Ella's Curse-closed

"With Grimm gone and Merr not far behind, I think there is little reason for me to stay." Her friend explained. "We could find any sales records in the master's study, but that's where the General spends most of his time drinking or sleeping when his drink has gotten the better of him."

Azzie thought for a moment then asked, "I've never been free? What would be do? Who would feed us?"

But if Ella had a plan or answers to those questions she would have to act soon. Merr's last herbalist gave him days, if not hours to live.
 
"It's a list of unknowns my friend." she said softly. "But the good news is that every decision we make will be our own. We will just have to clean up and carefully rifle through his paperwork until we find what we are looking for. He's passed out most of the time anyway."

She wasn't sure how she felt about Azzie wanting to go with her. It would be more difficult with an infant in tow. But they would find a way to make it work. At this point there wasn't another option. If the General put them up for sale, it was possible that Sorvin would buy her out of spite.
 
"Should we take turns? That way one of us is always on watch?" Azzie was a bundle of nervous energy. The study was large and papers could be anywhere and everywhere. Footsteps didn't help as anyone from guard to servant could be walking down the hall heading their way, like now!

The girls had to hide as someone approached, door opening and a figure stepping in. It was one of the servants and he immediately went to the desk, opened a drawer and instantly found a specific key as if he knew it was there. The young portly man closed everything as silent as a cat and far more graceful than one would expect of a man of his girth.

Just like that he was quietly slipping out of the room only to start making his footfalls heavy again as he walked through the halls. Azzie moved from her hiding spot and walked to the desk, "That was Garland." she whispered, "I would never imagine he could be as quiet as a mouse. As if he puts on a show of being clumsy and loud when seen."
 
"He's probably going to have them locked somewhere. Not just laying out for us to find when cleaning. Ella went to the book shelf and began to move random books, until one didn't move. Pulling it down like a lever the case opened like a door. Behind it was a shelf with a box. "we're looking for a key that opens a lock" she advised Azzie closing the bookshelf.

"we've been in here to long. We'll just have to keep our eyes peeled for it."
 
They key to the hidden archives was proving to be much harder than expected. The death of Merr was a mixed blessing as the whole manor turned it's attention to his funeral and the attendance of the old General to be presentable. Servants were constantly going where needed on a whim and it was this mass confusion that put the women in the path of a steward who knew of a hiding place that only the General and 3 others were aware of.

Kal stole a moment to meet with Azzie and Ella while preparations for a banquet were underway. He explained, "the General has been a paranoid man long before he was a war hero. Yes, he has an archive that has 3 keys and only 3. One is on his person at all times. When he drinks too much he entrusts that key to the head of his guard Bour."

Bour was a tyrant of a man, and would only be addressed through stewards like Kal. He refused to speak to the servants directly and punished those who broke that rule.

"There are two more, should Bour have no choice but to dispose of the key. And I do know where one of those are... but I know what you're planning and in exchange for my information I demand you take me with you when you flee."
 
Ella raised her eyebrow slightly at the word 'demand'. She however wasn't about to get into semantics over manners with Kal. "You may come with us, but tell no one else. If you betray us, i'll say it was your idea." She gave him a sweet smile.

If they were going to see their plan to fruition, they would need to leave quickly before the general got it in his head to sell Merr's toys. She was glad that she didn't conceive with Grimm.

All she wanted was freedom and the chance to fall in love, and be someones wife.
 
It was only the next day that Kal was true to his word and came to Ella with the key to the hidden vault. "I know, not, why you need this but I have kept my word. I assume you will do the same."

Inside the vault Ella found more than just bills of sale, but also wills and trusts. A fortune in paper that any document forger could use to alter and turn paupers into princes. With no one around, Ella was free to make any changes to anything in the vault given enough time. Her first problem was taking them and stashing them somewhere, if such a place existed, then finding time to make the needed corrections so they looked real.

Her other option was to find a document master to change, or forge, the alterations.
 
Ella didn't have time to read everything so she took it all and closed the vault re locking it. She found Kal and slipped him back the key. When she had the time to go through everything, she began to formulate her plan.

The Will and Trust were set up to go to his heirs. If not Grimm, then Merr. It had never crossed the old mans mind that both of his sons would be dead before him. She knew enough to know that she had to get this done by someone with experience.

The Bills of sales she sorted and found hers, Azzies, and Kals. Azzies was going to have to be adjusted to include her child. The rest of the staff was on their own. She couldn't risk her plan being found out.

A couple days later she had the opportunity to go to town and get supplies. Finding her way to a forger that was known for the occasional bribe for the right price, she made her way to see him. "I need this to be amended" she said holding the paper to the man in his office. "It should read that if neither of the for mentioned heirs are living, that the entire estate and it's contents are to be sold and the proceeds left to his former slave and confidant Ella Cinder." She held up the bill of sale for Azzie "this one needs to be amended to include her child."
 
