Free Association Thread 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

And such is the state of affairs in both the printed press and the broadcast media today. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, that's also a big part of having a truly "free" press. Now if we could just get the low info reader/viewer to question what they hear, research stuff, compare various news outlets slant on things, and stop accepting everything that comes out of their favorite newsperson's mouth as gospel.

I'm not holding my breath, though. :(

And such is the state of affairs in both the printed press and the broadcast media today. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, that's also a big part of having a truly "free" press. Now if we could just get the low info reader/viewer to question what they hear, research stuff, compare various news outlets slant on things, and stop accepting everything that comes out of their favorite newsperson's mouth as gospel.

I'm not holding my breath, though. :( .

Regrettably, most readers don't read to be informed; they read to be entertained. It's the same with most broadcast viewers. And if the media doesn't 'entertain' them (that is tell them what colour socks some minor would-be pop star was spotted wearing at some bar that no sensible person has ever heard of), the media won't have any readers/viewers to sell to the advertisers. It's all rather depressing. :(

Regrettably, most readers don't read to be informed; they read to be entertained. It's the same with most broadcast viewers. And if the media doesn't 'entertain' them (that is tell them what colour socks some minor would-be pop star was spotted wearing at some bar that no sensible person has ever heard of), the media won't have any readers/viewers to sell to the advertisers. It's all rather depressing. :(

That's Entertainment!!

(by the way, I totally ignore the tabloid press online. For the simple fact I am not in the slightest bit interested in knowing "what colour socks some minor would-be pop star" wears or the latest Kardashian gossip. The fact I am even aware of the importance of the name Kardashian is a sign some of the shit trickles into my consciousness occasionally.)

Last edited:

I'm not holding my breath, though. :(

Once upon a time, we used to have a "Government Information Film"; a film dealing fairly with some fairly serious subject or other in a fairly light-hearted and informative way.
I have the distinct feeling that there's a real need for it these days. There's far too much "misinformation" available.

That's Entertainment!!

(by the way, I totally ignore the tabloid press online. For the simple fact I am not in the slightest bit interested in knowing "what colour socks some minor would-be pop star" wears or the latest Kardashian gossip. The fact I am even aware of the importance of the name Kardashian is a sign some of the shit trickles into my consciousness occasionally.)

You are not alone; there are lots of us for whom the doings of some Z-list starlet is less important than the next cup of coffee.

Once upon a time, we used to have a "Government Information Film"; a film dealing fairly with some fairly serious subject or other in a fairly light-hearted and informative way.
I have the distinct feeling that there's a real need for it these days. There's far too much "misinformation" available.

You are not alone; there are lots of us for whom the doings of some Z-list starlet is less important than the next cup of coffee.

Must be time for a coffee break.

There's no such thing as strong coffee; just weak people.

Discussing with my wife over the purchase of a coffee maker using fresh beans. If we buy an 8 or a 12 cup machine, will we end up drinking more coffee? I don't want to drink any more coffee than I do now: a couple a day.
So, I think I'd prefer to just buy a coffee grinder and make single cups. We can get pretty good coffee beans here.

I always found Leonard Cohen far too gloomy; quite the antithesis of old-fashioned Rock & Roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back