Mental Illness

I just switched to glycinate and I can hold it down. My doctor knows what I'm taking. I drink a lot of protein shakes, which is bad (they taste like ice cream) or I would have to find some kind of supplement because my diet is largely vegetarian. Kitteh would be surely be displeased about being left out of her people scraps, however. I'm not buying cat food. What's in that stuff?

Jonie's mystery meat meow. My least favorite meow. :cattail:

What? Kitteh?

Yes Jonie. I like 9 lives liver and bacon meow. Can't you tell?

Well, I uh... this has gotten out of hand.

Put it by the doggie door.

It'll get frozen.

I'll eat it right away.

*grumbling* You couldn't find a litter box if it walked up and bit you in the ass.

Does anyone has some experience with aripirazole? It's supposed to be pretty new on the market, or so he told me. My psychiatrist suggested the switch.

Something to consider when trying to answer side effects to long term medications is to get tested for nutrient deficiencies. Meds can often solve bigger issues by disrupting the way our body wants to function so it uses or can misuse or overuse certain resources, which include nutrients that rely on good nutrition that suit the demand of the drugs. The demand for nutrients can maybe sometimes not be met with a viable or sustainable diet shift, which can make nutrient supplements a great companion to these medications, but they are often over looked. I think I read someplace that the class of drugs that Abilify belongs to can contribute to B (I think B6?) vitamin deficiency. It can't hurt to ask, and it might help.

If your doc can't order nutrient testing, there are great online labs that you can use to get tested without a doctors order. Maybe try that and bring the results to your doc for a discussion about the results and appropriate supplements.

I'm a big believer in food being a powerful medicine and know very few of us truly feed ourselves completely through diet alone regardless of our current state of health. Illness is a marathon on the parts of the body it effects, so sometimes those goup packets can help get you back in the race.

Just a thought. :rose:

Thank you! I read a thing the other day about B6 supposedly reducing the instances of akathisia in patients being treated with Abilify. I know my Lamictal leaches folate (B9), so I need to be back on a multi-B vitamin, anyway. I bought some today and am going to give it a go. :)

Does anyone has some experience with aripirazole? It's supposed to be pretty new on the market, or so he told me. My psychiatrist suggested the switch.

Aripiprazole is Abilify. It's newer, but not brand-new or anything. It's an atypical antipsychotic that's used to treat schizophrenia, bipolar, depression, and other things off-label.

Experience: It helps my mood dramatically, but the akathisia is killing me.

Thank you! I read a thing the other day about B6 supposedly reducing the instances of akathisia in patients being treated with Abilify. I know my Lamictal leaches folate (B9), so I need to be back on a multi-B vitamin, anyway. I bought some today and am going to give it a go. :)

Aripiprazole is Abilify. It's newer, but not brand-new or anything. It's an atypical antipsychotic that's used to treat schizophrenia, bipolar, depression, and other things off-label.

Experience: It helps my mood dramatically, but the akathisia is killing me.

I had the first dose today (against shizophrenia). So far, so good, but it really made me extremely restless. I could hardly lie down, had the urge to constantly walk - it went away when I took Akineton, tho. Hope it helps.

I've been contemplating going back on medication recently. Weighing the pros and cons. I think I need it, but I wonder about the changes that could take place. And there's people to consider I guess... one trusting me that I know me and what I need... and others that think I don't need it, that I'll be fine if I can just get over whatever this is. I know what it is and I don't even want to put it in writing. As much as I want it to not be taboo I still can't bring myself to state exactly what it is. Hm...

I've been contemplating going back on medication recently. Weighing the pros and cons. I think I need it, but I wonder about the changes that could take place. And there's people to consider I guess... one trusting me that I know me and what I need... and others that think I don't need it, that I'll be fine if I can just get over whatever this is. I know what it is and I don't even want to put it in writing. As much as I want it to not be taboo I still can't bring myself to state exactly what it is. Hm...

I suppose you can always try the medication and watch how it goes. It's not uncommon to have to try multiple fixes before you find the one your body and mind will tolerate.

Sounds a bit unconventional, but maybe a very low dose? Half is the recommended or prescribed amount. Or taking it every other day? Saturation levels differ medication by medication, maybe a two week regime and then cut back. Just some thoughts. I hope you figure it out to your liking without a lot of stress :rose:

Honestly I think you and your doctor should come to a decision on this. The people that love you may be well meaning, but they don't have the knowledge you and your doctor have about what's going on inside.

I suppose you can always try the medication and watch how it goes. It's not uncommon to have to try multiple fixes before you find the one your body and mind will tolerate.

Sounds a bit unconventional, but maybe a very low dose? Half is the recommended or prescribed amount. Or taking it every other day? Saturation levels differ medication by medication, maybe a two week regime and then cut back. Just some thoughts. I hope you figure it out to your liking without a lot of stress :rose:

Thanks, I'm always looking into helpful things and do a lot regularly to stay on the up and up. It does become hard when it creeps in because reality is kind of altered a bit. The negative thoughts become a kind of truth about the world sort of deal.

Honestly I think you and your doctor should come to a decision on this. The people that love you may be well meaning, but they don't have the knowledge you and your doctor have about what's going on inside.

Certainly, I suppose I pressure myself more. I go back and forth between "this isn't right" and "this is part of me and it is not something to be cured like a disease."

I think mostly I posted as a kind of rant. It is frustrating to go through the cycle over and over.

Thanks, I'm always looking into helpful things and do a lot regularly to stay on the up and up. It does become hard when it creeps in because reality is kind of altered a bit. The negative thoughts become a kind of truth about the world sort of deal.

Certainly, I suppose I pressure myself more. I go back and forth between "this isn't right" and "this is part of me and it is not something to be cured like a disease."

