A Poet Walks Into a Bar . . .

baretender?

oops, sorry, freudian slip

bartender? vodka, ice and a slice if you will. i've a damned ballad to piece together and haven't a clue where to start :(

This is the colonies 'Chip, slice of lemon or pizza?..*places vodka rocks with a twist on the bar. Harry leans forward; October challenge? I've written three stanza? not sure about that three beat four beat business. Would you care to look at the first four lines?
As to where to start... what is that quote... "start at the beginning..."
Baretender? are you fishing 'Chip? *Walks away to hide smile

This is the colonies 'Chip, slice of lemon or pizza?..*places vodka rocks with a twist on the bar. Harry leans forward; October challenge? I've written three stanza? not sure about that three beat four beat business. Would you care to look at the first four lines?
As to where to start... what is that quote... "start at the beginning..."
Baretender? are you fishing 'Chip? *Walks away to hide smile

that'd be a slice of lime por favor

but did you mention pizza? :cool:

can't be looking at yours till your first draft's done and i have the bones of mine down or else it'll derail me

yes, the beginning - i need a phrase to ambush me first then i can get a running start on the thing... but where that phrase will end up in the arrangement is anyone's guess

fishinchips? *facepalm*

*sets fresh drink w/lime on bar
*facepalm* ...What? a slap?
A phrase for an autumnal allegory about all things creepy?
think of your stored ...umm ...icon's of dark and ...ahh descriptive emotions...
Preaching instead of bartending, but it's an occupational hazard as well as caveat to those that would drink in silence

Last edited:
*sets fresh drink w/lime on bar
*facepalm* ...What? a slap?
A phrase for an autumnal allegory about all things creepy?
think of your stored ...umm ...icon's of dark and ...ahh descriptive emotions...
Preaching instead of bartending, but it's an occupational hazard as well as caveat to those that would drink in silence

lovely... ty

*sips*

no no, the sort of palm to face hiding the expression if not the audible groan at the joke

yes... that's... really helpful...

tell me that's not a soapbox you're standing on behind the bar :cattail:

I believe I must be standing on the shoulders of Robert A. Heinlein, or perhaps he sits on my shoulder as I write.
Yes 'twas an cheap play on words bordering on a pun (I suppose)
Oldman wanted to use ...can't be looking at yours ... in response to the earlier freudian slip
Glad I helped in some small way unless ... really helpful ...was sarcastic
*Pours a fresh coffee, Is it happy hour in the UK?

Chipbutty if you need a soapbox, you can have mine from the Voting Philosophies thread. I'm done with it. ;):rolleyes:

*Harry sets a highball on the bar...
Desejo's thread? ...posted a poem about that mess today read the 'tags' if you can see them.

I just wanted to say that near Bard College is a path to the Hudson River called "The Poet's WalK". It's a lovely little park, complete with views and a gazebo, And every time I see the title to this thread, my mind fills it in as Poet's Walk. :cool:

Carry on . . .

Ok. I typed bar because it was shorter than erotica site poetry forum. But so here you are. Maybe you are new. Maybe you are not. Please introduce yourself by letting us know a few things at your discretion.

Possible offerings: favorite poet that you have read, what brought you here, if you are currently in bondage hanging from the ceiling with only the use of your hands, etc.

I am in New York. I enjoy reading BJ Ward, Sharon Olds, Edna St. Vincent Millay and Marianne Moore. I am currently unfettered though full of designs. I was brought here by the dirty stories in the other part of the forum. I like watching documentaries and show jumping.

Ok. You're up! battah battah battah battah . . .

HAPPY HOUR (maybe only 50 min.) 6 to 7 central time zone *Harry turns on sign and clocks in
He goes to the bar and pours a straight tonic water.

why's happy hour so late? *cool frown*
just as well it's a day off so i don't have to get up so early, so just a quickie...

that'll be a white wine spritzer, if you please, H. got any peanuts?

Mixes a 'vin ordinare spritzer' sets out w/nuts n pretzels (all heavily salted...old baretender trick)
Pandora had a nice prose poem out today, didn't feel qualified to comment but it gave me much to think about
napkin?