The forger, hidden in plane sight as a book maker and scribe, examined the documents for a moment. He didn't take long, simply focusing on 2 or 3 important aspects of the documents then set them aside.

"This, I can do for you. But, any fool with half a brain and a steady hand can amend a document. What you also need is the supporting documents. I can change these documents to read and way you would like. But, should someone want to know 'Why' someone would leave their fortune to a... servant, one would want to know 'Why'. It's forging the answer to that question that separates a craftsman from an artist, and I am certainly an artist."

He looked over the documents then shook his head, "No. I will need a ledger as well. Your best chance is to remove you as a servant. Forge papers that you are an heir, probably born out of wedlock. It will be a shameful story, but one that grants you legal rights to the fortune you wish the General to bestow."

Putting the papers down he leaned back, "There rest is rudimentary. I think seven thousand gold crowns should cover my skills and effort." He looked Ella over, clearly seeing no obvious way for her to pay the gold he'd requested upfront.
 
She sighed, there was always something blocking her. "I can get the ledger, I can probably get at least half of what you require, and pay you the other half when this comes to fruition.

"In the mean time I could also work some of it off. I could clean, cook, or ..well i'd let you determine how you wish to be paid."
 
The forger let that settle in his mind for a moment, then sat back with a nod. "I normally don't offer credit, but if the interest payments are... service related, then I'm sure I can find motivation for accepting. I will start this when you bring me 3,000 crowns. Then you will do- various services while I work on your documents - afterwards I will keep them until the final 3,000 crowns are delivered."

The math seemed to indicate he was shaving 1,000 crowns off the deal. If he was aware of this he didn't seem to notice.

"Do we have an agreement?" He offered his hand for confirmation of the deal. It was going to be an underworld pact, meaning he would fulfill his part of the bargain. If he didn't, he would not be trusted ever again.
 
Ella sighed internally, she had a feeling if he was like most of the men she'd encountered in her life that the services she provided wouldn't be the ones she mentioned. But really, what choice did she have?. She was going to need to become a thief to get the 6000 crowns. But in actuality she was a thief with her plan anyway. She would sell whatever jewelry Grimm and Merr left behind. It's not as if it would be missed. Merr had a lot of woman's jewelry that he dressed the girls up in. Also she had the trinkets that had been given to her from her last employer and Sorin. Azzie would have to help.

"You have a deal" she said lightly giving him a curtsy.

Ella came back to the manor and found time to advise Azzie of what they needed to sell. They would have to do it in various places to not draw attention. Finding Kal she advised him that she needed him to find the ledger.
 
Kal was able to produce the ledge with easy and Azzie felt she wouldn't have any problems getting close to, if not, the actual first half. The problem was that she'd have to use various sources and have to reduce the cost for people to take the risk. It would mean selling items that should have cost 150 crowns for 50 or even 30. Still, she knew what was at stake and true to her word she was able to get the first 3,000 within a few days.

Still this was taking longer and the Generals health was declining at an alarming rate.

When he got the initial funds to the scribe, he gave her the first in what would be a series of services. "Go next door. Tell my wife you are there to clean the floors and wash the dishes. She can enjoy the day with our children. Shouldn't take more than a few hours of your time. Well worth any interest rates of a Back Alley Coin Lender."
 
Ella nodded thanking the clerk and went next door informing his wife she was there to clean the floors and wash the dish. Luckily it wasn't to big of a task. She made quick, ample work of it, and was done with in three hours. Making it back to the manor before she was missed. Not that anyone would really miss her.

There always seemed to be something to lift and sell, and soon she had gathered half of what was left owed to the clerk. The old man was deteriorating further. She brought up her concern to the clerk, in hope he could get the papers done quicker. She didn't want to loose out on this plan.
 
The old man looked over the stack of crowns now 1,500 in all. "Truthfully? I have your papers. It shows you as the child of Stoneharts Brother, who's wife died before he did some time back. They had no children of their own and many would admit it was a loveless marriage. She was known for taking servants as her lovers regularly, Mason didn't seem to care and oddly, she never managed to carry an heir to term. All died stillborn. Many claim she had a sickness in her blood. Regardless, you being his illegitimate daughter Ella Winters will grant you at least half of what is to be willed to the General's heirs."

He leaned back, taking the crowns from the table and securing them under laced fingers, "The problem I have, is that I can't just give you the papers and expect you to pay me the remaining balance. Once you have my work, there is no reason for you to come back. No, I'm afraid I've lost much to that way of business in my youth. I need the remaining balance in some form or another."

