The Last Thing You Thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as The West Wing was... I've still not come across a show that's better than The Wire. Gritty as fuck, it's definitely an unflinching look at things, but even it's worst season is better than most show's best season.

TV shows are going to hell in a hand bucket. I swear, there's hardly anything decently good on anymore.

TV shows are going to hell in a hand bucket. I swear, there's hardly anything decently good on anymore.

There are a few good shows coming out of the UK recently, and over the last few years...of course am slightly biased :D

'Life on Mars' and 'Ashes to Ashes' were good but finished now, 'Sherlock' is amazing but way too short!!

Especially on network TV. They're not willing to give shows the chance to build an audience like they should, and they're more worried about numbers than quality.

That's not to say the cable and premium channels don't also worry about numbers, but their threshold seems far lower. Mad Men probably doesn't even get the ratings that would mean cancellation for most network shows, but because it's on AMC instead of Fox, it's one of the best shows around.

It makes you wish shows like Firefly and Arrested Development and Community would go for cable instead, just so they can keep making great television without the networks fucking around with them.

...apparently I have a lot to say about this.

There are a few good shows coming out of the UK recently, and over the last few years...of course am slightly biased :D

'Life on Mars' and 'Ashes to Ashes' were good but finished now, 'Sherlock' is amazing but way too short!!

Did you ever watch that Survivors show that was on a few years back? It was from the UK, and had a lot of potential, but the execution occasionally left something to be desired.

And, perhaps even worse, the second season ended on a cliff hanger, and there was never a third season.

It seemed like something that could make an interesting SRP here, though.

Did you ever watch that Survivors show that was on a few years back? It was from the UK, and had a lot of potential, but the execution occasionally left something to be desired.

And, perhaps even worse, the second season ended on a cliff hanger, and there was never a third season.

It seemed like something that could make an interesting SRP here, though.

shakes head

Can't say I did, no. Think I heard about it when it was on though.

yeah. I want to see "Life on Mars" that one has me curious.

Especially on network TV. They're not willing to give shows the chance to build an audience like they should, and they're more worried about numbers than quality.

That's not to say the cable and premium channels don't also worry about numbers, but their threshold seems far lower. Mad Men probably doesn't even get the ratings that would mean cancellation for most network shows, but because it's on AMC instead of Fox, it's one of the best shows around.

It makes you wish shows like Firefly and Arrested Development and Community would go for cable instead, just so they can keep making great television without the networks fucking around with them.

...apparently I have a lot to say about this.

I know what you mean. I'd like to see more shows go to cable and premium. Give them a chance to develop.

Numbers pay the bills, unfortunately.

....apparently you do. *snicker*

'Luther'. That was another good show. Period stuffs like 'Cranford' and the like are good too.
Then there's the 'Doctor Who' and so on.

grins

I think we might watch too much TV!

yeah. I want to see "Life on Mars" that one has me curious.

It was great, very British but fantastic. The follow up 'Ashes to Ashes' is amazing too!
We tried to watch the US version but couldn't make it through the first episode

shivers at the memory

shakes head

Can't say I did, no. Think I heard about it when it was on though.

It was an interesting, though not terribly original concept... flu wipes out most of the population, survivors start banding together, some good, some bad, resources are scarce, etc., etc.

There was some shadowy stuff that they had going on in the background that you'd get hints of every once in a while, but unfortunately you never got to find out much more about them.

'Luther'. That was another good show. Period stuffs like 'Cranford' and the like are good too.
Then there's the 'Doctor Who' and so on.

grins

I think we might watch too much TV!

I think the most recent British show I've watched is Downton Abby. Got on that train a little late. Heh.

Morning lovelies.

I slept. More or less. The short version...

I've been told I wont be cleared for active duty for another 4 months. Apparently there's a 6 month minimum for type of injuries I've had.

It's been curious figuring out what my options are instead.

Been keepin me up at nights, I think.

How are you folks? LoL.

Sorry to hear you'll be out for longer. But, that does mean you get to hang around here more. :p

-Hands Sia a cup-

Already made a pot for Cait.

Thank you! *smiles* You're awesome.

Morning, Sia and yes, he did. I'll share. Isn't he sweet? And he can't stand coffee.

