Free Association Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the meaning of Life, The Universe, and Everything? :)

Forty-two, in short.

The Ultimate Question about Life, the Universe, and Everything itself is fairly simple and unimposing, in an understated and academic sort of way:

What is Life, the Universe, and Everything. Be concise.

The really interesting part, of course, is the derivation of the answer, 42.

Time is one of the two essential and defining dimensions of Everything, and is measured by change. The fact that things change - that is, things start, transform, and end - is what both creates and measures time, and that change is, in itself, Life itself. But Life must continue in the microcosm as well as the macrocosm, and its continuance can only be evident in a generation seeing the offspring of its offspring reach maturity. (Many biologists mistakenly think Darwinian fitness is measured by the number of offspring an individual has. It is actually evident only in the number of offspring an individual’s offspring have). For humans the average age of reproductive maturity is 14, and 3 generations would total 42 years. Life equals 42, and since Life equals Time, Time also equals 42.

Space is the other essential and defining dimension of Everything, and is created and defined by where things are, that is, the Universe itself. The totality of Space would equal where all things were, and Space, therefore, may be measured as the product of every place something or someone can be and every place something or someone cannot be. There are, clearly, 7 places where something/one can be: above, below, in front of, behind, to the left of, to the right of, and with something/one. Equally clearly, there are 6 places something/one cannot be: above, below, in front of, behind, to the left, and to the right of itself. The Universe, thus, is that Space created and defined by the product of those places: 7 times 6 equals 42.

Everything, of course, is the unity of Time and Space, and hence of Life and the Universe, and as we have seen these are all in an identity relationship:

Life = Time = Universe = Space = Everything, therefore the answer to the question “What is Life, the Universe, and Everything?” is 42.

We could be more concise if we counted in a quatuorcentivigintissimal system, where the answer would be 1. We however, use a decimal system and so the most concise answer we can offer is 42.

Quod erat demonstrandum by Tio Narratore

Last edited:
The Ultimate Question about Life, the Universe, and Everything itself is fairly simple and unimposing, in an understated and academic sort of way:

What is Life, the Universe, and Everything. Be concise.

The really interesting part, of course, is the derivation of the answer, 42.

(snip~snip~snip)

Quod erat demonstrandum by Tio Narratore

Thanks to that answer it all suddenly makes sense. :nana:

Now we can see clearly, but we still need to see at night.

Perhaps we should go down to "Electric Avenue"
[the first market street to be illuminated by electricity; it's in Brixton, London].

PS. Tio, that was without doubt, the best explanation I've seen.

For some obscure reason, my copy of Word 2003 has developed a curious and annoying problem. On occasion, I need to indent a whole paragraph. The usual thing its to highlight the block of text and then move the slider of the ruler (on the page top scale).

But it's suddenly started to move the whole text of the document.
What's worse is I cannot recall the name of this problem so I do not know where to look it up.
I know it's a "setting" in the 'tools'; can someone please tell me ?

Now we can see clearly, but we still need to see at night.

Perhaps we should go down to "Electric Avenue"
[the first market street to be illuminated by electricity; it's in Brixton, London].

PS. Tio, that was without doubt, the best explanation I've seen.

For some obscure reason, my copy of Word 2003 has developed a curious and annoying problem. On occasion, I need to indent a whole paragraph. The usual thing its to highlight the block of text and then move the slider of the ruler (on the page top scale).

But it's suddenly started to move the whole text of the document.
What's worse is I cannot recall the name of this problem so I do not know where to look it up.
I know it's a "setting" in the 'tools'; can someone please tell me ?

Thanks for the compliment, HP.

Sorry, I mostly use WordPerfect; it does those things perfectly, just the way an academic needs them. But for free association...

I Can See Clearly Now Jimmy Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back