Seeking some hot reader-on-reader action

rebel_code

Really Experienced
Joined
Jun 12, 2018
Posts
124
Or maybe, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours."

I haven't had much luck yet finding a beta reader for my work. HeyAll did graciously offer to critique my story "Double Seduction", which went on to become my best-received so far. So I realize the value, but I get that most people don't have the time to read a whole raft of stories as a volunteer editor. So I would like to propose a mutual relationship with one or two other Literotica authors.

What do I bring to the table? First (throwing modesty aside), I have a solid grasp of the mechanics of writing. Spelling and grammar errors and typos scream out of the page at me. I'll find those devils for you, and anything that looks iffy I can look up.

Second, I grew up with a book in my hands. They tell me I had a book in my crib; not sure if they're kidding or not. Out of the tons of fiction (lots of SF, but also a lot of mainstream literature) I've gone through in my life, I feel that I've picked up a sense of what makes fiction work. One example: I'm completely turned off by the wall of deadpan backstory exposition that starts off so many works here. It's supposed to be a story, not an essay! Another: I can be happy with a character who is quickly and concisely drawn, as long as they're not a complete cardboard cutout. I can tell the difference.

What am I looking for? Pretty much the same thing. I talk a good game, but I'll be the first to admit to blind spots when it comes to my own writing. That's why beta readers exist. I want to be read by someone who is as critical as I am.

A little bit about my writing: I have stories published in Erotic Couplings, Incest/Taboo, Exhibitionist & Voyeur, Group Sex, First Time, and Sci-Fi & Fantasy. I don't write multi-chapter serialized epics; I write short stories. They average around two to three Lit pages. My longest just made it onto page five. You won't have a problem getting through one of mine in a sitting. Someday I may have the hubris to try a novel, but that day isn't today. My current completed first draft, which I am eager to get another pair of eyes on, is for the Mature category. It's an older man/younger woman story and comes in at around 5500 words.

So, got a story draft that needs a fresh view? Let's trade! Feel free to take a look at my stories first and see if you think I know what I'm talking about. Then PM me or reply in the thread, whichever you're comfortable with. Tell me something about what you like to write, give a link to your story page if you've published here before, a description of your story you want read, etc. If this experiment works out well, it could become an ongoing arrangement.

By the way, I'm pretty open about what I'm willing to read, but I don't want to read about anything excretory or non-consensual, sorry.

Oh, one more alternate tag line: I'll letcha be in my dream, if I can be in yers!
(Bob Dylan said that.)
 
Since you're offering to trade beta-reading services with other authors, you might get more traction by posting your request in the Authors Hangout.
 
Several tiers of editing

I've edited several pieces in the past with only two criteria for editing a piece: Do I like it a lot? And is it already close, meaning that there's not much besides what I think of as the first and some second tiers of editing (1: spelling, tense, word choice; 2: extraneous words and the like)? Mostly stuff a good writer with another pair of fresh eyes would catch, and also the sort of thing that tends to jump off the page for me.

I took a look at "Grace's Rose Garden." I like it and there's not much that wants changing, so ... engage:

"an afternoon to shift" [nix "to"]
"if I choose to and how I choose to" [nix "to" 2x]

I have to say, absent magic this is pretty similar to some what I've written here, especially my teaser for "Crossings." I wouldn't mind looking at something else you need a fresh pair of eyes for.

My stuff
 
Thanks for the kind words, MetaBob.

As you can tell, I eventually gave up and submitted the story without any outside editing. I'm just surprised and disappointed that there wasn't more interest in what I was proposing. I had one nibble, but when I followed up on it I was ghosted. So it goes. At that point I couldn't be bothered waiting anymore. The story is doing pretty well, so I can't be too unhappy on balance.

I appreciate the editing offer, and may take you up on that with a future piece. It might be a while, as I have several writing projects going now not all of which are for Lit.
 
Back
Top