The Gambler's Ruin - (Closed)

EklectikChik

Literotica Guru
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Posts
3,253
(Re-started and closed for EklectikChik and Ravenloft)

Katherine backed away from her husband as he cast her a dark look and in that moment, along with many others in the past she wondered how on earth she could have been so naïve. Perfectly suited, with blond hair slicked back and face usually open and charming, Wilson was the picture of wealth and confidence. He'd charmed her with his dashing smiles, sweets and long walks when her poor little heart had been broken after the last of her relatives had passed on and left her orphaned. At the tender age of 16, Katherine had felt helpless and Wilson's attention had been quickly welcomed. He'd been a rock when the world around her had been crumbling, but soon after their whirlwind courtship and marriage, Katherine had been shown his true colors.


He wasn't quite the entrepreneur that he'd made himself out to be. Instead Wilson was a compulsive gambler and a lousy one at that. He had a cruel streak, pulling Katherine along, dressed indecently to draw attention away from his ways and tricks so that he could win. She was humiliated and ashamed every night she was forced to sit beside him, with a wealth of milky flesh bared for the others to leer at. When she refused, he took away her meals, pushed her around around with his strength and sometimes resorted to beating her where the bruises would not show.

“Don't push me again, Kat.” Wilson growled out, “We need this money, so put on the red dress now or so help me I will shove you in it myself.”

“Please Wilson...just one night. I just want one night.” She begged softly, flinching when he curled his fists and took a step forward. Tears of frustration filled her pretty blue eyes as she turned around and stepped around the privacy screen. With trembling fingers, Katherine slipped off her simple night gown and wiggled her body into his favorite dress. She despised the dress. It was a gaudy red, the material rustled obnoxiously and the bust line was so incredibly low she worried her breasts would pop out if she took in a decent breath. While she'd lost weight over the last few year, it still fit snugly, the corset synching her tiny waist until she struggled to breathe.

“Plump your tits and pull up your hair so it's hiding them.” He barked as she jerked on the laces of her dress, glancing at herself in the full length mirror. Plump? There was no need to plump. Despite her small waist and slender limbs, she still carried a generous enough bust for her frame. She fussed over her glossy locks, reluctantly pulling them up, leaving on a few ringlets to fall softly around her face and then emerged for his inspection.

His icy gaze took her in for a long moment and then he visibly relaxed. “See? So much easier when you behave. Now lets go and maybe we can catch a late dinner.”

Her empty stomach grumbled and he rolled his eyes, shaking his head as he grasped her elbow and led her out of their shared hotel room. A room situated in one of the busiest saloons and hotels around. One filled with working girls and guests alike. Instantly eyes were on her and she stiffened, trying not to drag her feet as men admired more than just her pretty face and Wilson led the way to his favorite table.
 
A stranger wearing a duster and a hat with a down turned brim sat casually at one of the tables, his head lowered so that only his lips could be seen. He was smoking and had a shot glass at hand while he idly shuffled a deck of cards. His feet were up on the chair next to him and he was leaning back in his seat.

When the two, Katherine and Wilson entered, it was almost as if he had sensed them comming as he lifted his chin ever so slightly and piered out from under the brim of his hat with one cold blue eye. He took his feet off the chair and leaned forward.

He expertly held his smoke while taking down his shot with one hand while cutting the deck with his other. With it finished he sat it upside down on the table and returned the smoke to his lips to take a draw.

He pushed the chair out with his foot while he continued shuffling his deck of cards, a wordless offer to come play a game with him.
 
Wilson nodded at several different patrons, studying the card tables around them as Katherine tried her best to look the part for him. Don't slouch, shoulders back, breasts up and high. Her back hurt from trying to stay stiffly into the position he prefers. She fought the urge to drop her gaze, two years of 'training' under her belt to keep him happy kept her gaze cool, almost icy as she avoided the lusty gazes that slid over her small, but curvy form.

With his arm hooked around hers, Wilson caressed her fingers, as was his way and led her around, smiling and looking like a proud peacock. His eyes soon settled on the opponent he wanted to play with. Katherine felt the shift, how his body tensed slightly. Her eyes moved involuntarily to the table and settled on the stranger before them as he eased her over.

