NaNoWriMo is coming...

It helps that I work only until noon or 1 M-F, leaving me a good 3 hours to write before I start dinner. I know I could knock out more a day.

i dont have a job so i have no excuse... i just end up reading countless stories on here and begging for sex when hubby gets home. [no seriously, is getting ridiculous]

i really should be writing more and i have an insane sense of guilt seeing as i normally write more than this when not under a self imposed deadline...

I would have a better count if I stopped deleting. And yes, I know, deleting should wait until I edit the finished story. Tell that to the OCD screaming at me to change the previous sentence, or to look for an alternate word because I used that one two paragraphs back, or . . . :eek:

that too... i have always been bad with that, but i have given myself the strict rule not to agonize over things unless they effect the plotlines.

here are my rules:

1)If you cant think of 1 word for what you want in 10 seconds, use a shit one and highlight it so you know you wernt happy with it at the time and you can change in edits.

2)If you want to change a sentence structure but what is there will do the job, dont.

3)Anything can be fixed in editing. Getting something to edit is the issue.

4)GET THE DAMN STORY DOWN FLY.

that too... i have always been bad with that, but i have given myself the strict rule not to agonize over things unless they effect the plotlines.

here are my rules:

1)If you cant think of 1 word for what you want in 10 seconds, use a shit one and highlight it so you know you wernt happy with it at the time and you can change in edits.

2)If you want to change a sentence structure but what is there will do the job, dont.

3)Anything can be fixed in editing. Getting something to edit is the issue.

4)GET THE DAMN STORY DOWN FLY.

Yeah, I've tried all the tricks, all the tips, all the suggestions. What I turn out as a first draft is basically the finished piece.

Deadlines and requirements are the banes of my existence. I rarely partake in any such activity; it crushes my creative flow. I tend to write better (both quality and quantity) on my own schedule.

Nano is not going to happen for me. I'm getting so much good loving -- I have nothing left to sublimate! :cattail:

But I do have a good outline and skeleton plot, so that's my booby prize

I had a productive last few days. Sitting at 36,400, and hope to get a couple of thousand more in tonight.

I'm hoping to finish my 50K early enough to get some writing done for the Winter Holidays contest.

Good luck to everyone. Remember Ringo's immortal words: "I've got blisters on my fingers!"

Another story, or at least part two of a story, completed and submitted.

2,300 new words added to an old, now revised and extended, draft.

Total for November: 29,000

Three stories are now pending.

A new Winter Holiday Contest entry, wholly written in November, is ready for submission. That's a dozen or so words short of another 10,000. Added to the rounding-down in my previous figures, I'm on:

Total for November: 39,000

A new Winter Holiday Contest entry, wholly written in November, is ready for submission. That's a dozen or so words short of another 10,000. Added to the rounding-down in my previous figures, I'm on:

Total for November: 39,000

That entry submitted this morning, with a few extra words added after third reading that took it closer to the 10,000.

2,000 written today on a story that has just stalled. I know the ending but not how I get from here to there. I'll put it aside until after November.

Running total: 41,000

Last edited:
I was doing fine, keeping up and ahead of the average, but stalled on Sunday. Sitting at 33,243 right now and working on more. I need to get ahead, to get to 50K words before the 29th. I'm going to NYC for the Macy's parade.

Even if I don't actually meet the NaNoWriMo target of 50,000 words, I will have submitted six new stories in November.

That is a result, and more than I have done in some years.

But if I don't reach 50,000 I will come close. Or I might reach 60,000...:rolleyes:

Latest total 44,000

I made my 50,000 last week end. I have been attending all the write-ins and the retreats. The local NanoWrimo's are word war warriors and they really help to get the word count up quickly. I live halfway between two Nano locale's so I go to both, I don't think I would have done so well without them.

Word wars are set amounts of time 5, 10 or rarely 15 minutes of concentrated writing, whoever has the most words at the end of the time wins a small prize usually something silly as the prize is not the point of the exercise. We also do this in a chat room atmosphere for those that can't make it to write-ins most evenings. I always thought writing was a solitary hobby but i am finding that writing within a group can be very productive.

I made my 50,000 last week end. I have been attending all the write-ins and the retreats. The local NanoWrimo's are word war warriors and they really help to get the word count up quickly. I live halfway between two Nano locale's so I go to both, I don't think I would have done so well without them.

Word wars are set amounts of time 5, 10 or rarely 15 minutes of concentrated writing, whoever has the most words at the end of the time wins a small prize usually something silly as the prize is not the point of the exercise. We also do this in a chat room atmosphere for those that can't make it to write-ins most evenings. I always thought writing was a solitary hobby but i am finding that writing within a group can be very productive.

Nope, writing can be a group hobby. On Saturdays, I write at a Starbucks frequented by Law, Medical, and Nursing students. The large tables are usually filled with them, leaving me to fend for the medium tables. When I write, some of the students will come over and ask, politely, if I'm a professional or just a hobbyist. When I tell them it's just a hobby, they ask me questions, none rude, just want to know know what genres I do, if they can see examples of my stories.

Right now, there is a table of about 5 young women doing a NaNo write-in, totally unofficial. I can tell they've not taken any keyboarding classes: They hunt and peek worse than a grandmother on her first time at a keyboard LOL

I attended local write-ins for my last six NaNos. I rarely added enough word count to make it worth my time. The chatter was distracting. There was always someone getting a beverage, or needing the outlet, or comparing plots. With most of the group under thirty, and writing sci-fi, we had nothing in common.

This year, I knew from the beginning I wouldn't make 50,000. I'm good with that. I'm writing, and that's all I care about.

Another new Tripletit story just submitted.

Without counting all the words I have probably reached the 50,000 NaNoWriMo target with three Winter Holiday Contest entries (one as jeanne_d_artois), three new Tripletit Stories, and Part 2 of Harold Saves Her Husband.

If I can complete the Harold story with Part 3...

I'll have 50,000 words as Og, without jeanne's contribution.

It also means I have 200 stories as Og, without counting the 'poetry'.

Last edited:
Bump for final week.

How is everyone doing?

Remember - WRITE! Edit/amend next month.

I wish everyone good luck on this final week of NaNo. 50k doesn't seem like it would be difficult to accomplish in 30 days, but as most, everyone knows some days the writing flows swiftly from thought to fingertips, and then there are the other 29 days where the words trickle out like an irratating dripping faucet. ;-)

Winner
Winner
Chicken Parm Dinner

I finished!!!!

Congratulations on completing the challenge you set yourself.

NaNoWriMo has produced so many millions of words in the UK alone that they would swamp publishers. :rolleyes:

Wtg everyone! This was my first Nano and i have met some great people and had some amazing fun.

I am really glad I joined in. :D

Anyone else want to report their NaNoWriMo experience?

I spent most of the month dealing with medical issues. My word count maybe reached 10k. But I'm OK with it. I had other priorities this year.

Congrats to those who made the 50k.

Back