The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh good! I really have a hard time taking very much seriously. Daddy always believed wit was a sign of intelligence and it has been my goal to cultivate the needle over the cudgel in most things. That was probably what made me really good at PSYOP. Great times, those, great times.

No doubt you scrambled any number of brains during your time in service. :D

You might want to use some of your experiences in future stories...changing the setting and the time period and retaining the intrigue...and adding some sex of course. ;)

No doubt you scrambled any number of brains during your time in service. :D

You might want to use some of your experiences in future stories...changing the setting and the time period and retaining the intrigue...and adding some sex of course. ;)

That's kind of what I have been thinking about within the context of Kismet. Since that story never got on any further than your last chapter, I think I may take my chapter with me as a stand-alone. The more I find out about Steampunk and the Laurie King novels about Mary Russell Holmes, the more I'm inclined to start doing some serious research. I know that Babbage's analytical engines have already shown up in fiction but the reviews I've read of them haven't been very favorable. Perhaps it would work better if viewed from the other side of the border in the Subcontinent.

Good night, folks. I'm still hammering away at the keyboard. 1200 words so far today. I wonder if I can break 1500 . . .

That's kind of what I have been thinking about within the context of Kismet. Since that story never got on any further than your last chapter, I think I may take my chapter with me as a stand-alone. The more I find out about Steampunk and the Laurie King novels about Mary Russell Holmes, the more I'm inclined to start doing some serious research. I know that Babbage's analytical engines have already shown up in fiction but the reviews I've read of them haven't been very favorable. Perhaps it would work better if viewed from the other side of the border in the Subcontinent.

As I recall, Babbage's engines suffered from overcomplexity, 'programming' glitches and general ignorance of their potential uses. If in fiction these problems did not exist, the engine's uses could be extrapolated into several scenarios featuring calculation of probabilities to devine future events.

G'night VM. :D

As I recall, Babbage's engines suffered from overcomplexity, 'programming' glitches and general ignorance of their potential uses. If in fiction these problems did not exist, the engine's uses could be extrapolated into several scenarios featuring calculation of probabilities to devine future events.

G'night VM. :D

Actually, in the last decade of the 20th century, Babbage's difference engine was constructed to his design and using technology that the 19th century could have matched. It works a treat. Given a close study of the analytical engine's plans, there is no reason to believe that it wouldn't do just as well. Admittedly it would be elephantine in size and laboriously slow by our standards but imagine an Internet Cafe' where all the workstations were telegraph keys. By the standards of, say, 1870 it would be lightning-like.

Actually, in the last decade of the 20th century, Babbage's difference engine was constructed to his design and using technology that the 19th century could have matched. It works a treat. Given a close study of the analytical engine's plans, there is no reason to believe that it wouldn't do just as well. Admittedly it would be elephantine in size and laboriously slow by our standards but imagine an Internet Cafe' where all the workstations were telegraph keys. By the standards of, say, 1870 it would be lightning-like.

I was not aware that a working model was ever constructed. Interesting. Admittedly it would be slow, but performing calculations in a half hour or so would be nothing short of miraculous...but what if one was constructed for evil purposes...? ;)

I was not aware that a working model was ever constructed. Interesting. Admittedly it would be slow, but performing calculations in a half hour or so would be nothing short of miraculous...but what if one was constructed for evil purposes...? ;)

I don't know about exactly 'evil', let's just say--Mahmoud's purposes!

I don't know about exactly 'evil', let's just say--Mahmoud's purposes!

Heh! Now that would be interesting. I likewise have plans for the two ladies in the harem, I just haven't gotten around to them as yet. Since the chain is defunct, I suppose we can do with the characters what we choose. ;)

I don't know why not. Once I get this current novel finished, I'll PM Red and ask. I'm pretty sure that's what 'the rules' imply, especially if we plan on taking them off Lit, anyway.

Unfortunately the quality of my company is deteriorating rapidly. I put in a full day and am starting to pay the price. Will I ache tomorrow! Good night, everyone. I'm for the leaf pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back