Something about this man already set her on edge. Perhaps it was because she couldn't see his face. Unlike a lot of the men at different tables, he was not polished or showy. His clothes looked a little dusty, his hat casting a shadow over much of his face, so her eyes fell to his hands...large hands. Tanned, work roughed hands, but clean, with neatly trimmed finger nails.

Wilson pulled out the chair next to his and let her ease down. She kept her shoulders back and stiff, trying to to keep up her haughty exterior while Wilson grinned, flashing his white teeth as he settled some money on the table.
 
"Ma'am." The stranger said in a cool, dry voice as he promptly removed his hat and gave her a nod, his cobalt blue eyes involuntarily dipping toward her chest for the briefest of moments before he looked her pointedly in the eye. He wore two day stubble and a finely trimmed head of russet brown hair.

He turned his eyes upon Wilson then and nodded again. "Sir." He said to Wilson as they sat down at the table with him. He placed the well shuffled deck in the center of the table. "The game is Texas Hold Em, nothing wild. Shall I deal the two of you in?"
 
Katherine met the man's eyes, startled by their intensity. He wasn't classically handsome like Wilson, but the masculine shape of his face was certainly appealing. Even the stubble seemed to suite him. For a moment she wished he would place that hat right back into place, not wanting to see him watching her.

Wilson grinned, "The lady is more of a...lucky charm." He stated, "She won't be playing."

Katherine felt a slow flush crawl up her neck, and looked away, keeping her chin up, her back stiff, her gaze slipping to the window at the far enough of the saloon. Wishing she could get out of there. Away from both of them...alone and free. She lost herself in the day dream for a little while as the cards began to fall on the table and the game began.
 
The stranger shifted his gaze back toward Katherine for a moment with a subtle quirk of his lips as his eyes trailed up from her chest to her eyes and nodded to her again but said not a word. He turned his attention toward the game and began dealing cards.

An hour, several hands and half a fifth later Wilson was sweating and prodding Kat to distract the stranger so he could palm a few good cards. The stranger calmly took down another shot of whikey that Wilson had bought for the table and thumbed through his hand of cards. He seemed almost bored as he leaned back and patiently waited for Wilson to make his play.
 
Last edited:
Katherine could tell that Wilson was beginning to panic...and that made her stomach roll. The last time she had failed to distract his opponent, he'd not only took out his anger on her with his belt, but left her hungry for several days to teach her a 'lesson'. Thankfully she'd gotten good at certain tricks...stashing away bread for such occasions. Stale bread was better than the pangs of hunger.

Swallowing, she shifted in her seat and tried to lean forward, wincing as Wilson practically dug the tip of his boot into her shin. His eyes shot darts at her as she lay a slender hand on one of the strangers arms and forced on a smile. God let it be a smile. She prayed. She should say something...anything...flirt! Only she didn't know what to say or how to go about any of those things. She was supposed to just look pretty...tempting...out of reach, but distracting enough. Apparently the stranger didn't find her tasteful enough. Part of her was relieved...and the other part was filled with dread.

Her big blue eyes, lighter than his own almost pleaded to him, her pale smooth skin looking a little paler.
 
The rough skin of the strangers forearm was warm to the touch of Katherine's cool fingers and the steely muscles beneath twitched slightly at her caress. He slowly looked up from his cards at her hand, then into her eyes. He seemed to study her for a moment and his lips parted with the slightest hint of a smile.

"Let me pour you a drink, ma'am." He said as he drew his arm away and grabbed the fifth of whiskey. He put his hand down and grabbed a shot glass, poured her a shot and sat it in front of her. He poured another for Wilson and another for himself. Lifting his shot to his lips, he gave them both a nod and muttered. "To a new day." Then threw it back, his adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed.
 
Katherine didn't drink, but at that precise moment she felt as though it would be the only thing that would keep her sane...she had to keep her wits about herself.

His warm skin had felt strangely nice her finger tips, making her tingle to life. She wasn't sure if she liked that sensation or not, but his slight smile made her draw back. Those eyes seemed to see right through her and she was afraid of what he might see.

Stiffly she sat back as he poured them drinks and then bravely took the shot and downed it. The alcohol burned, making her eyes water and her body heat up. Not at all what she needed. But to her credit, she didn't cough or wheeze, avoiding the glare that Wilson gave her.
 
