The Long Road Home (closed)

"Y'know," Ian thought aloud as he watched her. "I always thought it was a shame t'cover up beauty li' tha'." He stood to pull on his shirt, but he happened to glance down at the cruel scar dug into his skin. "... Never did tell ya how I got this."
 
"I can't walk around the halls of the keep naked. I'm sure that would just make people dislike me all the more." Sarah murmured as she fastened the ties on a dark blue gown of wool. "Besides, until you marry me, I won't be walking around naked anywhere."

She was teasing him, which was incredibly rare for her. She was making an effort to bridge the gap between the two of them, making him feel more at ease around her and less afraid that she would fly off the handle.

"I figured you would tell me about your scars when you felt like it. It's why I never asked." She murmured softly.
 
"Well... now's as good a time as any... an' sorta leads me to somethin' I was gonna talk to you about anyway." He sat back down on the edge of her bed and his fingers traced the line of the scar leading across his entire torso. It wasn't too different from the one Sarah knew Brogan had, from below one ear on his jaw across his chest to the opposite hip, which he'd received the night Cassie had been killed.

"About a year ago, I was working on expandin' my farm. I was on the edge o' my land, where Monaghan county meets Cavan county. Y'know yer father's always been on bad terms with Lord Phillip Cavan... Anyway, I was plowing an' this group o' armed men came out o' the woods an' took my plow horse. I tried t'get 'im back, and they set 'im loose an' came after me. I think there were five of 'em, and four held me down while th'last carved me up with a rusty blade. They told me tha' it was only fair fer takin' Cavan's lands. After they left, I managed t'get on my horse's back and into town where some friends helped me out. By the time I'd healed, those boys 'ad been back and killed my horse, destroyed my plow, and dumped as many rocks into my fields as possible so it'd be harder t'grow my crops. If not fer your father's generosity, I wouldn't have made it that year."

And she'd never heard a word of it. She'd always known Cavan hated Stephen, and occasionally people from the two counties got into spats, but this was just cruel.
 
Sarah listened to the story in silence. She had a look in her eyes that bordered on anger, but much to her credit, she kept herself under control.

"Then it seems that I will have to have a talk with Lord Cavan about entering my lands without permission." Sarah said softly, Ian knowing very well what she would say to him after meeting face to face.
 
"It's been gettin' worse lately... I've 'eard rumors about bandits, but... they don' sound like bandits. They were too well-outfitted t'be ruffians. I'm thinkin' Cavan wants t'start somethin'." Ian sighed. "I'm sorry t'bring more worries t'you..."
 
"They aren't worries, Ian. It is my duty as the co-ruler of this kingdom to know what is going on within my borders." Sarah said diplomatically. "And I will deal with anyone that threatens us swiftly."
 
"Y'sound like yer mother when I get on 'er nerves," Ian chuckled softly and buttoned up his shirt. "I'd be careful about Cavan, though. 'E gets crazier every year. Even 'eard some people sayin' 'e tried t'give 'is horse a title."
 
"Then I believe it's time that we give our horses titles." Sarah said as she turned and left Ian sitting there, calling for Shia as she walked down the hall to attend to business.
 
Ian was soon along behind her, and Shia came to Sarah's side just as she called. "What's on the fearless lady's list today?" Shia asked softly. It wasn't so much teasing as it was truth in his mind.
 
"I want you to go to the centaur camps outside of the city and inform them that I would like to talk to them this afternoon." Sarah said simply as she entered her office space. "Tell them I will reward them greatly."
 
"And what will you be doing?" Shia asked with a slight tilt of his head. He was a bit worried about the sudden mood she was in, but he was curious to know what she was so determined about.
 
"Nothing at the moment." Sarah said, sitting down behind her wide, polished wood desk. "I would simply like to meet with them."
 
"Don't do anything too rash," Shia warned her softly before he set off. It was just after lunch that the leading centaurs of the Hirim tribe arrived, led by the centaur Sarah knew personally, Taulin. She could hear them coming down the hall by their heavy hooves, and it was Taulin who ducked his head and entered her office. "Milady Monaghan," he pressed a fist over his heart in a centaur salute. "You called for us?"
 
"Taulin." Sarah said softly as he saluted her and stood before her desk. "I am glad to see that you and your tribe have been doing well here in Monaghan."

