Time to shutter this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypoxia

doesn't watch television
We're nearing six full months of no activity here. Should SDC be shut down?

I've wondered this as well. It seems to serve no purpose. If the purpose of the thread is to discuss a story one has written, then the story feedback forum would seem to cover this. If the purpose is to talk about story-writing techniques with authors, then the author's forum covers it. I'm not sure what separate or additional space this forum is intended to cover.

The other thing I had noticed when I occasionally visited this forum a year ago or so is that on a few threads the moderator was threatening to shut down the thread because it veered outside the scope of the forum. That struck me as an odd position to take in a forum where there are almost no threads.

I actually think the format recommended but no longer used here could be moved over to Story Feedback.

That is, instead of a vague "Need feedback on story" title, it could actually say Story Discussion: "I Love Girls" by boywholovesgirls.

We could fiddle with that format; it should probably include the category, and maybe a one-sentence description.

eg:

Story Discussion: "I Love Girls". Coming-of-age romantic story. Romance.
Story Discussion: "She Likes it Big." Man cuckolded by BBC. Interracial.

that format might improve the Story Feedback forum quite a bit.

I actually think the format recommended but no longer used here could be moved over to Story Feedback.

That is, instead of a vague "Need feedback on story" title, it could actually say Story Discussion: "I Love Girls" by boywholovesgirls.

We could fiddle with that format; it should probably include the category, and maybe a one-sentence description.

eg:

Story Discussion: "I Love Girls". Coming-of-age romantic story. Romance.
Story Discussion: "She Likes it Big." Man cuckolded by BBC. Interracial.

that format might improve the Story Feedback forum quite a bit.

Makes sense to me. The story feedback forum isn't visited so often that it could not accommodate adding "story discussion" to its subject matter. It could be a Story Discussion & Feedback forum.

This would have been a good idea for a forum for those wanting to bring up a story for freewheeling discussion, but it wasn't that. It was highly structured by a "mod" (functioning as an arguer and attacker rather than a moderator) who rejected anything not following her tight rules and who developed multiple alts that supported each other in arguments and attacked others and who was eventually outed for it and then left (after making another go at changing identities and being outed again).

It would still be useful as a place where authors or readers could identify stories to talk about and discuss without a tight rules structure on how the discussion could unfold. It would be a great place for authors to give background discussion on the writing of their stories posted to Lit.

This would have been a good idea for a forum for those wanting to bring up a story for freewheeling discussion, but it wasn't that. It was highly structured by a "mod" (functioning as an arguer and attacker rather than a moderator) who rejected anything not following her tight rules and who developed multiple alts that supported each other in arguments and attacked others and who was eventually outed for it and then left (after making another go at changing identities and being outed again).

It would still be useful as a place where authors or readers could identify stories to talk about and discuss without a tight rules structure on how the discussion could unfold. It would be a great place for authors to give background discussion on the writing of their stories posted to Lit.

Good point. I hadn't considered the rules of the forum. I'll look them over again. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :rose:

I only ventured into this forum briefly and intermittently, but this was always my impression. The moderator was constantly threatening to shut down discussion because it wasn't "appropriate." It's the only forum I've seen where that happened a lot. And it struck me as a ridiculous attitude to take where there were almost no contributions. Where contributions are few, the standards should be relaxed to encourage more contributions. The moderator took the opposite approach, and seems to have driven people away.

At this point it seems so dead that it just makes sense to fold it into the story feedback forum. That's also not a heavily trafficked forum, so it could easily accommodate this addition.

Proposed stories are discussed in Story Ideas. Existing stories can be discussed in Story Feedback. Technique discussions fit into Author's Hangout. This here 'circle' hasn't served a purpose for some time. Might as well restructure.

Mea culpa: since I've dropped political and wordgame diversions, I find myself mostly inhabiting writing discussions. These are still fun, usually.

It’s interesting to find out some history about this forum, and other writers’ opinions about it. From its name, I assumed this was a book club; an area where participants read, reviewed and discussed a story from the site that’s NOT one of their own.

That idea interests me; but if this is a forum for feedback, I agree that it’s redundant.

All at once, simply by reading this thread carefully, I understand a lot about several different Lit forums, almost instantly, that I've been confused about ever since I joined and curiosity sent me hither and thither trying to figure things out. Glad I looked. How about that, now I understand! But the question arises; If this isn't it, is there a forum to discuss aspects, or enjoyment, of stories one simply wants to discuss, but didn't create?

You THINK that it would be a wonderful chance for an author to have a place on here to discuss a story and kick back at what they may feel to be uncalled for criticism.

But I don't believe more then 5% of the writers on here would actually have the balls to do something like that. To many child writers who wouldn't be able to dispute their lack of knowledge on something

And to many so called writers without the ability to take criticism by doing anything other then stomping their feet and hiding under they bed.

So its kind of fruitless.

But the question arises; If this isn't it, is there a forum to discuss aspects, or enjoyment, of stories one simply wants to discuss, but didn't create?
This is the forum, yes, but getting commentary going on someone else's work is a struggle. Someone tried to start a discussion on one of my stories several years ago, I think it lasted maybe a page before it fizzled out. As the writer, I got some interesting input, but on the whole it's not something folk want to do.

It's hard enough for writers to get feedback when they ask for it, over in the Feedback Forum. The thread history here speaks for itself, I think.

This is the forum, yes, but getting commentary going on someone else's work is a struggle. Someone tried to start a discussion on one of my stories several years ago, I think it lasted maybe a page before it fizzled out. As the writer, I got some interesting input, but on the whole it's not something folk want to do.

It's hard enough for writers to get feedback when they ask for it, over in the Feedback Forum. The thread history here speaks for itself, I think.

Seems to me the thing to do is to shut down this forum, and then post a notice on the Feedback forum that people are free to initiate a discussion not just of their own story but of another person's story. The Feedback forum isn't an especially busy forum, and it easily could accommodate whatever meager increase in traffic this addition might bring.

The MOD who was strictly limiting what could be posted here is long gone now. The forum could probably be revived with a couple of threads proposing Lit. stories for discussion without someone breathing on your neck and dictating what could be included in the discussion and what not.

Why would you want to shut it down when instead you can talk for months about shutting it down?

I'd vote to shut it down. There's so little activity here that it's a waste of resources. Better to replace it with another category--perhaps "Memoirs?"

The MOD who was strictly limiting what could be posted here is long gone now. The forum could probably be revived with a couple of threads proposing Lit. stories for discussion without someone breathing on your neck and dictating what could be included in the discussion and what not.

I agree, I just found the first story i've ever read on this site and started a thread about it.

Poetry and Novels has 'Feedback' and 'Discussion' in the same forum. Can't see why Stories couldn't do the same (although it seems as though that's already the case, it's just not named as such).

With no activity whatsoever for nearly 6 months, it certainly seems like it. It seems to me that the issues originally intended for here are being adequately addressed elsewhere, or don't need to be addressed at all.

use it

I think it is up to us to use it as it is our website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back