Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were right both times: First Battle of Copenhagen (1801) but history is rather hard on Sir Peter Parker. He gave Nelson discretion to withdraw. That is the signal Nelson is supposed to have 'not seen'.

Sir Peter Parker's orders were to try to neutralise the Danes, and prevent an alliance between Sweden, Denmark and Russia against the UK. His actions before and after the Battle of Copenhagen were criticised, but just by being in the Baltic he made the alliance less likely.

Was the Battle of Copenhagen really necessary? Historians still argue.

But Nelson's actions were those of a brilliant tactical commander in a very difficult action that could easily have been lost.

Actually,upon checking, I find that it was Admiral Hyde Parker.

And the supposed incident is surely the origin of the phrase the Nelsonian eye.
 
Good day, everyone.

phylum - noun 1.a. a direct line of descent within a group b. a group that constitutes or has the unity of such a phylum; esp: one of the usually primary divisions of the animal kingdon [the ~ Arthtopoda] 2. a group of languages related more remotely than those of a family or stock
 
Good day, everyone.

phylum - noun 1.a. a direct line of descent within a group b. a group that constitutes or has the unity of such a phylum; esp: one of the usually primary divisions of the animal kingdon [the ~ Arthtopoda] 2. a group of languages related more remotely than those of a family or stock

Since we're in a Linnaean mode,

phylogenetics n. the study of how related groups of organisms (e.g. species)mutate into closely-related but somewhat different life forms over a period of time.
 
Suzerain. Noun- A sovereign or state having some control over another state that is internally autonomous.

Certain authors really do come in handy for threads like these. I suppose I'd better find SOME sort of use for the language.
 
I have never encountered this next word before;

phylactery - noun 1. one or two small square leather boxes containing slips inscribed with spiritual passages and traditionally worn on the left arm and forehead by Jewish men during morning weekday prayers 2. AMULET
 


mezuzah n., A small piece of parchment inscribed with the biblical passages Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and 11:13-21 and marked with the word Shaddai, a name of the Almighty, that is rolled up in a container and affixed by many Jewish households to their door frames in conformity with Jewish law and as a sign of their faith.


Etymology:
Hebrew mzûzâ, doorpost, mezuzah






While he was in medical school, my pal moved to a downtown apartment. When I first visited him, as he opened the door, he pointed up at the corner of the doorframe and explained the metallic cylinder that was attached there.

I never knowingly met a Jewish person until I was thirteen. Up until that time, my sole exposure had been the character Rebecca in Ivanhoe. Based on that, I assumed they were some kind of strange and exotic foreigner.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezuzah

 
Very interesting, Trysail, thanks for sharing.

I did not know the next word, either, and am passed the Ss, so I am going back;

sententious - adj 1. terse, aphoristic, or moralistic in expression; PITHY, EPIGRAMMATIC 2.a. given to or abounding in aphoristic expression b. given to or abounding in excessive moralizing
 
At this point, I need a little help. Every now and again, Word 2003 suggests that a word I have chosen might better be changed for another (despite that I have English English selected as the language).
I used the word Waitress and it wanted to suggest Waiter or Servitor, neither of which defines the person as female, which the xxx-ess ending plainly does.

So -
If SERVITOR is defined in the OD as:-

A (male) personal or domestic attendant, a servant. Formerly esp., a person who waits at table.


would the female (ie., a waitress [as in waiting at table], be a servitrix or even servitrice? depending upon her age perhaps.
 
Last edited:
At this point, I need a little help. Every now and again, Word 2003 suggests that a word I have chosen might better be changed for another.

Word's checkers are iffy. At best!

Trust them only to flag egregious mistakes.

Even if they were better, it would still be true that you know what you meant—Word can't.
 
...

I used the word Waitress and it wanted to suggest Waiter or Servitor, neither of which defines the person as female, which the xxx-ess ending plainly does.

So -
If SERVITOR is defined in the OD as:-

A (male) personal or domestic attendant, a servant. Formerly esp., a person who waits at table.


would the female (ie., a waitress [as in waiting at table], be a servitrix or even servitrice? depending upon her age perhaps.

A waitress works in a hotel, restaurant or cafe, not in a private or stately home.

A servitor is a much more general term, covering a range of duties, including waiting at table. A Knight's squire could be a servitor. A serving wench could be a servitor BUT having male servants to wait at table is a sign of status and wealth because there was a specific tax for employing male servants.

As always, it depends on the context, and what you are trying to convey.

A maidservant could wait at table. A parlour maid would hand round tea and cakes. If they waited at table they would be of high status in the servants' hierarchy as skilled and trusted retainers. But if either did that in a commercial establishment, they would be waitresses.
 
Handley, that is a great question and I am glad Og could help you out with the answer. Now, I finally understand why high class restaurants only use male waiters. I always wondered about that.

In my last definition, I also did not know this word;

aphorism - noun 1. a concise statement of a principle 2. a terse formulation of a truth or sentiment; ADAGE, MAXIM
 
Tio, I not only missed it, I had to look up what a kinkajous was. Quite a cute little animal. I learn something new on this thread almost every day. Thanks.

And for the opposite of my last post;

photophilic - adj thriving in full light; requiring abundant light [~ plants]
 
Tio, I not only missed it, I had to look up what a kinkajous was. Quite a cute little animal. I learn something new on this thread almost every day. Thanks.

And for the opposite of my last post;

photophilic - adj thriving in full light; requiring abundant light [~ plants]

Hmmm. One kinkajou, two or more kinkajous, dear.
 
Carlus, thanks for correcting me. What would the plural of kinkajous be, anyway, kinkajouses. What was I thinking? LOL

phosphor - noun 1. cap: MORNING STAR; specif: Venus as the morning star 2. a phosphorescent substance; specif: a substance that emits light when excited by radiation
 
phosphor - noun 1. cap: MORNING STAR; specif: Venus as the morning star 2. a phosphorescent substance; specif: a substance that emits light when excited by radiation

As can be seen in a Cathode Ray Tube (eg., TV or stuff).


Kinkajoi, maybe? :D

Well, at least for those of us who remember a little of our high school Latin.

What's the plural of Servitrix ?
and what is the ending . . ice used for ?
 
What's the plural of Servitrix ?
and what is the ending . . ice used for ?

One servatrix, (not servitrix) two or more servatrices. (Pronounce that final "e".) If you want the Latin plural. (Just like Kleenex, Kleenices. :D :D )

Servatrixes is probably acceptable in today's English. It wasn't when I was a sprout.

The -ix morphs to -ic as the word inflects. Servatrice is the ablative singular and must be used with certain prepositions. (And the final "e" should be pronounced, in that form.)
 
Like I have said before, I learn something new on this thread all the time. Thank you, gentlemen all, for the imparting of your grammatical wisdom.

phosphene - noun a luminous impression due to excitation of the retina

Does anyone know what the definiton means?
 
Like I have said before, I learn something new on this thread all the time. Thank you, gentlemen all, for the imparting of your grammatical wisdom.

phosphene - noun a luminous impression due to excitation of the retina

Does anyone know what the definiton means?

Close an eye very tightly. You will probably experience a flash of "light" as you tighten. Then press on your eyelid with a finger (gently, please---I don't mean for you to put your eye out). You will perceive another flash.

Those flashes of perceived light, which are not caused by photons hitting your retina, are phosphenes.

The "stars" you see when something hits your head too hard are another phosphene.
 
Thank you, Carlus, now I understand the definition much better.

From the definition of this word, I have learned the name of a very familiar rock in my area;

phonolite - noun a gray or green volcanic rock consisting essentially of orthoclase and nepheline
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top