He paused reading the expression on her face and laughed, "No, my dear. I'm an old man with a wife and more kids than I know what to do with. These bones are tired and no effort to breath life into what embers of lust might still remain in them is worth over a thousand crows. No, I'd pay 30 for a woman to try, and even then I could fall asleep as she attempted. No, no. I need the coin or something I'd be willing to spend that much coin on for my business or home."
 
"What if i could sell you a woman, that would clean and is wonderful with kids.? In return for the debt being forgiven and taking her and her child in, and that she would be freed after 2 years? It would give you a lot more free time to spend with your wife, and it would ensure you kids were taken care of and house was always spotless?"
 
He was silent for just a moment as he considered, "Make it 3 years. That's 500 crowns a year. Considering you're also asking me to house and feed 2 more mouths in my home, you're lucky I don't make it 4." He was playing hard ball, Ella, could tell but he had a point in that he would be providing room and board for two more which would incur extra expense.

The only question now was if Azzie would go along with the trade.
 
When Ella returned she found Azzie and sat down with her. "I hope you don't get to mad at me, but i had to make an arrangement in order to get the papers. The clerk will except you and your son into his home for three years, and then you'll be set free. I will set up an account for you and your son that will gain interest while you're working. You know that it would be difficult with us running. The way i have it arranged, we'll both be free women. It was either this or the plan fails, everyone work will be for nothing. He's a good man, there will be no funny business. Its him his wife and kids. You'll be in your element Azzie, and well taken care of till the wee one is old enough to travel. I'll also arrange for you to come see me. Tomorrow come with me, and i'll introduce you."
 
Azzie seemed overwhelmed at first, then took a breath and nodded. "Okay." She finally said, "Okay. I mean, it's only 3 years, and it sounds far more dignified than any life I imagined. At least my child will be safe." She smiled and jumped in for a tight embrace.

"Oh, Ella. You are truly my friend." She pulled back, "But what of you? What if anyone asks? Do I even know you? And, are you sure you're willing to continue with just Kal? I worry that, the moment the gets the upper hand, he will take advantage of you."

-----
The following night, the General died. The last living member of the Castle was now gone. Papers and ledgers were already in place removing Kal, Ella and Azzie from any invoices. It was as if the three had never existed. While Kal was now free to do and become anyone he wished, Ella's requests made her now; Ella Winters. The daughter of Mason Stonehart who had a mistress named Alice. A document supposedly given to Alice from Mason would grant Ella rights of Heritage.

The funeral was set for 3 days time. Ella Winters would have to make her first appearance then and there and meet "family" that never knew she existed. Kal had packed his things, while the rest of the servants prepared the home and themselves for potential new owners.
 
Ella was thrilled when Azzie agreed. "I will be fine, he may not even choose to go with me. I will try to buy out your contract with the clerk. Thank you Azzie, you are truly the best friend a girl could have."

------
She was glad they had moved as quick as they did. She was now Ella Winters. Meeting the family wasn't something she had wanted to do. But there would be hopes of getting what she had worked so hard to steal. She had given her body to Grimm, and this was her due reward.

After the funeral, and the will, she would be gone from this place for good. She could start a new life. The girls she had come to know would be coming with her. They just didn't know it yet.

----
The family was not too happy about the discovery of her. Yet they didn't seem to dispute that it was possible. Some snubbed her while others were being overly friendly in the hope of a hand out.

They reminded her very much of her step mother. Ella made quick inventory and went to work selling Masons existing servants. She hired a reputable solicitor to sell everything and anything.
------
A week had now passed and she had more then enough to start her new life, and more money would be coming. Addressing the girls she had brought with her. "Ladies, my name is Ella Winters, i am the bastard of our late Master. Those that wish for their freedom may ask, those that wish to come and serve me may do so. I promise ye' will never be used illy again."
 
More than a few had instantly taken Ella up on her offer and turned, leaving without so much as a glance back at the woman who'd freed them. Some of the younger girls, however, just looked among themselves. The broken faces and confused looks among the few remaining girls, by chance the one with the fairest faces, was as common as green leaves on a tree in summer.

After a moment one of them, Alyson, spoke up for the group, "M'Lady, you say we will not be treated ill, but what does that mean?"

Once Ella had explained, the girls spoke again and Alyson nodded, "The few who remain would like to be your..." she was truly at a loss for words. They were not to be slaves, but she had no understanding of what it meant to be working for a someone who was to pay her for freely working for her.

****

Some time had passed and Ella had to find a new place to live. Though she was now wealthy she was not able to afford anything lavish. A small homestead would suffice and the elderly man who'd lost his wife was more than reasonable with the offer.

