What was the last book you read?

Also, coincidentally, Black Boy by Richard Wright. The first half is delightful, the second half is important to red.

Also Arafat, a biography, excellent, highly recommended, especially if one doesn't know much about the Palestinian struggle.
 
I just finished the wonderful The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman yesterday. Fantastic.

Not sure what to read next although I did start The Last Apprentice by Joseph Delaney, so I could see what my son is reading.
 
Mossad Exodus, by Gad Shimron. I left the book feeling rather ambivalent about it. The author seemed to try to make a daring spy adventure out of what I felt should have had a more emotional story. The author only hinted at the emotion that lay underneath this little adventure, but the few times he let it show I really appreciated it.

I think I would enjoy reading about this same .... event? From the perspective of one of the rescued.
 
Over the last few weeks, it's been:

Edge of Honor by Richard Herman ~ A rather interesting political thriller centered around the first female President who also happens to be single.

Mary Mary by James Patterson ~ A more than passable suspense thriller/mystery based a a serial killer taking out Hollywood big wigs.

Dark Angel by Karen Harper ~ The best of the three with a great blending of medical drama, modern-day Amish life, devious criminal acts and multiple suspects, and just the right amount of hints of an otherworldy visitor and romance.
 
Bread - one of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct romps. Pulp fiction but such brilliant dialogue and super holiday reading.
 
Haruki Murakami - the trilogy of IQ84...the ending sucked, an anticlimax - but absolutely brilliant up to that point.
 
Haynes Repair Manual 87010:
Saturn S-series
1991-2002 All Models

by Mark Ryan and John H Hayes

Not a bad manual for the electrical diagrams and OBD codes, going for the Chilton next.


HPbooks Auto Math Handbook
by John Lawlor

"Basic calculations, formulas, equations and theory for automotive enthusiasts."


I just started
Mopar Engines, 9th Edition, Part No. P5249704

by Mopar Performance

846 pages of "Speed Secrets & Racing Modifications For Chrysler V-8 & 6 Cylinder Engines."
 
Now I remember. "Sacré Bleu" by Christopher Moore; his books are pretty much always amusing.

Currently reading "V for Vendetta."
 
An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler.
An outstanding book, even if it can be boiled down (no pun intended!) to "Add an egg".

Currently reading Under the Dome by Stephen King. Might be awhile on this one, its a long book and I have discovered I can take my laptop to work and write between calls. *grins*
 
"Uncommon Carriers" by John McPhee. The man can write about anything and make it interesting.
 
'Riotous Assembly' & 'Indecent Exposure' by Tom Sharpe, brilliant, blackly funny lampoons of the South African police during the Apartheid era; funny, slapstick at times, but underneath always that sense of deep injustice and outrage the author felt at the regime.
 
Last edited:
The Fifth Foreign Legion - March or Die by Andrew Keith and William H. Keith, Jr.

When rebellion stands legion forces in enemy territory, Earth's soldiers must fight their way to freedom or death.

It's the first of three books by the father, son duo about the Foreign Legion.
 
I was amused to learn from the book I'm currently reading, Bruce Holsinger's A Burnable Book, that many English towns in the medieval period had a street called Gropecunt Lane, which was a center of prostitution. Can't wait to use that street name in a story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane
 
Some completely unforgettable freebie from Kindle.

As for the last good thing, one I remember the plot and/or the title of? I'd have to think a bit.

I don't suppose the ones I read to the kindergartners each day count.
 
Currently reading 'The Knights of Bushido' by Lord Russell of Liverpool, before that, 'Burma: The Longest War' by Louis Allen; I'm re-reading my war histories library to give me some proper flavour of the times, as I'm contemplating writing a story set in the aftermath of the fall of Rangoon.
 
Last book finished: The Annotated Sherlock Holmes vol.1
Current book: vol.2 -- that's 4 novels & 56 shorts total

The OP question is problematic. It should be more like, "Have you finished any good books lately?" Alas, I *read* (or start) many books but I *finish* few. Or I read chunks of anthologies but skip the dull shit (same as reading LIT) but I can't say I've read the entire book.
 
Back
Top