Wilson took his chance to draw an ace from his sleeve while the stranger was drinking. He had a hand of two already. They went back and fourth, seeing and raising each other with a growing air of tension, the stranger gave no sign of folding.

Finally, Wilson had put everything he had left into the pot and it came time to show their cards. He was confident he was going to win... However fortune had it in for him that day. He layed his three aces on the table with a self satisfied grin, confident in his win.

The stranger looked at Wilson's play, looked at his cards and calmly displayed his cards one at a time. A king, another king and a third king. An ace... and a final ace. A chilling quiet fell over the table, no one breathed in the tension of the moment.

Wilson stupidly went for his gun but the stranger was on his feet in an instant and with a flash drew his own piece that had been hidden under his duster this whole time. He was strikingly tall as he leveled the barrel of his polished silver six shooter between Wilson's eyes and cocked it, the ivory handle resting snugly in the grip of his confident hand.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, friend... This doesn't have to end badly, you know... I'm a reasonable soul and you look like a dealing man yourself, so what say we make a deal, and you can walk out of here alive. Sound good?"
 
Katherine was so startled by what happened that all that came out of her ruby lips was a startled squeak. Her eyes were impossibly big and wide as she starred up at the man holding the gun to Wilson's head. For a split second, she wished he would just got ahead and pull the trigger, shame following instantly after. What sort of woman had she become, wishing such a horrible fate?

Swallowing, she held very still, afraid to move. A bead of sweat trickled down the side of Wilson's face as he slowly lowered his gun and set it on the table, holding out both his hands. "You're right...lets discuss this as...gentleman." Wilson finally spoke.

Katherine watched the stranger motion for him to push the gun his way. Wilson did with a surprisingly steady hand, though his face was pale. A large tanned hand took the gun away from his grasp and slowly the gun that pressed against her husband's head was retracted as the tall man slowly sat back down.

Katherine felt a little bit lightheaded as Wilson straightened himself and the hush that had fallen on the place slowly faded out to normal noises...people laughed and music played as the men regarded each other. "So...what do you propose?" Wilson finally asked.
 
The stranger considered for a moment, his eyes locked on Wilson while he thought. Finally, he reached out and pushed the pot toward Wilson. "You take this, go out, enjoy yourself and give me the night with your woman here, no questions asked." The stranger said flatly as he returned his gun to its holster.
 
Katherine audibly gasped, those pretty blue eyes filled with shock and a little outrage. She was prepared for Wilson to object. To put up a fight or something, but his eyes gazed at the pot in front him instead. A muscle flexed in his jaw as he seemed to weigh the stranger's offer.

"Wilson." Katherine whispered, her voice wavering slightly.

"Shut up." He hissed out, his icy gaze making her shiver. Her lips pressed tightly, forming a thin red line as hurt and betrayal filled them. The answer was on his face, plain as day. She shook her head, but all he did was slide back into his seat and relaxed.

"I think you just struck yourself a good deal, mister. One night, no questions. I'll be expecting her bright and early."

Katherine trembled in her seat, unshed tears almost blinding her as she tried to blink them away. "Please no...Wilson."

His cool gaze fell on his lovely wife, but he didn't budge. "Behave yourself." Was all he said and she knew what that meant. Put up and shut up."
 
The stranger watched the two of them exchange words in silence. Leaning forward when Wilson made his decision, he extended his hand to seal the deal with a hand shake. "Pleasure doing business with you, sir."

The stranger stood and donned his hat, turning to face Katherine. He held his hand out to help her up with a polite smile. "Ma'am? I'll escourt you to my room, if you please."
 
Katherine looked up at the stranger and then back at Wilson. He didn't look at her, calmly collecting his 'winnings'. Appalled and hurt deeper than she could imagine, she slowly extended her hand until his firm fingers gently, but firmly caught hold. Her hand was soft and small in his, almost dwarfed by his larger hand.

A deep flush colored her cheeks as she stood on trembling legs and tried to pretend that this was natural. It would be alright, she told herself. Though inside her stomach was rolling. Her husband had sold her...like a common whore. And if he did this now...what would he do later? Sell her again? Every time he lost? The thought made her shudder and she tightened her grip on the strangers hand, her fingernails digging without thought.
 
