50 Shades opinions

I clerked in an ER in NYC in the early 80s. We saw quite a variety of sex toy (or objects attempted for use as a sex toy?) incidents, and many more by men than women. I would venture that being in New York, itself, created a certain self-selection of patients.

I think the problem lies in the fact there is just such a greater plethora of stuff to stick up your butt these days than they used to have. And bigger stuff. Waaaaay bigger stuff to stuff!:eek:

I think the problem lies in the fact there is just such a greater plethora of stuff to stick up your butt these days than they used to have. And bigger stuff. Waaaaay bigger stuff to stuff!:eek:

My all time favorite (I swear, I had to leave the desk and hide in a corner to make myself quit laughing to tears) was a sash weight...a long metal cylinder, used to counterbalance old-school windows. They used to be made of lead. We (the staff) started wondering how long it would need to stay in place to induce lead poisoning. A theoretical research grant application was even written later that night. I am NOT prone to giggle-fits, but that night was epic.

There was the rumor about hamsters or gerbils. It stayed a rumor for as long as I worked there. So disappointed! :devil:

Reading through the last three comments on this thread, I can see that the topic has changed a bit from the opening post. I now very much want to go read your posts.

I came to the thread because I just saw on Facebook that the author of 50 shades is set to re-release the series from Christian Grey's point of view. She appears to be taking another idea from Stephenie Meyer's playbook although I am sure she'll publish and make bank.

Reading through the last three comments on this thread, I can see that the topic has changed a bit from the opening post. I now very much want to go read your posts.

I came to the thread because I just saw on Facebook that the author of 50 shades is set to re-release the series from Christian Grey's point of view. She appears to be taking another idea from Stephenie Meyer's playbook although I am sure she'll publish and make bank.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Unless she's acquired a decent editor somewhere along the way (and this is a time when I wish, oh how I wish, editors were paid by the fix LOL) it's not going to be good. <sigh>

Not to sound full of myself, but I'm starting to wish that I had the compulsion to write an autobiography. I've posted a few "experiences" over the years, but just don't have the writerly drive so many folks do.

I clerked in an ER in NYC in the early 80s. We saw quite a variety of sex toy (or objects attempted for use as a sex toy?) incidents, and many more by men than women. I would venture that being in New York, itself, created a certain self-selection of patients.

As in more hole-stuffing fun being had or more people willing to go to the ER if it went south? I'm banking on the latter, personally. You can do anything you want as long as you don't make anyone else deal with it seems to be the unwritten law in the Upper Midwest.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Unless she's acquired a decent editor somewhere along the way (and this is a time when I wish, oh how I wish, editors were paid by the fix LOL) it's not going to be good. <sigh>

Not to sound full of myself, but I'm starting to wish that I had the compulsion to write an autobiography. I've posted a few "experiences" over the years, but just don't have the writerly drive so many folks do.

Oh, I am not expecting it to be worth reading, but it is a brilliant move on the author's part as she will make another fortune.

Something tells me we should all wish you were a writer, too.

Last edited:
Oh, I am not expecting it to be worth reading, but it is a brilliant move on the author's part as she will make another fortune.

Something tells me we should all wish you were a writer, too.

I guess all that hard criticism will make her weep...... all the way to the bank.
:D

I couldn't find a copy of Book ONE to look at. So I examined Book TWO.

In a nutshell the writing quality is par with most romance novels, maybe a tidge better.

As for BDSM lifestyle, I dated three women who live BDSM, and dated one who wanted the life style. All were different, all were BBW, and all loved sex. I know squat about BDSM life style, I'm more like Mister Miyagi with his JC PENNY belt and combat decorations. But I got a Sears Roebuck black belt, leather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm3ikyMzMlA

Last edited by a moderator:

I saw that, too. Whatever has been said about E.L. James and her writing, I'm jealous of her lucrative niche.

Back