Matriarch's Gallery

matriarch

Rotund retiree
Joined
May 25, 2003
Posts
22,743
I've been looking through everyone else's galleries, and thought I'd give it a go myself. Not exclusively drawings, but also photography.

Many of you have already seen quite a few of my photographs, posted on the photographic thread, so I won't be able to repeat them (for some reason Lit won't let you post the same picture attachment twice??)

Not quite sure where to start, but as I've been posting pictures from the web of plants, flowers, shrubs and trees on that thread, though I'd post a few of my own of the same things.

This first one is a close up of a pink azalea. I was very pleased with it.
 

Attachments

  • azalea.jpg
    azalea.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 451
A few year's ago, I did a whole series of pencil drawings of wild grasses, as a housewarming gift for a friend. This one is my favourite.
 

Attachments

  • grass.jpg
    grass.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 198
I was commissioned to design a series of 'Stations of The Cross', using the theme of hands. The designs were then made into tapestries, which were blessed by the bishop and hung in the local church.

This is one of my working sketches for 'Pilot Washes his hands.'. It wasn't used, but I still prefer this to the one that was chosen.
 

Attachments

  • hands-+-water.jpg
    hands-+-water.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 188
Mattie! I had no idea you dabbled in art. Those azaleas are gorgeous!

A tip for you. If you slightly resize the things you've already posted once and give them a new name, you can post them again. I've done that before.
 
elizabethwest said:
Mattie! I had no idea you dabbled in art. Those azaleas are gorgeous!

A tip for you. If you slightly resize the things you've already posted once and give them a new name, you can post them again. I've done that before.

I've always drawn and sketched, since I was a kid. Unfortunately, I don't have much of my work scanned, but I'll happily post what I have.

Photography seems to have taken over my creative spirit since I was given a digital camera......and discovered that I seem to have a reasonable eye for a good picture.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.
 
Time for a few more postings.

These are two sketches I did of my sons, when the youngest (now 26) was 5, and the eldest (now 30), was 9. They're nothing special, but they do have sentimental value for me - obviously.
 

Attachments

  • sprog 1-aged-9.jpg
    sprog 1-aged-9.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 132
  • sprog 2 -aged-5.jpg
    sprog 2 -aged-5.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 102
I've always loved drawing from nature, acorns and ivy attached.
 

Attachments

  • acorns.jpg
    acorns.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 75
  • ivy.jpg
    ivy.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 68
This one is a pastel sketch of a section of cliffs that took my fancy while out walking one day. I just loved the planes and angles, and the way the sea lapped at the rocks at the bottom. Its not complete, but I was very happy with it as it is.
 

Attachments

  • cliffs.jpg
    cliffs.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 81
Time for a photograph...........choices, choices.........

My brother and his niece were visiting UK from Texas (a once a year visit for the niece to keep in touch with her 'other' family. Precocious little brat!), and I had been taking them out for a drive around the local countryside, the first time she had visited me in my neck of the woods. It was almost dark, we were on the top of a hill overlooking the coast, and this picture just popped into my camera. I love it.
 

Attachments

  • hilltop-sunset-march-04.jpg
    hilltop-sunset-march-04.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 86
Good Job Mat!!!
Cant wait to see more, have any of Arizona you can put up?
Cealy
 
Another nature drawing. A rather blowsy clematis I sketched a few years ago.
 

Attachments

  • clematis.jpg
    clematis.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 53
Lets see some of the cottage pictures!!!
You can start a whole new book of wild flowers and the cottage.
I cant wait!
C
 
SensualCealy said:
Lets see some of the cottage pictures!!!
You can start a whole new book of wild flowers and the cottage.
I cant wait!
C

I'll see what I can do. How about this one to start. It's currently the wallpaper on my desktop. Reminds me of England. (I was going to say 'home', but I have 2 homes now.)

It's a close up of buttercups and grasses in part of the wild garden we have round the back of the house where we sit to smoke and watch the world. In those moments of relative silence, we can hear a turkey (I kid you not), several wild pheasants in the hedgerows around the fields surrounding the village, crows up in poplar trees arguing and fighting, various birdsong, most of which is familiar, but I cannot put names to, the drone of huge, fat bumble bees....as well as dragonflies zipping over the bushes, and our tame robin who has obviously been fed in the past, because he sits there, proud as you like on a slab of concrete not far from us, and hops across until he's on the leg of the table, right by our feet. If he's not there, he's up in one of the old apple trees on a dead branch which has obviously become 'his' perch. Blissful in the warm summer sun. Utterly peaceful.
 

Attachments

  • cottage-garden1.jpg
    cottage-garden1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 55
This is part of the side of the house, and the overgrown pathway that takes us round to the back in our quiet sitting area.
 

Attachments

  • cottage-garden2.jpg
    cottage-garden2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 44
Love the pictures Mat!

The Cottage one of the side yard reminds me of a movie Cat and I watched a while back about two girls that went down to the rivers edge and found fairies. Something to do with a camera I think that would catch the fairies on film.

I think there is a story in that yard, girlfriend!
C
 
Roxanne, Raised Skirt.......thank you. I'd glad you enjoyed them. I will post more, but I'm a lazy old bat, so it may take some time.

Mat
 
Back
Top