The stranger never took his eyes off of Kate as she extended her hand to take his. Her fingers were slender and smooth as they slid into the palm of his hand. She blushed brightly and her legs seemed to tremble as she rose, but otherwise held herself up with an air of dignity.

The stranger placed his other hand under her elbow and drew her to his side. He led her up to the bar where he ordered an expensive bottle of wine. He let go of her hand and linked his arm through hers and took the bottle, continuing on up to his room.

He opened the door for Katherine and handed her the bottle, motioning for her to enter. Stepping in behind her, he took his hat off and placed it on the foot of the bed. Then he lit an oil lamp with a flick of a silver plated lighter. "So, ma'am, do you have a name, or shall I just call you ma'am?" The stranger asked as he turned around to face her, taking off his duster and placing it on a chair next to him. He wore a clean white, well pressed button down dress shirt and black dress pants far too expensive for a typical bar room gambler.

"You can call me Martin." He added, unbuttoning his shirt while he stared at her.
 
Katherine held the bottle of wine in a death grip, afraid she would drop it at any moment. When the light flickered on in the room, she gazed about. It was similar to her own, only a little larger. The bed had been made, looking clean and inviting, plenty big for two people. A small table and chairs sat near the one window, a privacy screen in the corner and to her surprise, a rather large bathtub which was already filled with steaming water.

She didn't dare ask as she moved to the table and put the bottle down before she made a total mess of things. Her stomach clenched, with both hunger and dread.

Her gaze jerked towards his as he asked her the simple question, her eyes darting to his fingers as he began to unbutton his shirt. Her face paled as she swallowed and hugged herself. He was so much bigger than her...taller and broader and more powerful that Wilson. She had no doubt that if Wilson could easily knock her about that he could do the same...or worse.

Martin. His name was Martin. She almost laughed, though she wasn't sure why. Nerves. It had to be it. Finally she spoke, her voice just above a whisper. "Katherine."
 
"You're looking a little pale, Katherine... Here, eat this, it will make ya feel better." Martin said as he paused from unbuttoning his shirt and reached into a satchel setting on the floor at the foot of the bed, he produced a large red apple and tossed it lightly to her.

He rose with a sigh and continued unbuttoning his shirt. "Well, Katherine, if you don't mind I'm gonna strip down and take myself a bath now. There's more apples in the satchel and feel free to crack open that wine." Martin said as he drew off his shirt and tossed it on the bed.

He turned around and began unbuckling his belt, his tanned shoulders flexing as he did so. drawing the belt free, he glanced back at her over his shoulder and gave her a slight smirk. "Gonna watch, are ya?" He asked. "Well, I suppose I'm okay with that, but it will cost ya a back rub. That sound fair?" Martin strectched and flexed his back and shoulders before unbuttoing his pants.

He paused and looked back at Katherine to see what she would decide.
 
Katherine was a little surprised, but caught the apple without fumbling too bad. She gazed at it a moment and flushed when her stomach growled. He didn't say anything about it, but what he did say next made her flush even brighter. She'd been caught staring as he stripped off his shirt and flexed his muscles.

Her big eyes widened and quickly looked away. He was an imposing figure, towering over here and twice as wide if not more...with broad shoulders, powerful arms and back. His skin was tanned, making her believe he worked without his shirt on quite often enough. She couldn't help but compare Wilson to him. Wilson was such a...pretty boy. His looks were classic, but he was average in height, lean, but powerful enough to hold his own if he so choose...but Wilson rarely did. He wanted other's to do his dirty work.

"I...I'm apparently yours for the evening...sir." She finally spoke, trying to keep her voice neutral. "If a back scurbbin' is what you'd like, then I have little choice in the matter."

Stiffly she bit into the apple, and chewed, her stomach clenching with hunger. She winced and chewed faster, swallowing and biting into it again. It was crisp and fresh and sweet on her tongue and before she knew it, she'd devoured it. She remembered he'd told her she could have more, but was too afraid to move. Unsure of what to expect.
 