The homestead was a large stone forged home with areas for live stock, though the Master Geggor had none. He was well into his twilight years. The house needed work as lack of upkeep and funds prevented him from servicing it and there was no staff to tend to the basic cleaning.

Only one servant remained, a strong able young boy by the name of Kaz. He was the grounds keeper, Master Greggor's servant and the repairman all at once. He was clearly overworked and looked older than his youth might assume. Still, it was clear Ashley and the few servant girls who remained found him pleasing enough. But Kaz could not be bothered with such attention during Ella's visit, as there was always something on his list of chores.

The homestead needed new roofing that Kaz was always patching, it needed all new masonry work as Kaz would be patching one area only to have to go back and patch another, and without live stock he would have to go into the local village to buy food for he and Master Greggor.

Greggor himself was a former map maker and his home was decorated with the maps of his design in the past. While his eyes would not allow him to see the details he could spin a yarn about any map he made by memory.

It was in his study that Greggor sat with Ella, whom he could not see, and offer his homestead for sale. "As you can see, Mistress Winters, the home is in need of much work. I know my price is 'shavings of a crown', but I wish several thing that may take more of your funds if you do take my offer. I ask that you also take Kaz into your service. He knows these grounds but he is also over worked. He would need help, at least 2 or 3 people. Secondly, I ask that you let him build me a small place to rest my head. My wife, Maya, has had her earthly remain on this land and it is where I wish to die and have my remains sunken. If you could agree to these things, they would be worth far more to me than the actual value of my lands."
 
"There will be more then enough work for young Kaz, as instead of patching i intend to have a new roof placed on, and an additional room added for my girls. We will also brink life back by building up the fences and barn and living off the land. It is a modest but humble living, and one we all desire. The girls in the mean time will cook and clean for you for a modest wage if you are in need. I will let Kaz find a couple helpers as well. I am not rich you understand, but i believe with enough investment we will have brought a light to your humble home."
 
The days and weeks went by as everyone settled into their new home and new roles. The ladies, in particular, were enjoying their new found freedom and almost immediately they all started to work their way through the farm hand Kaz. He didn't seem to mind and the women were more than happy to share him without envy.

Kaz was also proving to be quite the foreman despite his youth. He hired only 2 other workers, replacing them both in a matter of days before he found the right people. It was clear he had no interest in spending the Lady of the house's money needlessly. He still continued his duties enjoying a break from time to time as one of the servant girls doted upon him from time to time.

Even "Master Greggor", as the women had labeled him, enjoyed a weekly visit from his small home to a dinner in the main house. He would be treated to wine from his own stock as he spun tales of his past and the adventures he's had. Being a map maker was not the same as a simple printer. His courage became legendary as he modestly explained many a near death experience in the efforts to make one map or another. He even made the less exciting ones sound colorful as he explained the local customs he and his group would violate sooner or later and the diplomacy needed to escape embarrassment. Master Greggor was a man of many hats.

While Ella's money wasn't running through her fingers she would, eventually, have to find a way to bring in funds. For now that need would be months away, even as the tax collector came by to collect. It was on the first visit that Lethe, a dark haired young woman with almond shaped eyes, came to see Ella saying, "M'Lady. A man is here to collect the taxes. I saw the seal and Kaz said he IS the same man who comes to collect every month. I didn't know what to tell him. I didn't think it was my place."

She waited for Ella to advise her. Normally this is when the Court is informed of a change of ownership. Sometimes extra fees are incurred to pay those who have to update the records but for a property such as this, the fees should be minimal.
 
Ella had a plan for their little homestead. As soon as it was able she would start with live stock and crops. She was as frugal as possible with the funds making every pence stretch as far as it could. They had the means, just had to make it happen.

As the taxman came to visit, she had often heard of people giving favors and getting off with less taxes. Ella figured she just had one of those weird bodies that returned to purity. So she offered her virginity to the man for a break on the taxes.
 
The Tax collector was an older man, but with a head still full of silvered hair. His skin sagged at his jowls and his round shape and extravagant rings reminded her of one of the many men who'd paid for the pleasure of her ass. But, as this man didn't seem to recognize her it was possible he may not have been anywhere near her mother tavern and brothel.

As soon as Ella had offered herself to him, he smiled and put away his ledger as if this were a natural progression of a conversation. "I find it hard to believe that a woman of your... fortune hasn't been with a man before. Or that you're willing to give up the on thing you can never barging with again for simply one month's taxes and filing costs."

He gestured for her to lead the way, presumably still intent on having his way with her body regardless of what she said next. As he followed her to the bedchamber he continued, "If this turns out to be a rouse, know that I still wave your filing fees but I'm afraid an over plowed field is of no value."

Once in Ella's room he closed the door and began to remove his over coat saying, "Strip and lay on your bed."
 
Back
Top