Congratulations to President Obama!

At least some good came out of this discussion. It derailed Trysail. :D

He must not have any charts or graphs on pot smoking in Florida. :eek:

This is a bit out of line

Mikey, this is one of those arguments that isn't worth getting into,

Not worth getting into (besides the fact that he "got" into it all on his own)? Is this you showing again that, when it doesn't serve the purpose of your one or two issues, something like drugees roaming around high on the highway is something beneath you "getting into"? That you can just suspend all of your principles as long as you are "winning" on your single political issue? How convenient it must be to have such a simplistic take on life.

Stella was offering me some good advice which I am now ignoring at my own peril. I guess that I will start to treat you guys like I do my family. They are all Jehovah's witnesses, and like the Amish there are some things that you are best not to bring up with them. Their minds are so stuck in the rut of their beliefs that they can't see straight. I will have to bring the honesty down a notch so I don't push you guys too far beyond what you think is right.

There is no need to get snippy with her. Not when you are in the middle of a friendly conversation. I hope that your biggest worry is that I am going to run you down with my car while I am in one of my drugged stupors. I hope that is your biggest problem, because if that is the case, you don't have any problems.

Well other then your desire to slip into a fit of assholish behavior when you hear about someone who isn't marching in lock step with the national goal of a drug free america. That seems like a problem that you two should work on.

Being opposed (for the good of everyone else on the highway and adjacent sidewalks) to someone driving a car while high isn't a religious thing--nor is it a political thing. It's pretty much common sense and a concern for the health and safety of innocent bystanders.

judge me on my record

not on your feelings about what you think might be the case. I would put my driving record up against yours any day.

In such things, we judge on the potential. Who wants to attend funerals when they could have prevented the deaths? Again, I'm all for the police getting someone high on drugs off the roads.

You're probably a worse menace by not recognizing you are a hazard to the safety of others (assuming you do drive high, which you've already claimed you do).

(And since my driving record is spotless, you could do no better than even by putting them against each other. My driving record isn't the point of anything here, though.)

Last edited:
At my age, my record is more important than my 'potential'

Pilot, I am tending to agree with Stella, this is a pointless conversation. I tell you that I have driven hundreds of thousand miles safely and you tell me that I shouldn't do that because I might have a wreck because I am smoking.

I think you are wrong to take that stand when you know nothing about me other than the fact that I am willing to be honest about my life.

I guess it is your right to believe what you want to believe. But you should take anything the government tells you about drugs with a grain of salt.

Haave a nice day Pilot and watch out for all those other old hippies who might be out there without my driving skills.:D

Fact is smoking pot is like drinking in that there becomes a "tolerance" and I know a lot of people who are at a point they "perform" pretty much anything better while high or in some cases buzzed.

As for driving in particular I want to point out how much of a subconscious act it has become for us.

How many of us have gotten up, driven to work and then not remembered driving there? Our minds were in a fog and our bodies on autopilot.

we stopped at stop signs, red lights etc... while in some type of "trance"

I would much rather see the police truly do their job and pull over all the idiots who can;t stop talking on their cell phone and texting while driving.

sadly I see as many if not more adults doing this than kids.

Pilot, I am tending to agree with Stella, this is a pointless conversation. I tell you that I have driven hundreds of thousand miles safely and you tell me that I shouldn't do that because I might have a wreck because I am smoking.

I think you are wrong to take that stand when you know nothing about me other than the fact that I am willing to be honest about my life.

I guess it is your right to believe what you want to believe. But you should take anything the government tells you about drugs with a grain of salt.

Haave a nice day Pilot and watch out for all those other old hippies who might be out there without my driving skills.:D

Keep going with this, I want to see how long it takes before Pilot starts talking about his CIA spy trained driving abilities.

Also remember that mister spoiled silver spoon white collar was taught to be afraid of those irresponsible hippies like you

They're bad people!:eek:

Pilot, I am tending to agree with Stella, this is a pointless conversation

Well, then, just stop posting to the issue. I only respond to what you post. You haven't posted an excuse yet that I accept as concern for the welfare of anyone else (or even yourself).

