2009 Survivor Bonus Round Challenge #3: Earth Day.

I'm compromising on representing the acceleration by simply doubling the white space between lines, which ignores the effects of the vertical height of each text line. If I include the text line itself, the last interval would be 31 lines of white space preceding the last line (progression of 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32). I'm treating the text lines themselves as points of no vertical dimension (although this also has a misrepresentation, as the first two lines would show no acceleration at all).

Story problem: If a poem is launched with a linear velocity of five meters per line (either iambic or trochaic) with an interlinear acceleration of ten meters per second per second, what is the angular velocity of the ending foot when the poem is a sonnet? Triolet? Free verse (approximate the asymptotic value, as the poem is of indeterminate length)?

To solve this problem, disregard the effect of metaphoric friction.


that is easy: 42
 
that is easy: 42
But what units, Ms. Swirls? Surely you remember factor-label method and know that mere number means nothing in physics. Is that 42 radians per second? Metaphors per stanza? Allusions per career?

It makes a difference.

And where does i fit in?
 
But what units, Ms. Swirls? Surely you remember factor-label method and know that mere number means nothing in physics. Is that 42 radians per second? Metaphors per stanza? Allusions per career?

It makes a difference.

And where does i fit in?

i slips in between ribs
the sinking space as in
i wish i would have caught u
before you got this fast
 
But what units, Ms. Swirls? Surely you remember factor-label method and know that mere number means nothing in physics. Is that 42 radians per second? Metaphors per stanza? Allusions per career?

It makes a difference.

And where does i fit in?
Dimensional analysis might indicate an angular velocity in units of lines per square second?
And is your origin based upon the instantaneous radius of curvature?
Seems this thread is becoming intangible !
 
as a matter of interest would a blank page be a concrete poem, being infinity inside the black hole of my imagination?
 
Question
I've got my old art stuff out and been trying at an original picture so if I write into it does this meet the criteria please?
 
Question
I've got my old art stuff out and been trying at an original picture so if I write into it does this meet the criteria please?

Could be, but depending on what you do with it, sounds like it would be more like illustrated poetry.

In concrete poetry, the text itself forms the image. I am not sure if Limbido's poem given as an example (the branches) would be considered concrete or illustrated. Fine line I suppose.

From wikipedia:

Concrete poetry, pattern poetry or shape poetry is poetry in which the typographical arrangement of words is as important in conveying the intended effect as the conventional elements of the poem, such as meaning of words, rhythm, rhyme and so on.

It is sometimes referred to as visual poetry; a term that has evolved to have distinct meaning of its own, because the words themselves form a picture. This can be called imagery because you use your senses to figure out what the words mean.

My suggestion for you is the advice I am giving myself: go out and read as much concrete poetry as you can over the next week before attempting to do it yourself. The month has not even started yet-- we have time :)
 
Here's an ASCII visual




Code:
                                                      g
  d                                               o   e 
 i g                                             r       n
r   e  makes crust plate  s        o          y results
                                      u    c
                                        b   o 
                                         d   n
                                           c   s
                                            t   u
                                              i   m
                                               o  e
                                                n  s


(if it doesn't get messed up spacing)
 
Last edited:
code & fixed font didn't work (and, no, no tabs, only spaces)
Another try, with image ataqchment:
.txt -> .doc -> .pdf -> .png
 

Attachments

  • ConcretePlate.png
    ConcretePlate.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 14
I'm not good at this spacing lark so if I write or type it out then scan into the computer and submit it in the same way as an illustrated will that do. Must say this has crashed what I was going to do but will just have to save the idea for another time tut my brainhurts on this one you are making bits of it work that have been slumbering a long time!
 
I'm not good at this spacing lark so if I write or type it out then scan into the computer and submit it in the same way as an illustrated will that do.

I may do this as well. I do not have the software that allows you to curve and swerve and rotate words....so I will most likely go low-tech (unless the poem is easier to space)

The poem does not have to be a whacky picture, btw.


HEY LAUREN: any possibility you can clue us in on how to do the code for alternative spacing in the regular submission route?
 
You can write the poem in Word, using Verdana 10 - because that's what Lit pages uses. Type in the spaces you need to shape the poems:

. . . . . . .I
. . . . . .find
. . . . .instead
. . . .mountains
. . .of unfinished
. .poems, my half-
.forgotten dreams.

Then replace the spaces to the left of the words with  

             I
           find
         instead
       mountains
     of unfinished
   poems, my half-
 forgotten dreams.

That should do the trick.

Also, if you instead want to submit as an illustrated poem, you can make a .gif file with only the two colours (white and black), which will make the file very small, regardless of the size of the image. The image just needs to have a width of 480 pixels or less. I can do that if anyone is having trouble with it, just send me the poem in a word file.
 
Back
Top