She stood from her chair and moved to stand before him, looking up into his gaze as she thought over her next few words carefully. "There has been a problem on our borders that has been brought to my attention. I am in need of fierce warriors that can help protect our lands from Lord Caven. My first thoughts went to you. Would you and your warriors be up to the task of patrolling our lands?"
 
"You have but to ask, milady," Taulin nodded. "I will speak with your wolf and arrange patrols accordingly." He was eager to prove his worth to her for the sake of his people keeping a long-term home in Monaghan. Their inclusion in the county had done wonders for trading within the county itself and a fair bit outside as well. People were excited to see the centaurs and loved to trade for their sturdy tools and medicines and creations.
 
"I will reward you for this task handsomely, of course. Please understand that when it comes to Caven, there is no such thing as failure." Sarah said as she looked at Taulin. "He has lost his mind and in his insanity I worry that he will do something rash. If that moment does come, I expect the matter to be taken care of swiftly."
 
"There is no need for a reward. We are repaying your kindness and proving our loyalty," Taulin insisted firmly. "I will gather my warriors. If more are needed, I can call upon werefolk to the west, new brothers and sisters of the tribe." He bowed before her. "Is there anything else, milady?"
 
"That is all Taulin. Thank you." She said, nodding her head towards him in respect as their brief meeting ended.
 
"I brought a fellow leader, an elder who would like to speak with you," Taulin told her softly before he stepped out. Barely fitting in the door came a large Clydesdale centaur. He was broad and strong and a bit on the older side, appearing to be in his sixties. He stopped before her desk and bowed with a centaur salute.

"Lady Monaghan. I am Linus son of Aries, second Elder of the Hirim. I come on behalf of our dying head Elder, Danto. I am to take his position when he passes. He has sent me to arrange the creation of an official declaration of alliance in peace and war between Monaghan and the Hirim."
 
Sarah nodded towards Linus as he stepped into the room, telling her that Danto was ailing. She was surprised to hear that he was so ill, but she knew that the centaur kept to themselves most of the time when matters were grave.

"Of course we can talk about an alliance. Perhaps we could walk out on the grounds while we discuss these matters. I'm afraid that I spend too much time cooped up in this building for my own good sometimes." Sarah said, giving him a rare smile.
 
Linus nodded and bowed his head to her, following her out to the Monaghan keep grounds. He seemed a bit out of place within a human settlement, but he was confident and attentive and it became quickly clear why he'd been chosen to succeed an elder. "My people have quickly become fond of your own and you. We were certain after we learned of your original encounter with Taulin that you'd refuse to aid us or allow us to settle within your lands, but you've proven a kind and gentle yet firm friend. Danto wished to meet you and thank you himself, but I'm afraid he'd never make it here. That is why I'd also like to ask you to come meet him yourself if you have the time and the desire to do so. I know you must be busy with your own people so he nor I will be offended if you cannot."
 
"Of course I will meet Danto." Sarah said, looking up at the broad man beside her. "I have time tonight to ride to your camp if that is agreeable."

"It does me no good to make enemies of everyone around me. I have seen what that can do to a kingdom." Sarah said bluntly. "I believe that you can be beneficial to me as well. Your knowledge of crops and herbs will bring medicine and food to Monaghan."
 
"And your people have already begun to bring new knowledge to my own, allowing us to understand the ways of this land. You shall have our help and our protection as long as we have yours when we happen to need it. A fair trade, wouldn't you say?" Centaurs and their kind, the Tuari Nation, were a people very invested in fairness and justice, and they had found Sarah very just as well and had decided they very much liked her. "We welcome you tonight if you wish."
 
"A very fair trade." Sarah stopped and glanced up at her companion, giving him a rare and heartfelt smile. "I will have the kitchens prepare meat for a feast this evening. In honor of Danto and our new relationship. If you would provide the rest of what is needed, we will share a meal together to cement this new bond."
 
"We will be ready, and we will welcome you in the best way our people know." Linus leaned down to take her hand and press a kiss to it, before he stepped back and gave her the Tuari salute. "Until then, milady. There will be warriors out by the road to lead you into our village." With that, he turned to hurry away to get things ready for that evening. As serious as the centaurs were, they were kind and welcoming as long as Sarah respected them, and she'd done more than just that.
 
Back
Top