Mixes a 'vin ordinare spritzer' sets out w/nuts n pretzels (all heavily salted...old baretender trick)
Pandora had a nice prose poem out today, didn't feel qualified to comment but it gave me much to think about
napkin?

danke ... oh, you did wash your hands first, yeah? only i've heard about bar nuts :D

i've read it but will comment tomorrow when i've more time. qualified? don't be a dork - the only qualification required is your honest thoughts. that's it. we learn from crafting our comments and as writers learn from getting insight into how our writes are seen by others. it's all about different perspectives and can be fascinating.

oh, yes please

so, (and yeah, i saw what you did there) what have you done today to make you feel proud? (someone sings that, it's funny. you may smile)

Set out another spritzer 2 for one during happy hour
(and yeah, i saw what you did there) ...Where?
Pride? matters little ... satisfaction, however fleeting, is sweet.
I listen to little music these days ...could use the smile....(glances at the clock, wipes bar)

sorry, H, you're gonna have to leave your reply scribbled on the napkin for me to read. time i got on home. take care, due.

*puts on long leather coat, turns up collar and heads out into the night*

Set out another spritzer 2 for one during happy hour
(and yeah, i saw what you did there) ...Where?
Pride? matters little ... satisfaction, however fleeting, is sweet.
I listen to little music these days ...could use the smile....(glances at the clock, wipes bar)

baretender :D

*gone*

another slip wish I could say it was intended...
*Harry shuts off sign and leaves

HAPPY HOUR (maybe only 50 min.) 6 to 7 central time zone *Harry turns on sign early and clocks in
He goes to the bar and pours a thick black coffee then adds Kahula.

a poet walks into a bar, goes to a whorehouse, writes about it, gets that part chopped out by E. Pound
becomes
king of the hill
for 40 years
another poet walks into a bar, doesn't live
another poet walks into a bar, never leaves, sells 17 books
some where there is a morale or a joke in this

God walks into a bar
do you serve poets here?
yes
what are you fucking nuts?
the bar burns down that night

actually it was arson by the bar owner, god was just the cover story for insurance purposes

Twelve (now we are on first name basis since we are drinking together), THAT was the best thing you've ever written. THIS is no insult. I really mean it. That was brilliant.

Twelve (now we are on first name basis since we are drinking together), THAT was the best thing you've ever written. THIS is no insult. I really mean it. That was brilliant.

a poet who,who,who? is what you are thinking, a misdirect in the build up
another poet
another poet 1,2,3 and
some where there is a morale or a joke in this where is he going with this?

God... MORALE
where is the joke?

actually it was arson by the bar owner, god was just the cover story for insurance purposes
double misdirect

actually, Eliot, Thomas, and Buk, which had nothing to do with the story
now that you see the structure, it's not funny. variant of this is in a walk on the path
advantage to this in writing, reader can not get to the end before he should
it is to the writer's advantage never to do a straight line
in your latest poem, you have two lines, the fight, the mother; with the lines going off in an entirely different direction at the end. to be honest, probably you didn't even think about the internal structure, I didn't. It's more a matter of I have this, I have that, how do I tie it together. It takes all the "magic" away talking about it. But it is the internal structure that supports it, until the reader is done.
as far as best i've done, no just I sat down and wrote it. I've written things five levels deep, so if you get there, it is like nothing you ever thought of.

Since harry is sudsing it up here, that little piece of doggerel I left has two directions, puss has two meanings and putting the lid down also can imply a bi-directional ambiguity, i.e. coming up also.

morale...
moral...
morel...

So different in meaning and only slightly different in pronunciation and spelling. A bunch of moral morels would really boost morale around here. I guess the same way dead poets may.

Morels are not on the Happy Hour menu. Harry counts his tips, (some intrinsic) and stuffs them in a pocket. His back hurt and he was out of fucking flexeril... one more drink.
Anon? (pretty sure it means 'til the morrow, ...but goodbye is inherent
More than you wanted to know...http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=anon
Puss? face/cat/young girl/a hare ...the cat that follows the rat/mouse

I've written things five levels deep, so if you get there, it is like nothing you ever thought of.

in my head, as i write, i'm often seeing two or three levels/layers of ambiguity; that's not to say the reader will see those as it will depend on what they bring to the table, and there's no reason to expect a reader to have to work so hard to 'get there' as most simply won't. to be able to read and consider at leisure, as from a poetry book whilst sat comfy in an armchair or bed, is a different kettle of fish to sitting at the 'puter to digest and extract all the yumminess from a write.

of course, if they do take the time, and can see what you are seeing, then it's a wonderful shared moment.

Back