Well, then, just stop posting to the issue. I only respond to what you post. You haven't posted an excuse yet that I accept as concern for the welfare of anyone else (or even yourself).
He doesn't need to make excuses for anything. Nor is it your job to accept them.

Thread jack alert. This thread is now a defense of pot while working thread.

Fact is smoking pot is like drinking in that there becomes a "tolerance" and I know a lot of people who are at a point they "perform" pretty much anything better while high or in some cases buzzed..

I start every day with a breakfast roll. then I go to work. I feel very confident to do what I know. As far as driving goes, I believe that if you waited until you were forty before you learned to drive, you will never be a 'good' driver. At least not as good as you would've been if you learned younger. I grew up driving and it is as natural as walking for me.

While I am very confident of my abilities when doing something I know, I would not try to learn something new while I was high. It is for that reason that I question the use of pot by high school students.

On the other hand, I think that your brain is receiving millions of signals from your body all the time. I think it has a system to strain out the ones of lesser importance and allow only some to pass. I think that pot changes the straining mechanism to allow things that would have had no importance to be considered as being important. For a student that was at the college level, maybe that might not be so bad.

I used to install sun-roofs in new cars, I would go out and center the template and then drill a half inch hole down through the roof and through the headliner into the interior of the car. Nothing says commitment like a half inch drill bit. I was high all day long then too. In all the years that I did this I never had a complaint. I couldn't have stayed in business if I didn't do good work. Nearly all my jobs came from word of mouth. Most of my customers knew that I smoked, maybe not how much I smoked, but I smoked while I sewed with many of them watching over my shoulder.

I think it's fun that the thread has turned from congratulating the president on his reelection to a defense of pot. Maybe the OP will come back and post to this. :D And I'll leave you to that discussion, as I haven't used it and personally, from what I've read/heard isn't as addictive and probably has more beneficial properties than tobacco (which I also oppose and think should be as unlawful as any other habit-addicting drug). If it came up on a ballot, I'd probably vote to lift the ban off of it. But if tobacco came up for a vote I'd as quickly vote to ban it. But I don't support being high on anything and getting behind the wheel of a car.

And the point here is what's illegal and what isn't and what the job of the police is. It's not their job to pursue what's legal rather than what's illegal just because of your--or anyone else's--personal preferences. It's not a tradeoff of something else you (or I--I think cell phones are more harmful when driving; I keep mine in the trunk of the car) think should be illegal in substitution of what is illegal.

Don't want it? Get the law changed. Until then, it's the law. But as far as the police, I most certainly want them enforcing actual laws rather than activities that are illegal in the jurisdiction yet. My observation is that they are getting pretty lax on pot even if it's the law--my own city council recently passed a directive to the police department to lay off minor drugs as a priority in enforcement. That, legally, is as far as they can go. This is a separate discussion than putting drivers high on anything on the road, though.

Last edited:
Back on topic:

The price of gas fell again, down 5cents a gallon here in upstate NY.

There are talks, rumors, gossip that Apple will bring a manufacturing plant close to my home, in southern Saratoga County, near a silicon chip manufacturing plant. This would be great for the area.

Back on topic:

The price of gas fell again, down 5cents a gallon here in upstate NY.

There are talks, rumors, gossip that Apple will bring a manufacturing plant close to my home, in southern Saratoga County, near a silicon chip manufacturing plant. This would be great for the area.

Some of the drop in price of gas is a changeover to the cheap-to-produce winter mix.

It's always good to mention that Americans have nothing to complain about concerning the price of gas compared to those in the rest of the world. Yet another perk the government that the ultraconservatives like to bite the hand of is providing its citizens.

Some of the drop in price of gas is a changeover to the cheap-to-produce winter mix.

It's always good to mention that Americans have nothing to complain about concerning the price of gas compared to those in the rest of the world. Yet another perk the government that the ultraconservatives like to bite the hand of is providing its citizens.

Over the last two months, it's dropped a total of 40cents.

The ultraconservatives/Tea Party members in Congress should be ashamed of themselves, placing politics over the good of the country. Yes, the rich DO need their taxes raised. To the point of the rebust Clinton area, maybe, but to say "NO TAX RAISES" is assinine.

