My Wish For Today

"I wish I WERE..." Thee! Don't forget the subjunctive! and I wish you were happy and healthy as well!

For the record, that always bothered me. Thee wouldn't say, "I were happy yesterday."

I wish the english language made more sense. ;)

For the record, that always bothered me. Thee wouldn't say, "I were happy yesterday."

I wish the english language made more sense. ;)

It does; the subjunctive is conditional. "I was" is definitive. "If I were happier yesterday, today wouldn't be so depressing," for example. It can even take a past compound subjunctive: "If I had been happy..."

It does; the subjunctive is conditional. "I was" is definitive. "If I were happier yesterday, today wouldn't be so depressing," for example. It can even take a past compound subjunctive: "If I had been happy..."

One day I might understand all that. . . . .

???????????????????????????????

If I had taken the time to construct that sentence properly, instead of hastily tacking two words onto the end of it at the last second before posting it, there wouldn't have been the added discussion about how I messed it up.

If I had taken the time to construct that sentence properly, instead of hastily tacking two words onto the end of it at the last second before posting it, there wouldn't have been the added discussion about how I messed it up.

Thanks for the explanation, but you still would have missed the subjunctive. And I like to tease people about the subjunctive. So don't take it seriously, Thee, the subjunctive is largely ignored in modern American English.:)

Thanks for the explanation, but you still would have missed the subjunctive. And I like to tease people about the subjunctive. So don't take it seriously, Thee, the subjunctive is largely ignored in modern American English.:)

I wish I had a happy and healthy life.

Isn't a subjunctive a place where they put old submarines? :D

I'm still wishing people wouldn't argue. Teach me the right way, then make me remember. Oh, that's a really big wish.

I'm still wishing people wouldn't argue. Teach me the right way, then make me remember. Oh, that's a really big wish.

If you build a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. But if you set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
:D

Keep wishing big. :rose:

I wish this cold that I have will be over soon!

At least I got rid of the fever. :cool:

Is this a wishing thread?

If so, I feel this nineties rap classic belongs here:

I wish I was little bit taller,
I wish I was a baller,
I wish I had a girl who looked good
I would call her
I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
and a six-four impala

"I wish I WERE..." Thee! Don't forget the subjunctive! and I wish you were happy and healthy as well!

When I sing songs with if statements, I always change the "was" to "were." :eek:

Back