa Mesa, I used to fish the Huntington and Balboa piers and the back bay. With the tide out, you could dig bloodworms 8 to 10 inches long up almost anywhere.

There were also some ponds where the Laguna Canyon road turned off I-5 at Turtle Rock. They were part of the wetlands research project for the college but they allowed fishing if you kept things clean and neat.

It's not about catching fish. It's about time. It's time just for you--time to reflect, time to relax, time to learn about yourself.

I've never been salmon fishing. I've always wanted to go.

Bear, you have two great trout lakes close by, Big Bear Lake and Silverwood. Not to mention three great bass lakes south toward San Diego. The latter three also have great populations of bream, catfish, and crappie.

I lived at Big Bear Lake for several years. If you want some fishing tips, give me a yell. Both on trout and black bass. The lake is full of bass, as no one fishes for them much.
Mmm...bass...crappie...two of my faves.

Anyone who can't catch fish in the Seattle area is doing something wrong. Salmon in the Sound, perch under the docks, rockfish, wolf eel and don't even start on the fresh water possibilities.

Actually, the last time I fished was in a freezing Yellowstone river. But you're right, I probably would have better luck in the Sound.

I wish I lived there . . . .

Shall I further entice you? http://windermeremercerisland.com/l...d/9265-Se-36th-Place-98040/10890860?refer=map

It's not about catching fish. It's about time. It's time just for you--time to reflect, time to relax, time to learn about yourself.

I might look up getting fishing licenses and see if I can grab a cheap pole. But we'll have to see how long I can last until my ADD kicks in. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back