"Hold on right there, Katherine, I didn't buy no slave and I sure as hell didn't pay for a whore. You have every right to choose as you like tonight, you got that? That being said, I sure could use a nice rubbin down, but I ain't gonna force ya, okay? And call me Martin, damn it, I ain't no Sir." Martin said, the hint of a country accent slipping into his voice.

He eyed her sternly for a moment, but his looks softened quickly as he noticed how fast she'd devoured the apple he gave her. He gave her a look of concern for a moment then knelt down and pulled a couple more apples out for her to eat and sat them on the bed. "Here, I'll look into ordering some real food after my bath for us to share."

He turned away and casually slid out of his pants and underwear giving her only a brief moment's look at his naked body before he stepped into the tub. Sinking down into the steaming water with a long groaning sigh, he said. "Ah, now this is nice." Splashing some water on his chest and rubbing his face.
 
Katherine was surprised and a little relieved, but confused as well. If hadn't wanted her to be his whore or maid, then what DID he want with her? Cautiously she took another apple after jerking her gaze away from his firm, sexy behind and took a big bite, forcing herself to chew slowly and thoroughly before swallowing.

His groan made her glance back his way. He was probably saddle sore and worn out. Part of her felt guilty for not giving him what he desired and the other part was afraid. But after the second apple was finished, she regarded him as he took a sliver of soap and began to lather his chest and arms up.

It wasn't as though she'd never seen a man bare before...living in saloons and being married exposed her to certain things. Things she usually shied away from and didn't want any part of, but they were there just the same. Moistening her lips, she regarded her slender fingers a moment and the simple gold band on her left finger. Bitterness welled up inside her, but she swallowed it down and sighed. "I'm sorry...for being a little short with you. I guess I'm just...confused. As to why you would want me for the evening..."

She felt her face heat up again and dared not look at him. Despite her fears, she stood decisively and slowly walked around the tub, careful as to not look before she slowly sank onto her knees behind him. This proved to be too low for her, so she sighed and stood back up, fetching a chair and moving it to where she had knelt, sitting her bottom down. "Lean forward, please..."
 
While Katherine ate a second apple Martin lathered himself up and whistled a lonesome tune, something he'd no doubt heard out on the dusty trail. He trailed off as Kate spoke her confusion. "Ah, no harm done, Katherine..." Martin began, trailing off as he watched her come kneel behind him for a moment. He nodded and chuckled to himself as she brought a chair over instead. "Much obliged, Katherine, much obliged."

He leaned forward, took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "It's a lonesome world, plenty of unhappy people out there. It just looked like you might have been unhappier than most, so I thought a night apart from your man might do you some good. I hope I wasn't wrong." Martin said in a quiet voice as Katherine lightly touched him.
 
Katherine cleared her throat softly, reaching for a little soap herself before she spread soap over his back. Her small dainty hands worked over his skin first and then began to gently, but firmly dig into his sore muscles. She'd watched her own mama do this to her father before they had passed on, sitting by the fireplace, talking about their days as if they had not a care in the world.

The memory brought stinging tears and she quickly blinked them away. "You weren't...wrong." She said softly and left it at that. "Hair?"

Her fingers gently tugged at his russet tresses, which were in fact, a little oily and matted down in spots where his hat had sat. Before he could object, she grabbed the small pitcher of water next to the tub and slowly poured it over his head. It was luke warm, but not too shocking.
 
Martin nodded, quietly enjoying the treatment katherine was giving him. He closed his eyes and sighed softly as she lathered soap up in his hair. Her fingers massaging his scalp relaxing him. He rested his arms along the edge of the tub and leaned back with a content smile. "Mmm, you're pretty good at that, its relaxing." He said, opening an eye to glance at her.

He noticed her eyes looked glossy. "...He beats you... Doesn't he?" Martin asked softly, reaching up to touch her cheek. "Such a lovely creature... He don't deserve you." He whispered.
 
Katherine jerked away and finished scrubbing his hair and scalp. She looked ashamed, feeling transparent under his sharp gaze. "Does it matter? Many men beat their women. I am sure I am not special in that sense."

Rinsing his hair carefully, she left him there before to relax. Her skirts rustled as she picked up the last of the apples he had offered and sat back down near the window to eat. "Have you been married before?"
 
Back
Top