Trump compared to Churchill

my favorite churchill quote:

dowager: you, sir, are drunk!

churchill: and you, madame, are ugly but i'll be sober tomorrow.

that sounds like something trump might say if he had an education, wit and a vocabulary. unfortunately, his response would have probably been "yor stoopid".

Be ok if it were a Churchill quote. From a old W C Field film.
 
This is the Lady Astor/Churchill quote:

“Nancy Astor: "Winston, you are a drunk!"
Winston Churchill: "And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning."

She got a good one off on him too (Lady Astor, an American, was the first woman in the UK parliament):

Churchill explains that having a woman in Parliament was like having one intrude on him in the bathroom, to which the Lady Astor retorted, "Sir, you are not handsome enough to have such fears"

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/7768096.Nancy_Astor_the_Viscountess_Astor
 
One drank, spoke coherently, wrote elegantly, served in the military and worked hard.

The other has done none of the above.
 
Comparing anyone to Churchill is hard because he was such an unusual figure. The only President that resembled him at all was Theodore Roosevelt, who, like Churchill, was brilliant, highly nationalistic, nominally a member of the conservative party but politically flexible, served bravely in the military, was well read and was a capable author of many books.

There's one way in which I'm very glad Trump is not like Churchill: he doesn't drink. I would hate to think what a drunk Trump would be like, or what he might do.
 
This is the Lady Astor/Churchill quote:

“Nancy Astor: "Winston, you are a drunk!"
Winston Churchill: "And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning."

She got a good one off on him too (Lady Astor, an American, was the first woman in the UK parliament):

Churchill explains that having a woman in Parliament was like having one intrude on him in the bathroom, to which the Lady Astor retorted, "Sir, you are not handsome enough to have such fears"

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/7768096.Nancy_Astor_the_Viscountess_Astor

W.C Fields film. It`s a gift. As Yogi Berra once said " I really didn't say everything I said
 
W.C Fields film. It`s a gift. As Yogi Berra once said " I really didn't say everything I said

Here's another on for you to quibble about then.

"I am reminded of the professor who, in his declining hours, was asked by his devoted pupils for his final counsel. He replied, 'Verify your quotations.'"
 
Churchill Quotes

One quote attributed to Churchill to I think lady Astor was when lady Astor said to him :Winstone, if you were my husband I would poison your tea:, Winstone,s witty reply was Lady Astor, if you were my wife I would drink it.
 
Better comparison than to Churchill
Il Duce had a past as a published drama critic. He could write. Tromp can't. A better parallel might be Idi Amin, the ex-UK-army boxing champ who took a nation and ate much of it. Watch out when Tromp raises a fork.
 
I have seen many posts comparing Trump to Hitler. I thought a little balancing was in order. He's really not much like either, but he's probably less unlike Hitler.

The main difference between Hitler and Trump is that Hitler spent the formative years of his life as an embittered loser in Vienna after he failed to become an artist and an architect. This is where he learned to hate Jews. In Vienna he saw many Jews who were successful artists and architects. While living in poverty he acquired other animosities as well.

Trump has failed at a few things, but he has never been destitute. He has always lived well. Because he does not hate the way Hitler did he is less dangerous.

The similarities between Trump's personalty and Hitler's are due to the fact that they are appealing to the same demographic. Their core constituency consists and consisted of angry white men who are angry because they have been losing ground economically.

Karl Marx thought people losing ground economically in a capitalist economy would be attracted to the left. If they belong to the dominant ethnicity they are more likely to be drawn to some form of populist right wing movement.
 
Back
Top