He's a gem... you should think of keeping him. ;)

And thanks for sharing. Did you sleep through the night?

waves and smiles

Sleep well...?

I did, thanks. :)

I scanned over your topic above and agree TV is in a dire state for the most part. I loathe reality TV I wish it would die, but society seems keen on keeping around.

Current shows I enjoy: Castle, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Once Upon a Time, Grimm, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones and True Blood (though it has gone crazy batshit since season 3...lol... I still need to watch the current season.).

So fckin tired. Its not fair!! Was so ill yesterday so decided to sleep as soon as I got home. Barely got two hours before I woke up and then couldn't fall back asleep till nearly three am. :( up for work... And drowsy already. Not good.

So fckin tired. Its not fair!! Was so ill yesterday so decided to sleep as soon as I got home. Barely got two hours before I woke up and then couldn't fall back asleep till nearly three am. :( up for work... And drowsy already. Not good.

:(

I hope you feel better and are able to make it reasonably well through your day.

Thank you! *smiles* You're awesome.

He's a gem... you should think of keeping him. ;)

And thanks for sharing. Did you sleep through the night?

I did, thanks. :)

I scanned over your topic above and agree TV is in a dire state for the most part. I loathe reality TV I wish it would die, but society seems keen on keeping around.

Current shows I enjoy: Castle, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Once Upon a Time, Grimm, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones and True Blood (though it has gone crazy batshit since season 3...lol... I still need to watch the current season.).

I find I'm watching more and more comedies now. That, and, apparently rewatching shows that aren't on anymore. I'm just about finished rewatching House, and I just started Season Three of The West Wing. And I need to get into Breaking Bad. Oh, and I have like four episodes left on my second viewing of The Wire. And I have Sherlock sitting on my DVD shelf, waiting to be watched.

But yeah.. Mad Men, Homeland, The Walking Dead I suppose you could call a drama... Fringe I guess you could too. Or at least non-comedies. Other than Downton Abbey, I think those are the only dramas on right now that I'm actually watching.

I don't really know where else to stick this, so I'm just putting it here. Thought this would be interesting to see the answers to.

Without giving it much thought, sort of your gut reaction, how would you punctuate this sentence:

“A woman without her man is nothing”

I find I'm watching more and more comedies now. That, and, apparently rewatching shows that aren't on anymore. I'm just about finished rewatching House, and I just started Season Three of The West Wing. And I need to get into Breaking Bad. Oh, and I have like four episodes left on my second viewing of The Wire. And I have Sherlock sitting on my DVD shelf, waiting to be watched.

But yeah.. Mad Men, Homeland, The Walking Dead I suppose you could call a drama... Fringe I guess you could too. Or at least non-comedies. Other than Downton Abbey, I think those are the only dramas on right now that I'm actually watching.

Breaking Bad and Mad Men are on my list to check out. I started The Wire way back it was first on, but then gave up HBO, so I need to go back. I also have Luther on my list. I really love that Netflix has these so I can watch them when I have/make time. I found that I feel less need to make time for TV shows these days and I use to LOVE television as much as I love movies, but there is not a lot to love. My priorities have also changed as my life responsibilities changed. However, when I find a good TV show that pulls me I disappear and gobble it up. LoL

I don't really know where else to stick this, so I'm just putting it here. Thought this would be interesting to see the answers to.

Without giving it much thought, sort of your gut reaction, how would you punctuate this sentence:

“A woman without her man is nothing”

A woman without her man is nothing?

Breaking Bad and Mad Men are on my list to check out. I started The Wire way back it was first on, but then gave up HBO, so I need to go back. I also have Luther on my list. I really love that Netflix has these so I can watch them when I have/make time. I found that I feel less need to make time for TV shows these days and I use to LOVE television as much as I love movies, but there is not a lot to love. My priorities have also changed as my life responsibilities changed. However, when I find a good TV show that pulls me I disappear and gobble it up. LoL

Yeah, LOST did that to me as I've told you. The show and podcasts and websites looking for easter eggs in screen caps... it was kind of ridiculous.

But now, between having the internet and a DVR, I'm able to watch things on my schedule, or download them when I miss them, and it makes it a lot easier to keep up with shows. Ironically, it's movies I'm way behind on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back