I think mostly I posted as a kind of rant. It is frustrating to go through the cycle over and over.

A few more thoughts. I think you are tiny? Perhaps a children's dosage might be right for you. And something I wanted to share with everyone here:

I have a friend who suffers from depression, anxiety, manic bouts, etc etc. I have watched her suffer for years, and have posted here about her from time to time. She recently had bio-identicle hormone pellet therapy (an implanted pellet), and the difference is night and day. Unbelievable.

She came out of her downward spiral within a week, but she didn't go manic (which is what usually happens). It's early days, she has had the pellet for about a month, but this has been the most promising month I have seen her experience in about the past decade. Certainly it could be a coincidence, but it doesn't look like it to me. It's pretty affordable as well.

What triggered this? No more negative thoughts from her, Meeks. It's been amazing. I hope you find a solution! :rose:

A few more thoughts. I think you are tiny? Perhaps a children's dosage might be right for you. And something I wanted to share with everyone here:

I have a friend who suffers from depression, anxiety, manic bouts, etc etc. I have watched her suffer for years, and have posted here about her from time to time. She recently had bio-identicle hormone pellet therapy (an implanted pellet), and the difference is night and day. Unbelievable.

She came out of her downward spiral within a week, but she didn't go manic (which is what usually happens). It's early days, she has had the pellet for about a month, but this has been the most promising month I have seen her experience in about the past decade. Certainly it could be a coincidence, but it doesn't look like it to me. It's pretty affordable as well.

What triggered this? No more negative thoughts from her, Meeks. It's been amazing. I hope you find a solution! :rose:

I have things I'm going to try first. I suppose that the negative thoughts are not necessarily something I want to have just disappear. I don't think that side of me is something to be erased as it's in my personality. I do, however, want to have more days where I actually care about the world around me. The hormone pellet sounds like this stuff called Bio-T (sp?) which kind of freaks me out. I once had to sit in a waiting room several times while that infomercial played on loop.

And I do tend to take children's dosages or half doses because there are elementary school kids bigger than me. :eek:

I have things I'm going to try first. I suppose that the negative thoughts are not necessarily something I want to have just disappear. I don't think that side of me is something to be erased as it's in my personality. I do, however, want to have more days where I actually care about the world around me. The hormone pellet sounds like this stuff called Bio-T (sp?) which kind of freaks me out. I once had to sit in a waiting room several times while that infomercial played on loop.

And I do tend to take children's dosages or half doses because there are elementary school kids bigger than me. :eek:

Doing no research whatsoever, guessing Bio-T might be a particular brand name, but I don't know for sure. Whatever you do, keep trying until you are happy with the results! I'm telling you, it's not unusual for people to try every medication on the market, and then combinations of medications before they get it right. Just don't give up! :)

I have had to cut all communication with my mother who I believe has borderline personality disorder after her mean attacks on everyone present Christmas Eve. It hurts. This is not the relationship I want with my mother. I need to cry but can't. So many decades of pain.

Denny

---------- slight changes............>
Our adopted son, first grandson, was diagnosed ADHD/depression (and *very* high IQ, higher than mine or his mother's) early on. Through a myriad of cycles of psychoactive drugs and talk therapy, he seemed to find little or no relief from his symptoms, though he did try and sometimes succeeded for short periods of time.

We discontinued the drugs and sent him to charter schools. Working more one on one he did well and now has a decent job and girlfriend.
At less than ten years old he was doing complete rewiring of antique cars and street rods, welding, rebuilding engines, and doing body work.

It seems like every "bad" kid has ADHD or some other code name disease. When I was a kid they got their ass spanked and sent to their room. Eventually most grew up.......... or became mass murderers.

I'm not a doctor but love to play one on the internet. Your results may vary.

Last edited:
I'm not at all a fan of "ADHD doesn't really exist" or "spare the rod, spoil the child" philosophies. I know ADHD does exist. I know that hitting your child can damage them emotionally and otherwise.

I'm not at all a fan of "ADHD doesn't really exist" or "spare the rod, spoil the child" philosophies. I know ADHD does exist. I know that hitting your child can damage them emotionally and otherwise.

You're too kind. :rose:

I have had to cut all communication with my mother who I believe has borderline personality disorder after her mean attacks on everyone present Christmas Eve. It hurts. This is not the relationship I want with my mother. I need to cry but can't. So many decades of pain.

You've got to do what you've got to do, and if this means making the ultimate sacrifice of cutting your mother out of your life then don't punish yourself for it! Sometimes mothers aren't really meant to be mother's and are nothing but toxic!

Ill or not you can't make excuses for her, that's probably what others have done for all the years of pain that burden you now!

Thanks for understanding!

:rose:

You've got to do what you've got to do, and if this means making the ultimate sacrifice of cutting your mother out of your life then don't punish yourself for it! Sometimes mothers aren't really meant to be mother's and are nothing but toxic!

Ill or not you can't make excuses for her, that's probably what others have done for all the years of pain that burden you now!

Glad you are seeking help. Taking those first steps can be difficult to say the least.

Bumping this thread because I've been seeing way too many disparaging remarks about mental illnesses lately. One of which I read here on Lit today.

A link on mental illness stigma: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mental-illness/in-depth/mental-health/art-20046477

Hopefully this can help anyone currently afraid to seek help. :) Also, an update to say I did start treatment even though it took me months to work up to it.

Glad you are seeking help. Taking those first steps can be difficult to say the least.

Thanks. :) Getting there was so difficult and mostly because I put up my own roadblocks. After doing it I felt like such a weight was lifted.

It's very difficult to admit that you have a problem in the first place,mental illness comes in so many different forms,for me it took years even to tell someone

Back