My Wish For Today

"Were warmer," Thee; a conditional statement such as a wish requires the subjunctive. I wish people would make appropriate use of the subjunctive in English.

Yes, for if only all the english speaking people of the world would consistently and rigidly comply to the dicta of grammar you've had the privilege to master from texts written generations ago, the entire world would surely be transformed into the utopia of stagnant, communicative formality fervently dreamt of by millions since the dawn of sarcasm.

Yes, for if only all the english speaking people of the world would consistently and rigidly comply to the dicta of grammar you've had the privilege to master from texts written generations ago, the entire world would surely be transformed into the utopia of stagnant, communicative formality fervently dreamt of by millions since the dawn of sarcasm.

I can't quite imagine why some people upon seeing a comment, even tongue in cheek, about grammar, seem to leap to the conclusion that the writer is demanding blind and absolute adherence to established dicta. Language changes, and well it should. Our "rules of grammar" should reflect what is actually said, not what some authority deems "proper," but that is no reason to eschew a defence of the diversity that history has given us in support of a needless and boring simplification. Perhaps some would approve of our adopting "Basic English,"with its 2,000 words as all you'll ever need, but I would find it terribly boring.

Thanks, Tx. Normally, I'd run with it, but I'm terrified that Tio might inform me the correct term is waswiener.

:D Since he coined the word, I don't think he can honestly do that. Screw with you, yes, but then again everyone does that according to you. :D

I just wish I could say, "shit," at work without everybody going all over me about my choice of words while interviews are going on. Granted, I said it more than twice, but gees.

FUCK! I stopped the rolling green permanent marker from hitting the floor with my boob. Now, I have a big green blob on my uniform blouse. What else was I supposed to say? Hey, I coulda said, "fuck!" I was being polite and they didn't even give me credit for that.

I wonder what Tio thinks of my grammar, or gutter-gum-truck-driver language.:confused::D You guys are funny.:) Thanks for the smile--and stop picking on my Joisey friend. We all know they talk funny.:kiss:

I just wish I could say, "shit," at work without everybody going all over me about my choice of words while interviews are going on. Granted, I said it more than twice, but gees.

FUCK! I stopped the rolling green permanent marker from hitting the floor with my boob. Now, I have a big green blob on my uniform blouse. What else was I supposed to say? Hey, I coulda said, "fuck!" I was being polite and they didn't even give me credit for that.

I wonder what Tio thinks of my grammar, or gutter-gum-truck-driver language.:confused::D You guys are funny.:) Thanks for the smile--and stop picking on my Joisey friend. We all know they talk funny.:kiss:

Never met your grammar, Babs, but I wouldn't mind assessing your syn-tax. :D

You should have said "Oh, shucks!" an amalgam of both shit and fuck which, oddly enough, is acceptable to cry out in any social situation. Another good one is, "Oh, fiddlesticks!" a bastardized simplification of "fuck me, little dicks."

Okay, I made both of those up. But if you think it, you will believe it. It is release, not etymology, that matters here.

stop picking on my Joisey friend. We all know they talk funny.:kiss:

"Joisey" is a Blooklynism. We don't actually talk like that.

And, I have heard I sound like a midwesterner by two people, which is really odd seeing as how I have never been to the midwest...

__

I wish this congestion would go away.

I wish my left hand knew what my right one was doing. :eek:

While typing folks, now really.... :eek: :cool:

You should have said "Oh, shucks!" an amalgam of both shit and fuck which, oddly enough, is acceptable to cry out in any social situation. Another good one is, "Oh, fiddlesticks!" a bastardized simplification of "fuck me, little dicks."

Okay, I made both of those up. But if you think it, you will believe it. It is release, not etymology, that matters here.

That's priceless!

Do I detect a note of said sarcasm???:D

Can't wait to see what you learn tomorrow!
I'll take notes and get back to you tomorrow.

Oh shucks? Oh, fiddlesticks? Oh, pishaw? Oh, dangit? Like that would ever come out of my mouth.:rolleyes:

"Joisey" is a Blooklynism. We don't actually talk like that.

And, I have heard I sound like a midwesterner by two people, which is really odd seeing as how I have never been to the midwest...

__

I wish this congestion would go away.
Y'all talk like that. Don't kid yourself. lol I've been told I have an accent like the people in Michigan.:eek: I didn't know they had one.:confused:

I wish my left hand knew what my right one was doing. :eek:

While typing folks, now really.... :eek: :cool:
I thought it only took one hand and a good imagination.:devil:

Back