The Official Author's Hangout Earth Day 2013 Contest Support Thread

Oh, hell. You mean there already are 35 Lit. stories about uranium strip mining? :eek:

C'mon, be original. Write a sci-fi story about strippers at a mine on Uranus. :p

Oh, wait. That actually doesn't sound half bad . . . .
 
So, we're back to square one on how relevant theme is. ;)

Yep. Obviously, relevance has been stretched to the point of irrelevance in order to promote participation. Or maybe just to acknowledge that not everyone is going to pay attention to the spirit of the contest.
 
I think I've got a lock on theme this year. Uranium strip mining. :D

Hey! I was working on one of those!

Ok, ok, I'll change it to an oil spill. But I'm keeping the glow in the dark scene for next year.
 
Ok, ok, I'll change it to an oil spill. But I'm keeping the glow in the dark scene for next year.

No joke. The one forming in my mind now is oil spill. (But before you mentioned it.) And now that you have, I think I see the twist that's been missing and keeping me from writing it.
 
No joke. The one forming in my mind now is oil spill. (But before you mentioned it.) And now that you have, I think I see the twist that's been missing and keeping me from writing it.

Go for it. Mine is about three quarters done.
 
Thanks for the feedback, ya'll. I feel like it is on theme, because, as I said, the plot driver is the character with the Earth Day fetish.

We'll see how it comes out. I can always submit it as a non-contest story if I feel differently when it's done.
 
Thanks for the feedback, ya'll. I feel like it is on theme, because, as I said, the plot driver is the character with the Earth Day fetish.

We'll see how it comes out. I can always submit it as a non-contest story if I feel differently when it's done.

If you feel the story is on the fence, submit it during the contest and let Laurel make the call. It's not like you'll be penalized for it.
 
I don't think Laurel makes contest content calls.

Actually she does. I submitted a story one year, not even thinking about the ongoing contest. It's he only story I've ever had kicked back. It had a note suggesting i enter it in the contest. It didn't win but it did well.
 
Actually she does. I submitted a story one year, not even thinking about the ongoing contest. It's he only story I've ever had kicked back. It had a note suggesting i enter it in the contest. It didn't win but it did well.

That was going into the contest, not being kicked out of the contest on the basis of theme.
 
I can't think of any complaints from people about being kicked back for "off theme" on a contest, so SR is probably right.

Haven't heard of many people talking about stories getting kicked back with the suggestion to put them in the contest recently, so that may not be happening any more either.

Considering most of the mentions I saw were people complaining about having to wait again because they didn't want to enter the contest, it sort of makes sense.

I'm getting somewhere with mine, albeit slowly. I'm getting a tighter focus on the turning point, and a better idea of the flow that gets them there. Got a good idea on the Earth Day connection ( beyond the inherant connection present in every one of the Wood tales ) that's going to give me an opportunity to indulge something else I like to sneak into stories on occasion that always tickles me.

The characters are all getting clearer in my head, which is helpful for the next one as well, because my female lead this time is an identical twin *laugh*

It's the relationship between the two leads that's the kicker this time, though. Going with an entirely new angle for me, though hardly new ground in a larger sense. It simply isn't a trope I've used before, and I think it should do some feelgood tugging if I do it right :)

A peripheral character who probably won't appear in the story other than as a mention in dialogue is shaping up for a short story to finally get my "odd dryad out" Xannera attached as well. It's been bothering me for a while that she's hanging over my head -- lonely -- but every attempt at a full-fledged story has hit the wall because of who she is. There's just no way for developing anything more than an instant, fairytale love story with Xannera. A short story posted on my website tied to the newest main story in the series may finally get me where I want to go with her.

Then I'll have a whole other line of new characters to play with hehe.

The fact that I can even muse about this at all is a dramatic improvement over the last couple of months. I should have made inquiries about making some money as a motion capture model for a zombie movie.

I'll quit rambling now :p
 
My first Earth Day story is complete. I'll let it stew for a while, then go back and make some alterations before submitting it to the contest.

Now, back to my regularly-scheduled shtick already in progress . . . . :p
 
Finished one of my two drafts. I hope I can plow through the other in time...
 
Hello all!

I've narrowed down my idea...Non-consent/Group. I'll probably work on it this weekend. Once again, I intend to have it go live when the contest opens. Best laid plans and all that.

My Valentine entry spent some time at the top of the All-Time Text With Audio Top List, but my score has been chipped away so that I'm hovering around #3 now. Oh well...I guess it's a compliment that efforts were made to take my story down a few notches. I don't understand it, because I don't do that shit to others, but the bottom line is...it's not affecting MY bottom line. I got plenty of commissions from that story and lots of new lady fans! :)

Hope everyone is having a nice early spring!
 
I finished one a while ago and I'm half way through my second. Both incest; one brother/sister, one mother/son. Standard stories, nothing spectacular.

I'm already working on my Nude Day stories which I'm extremely excited for.
 
I'm thinking of fixing the emissions on my vampire sorority story and submitting it.
 
Wrote about 1600 words so far today. Don't know how much of it will survive the eventual editing axe, but at least the story is moving :)
 
Contest entry complete. Through final edit. Controversial, so it won't be winning any prizes, but it's nice to have the monkey off my back.

Now back to that Lap Mom's tale- took off without my meaning too. Finished chapters 6 & 7, looks like maybe two more to go. I really thought this was only going to be a 3 chapter saga. Shows how much I know...
 
Back
Top