I start every day with a breakfast roll. then I go to work. I feel very confident to do what I know. As far as driving goes, I believe that if you waited until you were forty before you learned to drive, you will never be a 'good' driver. At least not as good as you would've been if you learned younger. I grew up driving and it is as natural as walking for me.

While I am very confident of my abilities when doing something I know, I would not try to learn something new while I was high. It is for that reason that I question the use of pot by high school students.

On the other hand, I think that your brain is receiving millions of signals from your body all the time. I think it has a system to strain out the ones of lesser importance and allow only some to pass. I think that pot changes the straining mechanism to allow things that would have had no importance to be considered as being important. For a student that was at the college level, maybe that might not be so bad.

I used to install sun-roofs in new cars, I would go out and center the template and then drill a half inch hole down through the roof and through the headliner into the interior of the car. Nothing says commitment like a half inch drill bit. I was high all day long then too. In all the years that I did this I never had a complaint. I couldn't have stayed in business if I didn't do good work. Nearly all my jobs came from word of mouth. Most of my customers knew that I smoked, maybe not how much I smoked, but I smoked while I sewed with many of them watching over my shoulder.

Personally I have nver touched pot nor have I ever taken a drag on a cigerette. I do like a good buzz from my friend JD now and then.

I noticed that when doing things I've done for years like Playing pool and darts, my game gets better Unless I get real falling down drunk, but with a good buzz I just relax and let the game take over.

On the other hand I still occasionally enter karate tournaments and don't think I would fair all that well drunk. :D

3.49 on average in RI

However the wife lets her stop and shop points add up and she only paid 2.35 a gallon yesterday.

amazing to think when I started driving in 1984 it was about .89

3.49 on average in RI

However the wife lets her stop and shop points add up and she only paid 2.35 a gallon yesterday.

amazing to think when I started driving in 1984 it was about .89

I remember filling the tank of my 78 Chevy Monza Spyer in 1981 for less than $10!!

I remember filling the tank of my 78 Chevy Monza Spyer in 1981 for less than $10!!

Monza Spyer? Goddamn don't hear those mentioned too often.

I remember my sister had an amc Gremlin that she filled for about that.

I also remember filling my Suzuki intruder for about $2.50

I remember driving all the way from the east end of Sunset Blvd to the beach, just to enjoy the drive. And then coming back via Mulholland Drive-- fighting the tight turns all the way. Just because I could.

I can't afford to do that now. :(

ETA That was an Alpha Romeo...

Monza Spyer? Goddamn don't hear those mentioned too often.

I remember my sister had an amc Gremlin that she filled for about that.

I also remember filling my Suzuki intruder for about $2.50

It was a present from a bunch of modified racers and crew members when I turned 17, after winning a heat race and finishing second in the feature the weekend before. It was an alomst presitine car, the only damage was to the engine. The crew members and a driver put a new small block 283 in it. They wanted to put in a 305, but my dad told them no, I wasn't supposed to have a better engine than him LOL

It was repainted a candy apple red, a black silhouette spider was on the hood. I drove it to and from school only on Fridays: The only day I had to go to work right after school. I didn't drive it to my first love's prom, instead I had a 71 Monte Carlo, it had more leg room LOL

It was a present from a bunch of modified racers and crew members when I turned 17, after winning a heat race and finishing second in the feature the weekend before. It was an alomst presitine car, the only damage was to the engine. The crew members and a driver put a new small block 283 in it. They wanted to put in a 305, but my dad told them no, I wasn't supposed to have a better engine than him LOL

It was repainted a candy apple red, a black silhouette spider was on the hood. I drove it to and from school only on Fridays: The only day I had to go to work right after school. I didn't drive it to my first love's prom, instead I had a 71 Monte Carlo, it had more leg room LOL

When my sister had the Gremlin I had a 1974 Dodge magnum(man I wish I still had that baby!) Her boyfriend didn't have a car and anytime they went out she wanted to borrow mine.

She got away with it twice before my old man realized why exactly it was she wanted to take the bigger car(she claimed it was to double date then one night my parents went to the drive in and saw her there, with him, alone, in the back seat:eek:

Back