Works profile bar chart icon thingy?

Bianalhub

Virgin
Hi, I am new to this site and have only posted one story. Wondered if anyone knew what the bar chart icon thing relates to underneath my story within the works section of my profile. It has 14k next to it, surely it can't mean that 14000 people have read my story can it?

Hi, I am new to this site and have only posted one story. Wondered if anyone knew what the bar chart icon thing relates to underneath my story within the works section of my profile. It has 14k next to it, surely it can't mean that 14000 people have read my story can it?

More or less. That's the number of views your story has had since you posted it. Run your pointer over the bar icon and you'll see the exact # of views. Not necessarily the same as readers as someone could come back and read it more than once but it's a fairly good approximation.

More or less, but. The website can't tell someone who read it, from someone who opened it, looked briefly, and moved on. And I think each page counts as a separate hit. Bottom line, your story got noticed but you'll never know how many of those hits were actual reads.

In some categories, that's a typical to good number for a day or so. I have a story in non-erotic that didn't get that in two years.

More or less, but. The website can't tell someone who read it, from someone who opened it, looked briefly, and moved on. And I think each page counts as a separate hit. Bottom line, your story got noticed but you'll never know how many of those hits were actual reads.

In some categories, that's a typical to good number for a day or so. I have a story in non-erotic that didn't get that in two years.

Why do you believe that each page counts as a different hit?

I have no idea; I'm curious. That seems like a huge flaw in the count if it's true.

I'm a little skeptical about whether it's true, because it doesn't quite seem to track with the view and vote counts for my own stories. But I don't really know.

Why do you believe that each page counts as a different hit?

I have no idea; I'm curious. That seems like a huge flaw in the count if it's true.

I'm a little skeptical about whether it's true, because it doesn't quite seem to track with the view and vote counts for my own stories. But I don't really know.

No, each page does NOT count as a separate hit. How do I know? I tracked the views on the last two parts of a four part cycle (ie, folk reading through to the end), and the number of views tracked was almost identical for about a year, but the two parts had different page counts. When I read both parts myself, every page, the View count went up by one for both of the parts.

So 1 View is someone clicking in the first page, but you don't know if that person read the whole story or clicked out on the first paragraph. You can get a bit of a clue if you have multi-chapter stories.

No, each page does NOT count as a separate hit. How do I know? I tracked the views on the last two parts of a four part cycle (ie, folk reading through to the end), and the number of views tracked was almost identical for about a year, but the two parts had different page counts. When I read both parts myself, every page, the View count went up by one for both of the parts.

So 1 View is someone clicking in the first page, but you don't know if that person read the whole story or clicked out on the first paragraph. You can get a bit of a clue if you have multi-chapter stories.

That's good to know, and kudos to you for your view-counting geekdom. That was my suspicion, too, based on my review of my own story results.

So, another question I have is whether views are unique views: if a reader returns to a story several times (I do this) does each return count as a separate view?

That's good to know, and kudos to you for your view-counting geekdom. That was my suspicion, too, based on my review of my own story results.

So, another question I have is whether views are unique views: if a reader returns to a story several times (I do this) does each return count as a separate view?

Yes - I could see my own re-reads click over + 1 View.

Geekdom - not really; simple logic. Someone made the claim a while back that each page click was a View. So I re-read both parts (because I'd already seen the very close tracking over a long period) and noted the Views before and after. + 1

I suspect the average observational ability of someone counting their stroke rate isn't very high....

I have some series where chapters in the middle have more reads than chapters before them. And it's not always the chapters with the sex scenes, attracting rereads. But it's often the longer chapters. Maybe it's not related to page count, but I'm not convinced it's as simple as touching the first page.

Yes - I could see my own re-reads click over + 1 View.

Geekdom - not really; simple logic. Someone made the claim a while back that each page click was a View. So I re-read both parts (because I'd already seen the very close tracking over a long period) and noted the Views before and after. + 1

I suspect the average observational ability of someone counting their stroke rate isn't very high....

Seriously, EB...dont you have something (or someone) you should be doing? (smh) Next, you will be counting how many licks it takes....such a wise owl you are! ;) :devil:

A further way to test this would be to compare view:vote ratios for different stories. If each separate page click is a separate view, then one would expect longer stories would have significantly higher view:vote ratios than shorter stories. That does not appear to be the case with my stories, but I've only written 8, so the sample is too small to provide meaningful data.

And, by the way, in response to the OP's question at the start: I assume, regardless of how "views" are tallied, that the number of views far, far exceeds the number of times a story actually is read. My overall view:vote ratio is about 80:1. I suspect "views" outnumber "reads" by at least 5 to 1, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I base that in part on my own practice of scanning stories and sometimes not reading them, or of coming back to stories I've read already.

A further way to test this would be to compare view:vote ratios for different stories. If each separate page click is a separate view, then one would expect longer stories would have significantly higher view:vote ratios than shorter stories. That does not appear to be the case with my stories, but I've only written 8, so the sample is too small to provide meaningful data.

My sample pool is fifty or so stories, across several genres. The typical Vote/View is about 1%, stronger returns might go 1.5% but I've not seen higher than 1.8%. I have a long 23 part yarn where readers who settled in for the whole thing did so at Chap 4, I can clearly see where they went back and read chapters twice. This is where most of my "empirical data" (and I use the term loosely) comes from. I have a slower moving four part story where the last two parts are currently within 30 Views of each other - these two prove for me that Views have zero relationship with page count. + 1 is always +1, regardless of the number of pages

Seriously, EB...dont you have something (or someone) you should be doing? (smh) Next, you will be counting how many licks it takes....such a wise owl you are! ;) :devil:

Oh yes, I have someone I'm writing about. Several someones, and already an owl, a mouse, and a horse....

Oh yes, I have someone I'm writing about. Several someones, and already an owl, a mouse, and a horse....

:eek: a mouse? Such subtleties...I wonder why no one ever thought of that before? A mouse living and loving in an enchanted kingdom...next you will be writing of faeries and talking ducks with a lisp... Heads up, though; aardvarks have already been done. ;) But, that having been said...back to work, EB...dazzle me with your brilliance. :rose:

If you think views are confusing now, you should have been around when your story had a hundred views or more and it was still pending. :D

Manu finally tamed most of the spiders and bots.

If the view count is anywhere near accurate, I'm blown away. My count is over 30,000 in about a week and a half. Sure, not all of those are actual reads, but I had no idea Literotica was so popular.

I've have a few stories on a very popular e-book site where readers have to pay a little and I get almost no attention at all. Mostly, I want readers to enjoy my stories, so the money is not a big deal. That said, I'm trying to ignore all the nasty comments and bad ratings and hope that enough readers like my stories to make it all worthwhile.

Allen

I'm delighted to have at last had a story that has reached six-figure views. It's taken about seven months but, of course, views start to tail off when a story falls out of the New list.

The doctor tells me that the RSI I gave myself from clicking the View button so often will recover eventually! ;)

I'm delighted to have at last had a story that has reached six-figure views. It's taken about seven months but, of course, views start to tail off when a story falls out of the New list.

The doctor tells me that the RSI I gave myself from clicking the View button so often will recover eventually! ;)

The doctors around here are used to seeing it believe me. One of our more, uh, eccentric posters had to be hospitalized for it. Of course, he called views, sales. I wonder what the profits on four million clicks are on a free website? :D

Back